The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Injury Worries For Murray

+5
Calder106
Danny_1982
newballs
bogbrush
hawkeye
9 posters

Go down

Injury Worries For Murray Empty Injury Worries For Murray

Post by hawkeye Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:00 pm

After the Australian Open Murray confidently predicted that he was closer to the top three players than he had ever been. He had hoped that he would be pushing Djokovic, Nadal and Federer for the very top spaces in the sport. How disapointing it must be therefore that just days later he has had to admit that he was hampered by niggling injuries throughout the tournament. These injuries have forced him to withdraw from the much awaited Davis Cup tie in Glasgow. Understandably he is "gutted".

Murray 24, announced his decision after admitting that he had been hampered by niggling injuries throughout the tournament and hinted at missing the Europe/Africa Group I clash on Feb 10.

"I'm gutted to miss out on the Davis Cup having really enjoyed playing last year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/9051330/Andy-Murray-to-miss-key-Davis-Cup-clash-with-Slovakia-after-gruelling-Australian-Open-campaign.html

This is sad news both for him and his many fans who had hoped to see him play. It could also be a big set back for his hopes to close the gap on the big 3. The new season is only a few weeks old and already the strain is showing. It appears that he has more than one injury and that he was hampered throughout the tournament with problems. Are these injuries a result of his defensive style?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Injury Worries For Murray Empty Re: Injury Worries For Murray

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

I used to fiddle sick notes off school, too.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

hawkeye if Andy does indeed have some niggling injuries then let's hope they clear up soon.

I'd be interested to know what these injury concerns were during the Aussie Open because he looked fine enough to me. Obviously you aren't going to tell all your opponents about any niggles before you play but dare I question the possibility of him using this as an excuse. After all lots of players play with niggling injuries - ask Rafa, Roger and Novak.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:10 pm

Ha, you don't give up do you!

I'm glad he has pulled out. More rest time and hopefully more Lendl time too.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Ha, you don't give up do you!

I'm glad he has pulled out. More rest time and hopefully more Lendl time too.

No problems at all if he wants to spend some time with Ivan. Why can't he just admit that fact?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

I think he is trying to 'manage his schedule better' as kindly advised in November.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm

"After the Australian Open Murray confidently predicted that he was closer to the top three players than he had ever been".

The rankings points suggest otherwise. Federer may be in his sights but the other two are well ahead

1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 13,630 points

2 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 10,435

3 Federer, Roger (SUI) 8,010

4 Murray, Andy (GBR) 6,900

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

Danny_1982, Calder106 & bogbrush

I don't think you have read the quote. Murray was suffering from more than one injury throughout the Australian Open. He is "gutted" that he is not fit enough to play in the Davis Cup.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

Yes, I was always gutted to have to stay off school.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 31 Jan 2012, 11:04 pm

I'm gutted, too . It's cool to be gutted.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:20 am

newballs wrote:"After the Australian Open Murray confidently predicted that he was closer to the top three players than he had ever been".

The rankings points suggest otherwise. Federer may be in his sights but the other two are well ahead

1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 13,630 points

2 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 10,435

3 Federer, Roger (SUI) 8,010

4 Murray, Andy (GBR) 6,900

But do ranking points explain the gaps etc in quality between players? If so going by your system Murray if far closer to Federer than he is to the likes of Tsonga, Ferrer and Berdych etc etc. Also it would suggest that Murray is closer in quality to Federer than Federer is to Nadal by some way.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

CC absolutely agree that Murray is closer to Federer than the chasing pack are to him.

The reality is, of course, that Federer has no dropped way behind both Nadal and Djokovic so he is there for the taking. Andy was ahead of Roger anyway until late in the year so getting past him again should be achievable as a short-term goal .

To get past Nadal though he's going to have to beat Rafa or Djokovic in a slam semi and win one or more to challenge Novak. That's the difficult part and I can't see how he's going to get past Rafa in the rankings any time soon barring injury.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

To most players though rankings aren't as important as slam wins. I mean if you were to offer any of the top players a slam win or world No.1 I know which they would pick.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

I don't buy into this how 'Murray is close to Federer'

In rankings yes. In play? No.

I am more interested in the 'How close is Murray to that elusive Slam'

If he can tick that box soon, I will be a happy follower.

I want to see Murray do well in Miami and Indian Wells and get some Masters silverware first and foremost.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:01 pm

It is an interesting debate though. Now of course you will have differing views. Now for me Novak is a clear No.1 at the moment and Andy Murray pushed him all the way in a nail-biting five set semi. Judge that against a meek performance against the same player in the final last year or his capitulation against Nadal (who wasn't No.1) at Wimbledon after winning the first set then you can see that why some believe he is now closer. Perhaps Andy feels he is now as well as he has finally worked out the tactics he needs to employ against the top guns. Just my opinion mind.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:30 pm

Guys the acid test would be whether or not Murray can now beat Federer in a slam.

Being 3 and 4 in the world that would mean in a slam final with both Rafa and Novak having gone out or withdrawing injured so that isn't going to happen any day soon.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

I bumped into John Lloyd today, apparently Murray was really raring to go, eager to jump on that plane to the ATP Rotterdam. Then Lloyd displays the ATP calendar and poor Andy grimaces in pain as his ankle gives way. Curse of the Davis Cup.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

JM good ol' John Lloyd. One minute swearing under oath that Andy will win a slam this year and the next confidently predicting that Novak can clean up this year as well.

Maybe there just aren't enough slams to go round?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down