The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Wales Manager - Chris Coleman

4 posters

Go down

New Wales Manager - Chris Coleman Empty New Wales Manager - Chris Coleman

Post by Adam D Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:55 am

Chris Coleman has been unveiled as the new Wales manager to replace the late Gary Speed.

The Football Association of Wales confirmed Coleman's appointment at a Cardiff news conference on Thursday.

Coleman said it was one of the proudest moments of his career but also a difficult situation.

"We're still all shocked by what happened [with Gary Speed] and we're still grieving," said Coleman.

"And the only way we can put smiles on fans' faces again is to continue to win matches but I don't think we'll ever get over the loss of Gary.

"I've already spoken with the FAW members... and I said 'excuse me if I don't seem that excited, I am excited, I'm just a little bit subdued because of the circumstances'.

"It won't be easy but I'm looking forward to it. I think for any manager who was going to come in it was going to be difficult because of the situation and it's more difficult for me with my relationship with Gary.

"I am excited but I am subdued because of the circumstances, it's not going to be easy but it's something I'm prepared for.

"On one hand it is the proudest moment of my career but on the other hand, with the circumstances I was very close friends with Gary for 30 years.

"It is the most difficult press conference I am ever likely to do."

The FAW's chief executive Jonathan Ford admitted it had been a difficult time since Speed's death in November 2011.

"This has been a very difficult process. We have explored every avenue, every scenario possible," said Ford.

"We have taken on board the thoughts and views of the backroom staff, the players and the supporters.

CHRIS COLEMANBorn 10 June 1970 in SwanseaWon 32 caps for WalesPlayed for Swansea City, Crystal Palace, Blackburn Rovers and FulhamManaged Fulham, Real Sociedad, Coventry City and Larissa

"All along we believe that we have been respectful and dignified and had no wish to be involved in a public debate on the appointment of Gary's successor.

"Gary was the manager of Welsh football and of course we want to continue his legacy.

"He was not a figurehead, he was the manager and that is why we have decided on the appointment of Chris Coleman to build on the excellent foundations put in place by Gary."

After treading carefully under difficult circumstances following Speed's death in November, the FAW accelerated its search for a new manager over the past week.

Former Fulham boss Coleman was contacted by the governing body last week after resigning as manager of Larissa because of financial problems at the Greek club.

John Hartson, another former Wales international, was the only other candidate to publicly announce his interest, while Ryan Giggs and Ian Rush had been suggested as possible "figureheads".

Coleman joined Larissa in May 2011 as he attempted to resurrect his managerial career after a year out of the game.

His last job in England was with Coventry City, but he was sacked in 2010 after a difficult two and a half years in charge.

Before joining the Sky Blues, a promising start as manager of Real Sociedad ended in resignation following internal upheaval at the Spanish club.

Injuries suffered in a car accident cut short Coleman's playing career at the age of 32. His last match was a brief appearance as a substitute in a 1-0 win against Germany to win his 32nd Wales cap.

But his managerial career began less than a year later when he was appointed by Fulham following Jean Tigana's dismissal.

He spent four years in charge at Craven Cottage, leading the club to their then highest Premier League finish of ninth, before being sacked in 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16595203.stm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

New Wales Manager - Chris Coleman Empty Re: New Wales Manager - Chris Coleman

Post by Crimey Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:46 am

I'm just not sure this was the correct decision. Coleman has a relatively poor record, his successes at Fulham have yet to be repeated anywhere else, and you're bringing in somebody completely new.

I doubt he has the long-term vision as Gary Speed who I felt was prepared to be Wales manager for life, the manner in which he so easily left Sheffield United after so short a time made me think the Wales job meant the world to him and no job would make him turn that one down.

It's obviously hard to judge before it happens, but we'll see how Coleman does, but I'm not confident that he will be a success.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:07 am

I really hope he does well.

A positive sign is that he is keeping on Speeds backroom staff by the looks of things which will hopefully allow for some continuity.

If you would have asked me pre-Speed who I would have rathered between Gary and Chris, I would have picked Coleman (even though Speed was my all time fave Welsh player).

What I dont understand is why he has been appointed before the Costa Rica game if, as he has stated, he will watch from the stands and not make changes to the set up in place.

I hope for Garys memory and for Wales progress, that he has found his job that he will enjoy and excel at.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 am

Personally, I would have simply promoted the assistant *insert dutch name* and Oision Roberts. They knew exactly what Gary's vision was, knew the training regimes and most importantly new the players. As much as I respect Chris he will bring his own ideas to the mix and it could disrupt the progress Wales have made, he may even replace the current coaching staff. On the other hand, he could bring slightly more managerial experience and continue the good work put in place by the late Speedo. I for one hope for the latter outcome and Welsh football continues in its good ways.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 am

What about the Great Redeemer Graham Henry as the next Wales coach?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down