The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golfing Pet Hates

+23
Nay
Diggers
offthehosel
Doon the Water
Rangiora
kwinigolfer
SmithersJones
tarka
oldparwin
Mercurio
Yadsendew
MustPuttBetter
Desperado
dr_peeps
beninho
navyblueshorts
sharrison01
super_realist
McLaren
Doc
drive4show
Bagman
Maverick
27 posters

Go down

Golfing Pet Hates Empty Golfing Pet Hates

Post by Maverick Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:00 pm

Back in the day or the Ark and old 606 I opened up my forum days with a what are your golfing pet hates thread. As i'm feeling nostalgic today I thought i'd revisit this one.

What i'm asking is what are your golfing pet hates they can be anything you like just as long as it that something that annoys you about the game or those that play or run the game. We'll get the obvious slow play but elaborate what specifically that annoys... I'll start with 2 of my pet peev's.

1. Old dodgers or even young guns that use stupid terminology that they themselves laugh at e.g. Never up never in, you knocked the skin off that! or personal hate I whiffed that one!!!

2. Rule dodgers or should I say the people who have rules that apply only to them and there 4ball. The ones where they get relief from everything or get prefered lies etc. I'm not talking about cheats thats a whole other thing i'm on about the guys that don't even know their breaking a rule because it's what they've always done and been shown to do.....

Over to you guys/gals

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Golfing Pet Hates Empty Re: Golfing Pet Hates

Post by Bagman Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:06 pm

People who pull trolleys that are designed to be pulled,whenever I see a 2 ball where 1 person is in a buggy and the other person is walking.I remember seeing a four ball where everyone was in a different buggy

Bagman

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Lack of consideration for other players, covers a multitude of sins!

Don't mind slow players as long as they call through, unrepaired pitch marks, taking huge divots on par 3 tees and not filling in from the sand/mix box, dropping litter on the course (or anywhere for that matter), guys waiting 5 mins for the green to clear 300 yards ahead when they've only managed to hit a drive 180 yards.

I could go on and on but you get my drift. Basically, it's silly things by the minority that spoil the fun for the majority.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Mav thumbsup Rule Dodgers is a belter and I detest it. Club comps/medals where the usual 3 or 4-ball tee up together and decide to play their own rules. You know it goes on and thats why all club comps should be drawn out of the hat. I've witnessed players climbing over fences when OB and just dropping it back into play. I've seen plenty of groups have the odd nightmare but somehow they seem to be scoring well. I've seen some gimees, and plenty of handicap engineering.

Another one for me is the way some people who have called me and my partner through before, but because on this occasion they see me playing with Mrs Doc .... we don't get called through. Mrs Doc is probably a better player than some of these inconsiderate jokers, but the stigma attached to allowing a lady through must be aweful.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Dogs on the course.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:19 pm

I hate golfing cliches such as "I don't go that far on my holidays" but words like "trap" or "track" really annoy me.

However the worst is the word "Shot" expressed as "shhhhaaaat" in a ghastly american twang by British players.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Juniors that have been watching too much golf on TV and think that to play like a pro you have to be on the course for over 5 hours a round.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Mac, are back to identifying the best looking lady golfers again Cool

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:37 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Juniors that have been watching too much golf on TV and think that to play like a pro you have to be on the course for over 5 hours a round.

In fact, anyone behaving like that and it isn't restricted to juniors mad.

Not raking bunkers, replacing divots, repairing pitchmarks or calling through when appropriate are my hates. Oh, and using a mobile on the course for making/taking calls.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:39 pm

People that take the game to seriously. Spend ages searching for a ball or pacing out yards or lining (sp?) up a putt or throwing grass in the air. I dont ever play competitions so only play for fun, on courses that are open to the general public. So why cant people just play the game for fun.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Someone leaving the flag directly behind the hole when your putting or indeed standing behind the hole on line with your putt.

Always laugh at people that take great care not to step on your line when marking their ball , then somehow lose sense of place and trample all over it whilst backing away.

A spineless golf club that does nothing about complaints because they don't want to upset anyone. !!

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 pm

It's a bit irritating how precious people are about the line of their putts, especially on rock hard links courses. An elephant could walk by and not leave a dent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Desperado Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 pm

People ambling about and not being ready to play when it's their turn whether not selecting a club or not having a look at their putt etc.

Generally inconsiderate behaviour as outlined above

Desperado

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:02 pm

super_realist wrote:It's a bit irritating how precious people are about the line of their putts, especially on rock hard links courses. An elephant could walk by and not leave a dent.

Completely agree. Can't remember the last time I heard some proper spikes chattering around the car park. Soft spikes do their job exceptionally well enough...

Another thing that does annoy me, and this doesn't just apply to the golf course, is people that get annoyed by things that others do that have no bearing on them. Some of the suggestions on here do make me wonder how people get through their days without boiling over?!?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Earlier in the week i played a round behind a 2 ball. I was in a 2 ball. Every hole they would play their approaches to the green and both walk up. The first would mark his ball and his friend would help him line up the putt. After his shot, they'd both walk over to the other ball, mark it, line it up and so on.
I'd never considered ths before but it is my new pet hate! Not sure i'll see it again though!!

