The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Nations - it’s that time of year again.

+25
Shifty
Feckless Rogue
flankertye
Galted
Effervescing Elephant
bedfordwelsh
doctor_grey
geoff998rugby
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Woodstock
Biltong
Morgannwg
bsando
Looseheaded
Cymroglan
wales606
Gatts
SecretFly
mckay1402
majesticimperialman
bigballbag
Taylorman
red_stag
miteyironpaw
HERSH
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who will finish highest out of the Home Nations?

6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Vote_lcap36%6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 24 ]
6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Vote_lcap33%6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 22 ]
6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Vote_lcap8%6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Vote_lcap23%6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 66

6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Empty 6 Nations - it’s that time of year again.

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:43 pm

There's no mistake, I smell that smell
it’s that time of year again, I can taste the 6 nation’s anticipation in the air.

As a kid and like most kids Christmas was my favourite time of year but as the years have past I can’t wait to get Christmas and New Year out of the way as this means the best rugby competition in the world is only a stones throw away, OK it might not be the best rugby on show this season but the drama and passion is unrivalled in rugby, some say the HC is better, well maybe it is but unless you’ve won it most fans opinions are worthless anyway.

Once again the banter has started early and once again Wales have sold out of pink cowboy hats, unlike match day tickets in Scotland!
Ireland could have sold twice the amount of tickets for the tiny Aviva (that was well thought out!) and England have an injury list longer than their bar bill in NZ.

So who’s going to perform best out of the Home Nations (yes that includes both Ireland and Scotland, for now) No doubt Wales will be favourites in Wales and Scotland will be the fans tip for finishing bottom of the heap. But what about the reigning champions? That’s England by the way.

England is a bit of an unknown at the moment we have loads of talented youngsters but is that enough for 6 nation’s glory, hmm no IMO. To throw a young team together and expect them to take on the Scots and then the Italians in Rome is a big ask, as we all know everyone raises their game against us.

Ireland will be there or there a bout’s, one week they’ll look like they could take on anyone in the world only to play like an un-coached colt’s team the next.

Wales what can you say if only they could play for 80mins then surely they could beat anyone on their day, even the mighty All Blacks, but then again the lack of HC glory in Wales is damaging the game, the Regions have failed to connect to the fans for all sorts of reasons and with Football taking over who knows how long rugby has got left as the national sport in Wales?

Scotland lets just say I think Robinson has done a good job with the Jocks and I wouldn’t be surprised if they beat England in the 1st game only to throw it all away against Italy later on, so who knows where they will finish up?

As for the championship itself it has to be France, they should have won the world cup and if they had anyone else in charge apart from Marc Lievremont they would have done.

Last edited by HERSH on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Empty Re: 6 Nations - it’s that time of year again.

Post by miteyironpaw Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:46 pm

...the best rugby competition in the world is only a stones throw away...

Sorry HERSH, but the Rugby Championship doesn't start until August 18.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

6 Nations - it’s that time of year again. Empty Re: 6 Nations - it’s that time of year again.

Post by red_stag Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:56 pm

Hersh, this is a very good article. Sums up the Home Nations nicely.

I usually think the 6 Nations is tripe. However I am actually eagerly awaiting it this year.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:15 pm

Very good hersh. Starting to look forward to it myself, the wcup bringing these teams closer to us down here.
Wales and france to fight it out for me though im looking more for the quality of tbe rugby itself with so many contrasting styles on offer this year.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by bigballbag Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

Wales should have beaten France, France should have won the world cup.

So Wales should have won the world cup.

bigballbag

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:39 pm

bigballbag wrote:Wales should have beaten France, France should have won the world cup.

Llke Hersh has just said WALES need to play for the full eighty mintues before they can even think about winnig the Rugby World Cup. If Wales can bring their world cup display(the way they played in the RWC ) to the 6ns, then their is a possibilty they may get 3rd place this year. If not then 4th place again. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 7:42 pm

Unfortunately I think Wales will finish 3rd. France, England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and then Italy. I think England, Wales and Ireland might even be level on points.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

mckay1402 wrote:I think Wales will finish 3rd. France, England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and then Italy. I think England, Wales and Ireland might even be level on points.

But we'll still be forth? So not many tries from Ireland this season?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:02 pm

Hesrh, always a sly pop....you clearly know nothing of Welsh rugby if you think it is ever in danger of being supplanted by football as national sport.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

I knew England had Scotland at Murrayfield first up, but didnt realise that they then had to go to Rome.

