The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Declan Kidney: Great Man Manager or Luckiest Man Alive

+31
Mickado
Sin é
gnollbeast
gowales
Glas a du
valjester
UlstermaninGlasgow
Thomond
Goosestepper
Pot Hale
The Great Aukster
TycroesOsprey
Gibson
Irishhoneymonster
Notch
profitius
eirebilly
dublin_dave
1F'sgonnagetya!
Feckless Rogue
mankiaow
SecretFly
Red Right
Standulstermen
ME-109
thebandwagonsociety
Rory_Gallagher
geoff998rugby
rodders
red_stag
Ozzy3213
35 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Declan Kidney: Great Man Manager or Luckiest Man Alive - Page 2 Empty Declan Kidney: Great Man Manager or Luckiest Man Alive

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:40 am

First topic message reminder :

On Saturday 24th May 2008 Declan Kidney masterminded Munsters triumph over Toulouse in the Heineken Cup final in Cardiff. Shortly after he was appointed to the role of head coach of the Ireland national team, and just months later had led them to the 6 Nations title and their first grand slam since 1948. The IRB coach of the year award followed later in 2009, a year in which another Irish province, Leinster, won the Heineken Cup.

During Kidneys reign as Ireland supremo, Leinster have in fact won the Heineken Cup twice, and also made the Celtic League play off final twice. Munster have won the Celtic twice in the same period, and Ulster have established themselves as a top half of the table side, making last years play off semi final, along with the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup. So far this season, those three provinces have all qualified for the knockout stages of Europes premier club competition again, and all sit within the top half of the Rabo Direct table, with Leinster top and Munster currently set for the play offs.

It is clear looking the results of the provinces, and the players coming through the academy systems in Ireland, that the set up there is good, and they are producing players capable of performing to a very high level. Whilst overseas stars may have grabbed the headlines in Ulster's recent demolition of Leicester Tigers, homegrown talent such as Rory Best, Chris Henry, Paul Marshall, Paddy wallace and Andrew Trimble all contributed hugely, much as the likes of Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip, Johnny Sexton, Paul O'Connell, Ronan O'Gara and Keith Earls have done for Leinster and Munster respectively.

Ulster performance in that game was driven by an intensity usually associated with teams from the Southern Hemisphere, but that has also ben shown regularly by Leinster, and most recently by Munster in their demolition of Northampton Saints at Stadium MK. It is clear from these performances that the players have it in them to go up against anyone, and win, yet it is fair to say that it just has not happened regularly enough when they pull on the green shirt of Ireland.

As stated at the beginning of this piece, Kidneys reign began with glory, and the period since has seen sustained excellence and continued upward progression from 3 of the 4 Irish provinces. Yet at international level, if you look at tournament results, Ireland have declined year on year. From grand slam winners in 2009, to runners in up 2010 and then to third place in the 2011 6 Nations tournament. In each of the previous two competitions, there has been a standout, high intensity performance, such as the victory over England which denied them the grand slam last year, but there has been an inability to deliver performances consistently at that level.

The recent World Cup was no different. Ireland began with a less than convincing victory over the USA, before finding their one big performance to beat Australia, and also deny them even a losing bonus point. Wins against Russia and Italy followed, before being dumped out in the quarter final by the Welsh. Now at Celtic League and Heineken Cup level, Welsh regions victories over Irish provinces, particularly in key games, are rare, the Ospreys Final win over Leinster in 2010 being the exception So the question has to be asked why the levels of performance are not consistently replicated at international level.

The players are the same, with Connacht providing very few to the national squad, and there are plenty of occasions where provincial combinations have been used in the national shirt, so why this relative failure to perform on the biggest stage? The only conclusion that I can draw from what I have seen is that the answer has be Declan Kidney. He is clearly an intelligent man and a good coach, you do not win the trophies that he did with Munster if you are not, however something clearly is not right, as results reflect.

