The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 future stars of test cricket in 2012

+8
msp83
Mike Selig
sirfredperry
dummy_half
Gregers
jbeadlesbigrighthand
skyeman
Fists of Fury
12 posters

Go down

11 future stars of test cricket in 2012 Empty 11 future stars of test cricket in 2012

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 am

If you were to create a test side of future players who are going to have a bright 2012 who would be in your side?

BASCIALLY PLAYERS WHO HAVE HARDLY PLAYED TEST CRICKET BUT YOU THINK HAVE A BIG FUTURE

this is mine:

1.David warner
2.Kraigg Brathwaite
3.Shaun Marsh
4.Dean Brownlie
5.Virat Kohli
6.Rohit Sharma
7.Tim Paine (wk)
8.James Pattinson
9.Steven finn
10.Nuwan Pradeep
11.Deavndre Bishoo

Back to top Go down

11 future stars of test cricket in 2012 Empty Re: 11 future stars of test cricket in 2012

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:32 am

Bracewell worth a shout based on his performance against Australia.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

11 future stars of test cricket in 2012 Empty Re: 11 future stars of test cricket in 2012

Post by skyeman Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:45 am

I predict a huge future for Cummins.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:53 am

Yeah, that's a glaring omission cf!

Real potential if he can stay injury free.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:36 am

To be honest, although Finn should make a great test bowler in the future, I'm not sure he will come through in 2012. At the moment he's 2nd reserve, so it would take two quicks breaking down for him to get in the side, and that's only if England don't use two spinners in the sub-continent.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:37 am

Agree with you there jbeadle, I think Tremlett is probably still ahead of him with the selectors, given that he was performing admirably prior to his injuries.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:38 am

Phillander....

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:39 am

Of those, I think Kohli is going to be the next megastar - OK, he didn't perform that well in England last summer, but he looks technically quite sound (wrt footwork) and has such quick hands that he should be able to work out a technique similar to Dravid's to combat a moving ball.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:57 am

I rate Kohli very highly, never fails to impress me when he bats.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:21 pm

maybe cummins instead of pradeep then, but apart from that i stand by the side i put out.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Do we include the Bravo guy in the Windies in this? And what about Cummins of Australia?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Ashwin is another, as one who wasn't sure he'd make a successful bowler at test level I'm interested to see how he goes against better sides.

Warner I'm not convinced about as yet. Brathwaite I haven't seen enough of.

Kohli and Sharma look the goods technically all right (unlike the awful Raina, as i've said for some time). Whether they can get their heads screwed on properly is the next test (no pun intended).

Marsh and Browlie, whilst less talented, seem to have the right mental attitude. Brownlie faces a barrage of short-pitched stuff, so will be interesting if he comes through that. Marsh has no obvious weakness that I can see.

Paine will be a good player. Not sure he'll be a star though.

Pattinson has the world at his feet if you ask me. I'd be very very surprised if he didn't become a very good player. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he turned out to be the next great fast bowler. More so than Cummins or Finn (who are both very impressive, but I don't know, I just see something extra-special in Pattinson - have done since he bowled on the 3rd evening at the Gabba).

Never heard of Pradeep (should I have?).

Bishoo looks a good prospect, but still a work in progress.

Other guys you haven't mentioned:
Philander I can see becoming very good indeed. not quite great, but certainly the notch below that.
Imran Tahir if he sorts out his running on the wicket could well be South Africa's best ever spinner.
I know CF doesn't rate him, but Khawaja has all the technical components. It's upto him now.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:39 pm

i said finn, as he is now ahead of tremlett in the pecking order IMO. He has all the attributes to be a class fast bowler.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Ashwin is another, as one who wasn't sure he'd make a successful bowler at test level I'm interested to see how he goes against better sides.

Warner I'm not convinced about as yet. Brathwaite I haven't seen enough of.

Kohli and Sharma look the goods technically all right (unlike the awful Raina, as i've said for some time). Whether they can get their heads screwed on properly is the next test (no pun intended).