Two really bogey fixtures for a team low on confidence and with a large number of injuries/retirement.

If England lose to Scotland then they could bomb out to Italy aswell

On the other hand, if they can go away and get 2 scalps it will be a huge boost before taking on Wales at Twickers.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

Apparently England are an unknown quantity and according to Dayglo this is a great chance to build....au contraire, we all know, especially the Scots and Italians, that England are on offer and they have to build because they are effectively back to square one as a team.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

Building is not a word I would use. At the moment I think England are just marking out the foundations the coaching staff and players will need a few games together before they can start on the building work.

Wales could go all the way this year and I'm quietly confident we will.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:25 pm

if Ian Evans steps up we have a sniff so long as priest stays fit and WE KICK OUR FECKING BASTUD GOALS!!!!!!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:36 pm

Gatts wrote:Hesrh, always a sly pop....you clearly know nothing of Welsh rugby if you think it is ever in danger of being supplanted by football as national sport.

Where are the fans Gatts?

Swansea and Cardiff manage to fill their stadiums for football yet when its a local derby between the Ospreys and Blues the stadium is over half empty, no wonder players are going overseas.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:43 pm

Well written article Hersh. I put Wales obviously, because I'm sane and in no way biased...

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:45 pm

HERSH wrote:
Gatts wrote:Hesrh, always a sly pop....you clearly know nothing of Welsh rugby if you think it is ever in danger of being supplanted by football as national sport.

Where are the fans Gatts?

Swansea and Cardiff manage to fill their stadiums for football yet when its a local derby between the Ospreys and Blues the stadium is over half empty, no wonder players are going overseas.

Regional attendances are another issue and have zip to do with whether rugby is the national sport of Wales. There are numerous factors at play but football is not one of them!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:57 pm

At the end of the day Gatts unless the Regions get more bums on seats then they are going to struggle to keep hold of the big names let alone pay them, most families only have so much money, would they rather watch the likes of Rooney, Silva etc or a 2nd string Ospreys team?

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:21 pm

Do you know what this post is missing? An overly ambitious Scot! Don't worry here I am! I bet you were all wondering who placed the single vote for Scotland? Well it was me, a proud Scotland fan! My vote is 50% sheer blind belief and 50% fact. I do truly believe Scotland can and will perform better this year. Its going to be 1990 all over again! What a day that was! not that I'd know I was only 2 years old, but my father had a good time!... We have the players all we need now is for everyone to right us off... so far so good Wink

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:55 pm

I think a lack of Bath, not just in the Heineken Cup but rugby in general may see England suffer because it's damaging the game.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm

HERSH wrote:At the end of the day Gatts unless the Regions get more bums on seats then they are going to struggle to keep hold of the big names let alone pay them, most families only have so much money, would they rather watch the likes of Rooney, Silva etc or a 2nd string Ospreys team?

How's that? The attendances have been around the same figure for years. And Wales may have a central contracting system in place in the near future.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:57 am

bsando wrote:Do you know what this post is missing? An overly ambitious Scot! Don't worry here I am! I bet you were all wondering who placed the single vote for Scotland? Well it was me, a proud Scotland fan! My vote is 50% sheer blind belief and 50% fact. I do truly believe Scotland can and will perform better this year. Its going to be 1990 all over again! What a day that was! not that I'd know I was only 2 years old, but my father had a good time!... We have the players all we need now is for everyone to right us off... so far so good Wink

Leave Cardiff immediately. Very Happy

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:59 am

HERSH wrote:At the end of the day Gatts unless the Regions get more bums on seats then they are going to struggle to keep hold of the big names let alone pay them, most families only have so much money, would they rather watch the likes of Rooney, Silva etc or a 2nd string Ospreys team?

Like i said sunshine you know feck all about Welsh rugby...yes there are issues but football isn't the panacea for any of them...if you ever stood and watched as our fans sang the anthem at Cardiff you would know that rugby is more than a national sport, for a Welshman it is life.

Last edited by Gatts on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to slate hersh)

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:19 am

Everyone is underestimating England. After their disastrous campaign in the world cup there is much to set right.

There are enough players in england to select from, their mindset will be to prove what happened in the world cup is history and their tarnished image needs redemption.

Ireland after beating australia and fininshing top of their group would have expected to beat Wales, and hence their dissappointment will provide them the motivation to set that right.

France is inexplicably the unknown, usually over the last 12 years they perfomr the best, but I don't expect too much from them this year.