There are those who will argue that he does not select on form and favours the old guard (particularly from Munster) over younger more dynamic alternatives, yet his fans will point to the likes of Cian Healy and Sean O'Brien as examples of younger men that he has brought in to the side. There are also those who will argue that tactically he is stuck in the past, and sees the game through the same eyes that he did whilst at Munster between 2005 and 2008, and this hampers the team as the game has moved on even in that short time. Those who feel he is the right man for the job will counter this by highlighting those dynamic performances already mentioned against England and Australia, as evidence that he is trying to get the team to play in a modern, more dynamic way.

So what is the truth? Is Declan Kidney the right man to take Ireland on to the next level, and have them dominating Northern Hemisphere rugby in the same way that their provincial sides are dominating the club game? Or is he merely a false prophet, hiding behind success at Munster and initially with Ireland which was built more on the ability of the players at his disposal, rather than any great tactical nous or man management from him?

The next 8 weeks will hopefully give us some of the answers. Ireland will be without BOD, and Kidney will have to show that he is able to select the right man to fill his boots. Other than O'Driscoll, ireland have the majority of their best players available, and they are all in form, so there can be no excuses for not getting the best from them. In contrast England are an unknown quantity, France have a new coach and squad, and Wales will be missing key players through injury. If Ireland continue their downward trend since winning the 2009 6 Nations, and finish 4th or below in this competition, then surely Kidney's time must be up, as the answer to the question of what the truth is about him will be clear. On the other hand, Ireland may win the thing again, but I suspect the question will remain, great man manager, or just plain lucky at being Ireland coach at a time where the players at his disposal are better than their counterparts elsewhere in Europe.

Last edited by Ozzy3213 on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Declan Kidney: Great Man Manager or Luckiest Man Alive - Page 2 Empty Re: Declan Kidney: Great Man Manager or Luckiest Man Alive

Post by ME-109 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:Out of curiosity, we the silent majority seemingly turning on the man, who is the replacement that will do a better job?
- Joe Schmidt: only limited head coach experience and working in a structure largely left over by his predecessor.
- Tony McGahan: not sure, hints that he is getting Munster into top gear again, might be best to keep him there to push them on.
- McLaughlin: good work with Ulster but again, not sure. might be best for him to continue to develop Ulster.
- O'Shea: doing great work with Quins, but position has benefited from great run while the RWC was on. Faltered recently. He might need too much control for the IRFU's liking in order for him to accept the position. High probability of it being a great choice, but politics comes to play more here than any other candidate.
- Bradley: doing well with Edinburgh but needs to show a couple of seasons of progression before I'd consider him.

Who else would there be? I don't think there is anything in the above (other than O'Shea who I don't honestly think would happen) that can be seen as anything other than a change for changes sake.

Pretty bleak summary of potential replacements there, bandwagon;..both in the choices offered and your reckoning on them! Wink I'll go back on everything I said. We're facing into the Abyss.

I'll admit I'm laying on fairly thick here. But if you take the detail and quantum of criticism with Kidney since the RWC and then take that level of critique towards other candidates, I get the above. My criteria on the guys above was taking coaches with experience with Irish players and the IRFU and running the negativity across their chances. Are we going to say Johnson/White/Deans/Henry are the potential suitors? Wink

I'm not saying Kidney is faultless and hasn't made mistakes. But there is an agenda out there to get rid of him. To achieve that you have to;
- highlight poor results & poor coaching (e.g. build up to rwc, the wales game and last years 6n)
- insinuate that any success is down to luck and not competency (i.e. sure any coach would have done what he did)
- claim he isn't building for the future (i.e. not bringing through new players)

Of the above 3 items;
- Wales game in the rwc was bad for everybody. Last years 6Ns was a 3rd place finish which flat performances and but for a blown call could have been 2nd place. The build up for the RWC can be viewed in one of 2 ways. Must get wins to build momentum (we lost games). Or give your fringe players the chance to prove their inclusion in the travelling squad and cull the non performers (which he did).
- starting to become more than mumblings (just look at this thread)
- not necessarily true with Healy, SOB, Murray, Sexton coming through during the time and plenty other debutants.

