The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 players released from Dragons = 13 leaving in total.

+4
ScarletSpiderman
ChequeredJersey
HammerofThunor
Shifty
8 posters

Go down

8 players released from Dragons = 13 leaving in total. Empty 8 players released from Dragons = 13 leaving in total.

Post by Shifty Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Looks as though the annual Dragons clear out has been confirmed now, 13 players or a third of their squad is leaving at the end of the season.

Martyn Thomas - released after refusing new deal.
Tom Riley - released
Gethin Robinson - released
Rhys Buckley - released
Royce Cadman - released
Hugo Ellis - released
Rhys Jenkins - released
James Leadbeater - released
Tom Willis - retired due to injury
Ben Castle - retired due to injury
Luke Charteris - leaving for Perpignan
Aled Brew - leaving for Biarritz
Jason Tovey - leaving for Blues
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

8 players released from Dragons = 13 leaving in total. Empty Re: 8 players released from Dragons = 13 leaving in total.

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Has Martyn Thomas been linked to an English club? Possibly Leicester. Hugo Ellis really has fallen flat after captaining England U20 to Grand Slam and runner up spot in the JWC in 2008.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

8 players released from Dragons = 13 leaving in total. Empty Re: 8 players released from Dragons = 13 leaving in total.

Post by Shifty Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Has Martyn Thomas been linked to an English club? Possibly Leicester. Hugo Ellis really has fallen flat after captaining England U20 to Grand Slam and runner up spot in the JWC in 2008.

The Dragons released a statement saying they had released him, however he said on Twitter he had been offered a deal but turned it down.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Has Martyn Thomas been linked to an English club? Possibly Leicester. Hugo Ellis really has fallen flat after captaining England U20 to Grand Slam and runner up spot in the JWC in 2008.

He's still young, maybe a good club can get him back in the running
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:57 pm

AlynDavies wrote:The Dragons released a statement saying they had released him, however he said on Twitter he had been offered a deal but turned it down.

Which translated to English is he has not officially signed for anyone yet, and probably has a few offers to look over which were better than what he was offered by the Dragons.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:10 pm

That's how I read it too Spiderman. I would be slightly disappointed if I was a Dragons supporter. The region looked after him through 2 horrific injuries (long lay-offs) and paid his salary & rehab costs while he unable to play. But maybe those injuries made him realise just how short a playing career really is, and the need to look after himself financially.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:15 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:That's how I read it too Spiderman. I would be slightly disappointed if I was a Dragons supporter. The region looked after him through 2 horrific injuries (long lay-offs) and paid his salary & rehab costs while he unable to play. But maybe those injuries made him realise just how short a playing career really is, and the need to look after himself financially.

I must be honest I would also be miffed if I were a Dragons fan, but not just with Thomas. Nathan Brew came out and said leaving the Dragons was the worst decision of his career, yet Aled Brew has decided to up and leave, even though he has only really been successful at the Dragons. These players were given real chances and looked after well by the Dragons, and maybe a little loyalty would have been nice.

That said a players career is not to long, and the money is only really available when they are playing good rugby, and that can change in a moment with one slip or poor tackle, so I can understand why they may want to be in pastures new.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by DRAGONONPARADE Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Two rumours I've heard and I know rumours are rife everywhere at the moment are Nicky Robinson and Richie Rees to the Dragons, who knows!!!!

DRAGONONPARADE

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:24 pm

DragonParade - Dan Evans is being talked about too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by DRAGONONPARADE Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Dan Evans is supposed to be a done deal

DRAGONONPARADE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:22 pm

DRAGONONPARADE wrote:Two rumours I've heard and I know rumours are rife everywhere at the moment are Nicky Robinson and Richie Rees to the Dragons, who knows!!!!

Don't see Richie Rees seeing as it looks like we are retaining Wayne Evans. Not too sure on Nicky Robinson either, but that one is more feasible with JT's imminent departure.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:47 pm

The big loss for me in that list (other than the ones already moving) is Thomas.

Big dis-appointment is Ellis, he came here with a lot expected of him but just hasn't hit it off
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Thats a big loss for the dragons and I'm disappointed for them as he was looking very good on his return. I think he'd be a good signing for the Ospreys.

If it's true that D Evans is a done deal then I'm not too bothered that he's going, and maybe he'd have some FH gametime as well as at FB there - we've got Priestland, Jones, Newton, A Thomas and J Williams who are all better at FH and Stodds, L Williams, Ford, Ionghi and Fenby who are all better at FB.

Nicky Robinson would be interesting - but would he leave Wasps?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Just read a Argus article and it says that A top Full Back is on the verge of signing - It also says that Martyn Thomas wasn't offered a new contract.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/rugby/dragons/9576035.Thomas_and_six_others_heading_for_Dragons_exit/r/?ref=twt&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down