The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first test ratings for OZ vs India

+2
msp83
Mike Selig
6 posters

Go down

first test ratings for OZ vs India Empty first test ratings for OZ vs India

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 am

goood result for the aussies....

my 1st test ratings

AUSTRALIA:

Warner: 5
Cowan: 7
Marsh: 3
Ponting: 6
Clarke: 4
Hussey: 7
Haddin: 5
Siddle: 7
Pattinson: 8
Hilfenhaus: 9
Lyon: 6

INDIA:

Sehwag: 7
Gambhir: 4
Dravid: 6
Tendulkar: 7
Laxman: 5
Kohli: 2
Dhoni: 4
Ashwin: 5
Sharma: 7
Zaheer: 8
Yadav: 9

Back to top Go down

first test ratings for OZ vs India Empty Re: first test ratings for OZ vs India

Post by Mike Selig Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:15 am

I don't see what Gambhir did better than Marsh or indeed Kohli. At least the latter two were good in the field. To give Ponting (the best batsman in the match) 6 and other batsmen (including Shewag and Cowan) 7 is slightly silly. I also don't see what Yadav did better than Pattinson. I would say:

Cowan: 6 - good knock in the first innings but if one is harsh should have gone on to make a hundred. Lapse of judgement in the second dig. Looks decent under the lid at short leg.
Warner: 4 - made a start in the first dig, played an unspeakable shot in the second but I think we'll have to put up with that. Simply outstanding fielder who nearly conjured a catch out of nothing to get rid of Shewag, produced numerous diving stops and took a beauty to end the game.
Marsh: 2 - he'll want to forget this match and hope he gets another go. Based on what I think of him, he should do.
Ponting: 8 - the best batsman in the game in terms of runs scored, and him, Tendulkar and Hussey were really a class above. Looks energised in the field, loads of support for the bowlers and held a tricky catch to get Gambhir out.
Clarke: 5 - a start in the first dig and got a good'un in the second but he'll be disappointed overall. Captained the side well, particularly a couple of times when India were going along nicely he kept the game in check.
Hussey: 7 - how luck can change. Got a shocker in the first innings, then dropped a tough chance in the gully, but terrific fighting 89 only ended by a fantastic ball. Then took an absolute screamer to get the vital wicket of Shewag in the final innings, I can't emphasize how good that catch was.
Haddin: 5 - important runs in the first innings, kept tidily although dropped Shewag with one he probably should have caught. Great energy in the field.
Siddle: 8 - Got Tendulkar out twice, got hugely vital runs, offered great support and advice to young Pattinson from mid-off. Australia's unsung hero.
Pattinson: 9 - everytime I see him I think "superstar". Scored runs, bowled some genuinely world class spells (the one during which he got Shewag in the first innings, and the one during which he got Dravid and Laxman stand out), good fielder, great athlete. How good can he be?
Hilfenhaus: 9 - what a return to test cricket! His 5 wicket haul in the first innings set things up for Australia, and then got Shewag in dig 2 (with a fairly ordinary ball it has to be said). Oh and he scored some important runs as well.
Lyon: 4 - not called on to do much, will struggle during this series I feel. Never troubled the Indian batsmen. Looks a handy no11 though.