As for the last number of posts I refer you to Thebandwagonsociety post on the subject.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Declan Kidney: Great Man Manager or Luckiest Man Alive - Page 2 Empty Re: Declan Kidney: Great Man Manager or Luckiest Man Alive

Post by dublin_dave Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

haha i said a bad word about eddie and it was replaced with soloist. 606v2 is quite smart.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

The swear filter can be quite entertaining at times dave.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:41 pm

Kidneys biggest mistake was one of the first decisions he took as new coach. Alan Gaffney. Ireland were predictable under Gaffney and struggled to break teams down. Now that he is gone we might see some attacking flair at last.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:44 pm

Hopefully. Les Kiss will be our attack coach now. Maybe we'll be much better now that Gaffney is gone.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

So what is it that Ireland supporters want from Kidney profitius? Attacking flair, or results and trophies?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

I think that Kidney has done a great job in getting some strength in depth within the Ireland squad. He has tried a lot of players and given them some valuable international experience.

Its just a shame that he and Eddie dont get along because i rate eddie as a great coach. Ireland played some of their best rugby under him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:So what is it that Ireland supporters want from Kidney profitius? Attacking flair, or results and trophies?

It's not a choice between one or the other. Look at Leinster. If you look at the Irish players, and where their strengths lie, we should be playing a similar game to Leinster. We should be playing a high tempo game, recycling the ball very quickly and getting it to our talented backs. Our attacking game should be a strength, like it is at the provinces. But it's actually the weakest part of our game now. It's been on a downward curve ever since Kidney arrived. Under EOS the Irish had some of the most lethal back play in Europe.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

profitius wrote:Kidneys biggest mistake was one of the first decisions he took as new coach. Alan Gaffney. Ireland were predictable under Gaffney and struggled to break teams down. Now that he is gone we might see some attacking flair at last.

It's certainly one of the 'new' conditions I'm looking forward to. I mean it might turn out to be the hidden factor that just stopped us being the attacking side we know we can be
- or -
we might see evidence that the lack of a cutting edge in attack truly is more deeply ingrained in the Irish setup.

At least we should have proof of which it is after two or three games. So I'm happy about it, as we'll have an important piece of the Underperforming jigsaw worked out in this championship, even if the answer is still a negative in attack. Or in other words, if we're still predictably lateral and predictably lukewarm in attack, with a rash of poor ballhandling skills adding to the misery, we'll know Gaffney wasn't the weak link at all but we'll also know that the weak link is still there.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:So what is it that Ireland supporters want from Kidney profitius? Attacking flair, or results and trophies?

Are Irish players that bad that they have to choose one or the other? How about both. Irish people are frustrated because we can see that Irish players can do both.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:09 pm

Its another weapon in the armory. In the world cup wales read Ireland like a book and Ireland had no answers. A new attack coach could give Ireland a new dimension.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:12 pm

SecretFly wrote:
profitius wrote:Kidneys biggest mistake was one of the first decisions he took as new coach. Alan Gaffney. Ireland were predictable under Gaffney and struggled to break teams down. Now that he is gone we might see some attacking flair at last.

It's certainly one of the 'new' conditions I'm looking forward to. I mean it might turn out to be the hidden factor that just stopped us being the attacking side we know we can be
- or -
we might see evidence that the lack of a cutting edge in attack truly is more deeply ingrained in the Irish setup.

At least we should have proof of which it is after two or three games. So I'm happy about it, as we'll have an important piece of the Underperforming jigsaw worked out in this championship, even if the answer is still a negative in attack. Or in other words, if we're still predictably lateral and predictably lukewarm in attack, with a rash of poor ballhandling skills adding to the misery, we'll know Gaffney wasn't the weak link at all but we'll also know that the weak link is still there.

