The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: Qualifying School Final

+15
twoeightnine
goldwolf
Doon the Water
JAS
1GrumpyGolfer
liegerwoods
Mary
puligny
super_realist
NedB-H
JDandfries
kwinigolfer
Faldono1fan
Hibbz
JPX
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

European Tour: Qualifying School Final - Page 2 Empty European Tour: Qualifying School Final

Post by JPX Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

I won't attempt to write anything as interesting as Kwini or Mav's weekly articles, but just thought I'd start a thread on the Q school final, which gets underway in Spain tomorrow.

Some interesting participants:

Benn Barham
Matt Nixon
Darren Fichardt (who I spoke to about 3 or so years ago and said he wanted to be on PGA Tour the following year, just goes to show how wrong it can go)
Callum Macaulay
Robert Dinwiddie
Alastair Forsyth
Sam Hutsby
John Morgan
Seve Benson
Phil Archer
Saltmans
Paul Broadhurst
Andy Sullivan

WHo are you hoping will make it through?

JPX

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Qualifying School Final - Page 2 Empty Re: European Tour: Qualifying School Final

Post by Hibbz Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:32 pm

Okay, so all is not lost! Thanks again Golfwolf.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Qualifying School Final - Page 2 Empty Re: European Tour: Qualifying School Final

Post by JPX Mon 12 Dec 2011, 7:01 pm

Hutsby hold the 3rd round lead, long way to go but you have to think he's almost there.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 12 Dec 2011, 7:11 pm

Hutsby leading after 3 rounds but that is half time!!! Good luck to him over the next 3 and I think especially the next one on the more difficult course which will really set the tone for the week. 6 rounds is really tough - that's a seasons golf for some of the guys I play with!!!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:08 am

Nick Dougherty's slide continues - +4 after 3 holes already today and he's almost propping up the table. Very sad!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

Ladyputt! How goes it? Not seen you on here much, I've been dropping in occasionally but not had time to post anything worthwhile.

Have nothing but admiration for Dougherty, it's bad enough when I have a 1 bad round, but a whole season of poor play and he's still trying. Looks like he will play out the 4 rounds which is more than can be said for a few of them.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

Was just looking at the leaderboard and saw that Dougherty is going the wrong way. What a harsh thing professional golf can be.

I was also looking at the way that the board is tilted towards the players who have only played the stadium course once as Faldo mentioned yesterday. I guess that the courses are pretty close together so different weather can't be a factor. Obviously it could be a lot harder but there don't seem to be much of a change so far. Was there some sort of seeding in the draw so the better qualified players played this way round.

Even though it is obviously a different course it is strange to have such a difference. If you think of the Dunhill where they play three courses, while there are always some trends you normally have a few players who buck the trends to mix the leaderboard up a bit.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

Wouldn't the leaders after two rounds play one course, and the back markers another, then switch after Round 3?

Some good names are destined to miss the cut, led by Dougherty of course but Siddikur is also struggling, plus the American Patrick Reed who started well until clocking up a TEN early in Round 2. Sad to see Broadhurst and Wakefield adrift, among others.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:31 pm

Kwini, It looks like they play the courses alternately with the cut being after 4 rounds. I'm not sure if they are redrawn according to position each but I would imagine that would be difficult to organise.

Nice to see that John E Morgan is making a good move. The lad I've been following, Tyrrell Hatton, is -3 after 12 but probably needs at least the same again if not 4 in the final 6 holes to get through.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:50 pm

goldwolf wrote:Ladyputt! How goes it? Not seen you on here much, I've been dropping in occasionally but not had time to post anything worthwhile.

Have nothing but admiration for Dougherty, it's bad enough when I have a 1 bad round, but a whole season of poor play and he's still trying. Looks like he will play out the 4 rounds which is more than can be said for a few of them.
Great to see you back GW thumbsup I'm on the naughty step at the moment so can't PM you! Yes, sad to see Dougherty on the slide. And with DiDo no longer working for Sky, makes you wonder where the next meal is coming from ...

Are you seriously considering giving up golf? I know I've been away from the game for 2 years but it was never a permanent thing. I'm now looking forward to getting back on the course having played 3 rounds on holiday in Tenerife in September and discovering I can still hit the ball in the right direction. Yahoo I think it's time you found some new friends.

Last edited by LadyPutt on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:55 pm

twoeightnine wrote:Was just looking at the leaderboard and saw that Dougherty is going the wrong way. What a harsh thing professional golf can be.

I was also looking at the way that the board is tilted towards the players who have only played the stadium course once as Faldo mentioned yesterday. I guess that the courses are pretty close together so different weather can't be a factor. Obviously it could be a lot harder but there don't seem to be much of a change so far. Was there some sort of seeding in the draw so the better qualified players played this way round.