Wales will look at the positives of last year's world cup, they won;t be bothered by having lost to SA, France, and Oz twice. This is a tournamnet where they have proven over recent years that they either do a grandslam of don't feature at all. Watch their first two games and we'll see which wlesh team rocks up.

I personally think England has the most to gain from winning the 6 Nations and thus will be motivated to do so, they are the defending champions after all.

Hersh, very good article, I suppose I have grown so accustomed to your digs, I was pleasantly surprised.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:27 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
bigballbag wrote:Wales should have beaten France, France should have won the world cup.

Llke Hersh has just said WALES need to play for the full eighty mintues before they can even think about winnig the Rugby World Cup. If Wales can bring their world cup display(the way they played in the RWC ) to the 6ns, then their is a possibilty they may get 3rd place this year. If not then 4th place again. Whistle

Hahahaha Comedy at its best.

Wales pull it off at Ireland they will go all the way.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:38 am

Woodstock wrote:

Beating Ireland will be NO garantee that Wales will go all the way.

Remember Wales have losst Shane Williams to retirement now, If you look back at Wales in the last couple of 6ns, you will notice that Wales have always played a kind of "CATCH UP" rugby, they have played a slow tempo game for 50/60 minutes then realised that they are in a game, but it has taken Shane Williams too, if you like (Spark the Wales team into life) So like i say if Wales can bring their style of play that they had in the Rugby World Cup they have a chance. If not then it will be the same old same old.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 11 Jan 2012, 6:04 am

Woodstock wrote:

Beating Ireland will be NO garantee that Wales will go all the way.

Remember Wales have losst Shane Williams to retirement now, If you look back at Wales in the last couple of 6ns, you will notice that Wales have always played a kind of "CATCH UP" rugby, they have played a slow tempo game for 50/60 minutes then realised that they are in a game, but it has taken Shane Williams too, if you like (Spark the Wales team into life) So like i say if Wales can bring their style of play that they had in the Rugby World Cup they have a chance. If not then it will be the same old same old.

?
You say that Wales not beating Ireland is no guarantee Wales will not go all the way.... then proceed to tell us how they play in individual matches; this may explain how they lose those matches but does not account for the fact that if they beat ireland they will not, in your opinion, 'go all the way'

1. If Wales beat Ireland away then IMO they will face France in a GS play off - you heard it here
2. The 50/60 minute issue you refer to is somewhat accurate; traditionally Wales come out of the blocks asleep, ship points, keep in touch, play catch up in the last 1/3 of the game facilitated perhaps by a Shane try and emerge narrow losers or narrow winners as it is their preference for heads up off load rugby v tired opposition. This style has lead to countless last minute wins but has also hardwired Welsh rugby psychologically

Gatland has tried to change this style and its effect. The set piece has been strengthened and more emphasis has been put on phase play, territorial kicking and ball in hand through the ground. in addition the defensive game has been emphasised.

Combine this structured approach with moments of sublime genius form a Philipps/Williams/Jenkins and you have a potent combination; there is still work to do, mostly on our leadership all over the park - Dayglo is right on that front - and strength in depth everywhere. Mentally we still fail to press home the advantage and our error rate can be shocking. But, much more than this, and the reason we failed in NZ......

IT MEANS FECK ALL IF WE MISS POINTS OFF THE BOOT!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Jan 2012, 6:25 am

Gatts all teams miss with the boot and lose close matches.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:30 am

biltongbek wrote:Gatts all teams miss with the boot and lose close matches.

Just not against Wales

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:34 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Gatts all teams miss with the boot and lose close matches.

Just not against Wales

Very Happy laughing Yahoo drumroll Tumbleweed

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:23 am

Morgannwg wrote:

How's that? The attendances have been around the same figure for years. And Wales may have a central contracting system in place in the near future.

Hmm, I think you'll find that they'll drop once the big names disappear overseas, and aren't they lower than last year already?
In the long run the regions aren't sustainable as they are, something will have to give at some point as there is only so much money you can get from sponsors, they need more bums on seats to survive.
Erm
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

Gate receipts area small part of a clubs income.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:35 am

Well good luck with that in the long term Whistle , remind me not to hire you as my accountant.

But if you can't pull in the punters with a star studded team then how are they going to do it with a bunch of unknowns?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:37 am

The same is true for English and French teams as well.

TV and Sponsorship are both bigger income earners and mercandise is up there with gate receipts for many clubs.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

Leicester Tigers = big Stands, filled with fans = Big profits

Ospreys = big stands with no fans = loses/breaking even, if they're lucky.