Agreed. Les Kiss said in an article at the weekend that he spoke to the players about it and they thought it was an area that needed to be improved. He also showedthe what he had in mind and the reaction was very positive. We'll wait and see.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:37 pm

On what I want to see from Ireland this season;
- I want us to mix it up a bit. We shouldn't be all kicking for 50mins and all running for the last 30mins or vice/versa.
- The home games I want high tempo, quick recycling of ball and a the mix of carries to be more backs than forwards orientated.
- On the road I want Ireland to close down the opposition, not to be afraid to pick the bigger guys and grind down a game. Oh, and give France and England a bloody nose into the bargain.
Almost set the squad up for two teams. One for the trenches and the other for the flat track.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:47 pm

Results and trophies, and the gameplan necessary to get them. Our attacking game has been very average against the big teams since the end of the 2007 Six Nations; too many games we've had a lot of the ball and not done enough to hurt teams with it. That's the weak spot in our gameplan. It's not about wanting a specific style. It's about winning- I think the coaches have acknowledged we need to be better in attack since 2008 and have failed to develop that part of our game across the last three years.

But ultimately, if we win the tournament, people will be happy. If not questions will be raised.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:49 pm

To be honest Ozzy this is how I see it.

I, and many others I'm sure, am sick of putting up with generally below par, predictable and clueless play when it comes to attacking Rugby. It's been going on for 2 years, actually scrap that, if I'm honest it has been ongoing since the 2007 WC. There is no doubt we played more attacking Rugby before then. Difference is now we are in a position where injuries don't affect us as badly because we have alot more strength in depth. Now I will concede that this strength in depth is partly down to Kidney and he should get credit for that, but it does not explain how feicin clueless we are in attack. I have found the last number of years pretty infuriating I have to say. The only thing that has kept me sane is the fact that we did have one excellent year with regards to results.

Now, in relation to your question Ozzy, obviously if I could have both then I'd take it, but the only way I will accept this absolute tosh continuing is if our results back up playing this way and we win at least two 6N titles (preferably one of which being a GS) in the next 4 years and get at the very minimum a WC semi-final. Also throw in a good record against the SH over that period, and why not a test match in NZ in the summer while we're at it.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that Ireland deserve that sort of run, no team does I guess, by which I mean a team has to earn it on the pitch, but failing a run like that or close to it then YES, bloody right I'll take good performances with attacking flair and a bit of passion and bite over this dreary horsesh1t (horsecr@p - in case it's deleted) we have been dishing out over the last few years!

Also, if we threw off the shackles and enjoyed it then the results would probably come anyway. It's a pity we have the position where Kidney is worried about surviving and therefore has to be conservative and think about getting results in the short-term. Really what Kidney should have done after the GS is demand the shackles are thrown in a feicin furnace and made into jewellery or something for the players wives! Or maybe the IRFU should have seen that he would be under this pressure and told him to go for it. If someone doesn't decide to do it then we may well be doomed for eternity!

Or maybe it was Gaffney all along? Wink I guess it will be fun finding out! Oh wait I forgot, it might just be bloody boring and infuriating and sickening Smile

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:48 pm

In answer to the OP's heading - he is both. Luck has dealt him a great hand in the quality of players coming through the Irish Academies. Eddie never had that and when he did - he ignored it. Luck, in Joe Schmidt giving him Ross when he was ignored by Cheika. Luck, by injury forcing his hand and discovering he had better players out there. Im not mentioning the players. This is about Kidney, not Leinster, Munster or Ulster in-fighting.

He is a great man-manager. That is undisputed. He is just tactically inept and far too conservative at the very high end. This has been proven time and time again. He initially picked what we thought was the best coaching-team possible. It wasn't and its not. The results are there for all to see. They are not working as a team. Gaffney was a mistake. But, our forwards have improved vastly under Smal. Our scrum is a weapon and not a weakness anymore - under Feek. So lets give him the credit for reaching out for the right help there. Kiss as a backs-coach? Jesus.

He should really be talking to Schmidt as a backs coach, on a consultancy basis. The difference would be phenomenal.