Even though it is obviously a different course it is strange to have such a difference. If you think of the Dunhill where they play three courses, while there are always some trends you normally have a few players who buck the trends to mix the leaderboard up a bit.

The stadium course is much harder... tighter and longer

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 13 Dec 2011, 6:55 pm

Hutsby still leading by 2 after 4 rounds. I think final 2 rounds are on the Stadium course which is the more difficult of the two. Must be feeling a bit excited now!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Tue 13 Dec 2011, 7:06 pm

I was watching the live leaderboard (sad, I know!) and one of the last scores to come in pushed the 8 players on -3 down below the cut line. Must be a real gut wrencher for those involved.

A sad day for Nick Dougherty. Sad Seems like a nice guy, so hopefully he can turn his game around over the winter and take full advantage of the invites which are sure to come his way.

Would like to see Benn Barham get his card. He has fought back after having a kidney removed last year, due to a tumour.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:00 pm

Mary - agree re Barham. Been through a lot and deserves a break. Big push required by Dinwiddie and would like to see Orr Nixon O'Hara and Benson in the frame.
Hampshire well represented by Hutsby and Bland, and though I am only an adopted Hog would love to see both get their cards. Bland also had a tough year but is a really solid player and nice guy who seemed only a year ago to be secure for a good few years after a long apprenticeship.
Tough gig, 6 rounds in 6 days!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:20 am

LadyPutt wrote:
goldwolf wrote:Ladyputt! How goes it? Not seen you on here much, I've been dropping in occasionally but not had time to post anything worthwhile.

Great to see you back GW thumbsup I'm on the naughty step at the moment so can't PM you! Yes, sad to see Dougherty on the slide. And with DiDo no longer working for Sky, makes you wonder where the next meal is coming from ...

Are you seriously considering giving up golf? I know I've been away from the game for 2 years but it was never a permanent thing. I'm now looking forward to getting back on the course having played 3 rounds on holiday in Tenerife in September and discovering I can still hit the ball in the right direction. Yahoo I think it's time you found some new friends.

Ladyputt on the naughty step? What have you been up to!? Shocked

I won't be giving up, I just may not be a member anywhere, or I might just do the minimum membership to maintain a handicap. Its just unfortunate, would love to join this new place as it's very nice, but its not an option unless my numbers come up! I don't mind playing with new people, but every week it might become a bit of a chore.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Dec 2011, 12:18 pm

Looks like Hutsby's boat has caught a crab, +3 after six holes, Benn Barham +6 after eight.
A wild ride today, some spectacular rounds in progress and some real horror stories.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 14 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

Could get rather confusing if Jordi Garcia and Jordi Garcia Pinto both make it through!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:27 pm

goldwolf wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

Ladyputt on the naughty step? What have you been up to!? Shocked

I won't be giving up, I just may not be a member anywhere, or I might just do the minimum membership to maintain a handicap. Its just unfortunate, would love to join this new place as it's very nice, but its not an option unless my numbers come up! I don't mind playing with new people, but every week it might become a bit of a chore.

I've not been a member of a club for a while now because I wasn't playing due to my hip operations and LordPutt not playing after he had his elbow broken while cutting a fairway. Quite honestly, I've not missed it. Only problem is when I start playing again in the New Year, I won't be able to play on some courses (or the Bournemouth Open) because I don't have an official handicap any more. It didn't stop me getting on Golf del Sur in Tenerife though. Just said I had a handicap of 20 and off I went.

Do you still have the email address from the old 606 days - the one on D4S's spreadsheet?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

Broadhurst was hoping to keep his hand in for a couple of years until seniors beckons

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:39 pm

Hopefully Broadhurst still retains some status, however diminished. Should be enough to get him in to some E.T. events.
Sad to see him and Peter Baker struggling.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:55 pm

Hutsby recovered to finish level for the day 2 shots off the lead held by David Dixon. Richard Bland 1 shot back from Hutsby and probably playing together tomorrow - Hampshire knockout between the 2 but hopefully both will get their cards.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:16 am

Some biggish interesting names down the list .Lorenzo Vera was to be the next big thing and Phil Archer 2 years ago was really solid making the cut every week.Tough and unforgiving

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:15 am

Hutsby and Sullivan still hanging in there. Should make it barring a disaster, but as we know each position counts - card 6 is much better than card 16, could be the difference between getting into a few of the tournaments and missing out.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm

What about Gary Orr! -6 today after 14 holes and now comfortably in the places. "when the going gets tough......"

