The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ospreys players leaving

+16
Intotouch
Smirnoffpriest
Shifty
gowales
Cardiff Dave
wales606
Welshmushroom
Cari
Jenifer McLadyboy
ScarletSpiderman
caoimhincentre
geoff998rugby
Impossible Standards
bedfordwelsh
formerly known as Sam
Rugby10
20 posters

Go down

ospreys players leaving  Empty ospreys players leaving

Post by Rugby10 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:13 pm

Ospreys players leaving
Fussell
Davies
Parker
Bowe
Walker
Otoole
Griffiths
bennett

good clear out saving alot of money

Rugby10

Back to top Go down

ospreys players leaving  Empty Re: ospreys players leaving

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:46 pm

Are the Ospreys in a good position to cover all those losses or will there be significant transfer dealing to get new players in?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

As an outside looking in I would guess Bowe is the only major loss there.

Never rated Fussell even when at Dave with us.

Parker well he's only bit part player now isn't he, Walker likewise.

Hibbard starts more than Bennett despite doubts over hit fitness or abiltiy to keep out of the pie shop.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:59 pm

So Fussell really advanced his career by going to the Ospreys then. My guess is he'll be playing premiership rugby next season.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:00 pm

Bowe is leaving

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

is that confirmed??

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:10 pm

So Fussell really advanced his career by going to the Ospreys then. My guess is he'll be playing premiership rugby next season..

Might well end up a squad player at Wasps if they are forced to cash in on some of their more pacey assets.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

True Sam. There seems to be a growing welsh contingent heading that way.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby10 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

Bowe is going back to ireland , fussell is going bk to dragons as replacement for brew and the o's wont be replacing the players just promoting prydie , ross jones , phillips, watermayer, baldwin and joe rees

Rugby10

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

Any idea where these lads are headed?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:is that confirmed??

I understand that is effectively a done deal.

The final destination has yet to be clarified

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

Cheers Geoff

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:40 pm

True Sam. There seems to be a growing welsh contingent heading that way

There's also a growing contingent monitoring Christian Wade's return from injury and the contract situation around Wallace the young full back and centre Elliot Daly so Wasps could be in the market.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby10 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:44 pm

Fussell dragons
Davies-
Parker retiring
Bowe leinster
Walker edinburgh
Otoole-
Griffiths scarlets
bennett blues/ offers from france

Rugby10

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:47 pm

Rugby10 wrote:Fussell dragons
Davies-
Parker retiring
Bowe leinster
Walker edinburgh
Otoole-
Griffiths scarlets
bennett blues/ offers from france

Is that Barry Davies? I have heard he may be heading home, but then I have heard Cai is not going to PYS
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:56 pm

Bowe will not be going to Leinster, Ulster probably, Munster possibly

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Bowe will not be going to Leinster, Ulster probably, Munster possibly

That's my info too. He'd have to play centre at Munster though, otherwise he'd get less ball than Simon Geoghan. Run

Where would he fit in at Ulster? OK he replaces Danelli, but who would you drop from the 1st team, Payne, Gilroy or Trimble?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

Tommy's going to Connacht.

Well it's the only one you missed out! Very Happy

I'll miss him so much, but he did see all his contract with the O's through, and I don't think it was a bad move for his career.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:35 am

Are we really taking Fussell back - if so WHY.

Never rated him when he was with us anyway, give me a back 3 of Harries Thomas and Chavange anyday.

Would alos hope we promote another youngster from the academy than take the backward step of Fussell returning.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:24 am

Rumour has it that Harris, Thomas and Chav are out of contract. So keeping them may not be on the cards.

Brew has been linked with Perpignan, which I hope he turns down as he is our best player.

Fussell is a good signing. He was good before he left and at the Ospreys at times he was one of the more exciting players with ball in hand. I think him and Brew would make for a good balance.

I would imagine the Ospreys will now promote from inhouse as the academy is up and running.

I feel for the Ospreys a little because they put such a good team together but never got the success it merited. They did make 2 fatal mistakes though. They bought some ego players who rarely turned up for them once they got selected and secondly the failed to get a credible coaching team in place who could handle all the big names. Lyn Jones, Humprehys, Holley & Johnson just didnt have the experience for that kind of calibre roster.

Had they gone out and got someone like Robbie Deans things may have been so different.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:29 am

One thing is for sure though. The academy players will need to be conditioned to play top flight rugby at a earlier age which to a degree is improving already.

