The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings

+15
Pal Joey
88Chris05
indianfan
kwinigolfer
Corporalhumblebucket
skyeman
GG
JDizzle
Mike Selig
Mad for Chelsea
Hoggy_Bear
Biltong
guildfordbat
Stella
Fists of Fury
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings - Page 3 Empty 606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Morning all

Sorry for the delay in getting the middle order batsmen results sorted, I'll do that in the next day or so.

Meanwhile, we might as well get the voting for the top 10 greatest Test opening batsmen under way.

Same rules apply, post-war batsmen only (those that played both can be considered if their body of work post-war warrants their inclusion).

In order, please.

Thanks.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings

Post by skyeman Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:10 pm

They haven't done nearly enough for long enough.

Exactly my point Guildford, nor did Richards in Test cricket. The thread is about Test cricket only. So it is not possible for Richards to be the best Test opener based on only four games.
Please do not get me wrong on this because if we said only best opener, then of course I like many others would have him as an all time great. Only befitting to a man with such remarkable talent.

Very Happy Not much use for a cricket bat on Skye, well maybe for the wife. Ouch Wink

skyeman

Back to top Go down

606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings - Page 3 Empty Re: 606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:01 pm

JD, Fists and Skye - thanks for your responses.

As Fists says, ''Sometimes you just know.''

Very fine points from you, JD. Stats obviously come into it and can't be overlooked but the thrill of seeing class before your eyes will never leave you.

I do believe some here who would have seen Richards at his peak - at least on tv - are being governed by perceived rules as to a minimum number of test appearances for judging test greatness but that is their call to make as they see fit.

As I said the other night, a giant remains a giant even if we're largely prohibited from seeing him.

Allow me to lob in a scary thought. Maybe Richards' stature would have grown even further and his batting average risen higher still in a regular and motivating test environment. We'll never know but perhaps that merits a quick thought as others automatically assume his test average would have dropped with more matches. It probably would and certainly should have done but I've already said Richards is the exception to most rules!

Skye - we agree on Richards being a great opener but not on the eligibility requirements for our top ten test openers. I'm sure we can both live with that. After all, others have to put up with far more. Btw, how is Mrs Skyeman? Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:08 pm

guildfordbat wrote:JD, Fists and Skye - thanks for your responses.

As Fists says, ''Sometimes you just know.''

Very fine points from you, JD. Stats obviously come into it and can't be overlooked but the thrill of seeing class before your eyes will never leave you.

I do believe some here who would have seen Richards at his peak - at least on tv - are being governed by perceived rules as to a minimum number of test appearances for judging test greatness but that is their call to make as they see fit.

As I said the other night, a giant remains a giant even if we're largely prohibited from seeing him.

Allow me to lob in a scary thought. Maybe Richards' stature would have grown even further and his batting average risen higher still in a regular and motivating test environment. We'll never know but perhaps that merits a quick thought as others automatically assume his test average would have dropped with more matches. It probably would and certainly should have done but I've already said Richards is the exception to most rules!

Skye - we agree on Richards being a great opener but not on the eligibility requirements for our top ten test openers. I'm sure we can both live with that. After all, others have to put up with far more. Btw, how is Mrs Skyeman? Very Happy

Guildford - Such a gentleman, Yes of course we can. Lucky to have me Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:19 pm

Just watched the Richards video. One word - magnificent. Will discuss more tomorrow.

Night chaps.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:31 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Just watched the Richards video. One word - magnificent. Will discuss more tomorrow.

Night chaps.

No expense spared on an evening with the girlfriend, eh Fists? Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:18 pm

JDizzle wrote:
.... And I do! I feel that I abused my time with Eddie whereas other people would have made much more valuable with it!

JD - It's understandable that you want to kick yourself but that would serve no purpose and Eddie Barlow, by many accounts, was such a lovely man he would never have thought to hold it against you.