This went on for the first 5 holes with us waiting patiently to be called through but nothing. In the end i have to confess for the next 3 holes i resorted to hitting my drives when these chaps were on the cusp of my limit distance wise so they were rolling up and coming to a stop only a few yards from them. In the end they let us through. Nightmare!!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Bagman wrote:People who pull trolleys that are designed to be pulled

A bit harsh there Bagman or have I missed something? Wink

People say good putt when it's rolling to within about 6 inch's of the hole and then it sails on by.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:37 pm

I think the thread is pushing me in the direction of not saying anything after shots or putts.

I would far prefer not to say anything because I focus better without distractions and could quite happily not say anything until the end of the round . . .

but, one doesn't want to be thought of as cold, uninterested or aloof.

Having said that, I've noticed when I play with better players they talk less and there's probably something in that. It's a tough-one but I reckon I can manage it without coming across as a Kumquat.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagman Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Yadsendew wrote:

People say good putt when it's rolling to within about 6 inch's of the hole and then it sails on by.

Sorry meant to say when people pull trolleys that are meant to be pushed. Doh

Bagman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:45 pm

At my course, the ones who hit bad tee shots near the trees, then claim animal dropping or scratchings in order to improve their lie

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Bagman wrote:
Yadsendew wrote:

This is a great example of my pet hate, mentioned earlier, of people getting annoyed by others doing something irrelevant to them. If someone chooses to put their bag on a trolley and then put the whole thing over their shoulder, as long as they don't hold anyone up, I don't see how this can be annoying?!?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Mercurio wrote:I think the thread is pushing me in the direction of not saying anything after shots or putts.

I would far prefer not to say anything because I focus better without distractions and could quite happily not say anything until the end of the round . . .

Having said that, I've noticed when I play with better players they talk less and there's probably something in that. It's a tough-one but I reckon I can manage it without coming across as a Kumquat.

This reminds me of a couple of years ago, I was playing in a 36 hole open with a couple of brothers who were both off +1. One of them had the father caddying. Neither of them spoke to each other the whole way round, the father didn't speak to the one he wasn't carrying for, all 3 of them barely said a word to me. Fortunately I had my girlfriend walking round with me. Suited me though, sometimes when you're trying to concentrate, too much small talk can be a distraction.

One of the most bizarre days I've ever had on a golf course.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 pm

sharrison01 wrote:

This is a great example of my pet hate, mentioned earlier, of people getting annoyed by others doing something irrelevant to them. If someone chooses to put their bag on a trolley and then put the whole thing over their shoulder, as long as they don't hold anyone up, I don't see how this can be annoying?!?

I use to carry a bag for many years before changing to a power caddy - Anyways, shortly after converting to the trolley I managed to actually do this during a senior moment, in fact I did it more than once in one round - clubs, wheels bag and me all over the place.....felt and looked a complete plonker my partners showed great sympathy and urinated themselves. Well I suppose thay are getting on arn't they Whistle

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:20 pm

drive4show wrote:
Mercurio wrote:I think the thread is pushing me in the direction of not saying anything after shots or putts.

This reminds me of a couple of years ago, I was playing in a 36 hole open with a couple of brothers who were both off +1. One of them had the father caddying. Neither of them spoke to each other the whole way round, the father didn't speak to the one he wasn't carrying for, all 3 of them barely said a word to me. Fortunately I had my girlfriend walking round with me. Suited me though, sometimes when you're trying to concentrate, too much small talk can be a distraction.

One of the most bizarre days I've ever had on a golf course.

Similar situation ended my golfing aspirations. Played in a comp at Woburn with a low handicap limit and the guys I was playing with were +1 and +2. Neither of them hardly said a word and if they did it was all about golf. Made me think that if I've got to be like these guys to get better then I'm more than happy to just enjoy my social golf and play the odd "less serious" comp...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:49 pm

sharrison01 wrote:
Bagman wrote:
Yadsendew wrote:

This is why it's a pet hate and not something that would warrant jabbing them in the throat or setting fire to their house or even killing their beloved family pet

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:50 pm

People who say 'one' when the ball falls off the tee peg.
Unraked bunkers. I mean, how frickin hard can it be?
Playing in a fourball, twoball catches us up. Me:'Shall we let them through?' Annoying response: 'There's nowhere for them to go, there's a 3/4 ball infront of us.' Doh Like they can't also let them through!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:39 am

I agree with all drive4show's post.