That has its own benefits and I'm looking forward to seeing the Wales U20 as I am expecting a more physical young side out than previous years (which is always a big weakness for age grade sides). The only negative is that I believe the lack of physicality probably helped develop ball skills as we couldnt use a Physical based gameplan.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:18 pm

The only negative is that I believe the lack of physicality probably helped develop ball skills as we couldnt use a Physical based gameplan.

Not sure if it's me but I think the emphasis on getting bigger has impacted hugely on our actual ball skills and attacking ability. Support play, game management and contact offloading seems to be disappearing from our younger players! (I do watch a lot of SH rugby so maybe I'm being over critical in comparing our players to theirs)...
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:34 pm

Rugby10 wrote:Bowe is going back to ireland , fussell is going bk to dragons as replacement for brew and the o's wont be replacing the players just promoting prydie , ross jones , phillips, watermayer, baldwin and joe rees

Oh dear,

Is it just me or does it seem like the O's will be in big trouble next year.

Their HC campaign was disastrous this year,

Who will play FB? - No BD, Byrne or Fussell. Prydie is the only option there and he hasnt exactly showed his class at regional level yet.

Biggar at 10, Bishop at 13, Walker, Prydie and a diminishing SW in the back 3...I surprised Beck wants to stay.

On the plus side - at least you wont have Johnson anymore...and the Blues might get Bennett Smile
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:41 pm

wales606 wrote:

Oh dear,

Who will play FB? - No BD, Byrne or Fussell. Prydie is the only option there and he hasnt exactly showed his class at regional level yet.

Biggar at 10, Bishop at 13, Walker, Prydie and a diminishing SW in the back 3...I surprised Beck wants to stay.

On the plus side - at least you wont have Johnson anymore...and the Blues might get Bennett Smile

Be nice 606 as we don't know what exactly is happening at Cardiff Blues yet.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Oh dear,

Be nice 606 as we don't know what exactly is happening at Cardiff Blues yet.

True, but at least we should be able to cobble together a decent backline with Tovey at 10.

I havent been impressed with the O's backs this season at all (Webb and Beck being the exception), they are relying too much on their forwards, and this season, their front row in particular.
It hasnt worked for them, because their Backrow is weaker than it once was - JT isn't an 8, Smith is not a great 6, Tipuric is good, but thats about it -
Their replacements have been awful, Stowers has yet to do anything in an Ospreys shirt.

They have missed AWJ in the second row, and injuries to Ryan and I.Evans have left them with weakness in the second row and on the bench.

Adam Jones has been off form for a lot of the season and has only just started to dominate again, the have lost Mitchell so have little depth at THP and Paul James has missed most of the season. Hibbard is BADLY off form and Bennett hasnt been given a chance.

Now they are losing more depth in their squad so I can't see them coming close to the HC next season.

They are lucky that they have managed to hold onto A.Jones and AWJ, because without them they would be in serious trouble.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:15 pm

If you look at the youngster coming through i don't actually think Johnson has done as bad a job as some seem to think. He is head of development after all, the coaches are Holley and Humphries.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:26 pm

Rugby10 wrote:Ospreys players leaving
Fussell
Davies
Parker
Bowe
Walker
Otoole
Griffiths
bennett

good clear out saving alot of money

None of this has really be confirmed either way, but if this all turns out to be true then:

Fussell -
Pretty much been a disaster since he signed for the Ospreys, lapse after lapse in defense has proved very costly, most Ospreys fans have no idea why he is picked most of the time. Glad he's going to be honest. As a fan he is the first name I look out for when I go to see games and I hope he isn't playing. He makes me nervous, his only asset is he is good with ball in hand and a bit of space. But it's a winter game and he has to catch the bloody thing first!

Davies - Probably the best full back we have, but well short of international standards, I would pick Prydie or even give Hanno Dirksen a chance there instead of picking him. Ross Jones is showing good form for Bridgend so maybe he will be given a run.

Parker - Good servant to the cause but has looked past it for a season or two now, only really plays and is useful for LV games. Will be good to get him off the wage bill. Fallen way down the pecking order sadly.

Bowe - class player, but do we really need a NWQ winger? We have Luke Morgan, Kristian Phillips, Tom Prydie, Eli Walker and Hanno Dirksen who all need experience, and if they are going to develop players need to be moved out. Class player but if we need to bring in foreign players we really need forwards not backs. Wales produce backs for fun.

Walker - Been injured for so long people have forgotten Niki is part of the squad, another Scottish winger that is really serving no purpose. Best to get shot of him to be honest.

