The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here

+24
SecretFly
rodders
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
pontylad
Time For Trumpton
Seagultaf
Red Right
mckay1402
boomeranga
gregortree
Gatts
Rava
offload
doctor_grey
aitchw
munkian
Smirnoffpriest
eirebilly
englandglory4ever
damage_13
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
westisbest
disneychilly
HERSH
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Wilko be made a Knight of the Realm?

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here Vote_lcap59%Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 19 ]
Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here Vote_lcap41%Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 32

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here Empty Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here

Post by HERSH Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:45 am

This is a feel good thread, so only leave positive thoughts and reflections on Wilkos career please.

He was a modern professional that boarded on the edge of being fanatical about the smallest detail, so much so that he would never settle for just being himself (a talented rugby player) he always wanted to improve his skills, something some of the modern players could do with learning.

Wilko will forever be remembered for the drop-goal (off his wrong foot) that brought England the World Cup in 2003, but he was so much more.

My favourite memory of him was watching him practice his kicking, the guy could hit the upright whilst kicking from the try line corner flag, at his best, he was the best distributor of the ball in the NH something that is often over looked because of his kicking skills, his tackling was also outstanding for a fly-half.

Wilkinson is an extraordinary man with an extraordinary talent, and English rugby is much the poorer without him but at least there was no farewell game to boost his ego on the international stage, instead he chose the right time to go without making a song and a dance (or forward roll) about it.
Whistle

Last edited by HERSH on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here Empty Re: Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here

Post by disneychilly Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:01 am

He was the best 10 in the world in his pomp-I saw him in the Wellington test give Spencer a kicking lesson. Spencer missed four and Wilko I remember hit one from 30 odd yards out that swerved two different directions and went straight over. Hell of a read.

Was also glad that he was there on the field when the torch was passed-again in Wellington for the Lions. He may not have enjoyed the game from a result point of view but I bet post game that he appreciated seeing probably the best test performance from a 10 in person. Always admired and respected wherever he went.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here Empty Re: Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here

Post by westisbest Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:06 am

Positive thoughts Hersh.

No need for the swipe at Shane(another great).

I'm not welsh btw.

Wilkinson great player and person to.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:17 am

Did I make a swipe at Shane? ? ? ?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

HERSH wrote: Shane? ? ? ?

Are you Ben Cohen?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

The forward roll comment, think that was about Shane Williams, no?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:13 am

Anyway.

His try versus NZ.

Or his offensive tackling, a brilliant technique with the right amount of aggression. Don't think he every high tackled anyone in his career.

Nor did he get yellow carded methinks.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

westisbest wrote:The forward roll comment, think that was about Shane Williams, no?

In your opinion, I didn't mention Shane. warning

stay on topic please Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here 3602195817
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:20 am

Wilko interview coming up on Talksport.

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:23 am

There would not be another 10 to match Wilko ever again if he had not had 4 years out of test rugby with serious injuries. A true great in every sense.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

I disagree with that EG4E but it's a thread about Wilko so won't debate it. He was the best 10 in the world in his pomp though.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

Without a doubt, in his pomp, he was by far and away the best 10 in the world. Never afraid to put his body on the line and make some big and very crucial hits. The biggest compliment i can pay him is that i have seen very few players play well when their team is on the back foot, he was one of them.

A great player and a gentleman off the field.

This was also a good article until i read the childish little dig at the end. Poor show Hersh.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:51 pm

It wouldn't be a Hersh article without a childish dig and slight wum though would it?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:55 pm

Why only positive comments ? This is a forum for debate is it not ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

I guess signing off your international career by missing a load of kicks then getting hauled off after 64 minutes isnt really call for doing a handstand.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

To be honest I'm not sure Wilko could do a handstand - but I'd like to see him try!

Seriously though a great player and an even better professional of the game (much as I want to say he was pants!).

I did vote no on the knighthood as I feel they're given out too easily - particularly to sports stars who have only done what they were tasked with doing (ie Wilko, in 2003 it would have been Englands aim to at least get to the WC final and he helped them do that and win) rather than doing something truely exceptional and awes-inspiring. Thats not to take anything away from Wilko or anyother sports stars - I mean what he's achieved in his career stands right up there with any other sports persons career. But when you compare it to sailing around the world through typhoons and 20ft seas, or climbing the highest peaks or defending your comrades in a warzone it pales slightly. I do think Parkes should get a knighthood for being the 1st ever human being to do the spectacular and climb all 7 highest peaks on each continent and reach the 3 poles (North, South and Everest) within 7 months.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote: I do think Parkes should get a knighthood for being the 1st ever human being to do the spectacular and climb all 7 highest peaks on each continent and reach the 3 poles (North, South and Everest) within 7 months.

