The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow sevens

+5
George Carlin
GLove39
gmclachl
RDW
compelling and rich
9 posters

Go down

Glasgow sevens Empty Glasgow sevens

Post by compelling and rich Fri 09 Dec 2011, 9:25 pm

seen today that the Edinburgh sevens has been moved to Glasgow for next year.

this well and truly screws me over as i was arranging a stag do for the Edinburgh event. so the question now is what's Glasgow like for a stag weekend and what's the scotstoun stadium like. looks tiny from the pictures and according to wiki is only a 5000 seater. this to me sounds rubbish, wont be any atmosphere and contemplating whether its worth it now.

anybody help us out if you have been to the stadium or Glasgow in general

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Glasgow sevens Empty Re: Glasgow sevens

Post by RDW Sat 10 Dec 2011, 9:39 am

I'm really disappointed by this decision as it looks like it has been politically motivated. Plus I am worried Scotland will lose the event completely since we have already lost the prestige of the last leg and it has been downgraded even still by moving to Scotstoun.

As for yourself - I feel for you! The Edinburgh one is a great venue for a stag doo - you've got a great fun tournament during the day and a cracking city at night for Stag doos.

They will be building temporary stadiums so will increase the capacity to 15 000 so there will be atmosphere, but since it will be the first time I can't comment on how good it will be!

Lots of good pubs and clubs in Glasgow but don't know much about it as a stag venue.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by gmclachl Sun 11 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

Ashton lane in the west end is pretty nice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Lane

You also have the merchant city.
http://www.merchantcityglasgow.com/

gmclachl

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:38 pm

I really wish they hadn't moved the 7's from Murrayfield.

When you look at the other venues on the 7's circuit, Twickenham, the cake tin, Hong Kong Stadium etc Scotstourn stands out like a sore thumb. It's an embarrassing decision that creates the impression that Scotland doesn't care about 7's.

I'd be surprised if we retain the 7's for much longer, and who could blame the IRB if they switched from 'mighty' Scotstourn to the Millennium Stadiumin the future for instance?

Poor call by the SRU

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 11 Dec 2011, 8:35 pm

Is it really at Scotstoun as opposed to Hampden or Celtic Park? That's completely unbelievable if that's true.

More importantly, though, Compelling - if you can't have a decent stag in Glasgow then you're probably barely registering a pulse. It's the most fun town in Scotland and all of the usual stag stuff (paintballing, go-karting) can be done within a short drive. No better town to get hammered in either.

I went to uni here and it's a real laugh.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:34 am

cheers for the info, think ive decided to still go through with it. see what the scotstoun has to offer, although better get into gear as theres at least 25 people going so far. will need to get tickets sorted. still disappointed its not at a "proper stadium" but im sure we would have fun in a car park.

any places we should avoid? also worried about places letting large group of lads in. often the smarter places are more stricter.

anybody know which are the best stands to choose, temps ones dont sound to enticing but dont think were too fussy as long as we can get to the beer places alright and tickets are very cheap for some of the stands

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 02 May 2012, 11:12 pm

got the tickets all booked for this weekend but fate seems to want to throw as many spanners at me as possible. 24 lads going in total all of which are united or city fans and quite a big day of football going on the sunday and they are all whinging about wanting to watch the game. we can get in and out on the tickets all right but anybody know any pubs near the scotstoun stadium that might be showing the games?

its quite far out of the centre from what i gather, but last resorts could go in centre. only problem is rugbys probably a right off then. the final spanner is celtic are playing the same time as the city v newcastle game so would need to be somewhere where they might have both or willing to put the english games on.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 03 May 2012, 10:40 pm

compelling,
I am on self imposed bad boy exile from the main rugby post but if I may assist here being a Glasgow West End resident.

The stadium, Scotstoun, looks great (15000) and will rock on the day. For the demented wendyballers in your party can I suggest Byres Road - a short taxi or bus ride away (East). Full of pubs, clubs, restaurants and ladies with attitude ! Wendyball central is Tennants half way up - but beware - Neil 'The Orc' Lennon drinks in there. Why not try to get tickets for the Warriors game at Firhill on Saturday - you will need to be quick as I believe they are nearly sold out - not least due to shuttle buses running from the 7s ! Avoid going anywhere further West (Yoker, Clydebank etc- utter toilets) and imediate pubs are not great and not that many either tbh.

Enjoy your weekend and enjoy Glasgow -it is a great city !

21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 04 May 2012, 11:54 am

Cheers pal, will have a scout of the place. Organsing this has done my head in, just looking forward to getting p!ssed now!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 May 2012, 1:32 pm

Anyone know if it is on TV?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 04 May 2012, 1:40 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Anyone know if it is on TV?

yeah its on sky sports 1 on saturday, sky sports 4 on sunday

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 06 May 2012, 9:04 pm

New Zealand win 29 -14 over England.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 06 May 2012, 10:34 pm

D J Forbes awesome player. Great festival of rugby - well done GCC clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 07 May 2012, 9:47 am

Shame about Wales getting beaten in the plate final, but well done Samoa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17977714

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 07 May 2012, 10:31 am

For future events. Please get better beer, or at least more choice - Carling is disgusting, tasteless muck. Even the Guinness and Caffreys was tasteless and overpriced too. Better and more oulets too would be good - i.e. some good sports ones selling varied rugby stuff - Greaves were there but only selling silly SRU souvenir stuff. I dare say this happen in future as they had 27,000 rugby afficienados there over 2 days wanting to spend. Entertainment was very good though and the party stand was a blast.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 07 May 2012, 12:28 pm

Did we really get beaten by Spain? Headscratch

I'm assuming that they took a siesta in the middle and we still got tonked.

Not convinced Shiel is up to it, really.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 07 May 2012, 9:33 pm

George,

apart from Gregor and Turnbull they were woeful. Beaten by poor SA and Wales sides - give Spain there due they looked ok. The incompetent numpties at the SRU need to look at this before giving out any contracts. Shiel as clueless as Robinson and Townsend tbh Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 07 May 2012, 9:35 pm

George - I should say NZ and England were very classy and deserved to be finalists

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 08 May 2012, 1:16 pm

What are people's views on Scotstoun as a venue?

I'm looking to buy a Warriors season ticket for next season, and I'm curious if there's any obvious advantage in the Main Stand over the North Stand? Are the view/facilities/atmosphere noticably better?

I want to avoid the situation that I saw on Saturday at Firhill where the Jackie Husband stand was packed out, with a wicked atmosphere (I was seated in front of a girl with tourettes), while the stand opposite was rather sparsly occupied.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 08 May 2012, 4:32 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:George - I should say NZ and England were very classy and deserved to be finalists
OK I see that Gavin Hastings was pretty critical of the Scotland performance - as critical as he gets, of course, being smoother than the cream in a twinkie.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 08 May 2012, 4:40 pm

Ian,

main stand comfortable but as it faces north will be cold - it was on Saturday and Sunday. North stand could not comment on tbh as never been there. At Firhill the Jackie Husband was always filled first and the other stands, including the main stand, used as overflows - season tickets were always for the Jackie Husband.

If Scotstoun can create even half the noise and atmosphere it will be doing well - compare with the 'library' at M'field for example

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down