The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why No Love For Rare British Tennis Talent?

+5
JuliusHMarx
djlovesyou
laverfan
bogbrush
hawkeye
9 posters

Go down

Why No Love For Rare British Tennis Talent? Empty Why No Love For Rare British Tennis Talent?

Post by hawkeye Mon 12 Dec 2011, 15:53

I've noticed on other threads that Greg Rusedski gets little "love". In fact he's often referred to in rude or dismissive terms. I've often wondered why as he has had excellent results as a player (including a slam final and a ranking high of 4), is enthusiastic in his interest in tennis including British tennis, is keen on coaching (at present coaching something unusual in this country a successful Junior Davis Cup squad), is a good commentator and has a lovely smile. I'm sure he would be considered a valuable asset to any tennis playing country. Yet here where ex players of his quality are rare he is often sidelined...

Can anyone explain why? Or is there a silent minority here on 606v2 that appreciate him?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Why No Love For Rare British Tennis Talent? Empty Re: Why No Love For Rare British Tennis Talent?

Post by bogbrush Tue 13 Dec 2011, 09:41

He talks nonsense.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Why No Love For Rare British Tennis Talent? Empty Re: Why No Love For Rare British Tennis Talent?

Post by laverfan Tue 13 Dec 2011, 13:35

hawkeye wrote:Why No Love For Rare British Tennis Talent?

"Why No Love For The CURRENT Rare British Tennis Talent - Andy Murray?"

Closest to the legendary Fred Perry, in terms of achievements, ... Wink

hawkeye wrote:has a lovely smile....

Not always. Wink. Every tennis player has one of these moments - here is Greg's (1:15+) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9P-6EP9wYQ&feature=related

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 13 Dec 2011, 15:11

laverfan

If your worried about any lack of love for Andy Murray why not write your own article? This one is about Rusedski. Thanyou for reminding me that of course Rusedski is one of the closest British players in terms of achievement to the great Fred Perry.

I'm not sure why you included the clip of Rusedski swearing. Is that the reason you don't like him? It is of course against the rules to swear at an umpire but sometimes in the heat of the moment it can happen. Rusedski of course realised that what he did was wrong and apologised. He also accepted the punishement of a fine.

"There's no way I should have done it and I have only myself to blame," said Rusedski.

"I apologise for my language. It was not necessary, I regret it and I am sorry."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon_2003/3022642.stm

IMO you are being a little harsh not to forgive him for the outburst. Also just because he has a lovely smile you can't expect him to smile all the time. That would be strange...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 13 Dec 2011, 15:13

Huh! How did I manage to make the last part of my comment so small?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 13 Dec 2011, 16:26

So he's extensively involved both with the media and with the LTA?

Why do you think he's being sidelined?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 13 Dec 2011, 17:33

djlovesyou wrote:So he's extensively involved both with the media and with the LTA?

Good point. But no one here has a positive word to say about him. Its all insults. Thats what I don't understand. If he was just ignored I would understand more.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 13 Dec 2011, 17:49

Although Rusedski does have his detractors, I think you're mistaking people disagreeing with your article which somehow linked Judy Murray's appointment as Fed Cup captain to Rusedski not getting the job as Davis Cup captain with criticism of him.

Maybe he'll get the job next time it's on offer, this time after having some coaching/mentoring experience.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Dec 2011, 17:52

Rusedski seems to be the captain of the British Junior Davis Cup squad:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/15158097.stm

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 13 Dec 2011, 17:55

HE, I do tend to just ignore the Canadian schmuck. C'mon Tim!!!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 13 Dec 2011, 17:56

The OP mentions the Junior Davis Cup squad, but that's not enough for her.

Because of his smile, Rusedski should be able to pick which job he wants within tennis without any relevant qualifications or experience.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 13 Dec 2011, 18:00

hawkeye wrote:
djlovesyou wrote:So he's extensively involved both with the media and with the LTA?

Good point. But no one here has a positive word to say about him. Its all insults. Thats what I don't understand. If he was just ignored I would understand more.

The statements that he makes in the media do not seem to endear him to a lot of viewers. Such a negative opinion is carried over to his LTA duties as well. This may explain the the lack of faith in his utterings or his abilities as a coach at higher levels.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Dec 2011, 18:06

Maybe Rusedski didn't get the Fed Cup captaincy because of the way he smiles at those young ladies.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 13 Dec 2011, 18:31

laverfan wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

The statements that he makes in the media do not seem to endear him to a lot of viewers. Such a negative opinion is carried over to his LTA duties as well. This may explain the the lack of faith in his utterings or his abilities as a coach at higher levels.

What statements? He's quite a high profile contributor on Sky. He appears well enough liked there. He always appears quite positive to me and is very good at predicting the outcome of matches. He isn't scared to say what he thinks though. I remember way back before the 2008 Wimbledon when he was gently mocked by the other commentators for predicting that Nadal would win. Everone else was convinced it would be Federer again. He's expessed doubts about Djokovic next year and is positive about Nadals chances. IMO he's spot on. But I don't think I'de be tempted to call him names if I disagreed.