If it is any consolation, many of us make similar errors when we're young. My great uncle was a professional footballer in the 1920s and early '30s. His sporting career never came anywhere near to even remotely reaching the heights of Eddie's but was nonetheless an interesting one. Although in many ways an early journeyman footballer, he played at the top tier of league football in England and Scotland enjoying a short time in the sun. Although impressed as a boy to have a former professional footballer in the family, the names of old team mates and opponents he used to regularly reel off meant nothing to me and I shamefully would too often just switch off. It was only after he died (in 1989) and I inherited his press cuttings etc, that I took a real interest and researched his career together with football as a whole at that time. How much easier and enjoyable it would have been to do it with him when I had the opportunity ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 08 Dec 2011, 5:30 am

Sunil Gavaskar
Len Hutton
Matthew Hayden
Graeme Smith
Virender Sehwag
Geoffrey Boycott
Arthur Morris
Gordon Greenidge
Bill Lawry
Bobby Simpson

followed by (in no particular order):

Alastair Cook
Justin Langer
Dennis Amiss
Hanif Mohammad
Rohan Kanhai
Desmond Haynes
Graeme Gooch
Saeed Anwar

I was lucky enough to see Barry Richards in action - powerful elegance personified... but tend to agree with Skye above. Top 10 Test Openers is what we're after so unfortunately he fails to meet the criteria with only 4 Tests to his name. I wish it were more though...

As for Sehwag - have to include him. Best opener by a mile in the last decade. OK, no footwork and a vicious slogger but he has had some immense stays at the crease under very trying conditions against some of the best bowling attacks - and as much as I would prefer to watch classical stroke-play he has the runs on the board.

I know Boycott isn't too popular on this board but I remember the agony of him at the crease (for what seemed half of the 1980s). steam
I would be listening to the commentary beside the pool - have 5 swims, take the dog for a walk, ride my bike up to the shops for an ice cream... and the baaastard would still be at the crease on only 55 or something.
Then Gooch would hang around for bit too... double the pain! Laugh

I honestly believe Alastair Cook is a gem of a player. A genuine gem. I mean look at his stats for the last year or so. Sickening average against Australia (in the last Ashes Series), SL and now India - but I'll concede he was such a pleasure to watch last summer here; and your last summer just passed. Such control at the crease, perfect shot selection... surely it can't last... surely? Smile

I was even tempted to put him at 9 or 10 on the list but if he continues in his current form for the next few seasons it won't be long before he is midway up the list or even higher.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Dec 2011, 6:10 am

Guildford, just out of curiosity, how would you then rate Brett Schults?

He only played nine test before injry ended his career.

He took 37 wickets at an average of 20.24, strike rate of 46.8.

Now I was of the opinion that he could have been a great.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 08 Dec 2011, 8:10 am

Biltong,

I tend to agree with you that ''he could have been a great''. His figures and reports of his bowling (when injury free) are certainly impressive.

With a little sadness, I have to say that for me Schultz wasn't a great. Largely this is because - unlike Richards - injury never gave him the opportunity to sufficiently prove to my satisfaction over a period of years what he would have achieved at test level.

That said, I didn't see him play (other than the odd glimpse on tv) and so accept I'm not the best to judge.

My final word on Richards. Richards' greatness for me is not because of what he did in four tests but in spite of him having played only four tests.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

Regarding B Richards.
I'm sorry but we're guessing he would have been a great TEST opener but we will never know.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

Stella wrote:Regarding B Richards.
I'm sorry

Stella - apology accepted! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

Great words Guildord! Just be greatful for what we know about them now!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:59 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Stella wrote:Regarding B Richards.
I'm sorry

Stella - apology accepted! Wink

laughing
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:04 pm

JDizzle wrote:Great words Guildord! Just be greatful for what we know about them now!

Thanks, JD.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 08 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

Linebreaker - a highly decent list of your own top ten and near misses.

As for Boycott, I suffered him from the late 1960s so consider yourself lucky that your pain wasn't inflicted until more than a decade later! Very Happy A tremendous talent with equal if not greater dedication but undone for me by inner selfisness and a disregard for team play.

