The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto after Judah!

+5
School Project
88Chris05
azania
Imperial Ghosty
ONETWOFOREVER
9 posters

Go down

Cotto after Judah! Empty Cotto after Judah!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 04 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

Happy new year guys!

Just wanted to know your thoughts on a fight that never happened but which would have been BIG had it been made. That fight is Miguel Cotto v Oscar de la hoya. This fight would have been available for Cotto after he wore down a brave Zab Judah in MSG. At the time Cotto was un beaten and a fight against Hoya was already being talked about. No question it would have sold out a number of base ball venues and at the time I would have preferred to see Cotto face the skills of Hoya then going on to face Mosley.

I take De La Hoya shut out.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Cotto after Judah! Empty Re: Cotto after Judah!

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 04 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

The Mosley fight made far more sense, a top ranked active fighter in his division as opposed to a fairly inactive fighter in the division above, would have happened at light middleweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

What ghosty said.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:46 pm

Given that De la Hoya (foolishly) was willing to return to Welterweight to fight Pacquiao a year later, who knows, maybe he'd have foolishly moved back down to fight Cotto, too. Had that been the case, De la Hoya gets stopped in the latter stages. Cotto in 2007 was a serious operator.

At 154 lb, I'd still have heavily backed Cotto to take a decision, perhaps with a little bit of controversy about it, although I feel a lot of that controversy would have been a creation of De la Hoya himself, which was the norm whenever he lost a decision. Either way, Cotto-De la Hoya in 2007 has a Cotto win written all over it.

But as Ghosty said, Mosley didn't offer the same pay day but offered a more legitimate fight in the race for pound for pound reckoning than De la Hoya did.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:32 am

I remember there were talks of De La Hoya fighting Hatton after the Collazo fight. I can't ever help be wonder how history would have changed if he had fought Hatton over Pacquiao.

Had Cotto or Hatton fought De La Hoya, even later in his career, they may have had the recognition Pacquiao has now...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

Have to agree with Project...If that DLH faced either Cotto or Hatton we wouldn't even be talking about Pacquaio now.

As much as we hate Bob Arum, it was a superb piece of match-making on his part and set Pacman on the road to where he is now.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:51 pm

The Sweet Science UK wrote:Have to agree with Project...If that DLH faced either Cotto or Hatton we wouldn't even be talking about Pacquaio now.

As much as we hate Bob Arum, it was a superb piece of match-making on his part and set Pacman on the road to where he is now.

After 2 years of redicule on the subject, someone has finally agreed with my theory... DLH was the catalyst and if anyone else had retired him, they would have gone on to be the biggest money spinning article of recent times (or as some call them P4P #1).

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Given that De la Hoya (foolishly) was willing to return to Welterweight to fight Pacquiao a year later, who knows, maybe he'd have foolishly moved back down to fight Cotto, too. Had that been the case, De la Hoya gets stopped in the latter stages. Cotto in 2007 was a serious operator.

At 154 lb, I'd still have heavily backed Cotto to take a decision, perhaps with a little bit of controversy about it, although I feel a lot of that controversy would have been a creation of De la Hoya himself, which was the norm whenever he lost a decision. Either way, Cotto-De la Hoya in 2007 has a Cotto win written all over it.

But as Ghosty said, Mosley didn't offer the same pay day but offered a more legitimate fight in the race for pound for pound reckoning than De la Hoya did.

Very true. I'm amazed there wasn't more controversy about his fight with Hopkins - considering his normal post-loss reaction
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm

School Project wrote:
The Sweet Science UK wrote:Have to agree with Project...If that DLH faced either Cotto or Hatton we wouldn't even be talking about Pacquaio now.

After 2 years of redicule on the subject, someone has finally agreed with my theory... DLH was the catalyst and if anyone else had retired him, they would have gone on to be the biggest money spinning article of recent times (or as some call them P4P #1).

I'm sure if I'd seen you make that post before I would have backed your claims then mate; I rarely post on here but it's become a much better place to debate boxing than boxingscene (where I used to post).

But your right DLH was the catalyst. I mean to be fair he helped put Floyd on the map (to an extent). Floyd was just a smart businessmen and he took advantage of it (i.e. helping to create 24/7 which allowed a bigger canvas to exploit his bad boy image).
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sat 07 Jan 2012, 6:11 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Given that De la Hoya (foolishly) was willing to return to Welterweight to fight Pacquiao a year later, who knows, maybe he'd have foolishly moved back down to fight Cotto, too. Had that been the case, De la Hoya gets stopped in the latter stages. Cotto in 2007 was a serious operator.

De La Hoya stops Cotto at 154...Cant see Cotto winning to be honest...De La Hoya is the more skilled fighter would outbox Cotto.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 07 Jan 2012, 6:16 pm

By 2007 Oscar had long seen better days and Cotto was on fire. Even at 154lbs I would back Cotto to win maybe not by stoppage but by a pretty wide points margin.

At 147lbs it would have been a massacre Oscar was washed up by then.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sat 07 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

SugarRayRussell wrote:By 2007 Oscar had long seen better days and Cotto was on fire. Even at 154lbs I would back Cotto to win maybe not by stoppage but by a pretty wide points margin.

At 147lbs it would have been a massacre Oscar was washed up by then.

Couldn't barely scrap past Malignaggi...If Cotto wins (which he wont) it would be by close decision.

I agree at 147 it would be a massacre...De La Hoya was ripe for anyone at 147 at that stage of his career.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:12 pm

He had improved a fair bit since the Malignaggi fight by the time he was beating Judah.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:20 pm

Malignaggi was better than as well and could be very awkward along with very tough.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:26 pm

Pre Hatton, Malignaggi was a very good fighter, feather fisted or not he was always capable of giving anybody problems.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down