The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales - where it all began

+6
ScarletSpiderman
gowales
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
bedfordwelsh
Adam D
10 posters

Go down

Wales - where it all began Empty Wales - where it all began

Post by Adam D Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:01 am

The Wales 2012 RBS 6 Nations squad has been pictured as they have never collectively been seen before – each wearing the club kit which they wore at the start of their rugby careers.

Head Coach Warren Gatland’s 37-man squad took time out from their busy training schedule this week to pay homage to the 13 Principality Premiership clubs (at times of appearances) that helped to get the players where they are today.

Every member of the squad, which has just returned from a pre-tournament training camp in Poland, has featured in Wales’ top club rugby competition for at least one club and each of the players were asked to nominate the side they felt most synonymous with.

In instances where players had featured for more than one club and they felt equal allegiances, the club was chosen for them, but, to-a-man, each player relished the opportunity to show a little piece of their personal heritage for the historic photo.

Llanelli RFC can boast to having made the greatest contribution to the current squad, they could almost field an entire backline of internationals, with a grand total of 10 players, including four uncapped, representing one of the WRU’s original member clubs – their players are: Mike Phillips, Stephen Jones, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Rhys Priestland, Lee Byrne, and the uncapped Liam Williams, Rhodri Jones, Aaron Shingler and Lou Reed.

The next highest representation is from Wales ’ capital club, Cardiff , with five internationals including captain Sam Warburton, plus the uncapped wing Harry Robinson.

Neath have provided five players in the current squad and Aberavon, Bridgend, Glamorgan Wanderers, Pontypridd and Swansea have all sent two players each from grass roots to international stardom.

Single, but vital contributions, come from Cross Keys (Toby Faletau), Ebbw Vale (Dan Lydiate), Llandovery (George North) and Newport (Andy Powell).

“Welsh rugby must never forget its roots,” said WRU Group Chief Executive Roger Lewis.

“Our premiership clubs are the foundation stones upon which the international game is built. This picture is a wonderful way of expressing how important the Principality Premiership is to Welsh rugby.

“The fact every member of the current squad has worked their way up through the pathway structure we have in place to develop players is something we should all be proud of.

“All the boys are extremely proud of their rugby heritage and they were very enthusiastic about taking part in this photograph.”

Graeme Yorston, Chief Operating Officer of Principality Building Society, sponsors of the Premiership commented: ‘Principality believes that the Premiership is pivotal in the Welsh rugby triangle and this photograph demonstrates just how valuable the league is in developing young talent from the village playing field to the national game. We are extremely proud of the contribution we have made in supporting the success of the 6 Nations Squad.’

WALES ’ 37-MAN RBS 6 NATIONS SQUAD PLAYERS ARE PICTURED REPRESENTING THE FOLLOWING CLUBS:

ABERAVON: Justin TIPURIC, Ashley BECK

BRIDGEND: Ryan BEVINGTON, Ryan JONES, Rhys WEBB

CARDIFF : Alex CUTHBERT, Bradley DAVIES, Rhys GILL, Leigh HALFPENNY, Jamie ROBERTS, Harry ROBINSON

CARMARTHEN QUINS: Ken OWENS

CROSS KEYS: Toby FALETAU

EBBW VALE: Dan LYDIATE

GLAMORGAN WANDERERS: Sam WARBURTON, Lloyd WILLIAMS

LLANDOVERY: George NORTH

LLANELLI: Lee BYRNE, Jonathan DAVIES, Rhodri JONES, Stephen JONES, Mike PHILLIPS, Rhys PRIESTLAND, Lou REED, Aaron SHINGLER, Liam WILLIAMS, Scott WILLIAMS

NEATH: Ian EVANS, James HOOK, Paul JAMES, Adam JONES, Craig MITCHELL

NEWPORT : Andy POWELL

PONTYPRIDD: Gethin JENKINS, Matthew REES

SWANSEA : Huw BENNETT, Gavin HENSON

Wales - where it all began Wales6nationssquadclubs

Great Photo!