Marsh and Browlie, whilst less talented, seem to have the right mental attitude. Brownlie faces a barrage of short-pitched stuff, so will be interesting if he comes through that. Marsh has no obvious weakness that I can see.

Paine will be a good player. Not sure he'll be a star though.

mike if raina could play the short ball then he would probably do ok in test cricket.
Pattinson has the world at his feet if you ask me. I'd be very very surprised if he didn't become a very good player. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he turned out to be the next great fast bowler. More so than Cummins or Finn (who are both very impressive, but I don't know, I just see something extra-special in Pattinson - have done since he bowled on the 3rd evening at the Gabba).

Never heard of Pradeep (should I have?).

Bishoo looks a good prospect, but still a work in progress.

Other guys you haven't mentioned:
Philander I can see becoming very good indeed. not quite great, but certainly the notch below that.
Imran Tahir if he sorts out his running on the wicket could well be South Africa's best ever spinner.
I know CF doesn't rate him, but Khawaja has all the technical components. It's upto him now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Is that quote meant to say "I agree with everything Mike says"? Wink

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:00 pm

made a mistake there..

i put if raina could play the short ball then he probably would do well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Not sure. He couldn't play Swann for toffee either. And come to mention it he didn't look particularly comfortable against the swinging ball... (people may get the impression I don't think he's very good)

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:06 pm

i dont think he is a test match batsman at all

i just think if he could play the short ball then it would be easier for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:08 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i dont think he is a test match batsman at all

i just think if he could play the short ball then it would be easier for him.

So do I. I also agree with PSW when he says that if you couldn't be out caught behind the wicket Hughes would be a very good player.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:09 pm

haha good point lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:06 am

Philander does look quite the part on helpful tracks. Would be interesting to see him in action on tracks that are more towards the flatter side.
I do hope Virat Kohli would find his feet in test cricket and would emerge as a test star.
Ravichandran Ashwin's another one, the Australia series should be a huge challenge for him.
Among the Australian ranks, Cummins and Pattinson are the obvious ones, and David Warner, if he manages to carve out a decent test career, won't really surprise me.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Philander's List A record is 265 wickets at 19.7, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had an exceptional Test career. His Test will be in India or Australia, where he doesn't get the movement he will do in SA or England next summer and we will see his claim as a real world class bowler then.

Rohit, Kohli, Pujara all have the technique for Test cricket but hopefully they can learn from Dravid/Tendulkar and learn how to play a Test innnings.

As for bowlers, I think Finn and Pattinson are the stand outs. Cummins has it all but depressingly I can see him having a stop/start career due to injuries. If he stays fit then he could be the best of the lot, but I don't see it.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:43 pm

1. Ajinkya Rahane - Might not get much of a go in Tests in 2012 but a phenomenal domestic record and a good temperament shown in ODIs
2. David Warner - Has shown real commitment in turning himself from somebody who couldn't get in the ODI side to somebody who could succeed in Tests
3. Shaun Marsh - Test cricket has come at a time when his game is in a good place and flaws have been worked on in first-class cricket
4. Nasir Hossain - Young Bangladeshi talent who scored 100 against Pakistan in a one-dayer. Looks like he could be a good player
5. Virat Kohli - A top performer to whom Test cricket should be no real issue
6. Kirk Edwards - A difficult start in international cricket but really starting to come through. Bravo has played enough Tests not to qualify for this list
7. Jonny Bairstow - Highly unlikely to keep in Tests but lack of young keepers means I have to pick him here
8. Ravichandran Ashwin - Very good player and has proven himself to be more than a one-day spinner. Look forward to seeing how he does against Australia
9. Vernon Philander - A great start in Test cricket
10. James Pattinson - Not as good as Cummins in my opinion but can't argue with his first two Tests
11. Pat Cummins - Really impressed with the way he not only bowled some great spells to legends such as Jacques Kallis but at times led the attack on Test debut

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
7. Jonny Bairstow - Highly unlikely to keep in Tests but lack of young keepers means I have to pick him here

Shelsey,

Firstly, welcome to the Cricket Board from me.