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

Correction on Gary Orr -7 after 15 holes today!!!!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

Gary Orr certain card for 2012 - finishes -15 for 6 rounds -7 today. 2 shots off lead held jointly by Dixon and Hutsby at -17 after 10 today. Bland in third place - 16 after 11

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:12 pm

I see that Stiggy Hodgson didn't qualify for "Final" (among others); is that the end of the road for him or will he be back?

Always find it extraordinary how quickly Walker Cup Team-paths diverge following the big event. Here and there. James Byrne playing in Melbourne I see.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

Hate to be too critical of these young guys. Whatever they do they are better than me, but Stiggy never seemed as good as some of the others to me. First saw him when he was highly rated and does seem to have slipped backwards since then? Hope I'm wrong but suspect he has been passed. If Matthew Nixon makes it, and he is looking good right now, have heard people rate him highly.
They are so good though that the margins between success and "failure" are tiny. I played earlier this year with a young Hampshire player, Darren Wright. If he doesn't make it I can't call anything - but though he is still young and amateur, didn't get through round 4 this year - and he is seriously talented. It's a tough school!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:44 pm

Steven O'Hara now tied for the lead -5 today and almost home!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:58 pm

Dixon wins. Hutsby, Sullivan and Bland 2 3and 4 O'Hara5. 9 English men get cards. Good weeks work.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:19 pm

NedB-H wrote:I see Ollie Wilson isn't bothering to turn up. Presumably he has some career money exemption or other that he's planning to use, but seems poor on his part not to be there. Means Dougherty is the biggest name I guess.

I'm in the Morgan fan club too, and there's a good few other guys who I'll follow with interest.

-pd's mate Siddikur, Bangladesh's greatest golfer, is having a crack at the ET, would be good to see more of him in Europe.
-Team Holland have a good turnout, I'm hoping some of their young players will be inspired by Luiten's recent win and make the next step up. Besseling, Remkes, De Vries, Saxton and Sluiter makes for an impressive group, and Lafeber is present to give a bit of experience.
-Hopefully some of the Kent players will have good weeks, Barham, McGuirk and Gibb all in attendance, first time I think for the latter two.
-And I'll be following some of the younger players who I reckon might be the next big things: Grillo of Argentina, Denmark's JB Hansen, Lagergren of Sweden, Otaegui of Spain and the two Americans, Pinckney and Reed.

And finally, good luck to Chris Devlin, McDowell's old college teammate, 36 years old, an American mini-tour veteran and open heart surgery survivor. Would be great to see him make it at last.
4 out of 6 for my young guns to watch out for, better strike rate than I usually get in the fantasy league. Will be good to see a young American player starting his career over here. Good effort by Team Holland too, 5/6, albeit all in the lower reaches.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:10 am

Great final round by Gary Orr. Also good to see O'Hara through.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:28 pm

Seems the American Pinckney is an old buddy of Rory. I tried to add a link to the story but either I wasn't sufficiently techy, or I wasn't allowed to. Doesn't matter -- if you're interested you'll find it easily enough "Pals McIlroy, Pinckney reunite at Congressional".

By the way, since I'm here -- how in the world did Budweiser get to be voted no. 1 alcoholic beverage on this forum ? With so many excellent beers to choose from over there, how did this happen? I'm appalled ! Shocked

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:32 pm

Plunky.....It really is quite scary to see how gullable some folk are.

Spend a fortune on advertising and all the sheep swallow it.
The Brazillian beer with the wedge of lime for £3 a bottle I found the funniest.
Anyone admit to still drinking it? [or have you now moved onto Chinese beer]

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:12 pm

Doon, I'd not heard that and it sends shivers down my spine that I am associated with anything that calls Budweiser its number one beer.

One of my best mates is very senior in their business and for a joke left a slab in my fridge. Even I couldn't bring myself to try it even thought it was free.

The worst thing they did over here was make it 5%. At least in the States it is honest - it tastes like urine and is as weak as it too.

Not tried Chinese but will look out for it. They seem like they need a hand......

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:34 pm

Just bought my Xmas supply of Old Speckled Hen.

For some strange reason I have taken to drinking port and lemonade, should I be worried?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:19 pm

Don't want to worry you, but my Mum used to tell me that port and lemon was a tart's drink ! Yikes

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:56 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Just bought my Xmas supply of Old Speckled Hen.

For some strange reason I have taken to drinking port and lemonade, should I be worried?
Yeah.... why lemon?

Anyway, Old Speckled is a pretty feeble ale at the best of times

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

Yeah, get yourself a good few bottles of Adnam's Broadside in. That'll sort the men from the boys!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2