O'Toole - Was signed as cover for the World Cup, but couldnt cut it at Glasgow so was never going to be a long term Ospreys signing, looks poor at Rabo Direct level.

Griffiths - I like him, but most Ospreys fans are thrilled he's going to the Scarlets, fantastic in the gym useless on the field. Was apparently given a £160k a year deal as 4 years ago he was considered to be the next Adam Jones, but he hasn't developed in the way we'd hoped and won't take less money. The Ospreys barely use him, and conversion to loose head for LV games against academy players has been a disaster. Reportedly spend most of his time out drinking and in Nandos, which doesnt help him.

Bennett - If you'd told me before the World Cup Bennett was leaving, then Id of been happy, but he has finally shown some form and is probably the best Ospreys hooker. Mefin Davies is 38 and can't play forever and Hibbard is a liability most of the time, so this is a loss for us. Sadly we dont need both Hibbard and Bennett and Bennett contract is the one thats finishing first.

Summary:

Not really overly worried at all by losing these players, we probably have better and more deserving players to take their place already within our academy. Bennett is my only worry, but maybe Hibbard starting and Davies off the bench will cover us for most games. We also have a promising young hooker called Scott Baldwin who will need a chance next season, so we will recover.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:31 pm

How was it a bad move for Bowe going to the Ospreys? he went from good player to world class whilst at the Ospreys.
Do you watch rugby?

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:34 pm

I think the Os will be hit very hard by the departures of Shane and Bowe as none of the wingers waiting in the wings are anywhere close to them and players like Prydie and Phillips haven't exactly seemed like their about to fulfill their potential anytime soon. I think it might be a good move for the O's to get rid of Bennett now while other clubs are interested as I never know if the WC form was just a flash in the pan and he'll revert to his last 3 years of form again. Though Hibberts really going to have to step up.

Looking at the O's team in comparison to previous years and they seem to have lost a lot of the fearsome lineup they had in their backrow (JT's lost form, Ryan is played a lot at lock, and then you have Stowers who still needs to impress and Smith, Tupric - doesn't really compare) their backs without Bowe and Shane looks pretty toothless except for Webb and Beck and therein lies the problem they are just relying on their front 5 to win them games.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:42 pm

Actually Bowe was the record try scorer in the ML while he was with a poorly performing Ulster side.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

And he was the Magners League player of the year that year as well

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

Well he said in an interview that moving to the Ospreys improved him immensely and if he stayed in Ulster he wouldn't have.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

As an Irish fan the move the the Ospreys made Bowe better.

Sometimes its good to have a clearout of players. I hope Munster do the same with some of their squad.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

Although i do think Bowe should go back to Ulster or go to France. Munster wouldn't use him well.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:38 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I think the Os will be hit very hard by the departures of Shane and Bowe as none of the wingers waiting in the wings are anywhere close to them and players like Prydie and Phillips haven't exactly seemed like their about to fulfill their potential anytime soon. I think it might be a good move for the O's to get rid of Bennett now while other clubs are interested as I never know if the WC form was just a flash in the pan and he'll revert to his last 3 years of form again. Though Hibberts really going to have to step up.

Looking at the O's team in comparison to previous years and they seem to have lost a lot of the fearsome lineup they had in their backrow (JT's lost form, Ryan is played a lot at lock, and then you have Stowers who still needs to impress and Smith, Tupric - doesn't really compare) their backs without Bowe and Shane looks pretty toothless except for Webb and Beck and therein lies the problem they are just relying on their front 5 to win them games.

Even with 19 players away on international duty, we can still beat the Munster first team at home! thumbsup
We lost a raft of internationals last season yet we achieved the same in Europe and are still second in the league. Most of the Ospreys fans are happy a lot of these players are leaving. Only Bowe, Shane Williams and Bennett warrants a mention. Most Ospreys fans are not even too concerned about losing Adam Jones either because he is always away on Wales duty or injured.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

Intotouch wrote:Actually Bowe was the record try scorer in the ML while he was with a poorly performing Ulster side.

No he wasn't, he reached that record after he'd been with the O's. He made player of the ML season in 2009/2010.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:48 pm

What?! I hope you're wrong, Fussell is a muppet. He was one of Turners favourites and I'm still struggling to see why Ospreys ever wanted him? Hopefully Harries, Chavvy and few others keep the guy out of the team should he return.