What I want from this 6-N - are performances. We dont have to win it. We just need to see us playing a cohesive, open and attacking-game. The link and synchronicity between between backs and forwards humming - playing to a well thought out game plan. That has been missing. In fact, any game plan has been missing. And to blood another 2 or 3 players.

We need to find a new centre-pairing. BOD is out (more luck in this respect) and she should use that opportunity unfettered. What does he do? Includes Paddy Wallace in the 24. I mean... N.B. I don't want to start a ruck here, but it is blatantly obvious to all but the one-eyed Ulster fans, that he is not international-class and never was. Leamy is another example of this - now. He was once but not anymore. And now sadly, like BOD - Darcy is in decline. If he starts McFadden & Earls - it would show willing at least.

My fear, is that he will sacrifice all this, to keep the IRFU happy with his win/loss ratio. To save his own arse and not to be bold and take a risk for Ireland's development. This is pointless long-term. Even winning 4 from 5, is not enough for me. It must be done with purpose and style. And with NO fear of anyone. Specially France away.

Beating Wales is not enough for me. Scotland & Italy at Lansdowne - should be a given. As should an unstable England at Twickers. He needs to beat France at their own game in Paris. Do that and I'll cut Deccie a break.

But I dont think its in him to do that. Will Elmer Fudge turn into a Prince at the 6-N Ball? We shall see.

To Believe or not to Believe. That is the question.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:18 pm

Gibson wrote:Kiss as a backs-coach? Jesus.

Maybe being a defence coach, and spending your days figuring aout how to stop attacks, might actually be helpful when coaching the backs to attack? It's probably only a short term thing anyway.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

So who next Ruddock?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

Feckless, it is a stop-gap. It may work, if the team buy in to it. I actually believe the players will and should - take more individual responsbility and lift this team after a disappointing WC.

We can't blame everything on Deccie. He can only do so much. They have to perform as individuals and take responsibility on the field. In all fairness.

I actually think that BOD being out, will improve the collective. He, has carried them on that score for far too long. He and Paulie - won us the SLAM.

Im looking to Paulie and Sexton to do the same.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

I think you mean Stan Wrights injury gave him Mike Ross.

People seem to forget that HC rugby is far removed from Intl. A leinster team throwing the ball around against an inept Bath is one thing, lets not forget that leinster backs scoring ratio has been relatively poor.

I think Kiss will do well..and I think we will do well this 6ns. If not, or that he doesn't get a win in new Zealand then time for someone new.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:41 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:So who next Ruddock?

I dont want to lose him from Leinster, but for my Country - I would.

Joe Schmidt, given carte-blanche by the IRFU, to take this team up to where it belongs.

Like to see either Bradley, McCall and O Shea - involved too.

Actually, an O Shea & Schmidt Dream-team. That would do.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

DOD wrote:I think you mean Stan Wrights injury gave him Mike Ross.

People seem to forget that HC rugby is far removed from Intl. A leinster team throwing the ball around against an inept Bath is one thing, lets not forget that leinster backs scoring ratio has been relatively poor.

I think Kiss will do well..and I think we will do well this 6ns. If not, or that he doesn't get a win in new Zealand then time for someone new.

Decco,
I think we will do well too. Best team in it - next to France.

Cue a Welsh outcry.

As for the Leinster comments, get a large grip man. We showed ye the modderin (Northsoide) way to play, and in all fairness, what I saw against Saints, blew all present misconceptions of Munster - out of the water. Unreal performance. Red turns Blue with a vengeance.

It was like watching an aul conservative Auntie, do a sexy-strip on the dance-floor.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

Im pleased ruddock has got back to his coaching best again. After the Wales debacle and Worcester I feared he may have blown it. His missis can keep him on a tight leash too which is probably a good thing. censored

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:57 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Im pleased ruddock has got back to his coaching best again. After the Wales debacle and Worcester I feared he may have blown it. His missis can keep him on a tight leash too which is probably a good thing. censored

I like Ruddock. He is proven at the High-end. Won a SLAM long before our Deccie. And the fact he is taking care of our U-20's was a massive coup for us. He should remain a big part of the Irish setup.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:58 pm

Gibbo - Schmidt is the most over rated coach I have ever encountered.

