The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ivan the Mercenary?

+2
hawkeye
Positively 4th Street
6 posters

Go down

Ivan the Mercenary? Empty Ivan the Mercenary?

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 24 Jan 2012, 3:55 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, I had a look and couldn't see it anywhere.

Anyway, just read some interesting/inflammatory comments from 'Gentleman' Jim Courier about Lendl's return to the tennis world. From the Times:

“There is a reason and it is a little bit more mercenary,” Courier, who lost all four matches to Lendl in his career, told the Australian broadcaster.

“He hasn’t been allowed to make any money from tennis for the past 15 years because he cashed in disability insurance. That’s the reason Ivan is back again. There are all sorts of complexities there.

“That said, I think it is great that Ivan is back. I don’t like it when our champions disappear and lose contact with the sport. Now he will be 20-25 weeks on the road. It is great to have him back.”

When Courier’s comments were put to him yesterday, Lendl was incensed. “That is ridiculous,” he said. “Jim should not be saying things like that. He does not have the proper information. End of story.”

The article also mentioned that Lendl had a degenerative spine condition, which was news to me. I'm guessing this is the 'disability' mentioned above. Always good to see a verbal spat between two old rivals!

On another note, I'm not sure how playing golf would have helped his back!

Last edited by Positively 4th Street on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected typo)

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Ivan the Mercenary? Empty Re: Ivan the Mercenary?

Post by hawkeye Tue 24 Jan 2012, 5:35 pm

I know there is an interesting story around this but Lendl is not going to tell us. He is keeping well hidden behind towels and positive publicity.

https://www.606v2.com/t22430-llendl-hides-behind-towel

https://www.606v2.com/t21841-does-everyone-love-lendl-now

I did read that article in the Times with the Courier quotes and I also saw another quote from Courier about Llendl's "humour". He said something like it was alway's nasty and at the expense of someone else. I'm afraid I can't remember where I read it so can't provide a link.

He sounds like a very srong character and I get the feeling that many have a lot to say about him but I doubt we will hear much. In fact now he is
linked with Murray I doubt we will hear anything much about him.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 6:04 pm

Lendl a retired Tennis player has been hired to take up a coaching role. What is mercenary about that ?
Courier is also a retired player who is carrying out a media role which I assume makes him money. By his own criteria is he not also being mercenary ?

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

This is a spoof piece of news following Murrays 2009 victory at Queens. It might amuse Hawkeye and others: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/murray-cruises-to-historic,-charmless-victory-200906151827/

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 24 Jan 2012, 6:43 pm

Well he certainly was advised not to play tennis again when he quit but that golf would be a suitable alternative.

Surprising that he has played at least a couple of exhibition matches over the last couple of years since supposedly the advice was any tennis could cause him further on-going back problems. How mercenary he is now is debatable since he has golf interests and apparently looks after two of his daughters with their respective golf careers.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:06 am

Hang on a minute, whether or not it's true, I don't get this

He hasn’t been allowed to make any money from tennis for the past 15 years because he cashed in disability insurance.

Why would cashing in an insurance meaning he couldn't make any money? Is he talking about how he wasn't allowed to play vets matches if he wanted that disability benefit?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:08 am

Nore Staat, harsh and possibly unfair, yet still very funny. Better than I thought it would be.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

HB,

I was similarly baffled by the whole 15 year thing.

The spoof article was so over the top that I quite enjoyed it too.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 25 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

I hope Ivan gives Murray a good kicking for that performance. To come through 3 sets with 47% of first serves in is lucky. That stat is poor and I hope a clip round the ear by Ivan might sharpen his focus. Other than that it is good to see him play some aggressive stuff. Against Djokovic, he must leave the passive crap back in 2009 where it belongs!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 25 Jan 2012, 3:26 pm

So all it requires is a magical clip round the ear from Lendl and Murray will solve his service problems? Lendl is a coach worth his weight in gold.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Wed 25 Jan 2012, 3:31 pm

I agree lk. Djokovic will eat him if he serves like that, but I think he will up his percentage. Think the fact that he was playing Nishikori contributed, i.e. made him a little more lax. My main concern for Murray is that I think it will take a colossal effort for him to get past Djokovic, and, if he does, will he be able to rouse himself for the final?

Last edited by Positively 4th Street on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missing question mark added)

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 25 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

Hawky,

You're right. I think giving you a clip round the ear would more than suffice.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 25 Jan 2012, 3:40 pm

Ha ha! That would probably have as much chance of increasing Murrays service percentage as Lendl resorting to violence. Violence will get you nowhere.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down