But I also can't stand some TV commentators:
Bobby Clampett, most boring man in golf.
Mark Rolfing, college teammate of Dan Quayle, which says it all.
Ian Baker Finch, at those events which CBS understaffs, thinks he has to compensate both in word volume and hyperbole.
The late Tom Weiskopf, He hasn't died yet, he just sounds like he has.
Kelly Tilghman, Lovely face which only partly compensates for her syruppy version of Bobby Clampett monotone. Inarticulate and probably illiterate.
Mike Tirico, Was terrible when he was a college intern thirty years ago on our local station and has deteriorated steadily, physically and apparently mentally, ever since. The most self-inflated oaf on American TV.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:18 am

kwinigolfer wrote:The late Tom Weiskopf, He hasn't died yet, he just sounds like he has.

Brilliant kwini, one of the best posts yet on 606v2

Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:33 am

Metal spike wearers who cant pick their feet up on greens

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Bagman
You must be a sensitive soul to be worried about whether golfers push or pull a trolly.
I have a push trolley which in the odd senior moment I have been known to pull, so what!
My pet hate is playing with sensitive souls who are so worked up about what others are doing on the course that they take no enjoyment from the game.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagman Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:20 am

Doon the Water wrote:Bagman
You must be a sensitive soul to be worried about whether golfers push or pull a trolly.
I have a push trolley which in the odd senior moment I have been known to pull, so what!
My pet hate is playing with sensitive souls who are so worked up about what others are doing on the course that they take no enjoyment from the game.

I do enjoy the game immensely it's just the odd time I do see someone I usually mutter to myself along the lines of f*****g I***t.I don't lose any sleep over it it's just a small "pet hate".another one is when my playing partner will finish putting and then wait for me on the next tee.

Bagman

Back to top Go down

Post by offthehosel Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:09 am

im with you bagman

push the bloody thing!!!!!!

but the thing that gets me real peed is someone who demands silence when they play...you know the type...the guy who hears the grass grow and seems to get distracted more than any other member of the club.....but makes as much noise on the course as anyone else.

also when you are over a shot and you can hear someones clubs clicking together and you cant help focusing on the noise....and you have to turn round and check whether the guy is actually carrying his clubs or is he juggling them !!

offthehosel

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:02 pm

My pet hate is people taking themselves far too seriously on the course.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:40 pm

Another pet hate is someone who has a shortish putt(4ft roughly) checks the line of the putt from every angle, this take about 3/4 minutes then stands over it for another 2minutes pulls the putter back and pushes it wide and about 4ft past again steam steam steam

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Six minutes to hit a put.
I have been known to play holes in less than that.

Spookily I very much agree with Diggers
I think that is twice now.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:12 pm

When you let someone play through, they look at you and say oh the pressure is on, they smack one 250+ down the middle of the fairway, turn smile and say I never hit them that well.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:28 pm

When you duff it from the medal tee on the first and some smart ass turns round and asks if you know you are playing from the medal tee. Then fails to see the sweet spotted 3 iron you hit 200+ up the fairway to leave the chance of an up and down from about 50 yards.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Mac
Was that you at Kilspindie?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:55 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Six minutes to hit a put.
I have been known to play holes in less than that.

Oh c'mon. No one likes people dithering on the green, but have you really seen someone take 6 minutes for a putt? 60 seconds perhaps (and that would be borderline excessive)

My pet hate is people who exaggerate. I've said it a million times.....

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:38 pm

Kwini - let 'em have it!!!! Do you agree that Feherty has lost it - seems a bit too close to some and less irreverant than in his days describing Monty as like a bulldog licking p..s off a nettle!!
BTW - Kelly is lovely - I do hope she isn't gormless really!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi puligny,
Thing with Feherty is he likes to take the urine out of the GB&I guys but he won't dish it out to Americans (his countrymen(!)); if he'd stick to golf he'd be fine but seems to think he has to be funny every time he says something. Could learn a lot from Roger Maltbie, Peter Kostis and Andy North, all of whom are excellent, can be amusing but don't forget they have a golf audience . . . . .

Kelly probably would be lovely . . . . .!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:45 pm

I think I am enjoying my golf too much at the moment to think of any real pet hates Very Happy

'Suppose there is always the guy who tells you to put your bad shots out of mind but cant do it himself!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:52 am

Another pet hate. The guy who knows nothing about your swing yet after seeing a bad shot says keep your head down!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Quite a few years ago when I was nowhere near as talented as I am now ( Whistle ) I played with a guy that said 'Great shot' the moment I made contact with the ball every time. Half the time, they were wild hooks or slices into the dung but he was so quick off the mark he didn't have a chance to see where the ball was going.

Got a bit irritating after a few holes.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by davesrighthere Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:34 pm

Smokers who flick and leave their butt-ends around the tee area (or any other part of the course).

For me, if I've paid top-dollar (or any amount of well earned cash, for that matter) for a round, I'd like to see and enjoy the beauty in the (carefully manicured Smile ) natural surroundings. A dog-end laying around (especially, and mostly around the tee area) is an unnecessary blight in beautiful natural surroundings (however bad a course is deemed to be).

What's wrong with these guys, tidy up will you!!

/rant over

davesrighthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down