The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Find S_R a course (edinburgh golfing scene)

+13
JAS
ralphjohn69
Lairdy
ScottieD18
Doon the Water
puligny
Nay
Redrage
George1507
super_realist
raycastleunited
Gareth_NI
McLaren
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Find S_R a course (edinburgh golfing scene) - Page 2 Empty Find S_R a course (edinburgh golfing scene)

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

To stop us buning up navy’s thread here is the place to post thoughts on Edinburgh golf and where S_R should join.

What i would have posted.

“Carrick Knowe isn't great but if all you need is a place to practice midweek it could do the trick. I would guess in later evening traffic you could get to the braids in about 20-25 mins, maybe quicker.

The issue I have with paying for membership at the “better” Edinburgh courses is that a lot of them are not really that good in terms of the course for the fee charged. The better ones like bruntsfield links and royal burgess are a bit of trek from my side of town. I know ban plays at duddingston which is ok, not sure what the membership fee is there these days.”
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Find S_R a course (edinburgh golfing scene) - Page 2 Empty Re: Find S_R a course (edinburgh golfing scene)

Post by Doon the Water Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:49 pm

Shotrock
I played my first Pro event there in 1964 as a 9 stone fresh faced little 16 year old.
I didn't do too well only made worse by my 50 year old uncle winning the event!

Despite this it is a good course and club.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Find S_R a course (edinburgh golfing scene) - Page 2 Empty Re: Find S_R a course (edinburgh golfing scene)

Post by George1507 Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

You missed Aberlady and Dirleton.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 14 Dec 2011, 7:31 pm

Doon - Thanks for the response -- have a standing invite to play there and look forward to doing it someday.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Dec 2011, 7:58 pm

George

The courses in aberlady are craigielaw and Kilspindie, not sure if there is a third called aberlady. I certainly haven't heard of it. I think Dirlton is archerfield?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed 14 Dec 2011, 8:04 pm

Shotrock ... I used to be a member of Ratho Park ... about 30 years ago, if that's any help. Laugh

Quite surprised that Ratho Park usually doesn't get a mention when this particular subject arises. It's quite a pretty course and you definitely get the feeling when playing it that you're out in the country even though it's just 20-25 minute drive from the city centre.

Has quite an infamous neighbour though ... RBS HQ!!!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Wed 14 Dec 2011, 9:07 pm

Doon The Water

You are right about Gifford. Greens are excellent there - very fast. Can get a bit breezy and becomes quite a test ....

goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:12 pm

There is an Aberlady Club who play on Kilspindie and a Dirleton Castle Club who play on Gullane.
Dirleton Castle preceed Gullane Golf Club by about 20 years.
Lord Derby presented a cup to be played between the two clubs which is basically the annual 100 players a side pizz up.'Ale'

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Dec 2011, 2:05 pm

Super

I know little of Kingsknowe and I have never played it. I once enquired about membership a year or two ago so will try and dig out their reply later. I don’t think it was cheap and there was a waiting list but things might have changed.

I would say that although you are not keen on carrick knowe, but if you consider that you can also play all the other Edinburgh leisure courses the extra £700 or so it will cost you to join one of the private clubs may not be worth it. I don’t know your financial situation but are you not already a member of two clubs in fife? If your third club was another £1000 for the worst course would it be worth it?

I really don’t think any of the bog standard parkland courses in the city are any better than the Edinburgh leisure offerings. Royal Burges and Bruntsfield links are a bit better but also pricey and with longer waiting lists.

For these reasons I am biding my time with the Edinburgh leisure ticket until joining and east Lothian links course becomes for feasible. I might have to make a few friends out that way.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

I think having a third club would probably be too much for me Mac, I couldn't justify it really, unless there was a staggeringly good deal, but holding out for one of those in Edinburgh is a bit of a tall order, was kind of hoping that the dilution of courses in Edinburgh might have helped one of the better clubs fall into a more reasonable price range but it doesn't look like it.

I'll probably just sneak on Carrick Knowe after work in the summer and chip/putt around one of the greens.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Dec 2011, 2:16 pm

I cant quite remember but if you were to play a round with me (a season ticket holder) on the braids it would cost less than £20.

There are many pay monthly offers from Edinburg leisure golf so it would be worth giving them a ring.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Tue 20 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

McLaren wrote:I cant quite remember but if you were to play a round with me (a season ticket holder) on the braids it would cost less than £20.

There are many pay monthly offers from Edinburg leisure golf so it would be worth giving them a ring.

You can play any of the Edinburgh Leisure courses (without a member) for circa £20 at any time, you get discount (50%) playing with a member at any time during the week, at weekends I'm pretty sure you only get discount after 14:00/15:00.

They usually offer a Winter Ticket from 1st October > 31st March for £100 which is extremely good value.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 20 Dec 2011, 4:35 pm

McLaren wrote:

For these reasons I am biding my time with the Edinburgh leisure ticket until joining and east Lothian links course becomes for feasible. I might have to make a few friends out that way.