Shame about Parker, I still think he is your best 13. Bishop has been awful since he was last capped for Wales. You have a good team, poor 10 and some very promising academy players that you need to make good use of. Your all speaking of Prydie but I read that he was going to Wasps? I am honestly baffled as to why Kris Phillips is not a starter in your team. He has excelled at every level I have seen him play.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:52 pm

Also in 2007/2008 Cari. And you're wrong about the try scoring record; he first gained that record at Ulster; bear in mind there weren't anywhere near as many games in the era before he came on the scene.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

Fair enough Notch OK

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:01 pm

Sorry Cari- that came across a bit dickish and pedantic. I didn't mean to be, it's just sometimes the tone gets lost when you're typing Smile

I think Bowe did improve at Ospreys, he got more time on the ball and pushed out of his comfort zone. I think he developed into a more rounded player. But people forget how good he was when he was at Ulster the season before he left. I mean, he had a sensational year; always played much better than the team he was in. He nearly had a hattrick in the Six Nations that year- he would have had it if it wasn't for Marcus Horan glory hunting out on the wing! Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm

It's OK. I'm not familiar with his Ulster career as much.

I'm looking forward to him playing on Sunday. As much as it pains me to say it - it's his 50th Irish international cap, and if he scores a try he'll make the century in pointage which would be nice for him. Just not this weekend, T... Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:19 am

Morgannwg wrote:What?! I hope you're wrong, Fussell is a muppet. He was one of Turners favourites and I'm still struggling to see why Ospreys ever wanted him? Hopefully Harries, Chavvy and few others keep the guy out of the team should he return.

Shame about Parker, I still think he is your best 13. Bishop has been awful since he was last capped for Wales. You have a good team, poor 10 and some very promising academy players that you need to make good use of. Your all speaking of Prydie but I read that he was going to Wasps? I am honestly baffled as to why Kris Phillips is not a starter in your team. He has excelled at every level I have seen him play.

I think Fussell was initially signed as backup but has unfortunately become first choice.
Prydie is on loan to Wasps he will be back at the Ospreys next year.
Kris Phillips defence is bad and he is weak in contact although i can't see how Eli Walker is any better.
Next year will be all about the youngsters. Don't expect any silverware.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:32 pm

gowales wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:What?! I hope you're wrong, Fussell is a muppet. He was one of Turners favourites and I'm still struggling to see why Ospreys ever wanted him? Hopefully Harries, Chavvy and few others keep the guy out of the team should he return.

I think Fussell was initially signed as backup but has unfortunately become first choice.
Prydie is on loan to Wasps he will be back at the Ospreys next year.
Kris Phillips defence is bad and he is weak in contact although i can't see how Eli Walker is any better.
Next year will be all about the youngsters. Don't expect any silverware.

I thought that's what they said about this year - that's all about the youngsters...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:33 pm

Well obviously since Fussell, Parker, Davies, Walker, Bowe are probably all leaving it will be even more about the youngsters next year.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 03 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

gowales wrote:Well obviously since Fussell, Parker, Davies, Walker, Bowe are probably all leaving it will be even more about the youngsters next year.

Their good enough and deserve a chance! thumbsup

15 Ross Jones
14 Tom Prydie
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Eli Walker
10 Dan Biggar
9 Rhys Webb
8 Ryan Jones
7 Justin Tipuric
6 Jonathan Thomas
5 Alun-Wyn Jones
4 Ian Evans
3 Paul James
2 Richard Hibbard
1 Ryan Bevington

16 Luke Morgan
17 Matthew Morgan
18 Kahn Fotuali'i
19 George Sotwers
20 James King
21 Mefin Davies
22 Duncan Jones

It's still not a bad team.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Sat 04 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

The only player i have heard of that is leaving the Ospreys and heading to the Dragons is Duncan Jones. I don't think Fussell is heading back.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 04 Feb 2012, 8:23 pm

Fussell could be going anywhere. Probably England or a second division French side.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 8:53 pm

rhino-dragon wrote:The only player i have heard of that is leaving the Ospreys and heading to the Dragons is Duncan Jones. I don't think Fussell is heading back.

Where did you hear that?
Thats a new one to me Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Sat 04 Feb 2012, 8:56 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
rhino-dragon wrote:The only player i have heard of that is leaving the Ospreys and heading to the Dragons is Duncan Jones. I don't think Fussell is heading back.

Where did you hear that?
Thats a new one to me Erm

It is something i have heard banded around for a couple of weeks now. One of the people who has said it to me is usually spot on about the Dragons transfers in and out but i will not say any more than that.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down