The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exposing the Oscar De la Hoya hypocrisy!!

+16
skidd1
fearlessBamber
azania
Lance
Nico the gman
Bob
Scottrf
Fists of Fury
Waingro
mikeymax71
HumanWindmill
Imperial Ghosty
ShahenshahG
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
lovely_london
TRUSSMAN66
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Exposing the Oscar De la Hoya hypocrisy!! - Page 3 Empty Exposing the Oscar De la Hoya hypocrisy!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 11:20

First topic message reminder :

I know there are some strange people who deny this guy greatness but let's look at the facts...

At the top of his game from 1994-2008....Yep that's 14 years...How many was Hagler there for.....???

How many genuine world class fighters or champions did Hagler beat??? (Duran at 160, Hearns, Minter,Briscoe maybe a few others).....

We know that DelaHoya beat Chavez twice (bonafide great)...Whittaker (bonafide great)....

Sure Hagler beat world class fighters.....we know however that DelaHoya beat 13 champions at or nearly at the top of their game!!

Mayorga, Vargas, Quartey, Sturm, Gatti, Camacho (maybe not), Gonzales, Molina, Paez, Hernandez, Whittaker, Chavez twice..(Not forgetting mosley was contentious twice)

Yes Oscar lost fights but hey I'm always told that Duran lost to fighters at higher weights....Hearns, Hagler, Sims, Laing etc....Yep Oscar lost to some greats too...and he started at 130....

Those defeats don't cost Duran do they....

He didn't clean up a division and reign there for years is another slap....Sorry but he looked for hard fights and the names....More impressive than another so-called great (Pedroza)....Hagler let's face it didn't fancy Spinks who called him out..

In conclusion I know Oscar is a latter modern day fighter but his record and longevity more than matches Hagler...Who has every right to HOF status...This isn't a Hagler bashing thread..

Please give him the respect he's due..one of the best fighters I've had the pleasure of seeing..Bonafide great..

Thankyou..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 11:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistakes)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Exposing the Oscar De la Hoya hypocrisy!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Exposing the Oscar De la Hoya hypocrisy!!

Post by fearlessBamber Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 21:27

Oh yes and Duran vs Hatton is a massacre ala what Paq did to him.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Exposing the Oscar De la Hoya hypocrisy!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Exposing the Oscar De la Hoya hypocrisy!!

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 23:09

Haven't read many of the comments on here, but come on fellas. Hatton against Duran, prime for prime? Duran would outclass him, outmuscle him, outbox him, overpower him. Literally can't believe it's even been discussed.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 23:18

De La Hoya is an all-time great and HOFer - full stop.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 0:00

88Chris05 wrote:Haven't read many of the comments on here, but come on fellas. Hatton against Duran, prime for prime? Duran would outclass him, outmuscle him, outbox him, overpower him. Literally can't believe it's even been discussed.

It was my fault - I made the fantasy match to mock Waingro. Sort of went out of hand.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 0:26

He's a great, alright. I don't think you can have Oscar's longevity and achievements and not be acknowledged as such. No-one missing from his career ledger, either. Of course, there are degrees of greatness - I've always thought that years from now, Oscar will be rated alongside someone like Thomas Hearns, however heretical that might seem. For Truss, that may make particular sense, as he has said for ages, and possibly rightly, that both are underrated. It may be true, but the fact remains that they both had an irksome habit of losing the fights that would have removed any last vestige of doubt.

Oscar would probably be around my top 50, with Hearns maybe a dozen spots higher. Of fighters from the past thirty years or so, I couldn't contemplate placing DLH ahead of men such as Leonard, Jones Jr, Hopkins, Mayweather or Pacquiao and there are a few others who must also have a chance of getting their noses in front. Don't know that it's hypocrisy to underrate him, just that people slant fighters' careers in different ways. Not sure what our resident cabbage adds to this discussion, by the way. The day he agrees with me in any respect, I shall think that I hold a particularly foolish opinion.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 1:49

Truss - I'm an evangelist. I remember him winning the olympic gold and what seemed like a protected path to a world title. I wanted to see him lose. But, in reality I saw a lad never really take the easy route. Always seek out the challenges and, quel surprise, he lost some big fights against great fighters. But in general, he fought the best across 6 weights and won the vast majority. Even some of his losses against greats are disputed (as are a few of his wins). For me, he is one of the best modern boxers. He could have sat back and milked his good looks etc. and taken the easy fights. But, in general, he did the best he could.

For me, he is possibly, the greatest fighter of the modern era. Could have just sat back and milked his looks and stardom but instead sought out the challenges.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 10:36

Absolutely....some people just want the money and some are interested in knowing just how good they really are....

Wish more had Oscar's philosophy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 10:48

Much like Hatton you can't fault his desire but there is more to it than that but at no point have I said he isn't great.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3