Did he sommersault over the last one?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

He is the consummate sportsman. Dedicated to his task, generous of his time and talent and the best 10 of his age. His attitude on and off the field has done much to maintain the standards of our game and those attributes will be sorely missed on the international stage.

Whether he is deserving of a knighthood will be decided over the coming years, not now. It will depend on what he does in the future.

Thank you, Jonny for all you have achieved.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:43 pm

I agree Smirnoff, Knighthoods are given out far too easily. In general, I don't like the concept of a sports star or a music star or actor being Knighted. Certainly not a KBE.

However, if Jonny were to be so honoured, for me it would about his courage, strength, and grace in the face of all those injuries, his dedication and love of playing for his country, his work ethic, his winning mentality, and for being a great role model. After all that, then I can think about the drop goal.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:43 pm

A great player, a great professional (on and off the field). There is no doubt that he inspired a generation to adopt the sport. One of the best 10's of all time. I also like the fact that he has bowed out without the song and dance.......anyway his teammates have done enough of that lately. Wink

Good luck Mr. Wilkinson.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

Not now, but later, after he's bedded in coaching and has done charity work and further pushed the cause and raised the standard for Rugby Union

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 13 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

I think the way he conducted himself on and off the pitch was a credit to him and something some of the newer brigade should use as a model.

The way he came back from injury time and again was amazing. Was there ever a more ferocious tackler in his position on the international stage? I doubt it.

There's no way he should get a knighthood. They should be given to people who risk their lives to ensure we are safe in our beds at night.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 13 Dec 2011, 6:53 pm

OP can't dictate what gets posted

Rightly he is basking in retirement plaudits but,

Knighted?...no way.

He was a great kicker in the past

He was a great example and ambassador but mentally he was too obsessed and accepts that now

Defensively a great tackler, no doubt

He was made to look a lot better by the team he played in

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:44 pm

Wilko : great man enough said.

Celebrations and Awards:
Ok How does Hersh celebrate his WUM bites ?
And should Hersh get a gong for his great work on 606 ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:18 pm

Jonny would be one of the very few rugby players most Aussies would recognize on sight. Hugely respected here regardless of the pain he delivered in 2003.

Last edited by boomeranga on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:24 pm

my favourite memory of Jonny isn't one he would want to remember so I won't post it. Great player in his day and by a million miles the best OH England have ever produced.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:25 pm

Definitely not knighted. maybe given the freedom of Newcastle or something...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:31 pm

He is a legend of the modern game and a genuinely nice guy by all accounts - probably most recognised for being a good place & tactical kicker, for me his most outstanding attribute was his defence. If he was playing the 9-10 channel was one you targeted at your peril. He tackled like a back row forward which probably hurt his career long term.
His points tally is astounding given that he pretty much lost a 4 year block due to injuries between 03 and 07. I think this period did hurt his development, by the time he got back a lot of the top outhalves were mercurial talents more likely to dominate games out of hand than from the boot (Carter, Michelak etc).
Had he not had that injury period I think he would have developed a lot more attacking wise - he missed nearly all of his early-mid 20's which is when most players really develop extra dimensions in their game.

Got to try and find the quote somewhere but I remember O'Gara saying that Wilkinson's attitude to training was a real eye opener to how a pro should prepare during the 05 Lions tour.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 14 Dec 2011, 12:34 am

Rava wrote:There's no way he should get a knighthood. They should be given to people who risk their lives to ensure we are safe in our beds at night.
A number of years ago, when I was doing a forward medical assignment in Iraq, one of my mates who did actual fighting was nominated for Honours. Two days before he was to fly home, he was seriously injured and didn't make it back. To say I agree with you is an understatement.

Despite that, I wish Jonny every possible honour appropriate for his excellence, drive, professionalism, courage, and dedication to country.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

His more deserving of one than Chris Hoy.

by munkian Yesterday at 12:55 pm
Why only positive comments ? This is a forum for debate is it not ?

That’s is true my friend but there are other threads for people to leave their negative feelings, many of which were started by our friends across the Afon Hafren. Roll on the 25th Feb.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

Unlike your blatent attempt to slag off a Welsh hero's retirement ? Rolling Eyes

You should play 9 in the 606 team Hersh because you are an annoying little gobshite
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:39 am

Calm down Munk, I'm not getting to you am I?

Lets set things straight I didn't mention Shane Williams, others assumed I did, I just said at least Wilko didn't make a song and dance about it, it wasn't premeditated and IMO there is more honour in doing it that way rather than trying to set/increase records he already has.

Cheer up it's Christmas Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here 3602195817
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:44 am

His last game was rubbish Hersh, there wasn't anything to sing or dance about.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:48 am

In his day a fantastic goal kicker and outstanding in defence, he played behind one of the best packs ever, in the professional era.

He was not however in the same class as Carter, Larcombe, Fox, Mertens etc. Remember his claim to fame was playing 10 in a World Cup winning side, but it was Mike Catt who held his hand through that tournament.