All I hear nowadays is that Schmidt can do anything, win anything etc.

I don't think Leinster will win the HEC this year unless they drastically improve their away form. Me and you sat together in the Rec and we agreed he got his selection wrong. You failed to beat Montpellier and stumbled over the finish line against Glasgow.

Last seasons Leinster team was star studded - Hines at second row was a huge difference - and Schmidt who is a high quality coach did well and won the HEC accordingly. However the way I hear people go on, its as if it was a bloody miracle.

Schmidts a good coach but no more than that. He aint the Messiah and has done no more than Cheika before him. He was also handed a HEC winning side unlike Cheika who I feel has been unjustly forgotton by many Leinster fans.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

Gibson wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:So who next Ruddock?

I dont want to lose him from Leinster, but for my Country - I would.

Joe Schmidt, given carte-blanche by the IRFU, to take this team up to where it belongs.

Like to see either Bradley, McCall and O Shea - involved too.

Actually, an O Shea & Schmidt Dream-team. That would do.

I can't see Schmidt as head coach and I think that should be an Irishman. Schmidt as backs coach fine but not head it wouldn't work.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:00 pm

Gibbo - I want to see Ruddock deliver with the 20s before the national team.

Anthony Foley, Michael Bradley and Eric Elwood are other options.

Conor O'Shea is a super coach but there is a strained realtionship with IRFU.

Personally I'd look to southern hemisphere new ideas.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:07 pm

red_stag wrote:Gibbo - Schmidt is the most over rated coach I have ever encountered.

All I hear nowadays is that Schmidt can do anything, win anything etc.

I don't think Leinster will win the HEC this year unless they drastically improve their away form. Me and you sat together in the Rec and we agreed he got his selection wrong. You failed to beat Montpellier and stumbled over the finish line against Glasgow.

Last seasons Leinster team was star studded - Hines at second row was a huge difference - and Schmidt who is a high quality coach did well and won the HEC accordingly. However the way I hear people go on, its as if it was a bloody miracle.

Schmidts a good coach but no more than that. He aint the Messiah and has done no more than Cheika before him. He was also handed a HEC winning side unlike Cheika who I feel has been unjustly forgotton by many Leinster fans.

I dunno red_stag. Schmidt transformed the team when he came in. Changed their style and added a new dimension to them. Cheika gave them a hard edge but under Schmidt they play quality rugby.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:10 pm

On the Schmidt Messiah post ...
Ha! Jealousy Stag. Jealousy. You have to watch that ol green-eye. It can stunt your personal growth and development.

As for winning the HC - as the draw stands. You may be right. But we are the best team in it. Sooo. We are used to proving it against the wind these days.

The French are not as strong as we give them credit for. Ulster ran ASM close forfeicsake - away from home. They are learning. But, we are Champions Of Europe.

Come and get it sucker

See ye lot at Twickers for a Showdown - if ye take advantage of the luck given ye. And this time, if it happens - ye culchies are not getting all the tickets.

The Final everyone wants - is Leinster v Toulouse. Maybe next year, Munster can join the sexshy-club.

But, I digress.

In Elmer we Trust!

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:10 pm

Profitius,

They played excellent rugby for a good few years under Cheika too. Remember their 2006 camapign where they beat Bath, Agen, Toulouse etc - that team was electric.

Schmidt is clearly a very good coach but I've seen Leinster fans simply in cuckoo land. He should coach All Blacks, he is best club coach in world rugby, he will make any team win in style, Ireland would win and play well with him involved etc.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:12 pm

Gibbo nodoy wants TWO sechxy rugby teams. Leinster v Munster final is what we want.

You do have best team in it I agree. But I don't see you beating Sarries away (I know you did last year) or Clermont in France.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

Gibson wrote:
In Elmer we Trust!