You clearly know the current scene well. What's your take on Jos Butler? My view of him appears similar to yours of Bairstow. Even if he gets further opportunities behind the stumps, I'm not convinced Butler would ever be more than a fill in keeper. However, from the little I've seen, I would say he's already shown a good cricket brain and great ability with the bat, probably even more than Bairstow.

Best, Guildford

PS I have the impression you're a bit more supportive of upcoming youngsters of today than experienced professionals of yesteryear. Sure that's my mistake! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:28 pm

[quote="guildfordbat"]
Shelsey93 wrote:

What's your take on Jos Butler? My view of him appears similar to yours of Bairstow. Even if he gets further opportunities behind the stumps, I'm not convinced Butler would ever be more than a fill in keeper. However, from the little I've seen, I would say he's already shown a good cricket brain and great ability with the bat, probably even more than Bairstow.

I really like the look of Buttler - a bit of a shame that he's played a few games for England without getting a bat. He's kept in a couple of televised matches and looked quite good actually although I think he'll struggle to be an international keeper when Kieswetter still gets the gloves for Somerset when both are playing. As a batsman he looks like someone who can score the big runs in the closing overs of the innings (in one-dayers) that English players traditionally aren't so good at doing, so he will be a great asset to the team in my opinion. He also already has a knack of doing well in big matches or when the rest of the batsman have failed - surely another real positive sign.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks, Shelsey. We're very much as one on Buttler. thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
10. James Pattinson - Not as good as Cummins in my opinion but can't argue with his first two Tests
11. Pat Cummins - Really impressed with the way he not only bowled some great spells to legends such as Jacques Kallis but at times led the attack on Test debut

I'm genuinely interested: why do you rate Cummins higher than Pattinson?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:

I'm genuinely interested: why do you rate Cummins higher than Pattinson?

To me Pattinson is more of a strong, aggressive fast bowler - probably a slightly quicker version of Peter Siddle. Therefore, I think that in less helpful conditions than Brisbane or Hobart or where he doesn't get things quite right he will go round the park, much like many Aussie bowlers of recent years like Siddle and Bollinger have.

I think Cummins still needs to grow into his body at age 18 (Pattinson is 21) but is already bowling at 92/93 mph and swinging it around. I think that the qualities he showed in that one Test against SA were of somebody who could be a real superstar in the future - leading the attack, big spells when batsmen were looking dangerous. The major issue for him will be injuries in my opinion.

I also think that Cummins bowled and won Man of the Match against a much stronger batting line-up than Pattinson did. NZ may have drawn the series but I'd much rather be bowling at McCullum, Guptill, Ryder, Taylor, Williamson, Brownlie and Reece Young than Smith, Rudolph, Amla, Kallis, de Villiers, Prince and Boucher.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:26 pm

You're right about the respective strengths of the sides. I don't know what it is exactly I see in Pattinson, but he does swing the ball, and can bowl back of a length (so shouldn't go around the park in non-helpful conditions). My gut feeling is he may, just may, be the next superstar with the ball.

Cummins excites me, but not quite as much.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Philander and Pattinson have both been most impressive. The only reason I am not going overboard on either yet is that they have each had their successes in fairly helpful conditions against , shall we say , "limited" opposing batting lineups.
Will be interesting to see how they go on flatter wickets and against more settled and stronger opponents. But I suspect they will both do OK on what I've seen so far.

Cummins is certainly exciting enough - and his first Test wicket haul was arguably more meritorious in terms of victims. My fear with him relates to durability. I think he'll need time and careful handling or it could be an entertaining but brief career.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:17 pm

i will admit that i should have put cummins in for pradeep, however i stand by the rest of the side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down