The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ian Darke - The Best Commentator.

+5
Fists of Fury
BoxingFan88
Steffan
superflyweight
AlexHuckerby
9 posters

Go down

Ian Darke - The Best Commentator. Empty Ian Darke - The Best Commentator.

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 28 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

For me this man is such an unsung hero of sports. He never gets talked about but everytime he gets in front of the microphone for Sky he's impeccable. For me he is not just the best commentator for this generation, but the greatest commentator ever regardless of which sport.

In my opinion he has the perfect voice, genuinely loves the action and doesn't oversell the fight. Many people sort of "Nuthug" Harry Carpenter and the like going back in the "good old days" and perhaps it's just to do with when I was born and who I grew up listening to but for me Ian Darke is the best.

Agree or nay?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Ian Darke - The Best Commentator. Empty Re: Ian Darke - The Best Commentator.

Post by superflyweight Wed 28 Dec 2011, 5:05 pm

Can't agree that he's the best in boxing or the best regardless of sport. Personally always liked Gutteridge for boxing and I think he was someway ahead of Darke.

For me, Richie Benaud is probably the best there has been in any sport. Insightful, erudite and deeply knowledgeable about his sport. Also good with an anecdote which is essential when commentating on test cricket.

Football is sadly lacking in good commentators (Barry Davis being the last good one although he is shockingly underrated) and certain dreadful commentators (Motson) have been given undue prominence.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 28 Dec 2011, 5:54 pm

I rate the guy OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:21 pm

Yeah, totally agree, he has produced some memorable lines, especially in boxing.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:35 pm

superflyweight wrote:Can't agree that he's the best in boxing or the best regardless of sport. Personally always liked Gutteridge for boxing and I think he was someway ahead of Darke.

For me, Richie Benaud is probably the best there has been in any sport. Insightful, erudite and deeply knowledgeable about his sport. Also good with an anecdote which is essential when commentating on test cricket.

Football is sadly lacking in good commentators (Barry Davis being the last good one although he is shockingly underrated) and certain dreadful commentators (Motson) have been given undue prominence.

Spot on, Superfly, Benaud is a genius in the commentary box.

On that note, given that you clearly have an interest in cricket, you should pop across to the 606v2 cricket section from time to time! Some cracking debates there.

In answer to the OP, I do like Darke, wouldn't say he is the best but certainly up there and far superior to Watt.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Dec 2011, 9:36 am

Im a MASSIVE Jim Watt fan to be honest with you guys! Not many people rate him and after Haye vs Valuev people called for him to retire and got a bit of a slating.

Still, for me, the most knowledgable in the sport today.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

Watt seems an ok guy but tbh he cannot score a fight to save his life it can be quite embarrassing at times. Look at the Haye against Valuev fight where Haye schooled him Watt thought Valuev won that fight! Valuev barely landed any punches on Haye in the whole fight Haye was far too quick for him.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

Yep completely agree, I was baffled by the scoring in that fight from Watt to be fair!

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:58 am

In that fight Watt was not particularly giving his own view of the fight but was perhaps second guessing what the judges would score, given Valuev was the German based fighter in Germany, think he was more suggesting given how little action there was in most of the rounds Haye's strategy, such as it was, was more than a little risky as there were enough rounds close enough that were the judges inclined they could have given them to the champion without anyone having too many complaints.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

On that note, given that you clearly have an interest in cricket, you should pop across to the 606v2 cricket section from time to time! Some cracking debates there.

I'll give it a go, Fists. Once the next series against Pakistan gets going I'll try to pop on. Has Lescargo made the transistion from the old 606 onto the cricket boards? Whistle

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

rowley wrote:In that fight Watt was not particularly giving his own view of the fight but was perhaps second guessing what the judges would score, given Valuev was the German based fighter in Germany, think he was more suggesting given how little action there was in most of the rounds Haye's strategy, such as it was, was more than a little risky as there were enough rounds close enough that were the judges inclined they could have given them to the champion without anyone having too many complaints.

Bob Sheridan would've given a clearer view.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
rowley wrote:In that fight Watt was not particularly giving his own view of the fight but was perhaps second guessing what the judges would score, given Valuev was the German based fighter in Germany, think he was more suggesting given how little action there was in most of the rounds Haye's strategy, such as it was, was more than a little risky as there were enough rounds close enough that were the judges inclined they could have given them to the champion without anyone having too many complaints.

Bob Sheridan would've given a clearer view.

Laugh

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down