One petty quibble on the near misses. Kanhai may have opened but I always regard him as an excellent middle order - especially number three - batsman for the Windies and Warks.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 08 Dec 2011, 3:44 pm

Mention of Kanhai. I saw two terrific innings by him. The first was a blistering 77 to help win the famous 1963 Oval Test when everyone came on the pitch at the end.
The second a one-day Wrwks v Northants match at Northampton when he was 91 going into the last over and finished on 119 - with Sarfraz bowling ! Terrific player.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by ianp1970 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:17 pm

Hutton
Gavaskar
Greenidge
Morris
Lawry
Haynes
Sehwag
Smith
Hayden
Simpson

Not too specific about the order, mentions in despatches for Boycott, Amiss and Cook.

ianp1970

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:27 pm

Yes Guildford & Sir Fred,

Kanhai was more of a middle order player I know and scored the majority of his runs there. Baptism of fire for him though when he first came onto the the scene as an opener. Thought he deserves a mention somewhere... the middle order is going to be quite busy I feel!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:34 pm

We've done it, Linebreaker.

I don't think we've had the results though, although I think some Aussie from Bowral (is that right) might win it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 08 Dec 2011, 9:42 pm

So we're not going to do it again just to be sure? Laugh

Yes Bowral, then he later lived in Adelaide. I was in the Members Stand (in the early 90s) and about 5m away from him. I looked up and he was staring right at me (I thought) but it turned out he was looking at something more interesting beyond me. However, he then did notice me and gave me a sort of half wink as if to say... 'enjoy the day, sonny...' I was tickled pink to say the least.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Just watched the Richards video. One word - magnificent. Will discuss more tomorrow.

Night chaps.

Fists - I've said too much on this already but would value hearing your views.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 12 Dec 2011, 6:25 pm

Barry Richards
Gavaskar
Hutton
Arthur Morris
Boycott
Gooch
Hanif Mohammed
Lawry
Greenidge
Conrad Hunte

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:05 pm

Sorry forgot I had mentioned the Barry Richards video. I'll have another look at the video when home tomorrow night and share my views.

Cheers.

Kwini, solid list. Results of these to be tallied Thursday.

Thanks to all that have voted.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:14 pm

Fists,

Realise you have a lot on. Besides the cricket board, cheering on the Villa and placating an unappreciative girlfriend for instance! Wink

However, if you are able to confirm the Top Ten on this thread it might help us in deciding one way or the other the case for Greenidge on the Hall of Fame.

Thanks as ever, Guildford

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:32 pm

Very good point, Guildford, I'll tally those in a moment.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

Cheers, Fists. OK

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 17 Dec 2011, 3:21 pm

Let me post my own, results to follow shortly:

1. Hutton
2. Hobbs
3. Gavaskar
4. B Richards
5. Greenidge
6. Hayden
7. Sehwag
8. Morris
9. Simpson
10. Smith

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:26 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Let me post my own, results to follow shortly:

1. Hutton
2. Hobbs
3. Gavaskar
4. B Richards
5. Greenidge
6. Hayden
7. Sehwag
8. Morris
9. Simpson
10. Smith
Hobbs was pre war Wink

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

Yep, completely forgot our own rules on that one, I had been reading about him that morning, given that it had recently been his birthday!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Yep, completely forgot our own rules on that one, I had been reading about him that morning, given that it had recently been his birthday!

Didn't think you meant Robin Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 20 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

Alfie - Very Happy Although I fear most here are too old for that one - sadly, not me 606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings - Page 3 767733566

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

do you mean too young? Because, sir, you certainly are old enough! Laugh

606v2 Greatest Test Opening Batsmen Rankings - Page 3 3602195817

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 20 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

Spot on, Fists! Very Happy

Enter Facepalm stage left ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 29 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

Unless it is a very well orchestrated wind up, some posters appear to be having difficulty in selecting Barry Richards for a place in the 606 v2 Hall of Fame. Earlier postings on this thread might help to shine a light for those who do not choose to live in darkness.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3