And why the lack of faith in his abilities as a coach at "higher levels". Is it because he wasn't given the Davis Cup role? That was nothing to do with his coaching abilities.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 18:40

I've nothing particularly against him but he does appear to speak before he thinks rather frequently which is to his detriment. He is so so as a commentator - not the worst but no Koenig or McEnroe. In my opinion he spends too much time airing his opinions and not enough time talking about the match.

As for his coaching experience, he appears to be doing well with the juniors and, in a few years time, may have the coaching experience to be effective in the Davis Cup role. He may also have learned to think before he speaks a bit more often which will definitely endear him to more people.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 13 Dec 2011, 19:05

carrieg4 wrote:I've nothing particularly against him but he does appear to speak before he thinks rather frequently which is to his detriment. He is so so as a commentator - not the worst but no Koenig or McEnroe. In my opinion he spends too much time airing his opinions and not enough time talking about the match.

As for his coaching experience, he appears to be doing well with the juniors and, in a few years time, may have the coaching experience to be effective in the Davis Cup role. He may also have learned to think before he speaks a bit more often which will definitely endear him to more people.

Thats fair enough. Not expecting everyone to love him. I like it that he say what he thinks. Do you think he's better than Henman? I don't understand why the BBC pay Henman so much for covering Wimbledon. I don't think Henman even thinks about tennis from one year to the next.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 13 Dec 2011, 19:13

hawkeye wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:I've nothing particularly against him but he does appear to speak before he thinks rather frequently which is to his detriment. He is so so as a commentator - not the worst but no Koenig or McEnroe. In my opinion he spends too much time airing his opinions and not enough time talking about the match.

Thats fair enough. Not expecting everyone to love him. I like it that he say what he thinks. Do you think he's better than Henman? I don't understand why the BBC pay Henman so much for covering Wimbledon. I don't think Henman even thinks about tennis from one year to the next.

Personally I prefer Henman as a commentator as he concentrates more on the match at hand. His comments, even the negative ones, are thoughtful and constructive. I have no idea what he would be like as a coach and would have the same reservations about lack of experience that I have about Rusedski. In terms of the Davis Cup role I believe that Smith was a good appointment.

Henman is getting back into tennis now - hasn't he just won a champions title?

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 13 Dec 2011, 19:28

hawkeye wrote:What statements? He's quite a high profile contributor on Sky. He appears well enough liked there. He always appears quite positive to me and is very good at predicting the outcome of matches.

"I've got to favour Novak Djokovic [against Ferrer]. He hadn't played a match in a long while. He came through against Berdych having saved match point, being down a break in the final set.

"Djokovic only gets better throughout an event. He's had 48 hours to rest so expect him to come through in two or three tight sets."

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12040/7327659/-A-vintage-display-

And this statement despite what happened in Paris to Djokovic.

hawkeye wrote:He isn't scared to say what he thinks though.

Neither is Pat Cash. Wink

hawkeye wrote:And why the lack of faith in his abilities as a coach at "higher levels". Is it because he wasn't given the Davis Cup role? That was nothing to do with his coaching abilities.

Rusedski wanted the DC job, right after his first Junior DC victory. A bit presumptuous, don't you think? His failed DC comeback also irks quite a few people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2044830/Greg-Rusedski-wants-Davis-Cup-Captain.html

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 14 Dec 2011, 13:16

laverfan

We might get on if we didn't disagree with just about everything.

Just about everyone favoured Djokovic over Ferrer in that match!

I like Pat Cash too. I don't always agree with what he says but why should anyone expect to agree with everything someone else says? One of my favourite tennis memories is when he won Wimbledon and climbed up to his team, family and friends. One of the tennis memories I wish I had was seeing him being beaten by a very young Nadal in that infamous exhibition...

And no I don't think Rusedski was being presumptuous for wanting the DC job after his squads junior victory because I think he should have been given the job in the first place! I think he will get it eventually. It would be nice to see him get success with it especially if it involves members of his junior team.

Thanks for the link to the photo. In it Rusedski has a particuarly nice smile. Don't you think?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 14 Dec 2011, 18:36

hawkeye wrote:We might get on if we didn't disagree with just about everything.

I don't always agree with what he says but why should anyone expect to agree with everything someone else says?
Erm Our disagreements are fine, as long as we do not resort to name-calling and continue to have civilised discussions. Wink

hawkeye wrote:Just about everyone favoured Djokovic over Ferrer in that match!

Not me. :p

hawkeye wrote:I like Pat Cash too. I don't always agree with what he says but why should anyone expect to agree with everything someone else says? One of my favourite tennis memories is when he won Wimbledon and climbed up to his team, family and friends. One of the tennis memories I wish I had was seeing him being beaten by a very young Nadal in that infamous exhibition...

One of the first prominent players to suffer for it was the former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash, who visited Majorca for an exhibition match with Boris Becker in May 2001.