I think Craigielaw is quite reasonable at £850, 2 courses and excellent facilities... I have my eye on this if I need to move to the Lothians.
http://www.craigielawgolfclub.com/downloads/Membership_Pack-2011.pdf

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:58 am

Redrage wrote:I think Craigielaw is quite reasonable at £850, 2 courses and excellent facilities... I have my eye on this if I need to move to the Lothians.
http://www.craigielawgolfclub.com/downloads/Membership_Pack-2011.pdf

Redrage - have you ever played Craigielaw? I've not played it yet, but it has surprised me that everyone I know who has, gives it a very negative report. One guy from our group joined there last year and he actually gave up his membership after a couple of months and came back to Duddingston. The general concensus seems to be that the greens are impossible (upturned saucers), and the place doesn't have enough of a links feel (built on farmed land), though looking across the ropes from Kilspindie it looked interesting enough to my eye (shame about the hideous villa's they've built around the outskirts - why do all developers lack any kind of imagination?!!). I'd be interested to hear of any positive reports if you or any others have played it - I'm guessing mac has?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

Some friends of mine have played it and agree with your summary. I have had lunch there a few times and the place desperately lacks a club 'atmosphere'.

Much better to join Kilspindie.

Longniddry has always been one of my favourite courses but I would imagine there is a long membership waiting list.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

Craigielaw is home of the Saltman pikeys.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:16 am

I have not played craigielaw, it would be a wasted trip to play there instead of Kilspindie. Although I have been to the range at creigielaw and had a wander around a few of the holes, and having done so can confirm it is not a links course. It may be near the sea and made to look like a links but the soil is not that of a links course. I am also slightly confused why it mentions having two courses in the membership info as it only has one course?

I am glad Longniddry has been mentioned as it is also a fine course, but not a links. This does not matter as unlike craigielaw it has never pretended to be a links despite a few of the holes being laid over links land. Over the years both HS colt and James braid have contributed to the design of the course and it really is a joy to play. For anyone thinking of an east Lothian membership Longniddry would have to be above craigielaw in preference.

Super, did you read the metro this morning as it seems the penguins have been throwing shit on people queuing to see the panda’s?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

I really can't see the interest in those bloody panda's. I'd rather see the Penguins anyday.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

McLaren wrote:I have not played craigielaw, it would be a wasted trip to play there instead of Kilspindie.

Talking of which, got another invite down there tomorrow... Yahoo

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:36 am

super_realist wrote:Craigielaw is home of the Saltman pikeys.

Though ES makes a solitary appearance on the list of Club Champs at Kilspindie also. vomit

Not as impressive as the guy who has won it 20 times in the last 40 years though! Shocked

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:44 am

Ban Bam
I that might have been my old mate Bob Humble

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:27 am

Doon - it definitely is.

An impressive feat, running from 1971 to 2011 (and counting!).

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:30 am

He has won in every decade since the 70's!!

Doon,

have you ever won a club championship?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 1:05 pm

Lost in the final once at the 36th. I was never down until the final putt which lipped out. We were both a couple of shots over par, fantastic game [match play]. For the oldies the guy who beat me was Norman Quigley's nephew.

Twice finished 3rd in stroke play.

Bob and I were old schoolboy rivals/friends. Many a great game we had [but I could always beat him!!]

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:24 pm

Banbam

You mean to tell me Bob won the Kilspindie Club Championship this year...WOW, he must be 63 years old now. Just as well I'm not playing against him now.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:29 pm

Doesn't look like there is much competition for him (or anyone) at Kilspindie, not a single scratch player and only a handful of category one.
Might join and give him a run for his money.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed 21 Dec 2011, 4:56 pm

ban_bam wrote:
Redrage - have you ever played Craigielaw? I've not played it yet, but it has surprised me that everyone I know who has, gives it a very negative report.

I haven't a friend of mine is a member but I have yet to take him up on the offer of a game. I have heard the greens are very tough though. I don't really care if the soil isn't true links as long as it drains as well as a links. I have heard the same things about the Castle course and everyone I know who has played it really enjoys it.

How does Duddingston dry out/play in the winter? Same goes for Turnhouse if anyone has played there a few times?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:03 pm

Redrage wrote:
ban_bam wrote:
Redrage - have you ever played Craigielaw? I've not played it yet, but it has surprised me that everyone I know who has, gives it a very negative report.

I haven't a friend of mine is a member but I have yet to take him up on the offer of a game. I have heard the greens are very tough though. I don't really care if the soil isn't true links as long as it drains as well as a links. I have heard the same things about the Castle course and everyone I know who has played it really enjoys it.

How does Duddingston dry out/play in the winter? Same goes for Turnhouse if anyone has played there a few times?

Duddingston can be extremely wet and muddy in the winter. To be honest it's not been too bad this year (so far), as it's stayed generally quite dry, with the odd exception since the cold arrived. That said, its also been a relitively mild winter so far. The worst conditions i've seen the course in were the days after the two 1-day snow fall's we've had. The snow melted the next day and it was rubbish for another day after. Compare it to my trips out to Kilspindie and it falls waaaay short - links golf beats parkland by a fricking mile in the winter!
I don't think the guys I know were bothered with the condition of Craigielaw - I think they were a little annoyed that it was marketed as 'links' when it wasn't really. The unplayable greens seemed to be the major issue - though I think most of them are quite inexperiened with links [style!] golf. I'll keep an open mind and will be interested to hear what you think when you get that game, as it will probably make a difference to your enjoyment if you're playing with an 'enthusiast'! (will have a closer look tomorrow too from across the white stakes)

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:05 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Banbam

You mean to tell me Bob won the Kilspindie Club Championship this year...WOW, he must be 63 years old now. Just as well I'm not playing against him now.

i think so! i'll have a closer look at the board over my haggis and mash panini tomorrow around 12.30 Very Happy

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:06 pm

super_realist wrote:Doesn't look like there is much competition for him (or anyone) at Kilspindie, not a single scratch player and only a handful of category one.
Might join and give him a run for his money.

you'd rip it up super, its very short and with your short game you'd make a lot of birdies.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2