Which one would you rather have if you were a club owner?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

Doesn't fundamentally change the % make up of income though which is the point I was making.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:02 am

But a club/region without any fans is nothing, how are they going to get bums on seats when Football is growing and in many ways is now the more popular sport in Wales, at a club level.

The Regions are doomed, as a young kid would rather go and watch their football heros playing at the Liberty like Wayne Rooney, Bale etc.. than Dan Biggar
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:03 am

For example!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:07 am

HERSH wrote:There's no mistake, I smell that smell
it’s that time of year again, I can taste the 6 nation’s anticipation in the air.
Love the comment. I smell that smell. Not too bad, Not too bad at all..........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:17 am

I have unashamedly gone with my heart and said Wales will finish as the top Home Nation BUT I do have a sneaky feeling St Andre will have France firing and they will win the 6 Nations but not with a Slam.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

HERSH wrote:But a club/region without any fans is nothing, how are they going to get bums on seats when Football is growing and in many ways is now the more popular sport in Wales, at a club level.

The Regions are doomed, as a young kid would rather go and watch their football heros playing at the Liberty like Wayne Rooney, Bale etc.. than Dan Biggar

How selective can you be - I could also go to an Ospreys match and watch Pienaer, Trimble, O'Connell or Bowe or Williams. Alternatively you have Blackburn, Bolton and Wigan.

You need to take Rugby attendances as a whole i.e include the 5000 or so who turn up at Ponty on a regular basis. If all levels are include I have no doubt more people watch rugby than soccer in Wales on an average weekend.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:21 am

Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:24 am

So no counter arguement then Yahoo

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:24 am

'Wales what can you say if only they could play for 80mins then surely they could beat anyone on their day, even the mighty All Blacks, but then again the lack of HC glory in Wales is damaging the game, the Regions have failed to connect to the fans for all sorts of reasons and with Football taking over who knows how long rugby has got left as the national sport in Wales?'

Two Slams and a WC Semi final since Regional inception not to bad considering lack of HC glory is damaging us Hersh.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:29 am

All anyone has to do is to turn on the TV and play spot the difference.

Watch a football game played at the Liberty or Cardiff City Stadium and then watch a Rugby game.

Now tell me which one is the more successful? steam

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:32 am

Arguement won. Very Happy

Stay on Topic please. Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:32 am

On any weekend you have one big football crowd at Swansea or Cardiff and after that very little else.

In rugby you have a couple of Pro12 matches and numerous, often very well supported Division 1 rugby matches.

The number turning out at rugby grounds week on week is substantially higher than football.

So in answer to your question - rugby

er no -arguement lost laughing

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

Laugh

prove it, where are the stats Whistle

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

Football has always drawn larger crowds than rugby even in the amateur and club days.

Before Regionalism there were 12 teams all with at least one or more International players in they side all generally within walking distant of the whole of South Wales so fan bases were spread thin.

In South Wales football fans had 3 then only 2 teams in the football league so if they wanted to watch that level then they had to travel from all over South Wales.

There is still a lot of tribalism through the older generations with regards to Regionalism so its the younger generation that the Regions need to (are are doing) attract and plan for the future.

The other comparrison is at International level, Wales will 95% of the time sell out the MS or get it 3/4 full at least Welsh International football will never get to that level of support.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:04 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Football has always drawn larger crowds than rugby even in the amateur and club days.

Before Regionalism there were 12 teams all with at least one or more International players in they side all generally within walking distant of the whole of South Wales so fan bases were spread thin.

In South Wales football fans had 3 then only 2 teams in the football league so if they wanted to watch that level then they had to travel from all over South Wales.

There is still a lot of tribalism through the older generations with regards to Regionalism so its the younger generation that the Regions need to (are are doing) attract and plan for the future.

The other comparrison is at International level, Wales will 95% of the time sell out the MS or get it 3/4 full at least Welsh International football will never get to that level of support.

I kinda begs the question..... Are there any people in North Wales at all?? I always hear this in the eternal 'regions or no regions' debate and now I hear it about a sport I don't follow (football) - the total preoccupation with South Wales. That must be the 'regional' issue in a nutshell - North Wales just doesn't seem to reckon in any debate on any subject in Wales

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:06 pm

Gwent Dragons average 5,697
Llanelli average 9,161
Ospreys average 7,317
Cardiff Blues average 7,186

Cardiff City average 22,091
Swansea City average 19822
Wrexham average 3,712

Hmmm Headscratch

Last edited by HERSH on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next