Becker withdrew with an injury, and Cash agreed to play the 14-year-old Nadal, who beat the 36-year-old Cash.

hawkeye wrote:And no I don't think Rusedski was being presumptuous for wanting the DC job after his squads junior victory because I think he should have been given the job in the first place! I think he will get it eventually. It would be nice to see him get success with it especially if it involves members of his junior team.

Thanks for the link to the photo. In it Rusedski has a particuarly nice smile. Don't you think?
I would say, Rusedski would have to earn the job. He needs to perhaps work as an assistant DC coach for some time (if LTA would let him) and see how the chemistry with team works.

He has a nice smile, but I would look for additional qualifications for the DC job. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 14 Dec 2011, 20:03

"I don't think Henman even thinks about tennis from one year to the next."
This seems wrong to me as he has a lot of knowledge about tennis results even from say 2008 or 2009 after he retired. I suspect he follows the game fairly closely, watching big matches and following results.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 14 Dec 2011, 20:09

The issue with Rusedski is that he was only half British, and suddenly converted to fully British taking the opportunity to be our top star and top supported player in our media, at Wimbledon, and in Davis Cup, and no doubt got more money from sponsorship deals as result. (The rise of Tim Henman happened a year or two after this.)
This may not be a fair analysis, but I think that is how some people saw it and also some people didn't feel his personality fully genuine, like a politician who seems nice but somehow at the back of your mind you are not fully convinced that that is a genuine smile you can trust.

I am not saying that is fair or that is what I think, but that may be how some people saw it.

That swearing incident for me was not that serious. if that was the worst incident in his career I think we can forgive him.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 14 Dec 2011, 20:17

A funny story, this is a true story.
At the Tsonga-Federer match at the WFT final we hung around a bit after. Our block was right by the TV studio and they don't have a private exit so they waited 5-10 minutes for fans to disperse and just come out on to the general walkway.

Becker (who was in cast and hadn't been the day before, so I don't know what happened Saturday night!) and Rusedski got asked for interviews while Petchy and another British ex pro (maybe Barry Cowan) just blended in and disappeared, I doubt mostor any people recognised them in the crowd.

A foreigner came up to Greg and said "Hey Tim, can I have a photo." There was not a trace of irony in this, it was a genuine mistake I think. Greg did not correct him and posed for the photo anyway.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 14 Dec 2011, 22:26

Henman Bill

I hadn't really thought about the fact that Rusedski is only half British (whatever that means?). I think you may have a point.

I like the story about Greg at the O2. I think he did the correct thing. Why embarrass anyone?

Maybe I was a little harsh saying Henman doesn't think of tennis from one year to the next as I think he's quite good friends with Federer.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 14 Dec 2011, 22:29

laverfan

Ha ha! So you think Rusedski should shadow Leon Smith in order to see how its done...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 14 Dec 2011, 23:10

Maybe?

A non-coach shadowing an established coach in order to learn his trade. Seems fair enough to me.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 14 Dec 2011, 23:58

hawkeye wrote:laverfan

Ha ha! So you think Rusedski should shadow Leon Smith in order to see how its done...

If Gulbis has Canas and Gumy, and Federer has Luthi and Annacone, I am pretty sure, Rusedski can learn what to do and more importantly, what not to do. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 15 Dec 2011, 00:20

For what it's worth Rusedeski is a pretty poor commentator IMO. Having said that he nowadays seems to be more in the studio giving post-match analysis and pre-match opinions. Strikes me as the kind of guy who's fine when given time to think about things but when he has to think on his feet can be vacuous and plain irritating.

As a coach well he's unproven at any level. Taking a bunch of very talented kids and winning the world cup junior Davis Cup title? Well you or I could have done that!

What else has he done? He's been a rather expensive hitting partner for Ollie Golding, made a bit of fool of himself of Family Fortunes was it ?(didn't get any questions right from memory) and wasn't that great dancing on ice either.

Pat Cash really had a dig at Greg in his autobiography a few years ago claiming he's untrustworthy and that the only decent thing about him was his wife Lucy!

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 16 Dec 2011, 14:00

hawkeye wrote:I've noticed on other threads that Greg Rusedski gets little "love". In fact he's often referred to in rude or dismissive terms. I've often wondered why as he has had excellent results as a player (including a slam final and a ranking high of 4), is enthusiastic in his interest in tennis including British tennis, is keen on coaching (at present coaching something unusual in this country a successful Junior Davis Cup squad), is a good commentator and has a lovely smile. I'm sure he would be considered a valuable asset to any tennis playing country. Yet here where ex players of his quality are rare he is often sidelined...

Can anyone explain why? Or is there a silent minority here on 606v2 that appreciate him?

I think the first comment, from the expressive 'bogbrush' sums up perfectly

Also anyone who thinks that Tsonga is the next Rafa, either doesn't watch Tennis or is an idiot

I actually never liked him as a player (but wanted him to win for patriotic reasons - unless he was playing Henman, Agassi or Federer) as I'm not into one-dimensional Tennis

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down