Be vewy quiet. I hunting wabbits!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:17 pm

I'm really hoping to see Clermont vs Leinster in France. That'll be a cracking semi-final. Ulster vs Toulouse in the other one. Doesn't get much better than that Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

Laugh Ale

I just want to have pints with Trevor Brennan, me. Cool
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:20 pm

Notch wrote:I'm really hoping to see Clermont vs Leinster in France. That'll be a cracking semi-final. Ulster vs Toulouse in the other one. Doesn't get much better than that Wink

I think that is more than possible Notch. More than possible.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

Edinburgh v Cardiff it is then

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

You know where to find him Gibbo - plus next year you'll be cooped up in Australia with him and probably another ex-international hell raiser or two for 5 or 6 weeks. Wink

Prices and full packages to be out soon my friend!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

DOD wrote:Edinburgh v Cardiff it is then

Can you imagine!!!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:23 pm

red_stag wrote:Gibbo nodoy wants TWO sechxy rugby teams. Leinster v Munster final is what we want.

You do have best team in it I agree. But I don't see you beating Sarries away (I know you did last year) or Clermont in France.

Yer avin a giraffe mate. Sarries in a SF, at Twickers, more possibly Wembley - would be a bye to the Final. It will be ASM in France.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:26 pm

That would put us all in our place and be great for the HC as a whole.

6,000 fans at Twickers tho?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:31 pm

Gibson wrote:

That would put us all in our place and be great for the HC as a whole.

6,000 fans at Twickers tho?

Don't forget the dog Whistle

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

Dog guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:33 pm

In reality there will no doubt be 30,000 Irish at it even if no Irish teams are there.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:34 pm

Personally I think Schmidt is the messiah, a genious....miles ahead of any coach around.

He understands the game and how it should be played...how to dominate the rucks and create quick ball, the short passing game, hitting angles back against the inside shoulder, the squad rotation, keeping everything simple and effective.....he's turned leinster into an unplayable team.

I mean if he can make wasters like Cullen, McFadden and D'arcy look like world beaters imagine what he could do with talented players like Paddy Wallace ...Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:39 pm

Rodders you actually made so much sense in your last post I'm starting to think maybe your the Messiah!

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

Gibson wrote: Dog guinness

Hug Ale OK Laugh

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:43 pm

Irishhoneymonster wrote:Rodders you actually made so much sense in your last post I'm starting to think maybe your the Messiah!
Rodders broke out and had a pint of buckfast
Declan Kidney: Great Man Manager or Luckiest Man Alive - Page 2 3933776953

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

Half-pint DOD...there's a recession on you know..... zen
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:29 pm

Irishhoneymonster wrote:Rodders you actually made so much sense in your last post I'm starting to think maybe your the Messiah!
+1. And a half.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:38 pm

Eddie was a control freak who set Ireland back by ignoring any succession policy in the team. This is the guy who created zero competition for places and made only two substitutions per game - DOC for MOK and Best for Fla round about 60 minutes. That was his idea of building depth. Eddie totally mismanaged ROG and DHumph and ignored new talent. Heaslip had been voted in the CL dream team and still was left behind for the 07 RWC. Ferris went but didn't play and was so disenfranchised he threw his tour cap away.

It's worth remembering that disastrous backdrop that Kidney had to take over from. He had to start introducing players to provide competition and cover for places which he has largely done. Does anyone seriously believe Ross would be playing for Ireland rather than Buckley if EOS was still in charge? Sexton would probably have been scapegoated long ago the way Bowe was after France 06. Eddie was a terrible man manger who managed to de-motivate everyone not in his untouchables.

Considering that Kidney was in charge when Ireland won their only junior RWC, Ireland's first GS in the modern era (and Ireland A winning the Churchill Cup), and presided over Ireland's best ever RWC campaign, then he must indeed be the luckiest man not just alive but ever. Alternatively he may have had some management skills to influence that?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next