Larger version of photo:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Adam D on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Wales - where it all began Empty Re: Wales - where it all began

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:12 am

Yeah I like this idea and good to see it not just the 'big boys' that make contributions and grass roots rugby must be developed and encouraged.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:38 am

Could have sworn Ryan Jones started out at Newport?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:39 am

Henson's Brits Bingo shirt must have been in the wash.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Henson's Brits Bingo shirt must have been in the wash.

That's a crap remark, even by your standards.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:51 am

Great photo and brilliant to see the clubs represented.

Looking forward to the team announcement.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:50 am

How do you view the image? I've got a Mac would that have anything to do with it?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:56 am

I think that Steve Jones started with Carmarthen Quins (but it may have been athletic).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:04 pm

Cool photie OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:12 pm

Is that Liam Williams in the middle of the back row? They've been feeding him well.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:20 pm

I posted somthing about this a while back, but I wonder if something could be done to make the Welsh Premiership a bit more high quality, a bit more joined up with the regions, and a bit more 'sexy'?! I don't want players to play more games than they already do so something would have to change, but if the Welsh players could be released back to their clubs for a certain number of games a season then I think that would improve the league, might get the crowds in, etc. Maybe they could scrap the LV and do that instead if it was televised. Maybe make it derbies for 2 weeks or something.

I like the idea of a 'state of origin' type thing, but I think there may be some contractual issues with players going to another region's clubs to play. However, all players I think are technically linked to a club side so they could go and play for them for a certain number of weeks per year.

Perhpas this is the way it should be anyway. Should players be club players first and foremost and then get called up to represent the region? That way it would be a bit like the NPC in NZ where the S15 stars play for their club sides when the S15 is not on. At the moment players here are region first and foremost and the top stars will rarely if ever turn out for their club.

Probably a stupid idea, but I'd certain be more inclined to watch the Welsh Prem on top of regional rugby if they had these sort of weeks. And the links between region and club, and between supporters of clubs and regions, would be strengthened.

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:26 pm

Griff wrote:I posted somthing about this a while back, but I wonder if something could be done to make the Welsh Premiership a bit more high quality, a bit more joined up with the regions, and a bit more 'sexy'?! I don't want players to play more games than they already do so something would have to change, but if the Welsh players could be released back to their clubs for a certain number of games a season then I think that would improve the league, might get the crowds in, etc. Maybe they could scrap the LV and do that instead if it was televised. Maybe make it derbies for 2 weeks or something.

I like the idea of a 'state of origin' type thing, but I think there may be some contractual issues with players going to another region's clubs to play. However, all players I think are technically linked to a club side so they could go and play for them for a certain number of weeks per year.

Perhpas this is the way it should be anyway. Should players be club players first and foremost and then get called up to represent the region? That way it would be a bit like the NPC in NZ where the S15 stars play for their club sides when the S15 is not on. At the moment players here are region first and foremost and the top stars will rarely if ever turn out for their club.

Probably a stupid idea, but I'd certain be more inclined to watch the Welsh Prem on top of regional rugby if they had these sort of weeks. And the links between region and club, and between supporters of clubs and regions, would be strengthened.

I think we would have to sort out the season so instead of all the confusing blocks, competitions built up to international through the season, It would mean moving the six nations from Feb-March though and the anticipation of the 6N is about the only thing that gets me through the long january.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:27 pm

Actually, am I being dumb???! Is this fake? Looking at the big picture (when you press 'spoiler') Lou Reed looks like he's been photoshopped in!

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:49 pm

Read the article, they chose the club which they feel synonymous with!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:09 pm

Griff

It would be nice to see the season structured more like the southern hemisphere in my opinion.

HEC then internationals then premiership. The regional players could draft in to their club sides for premiership action at the stipulation of the WRU.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:47 pm

If you're going to re-structure, then it should be: Domestic, Heineken Cup, 6 Nations, Summer tours, Autumn internationals (which would be the World Cup once per 4 years). Scrap the LV, we've got the B & I Cup now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down