Great player for England, his kicking won many games, but world best 10, sorry no.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

On his day he was.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:50 am

And Shane cost Wales a win against Aus, his defence was like a teenagers.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Time For Trumpton Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:58 am

Why have you turned your own article into a Shane Williams bashing thread?

Time For Trumpton

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:07 am

Well to the original question the answer should be not before his World Cup captain , I'd have no objection to his eventual induction in the Rugby Union Hall of fame though once he's finished playing altogether.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

Enough of the bickering already folks, you're sounding like my 5yo nieces.

For what it's worth, IMO JW was a model professional with a superb work ethic that made him into the flyhalf England needed in 2003. He may have lacked the tactical vision of Mehrtens or Carter, and the spark of Spencer/Larkham, but he added solidity. And he was certainly the best defensive flyhalf of his time.

Carter stands out as the best flyhalf of the modern era because of his all round skills. 2nd best defensively after JW. Second best tactical kicker and passer after Mehrtens. A good running game if not quite as magical as Larkham. And up there with JW and Mehrts as a reliable goal kicker, if not quite in Steyn territory.

Williams will go down as a Welsh legend because he was the bright light in some sometimes average sides. He made the most of his natural speed and agility, and punched above his weight on defence. He might not have gotten as many caps had he been a New Zealander (he'd have gone into the wing mix with Howlett, Rokocoko, Sivivatu et al) but he'd still have made people sit up and notice in any team.

And it wasn't Shane who lost the Aust match - the whole Welsh team was shaded on the day.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
And it wasn't Shane who lost the Aust match - the whole Welsh team was shaded on the day.

Is that the swear filter in operation again?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

Wilkinson was a great player and model pro. Second in the all time international points scored and a RWC winners medal proves that. He is one of the best goal kickers the game as ever seen.

However it does no justice to his legacy to exaggerate or embellish certain skills that he didn't have. 6 Tries in 80 odd tests is a very poor return and shows his limitations with the ball in hand. Defensively he was phenomenal early in his career, maybe the best tacklng 10 the game has seen but post 2004 he missed a lot of tackles, particularly head on.

That said Wilkinson is deservedly an icon of the game and one of the best fly halves of his generation. My abiding memories are of his drop goal which won the RWC and that huge hit on Ntemack but also of Carter running rings around him in 2005. He had his ups and downs and he certainly had his limitations as a player but throughout his career he has always shown immense character, commitment and courage. In fact he was probably too brave for his own good and if he'd managed his body a bit better in the early days he may still be the player he was in his early 20's.

To answer the op though I believe he will be knighted but not just yet.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:45 am

His try against NZ was pretty special, although I'm sure some would say he was going for a drop-goal and it went wrong Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_mLbOP2oTA

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:55 am

I don't care about his records or his drop goals (there are plenty here who have and will take all that stats stuff into consideration...and aren't they the very reasons why he will be remembered as a Great?)

Well no, not for me Yes, he was clinically good at what he did but it was his demeanor that always impressed me. Quiet, well grounded, prepared to admit failings, trained hard enough so that chance was almost taken out of the equation completely (indeed, you could argue that his attention to detail is what undid him at this World Cup; the shock he got that the ball wasn't going where he had targetted it to go probably unsettled him more than most. He was absolutely certain it wasn't his aim, so kept aiming and aiming, almost fighting the wishes of the wayward ball).

Anyway, it is Wilkinson the person I admire, the guy who suffered serious injury after injury and still managed to come back as quietly as before, do a few more years of not so bad work and then call it a day, away from the fanfare of International season.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:58 am

As I said. I never mentioned Shane to start with. Wilkinson, A True Legend of the Game - feel free to leave your greatest memories here 3513163098
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

Truly one of the most professional and humble sportsman there has been in any sport fullstop. The way that he approaches everything from training to the media and fans is fully professional. He is a great role model for any young aspiring sports person and he shows exactly what you can achieve with hard work and dedication.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the fact that he became fluent in French quickly and was able to converse well with the media has, along with his professionalism and dedication, a lot to do with him gaining respect in France.

There are plenty (in rugby and other sports) who go out to play in another country and come back not having bothered learning anything of the language and culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:30 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:There are plenty (in rugby and other sports) who go out to play in another country and come back not having bothered learning anything of the language and culture.

Probably best if Cipriani doesnt come back from Aus with any of that

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

Yes, well I'm more than a little annoyed with Nacewa that he never picked up the cúpla focal ...or for that matter Howlitt...not to mention Hayes, O'Connell, Darcy, O'Driscoll and all the rest of them disrespectful Bastúni !

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

Has Ben Morgan learnt Welsh yet?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:55 pm

How about that English gent Mr North?

Sorry can we stay on topic please! warning
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next