Gambhir: 1 - sorry but didn't play well enough for an opening batsman. Comparisons with Phil Hughes may appear a bit unfair, but his way of fencing outside off was reminiscent. Needs to sort himself out or be dropped. Also not good enough in the field.
Shewag: 6 - Good, if chancy knock in the first innings could have set the game up for India. Wouldn't blame him for playing the shot he did in the second dig, the ball was there to be hit but it was just poor execution. Good in the gully, but not much use in the outfield one feels.
Dravid: 6 - not at his best but gutsed it out in the first innings. Dropped a sitter which cost India dearly, and looked somewhat out of sorts in the second innings, although he did get a fantastic ball.
Tendulkar: 7 - Looked the most at ease of all the batsmen, but couldn't push on in either innings. That hundred still eludes him.
Laxman: 2 - Australia bowled very well to him, and he didn't have an answer. Will have to come up with one soon. Caught well.
Kohli: 2.5 - gets a mark for his fielding, which was outstanding. Got out to good but not outstanding balls, as seems to be a trend for so many young batsmen around the world. Has to find a method to succeed at test level, the problems don't seem technical.
Dhoni: 3 - dreadful shot in both innings to get out, albeit with the caveat that the game was done by then in the second innings. Gets defensive too soon too much for my taste as a captain. Kept well though which was impressive. His team needs him to score runs tho.
Ashwin: 5 - took 4 wickets which flattered him somewhat as he too readily bowled short. Having said that, the pitch didn't do much for him (it rarely does for finger spinners in Australia). Scored vital runs with the bat in the first innings, and a few fortunate ones in the second innings.
Zaheer: 7.5 - bowled within himself at first but then grew into the game and produced some top balls and spells. Batted irresponsibly in both innings (not an issue in the second, but could have scored some runs in the first) and dropped a catch, hence why he doesn't score as highly as his Ausie counterparts.
Sharma: 7 - bowled well without luck and batted pluckily. I have a theory with Sharma is that he's not actually fit enough to bowl consistently over several spells. Let's see if he can prove me wrong.
Yadav: 8 - quick and raw, but gets wickets. Seems to have a knack to get batsmen out with ordinary deliveries (Marsh x 2, Ponting) which is very handy. Batted with great aplomb in the first innings and showed he can smash a few in the second. The downside is he seems hellbent to continue the tradition of average Indian fielders.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:33 pm

pretty good, realistic ratings there, mike!.
Kohli gets half a point for his fielding, but that gets canceled out for his poor reaction after being correctly given out lbw in the 2nd innings.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by slaterslc Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:05 pm

Mikes ratings are pretty spot on IMO. Maybe a bit harsh on Gambhir (he was no worse than Marsh, VVS or Kohli), but otherwise no arguments and some very good insightful comments on the players.

I agree with his theory on Sharma. He has to be the bowler to lead Indias attack and something doesnt seem quite right with him at the moment.

slaterslc

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 pm

I only saw snippets of this Test so can't meaningfully comment on all the individual ratings.

However, very similar to Mike, I do like the look of Pattinson. I mentioned on another thread yesterday that he batted on the last day with considerable nous and determination. As well as his wickets, his match total of 55 runs without being dismissed in a fairly low scoring Test shouldn't be overlooked.

Unlike Mike, I don't think ''superstar''. However, I'm only quibbling here over terminology. I see Pattinson as a highly dependable and reliable ''go to'' cricketer who now has an opportunity to cement a Test place for quite some time. Besides obvious talent, he has a cricketing brain and maturity beyond his limited experience which is probably more important.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:49 am

My 1st Test ratings:

Australia

Warner 4
Cowan 8
Marsh 2
Ponting 8
Clarke 5
Hussey 7
Haddin 5
Siddle 9
Pattinson 9
Hilfenhaus 9
Lyon 3

India

Sehwag 7
Gambhir 3
Dravid 7
Tendulkar 8
Laxman 2
Kohli 2
Dhoni 5
Ashwin 7
Zaheer Khan 7
Sharma 6
Yadav 7

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:23 pm

As always Mike is spot on thumbsup although I do feel he is slightly overhyping Pattinson.But hey he is a very talented bowler and I am not going to deny that. thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:52 pm

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:As always Mike is spot on thumbsup although I do feel he is slightly overhyping Pattinson.But hey he is a very talented bowler and I am not going to deny that. thumbsup

Thanks!

With Pattinson I know I am hyping him up big time, and to be honest if you asked me why I think he's better than Cummins and Philander (say) I'm not sure I could come up with anything more than "gut feeling". For me, the kid (I can say that as he is younger than me lol) just has something special. I really hope he doesn't crash and burn or I'll feel a bit silly...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down