The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed

+43
Knowsit17
Riggs
The Galveston Giant
User Name
rodders
TRUSSMAN66
westernosprey
Driver
Celtic Warrior
Mat
Kay Fabe
GG
Fernando
Cari
guildfordbat
Irish Curry
The_Enigma
Cymroglan
Shifty
Ayrshirebhoy
legendkillar
Corporalhumblebucket
dyrewolfe
Buzzman
Soldier_Of_Fortune
ADMIN
School Project
All Time Great
Artful_Dodger
Geordie
Enforcer
Smirnoffpriest
mpc28
The Special Juan
trickstat
Davie
Thomond
RDW
Scottrf
AberdeenSteve
Crimey
ncfc_Tooze
LondonTiger
47 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed - Page 2 Empty FAW announce the death of Gary Speed

Post by LondonTiger Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

No more info other than the banner on BBC Sport website, but wow Sad

Really feel for his family.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed - Page 2 Empty Re: FAW announce the death of Gary Speed

Post by GG Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:29 pm

Extremely sad news Sad RIP Speed, a true Welsh legend Wales rose

GG

Back to top Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed - Page 2 Empty Re: FAW announce the death of Gary Speed

Post by Crimey Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

Shay Given was crying after the minute's silence.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:08 pm

Horrendous news, hard to believe, always one guy I thought highly of as a player, he must have had some serious problems

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:09 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Shay Given was crying after the minute's silence.

It was his pal, played together for years at Newcastle

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:13 pm

Unbelievable news.

RIP Gary Speed.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

Just watching the Liverpool game and they've just done the minutes silence, it's surreal it still hasn't sunk in what's happened

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:23 pm

Moving interview with Robbie Savage on BBC News earlier. He almost broke down crying, he was so shocked and devastated. Robbie said Gary seemed absolutely fine yesterday, and there was nothing in his personal life that would suggest he would do such a thing.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:51 pm

Speed always seemed like a true ambassador of the game. A model professional with an extremely level head on his shoulders.

This has come completely out of the blue. Absolutely staggering news.

RIP Gary. A True Legend.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

What a fantastic ambassador to sport , true gentleman on and off the pitch , inspirational , leader , role model - everything that every player in the modern game should aspire to be. My favorite player of all time

RIP Gary Speed , a legend
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 5:55 pm

Celtic Warrior wrote:Speed always seemed like a true ambassador of the game. A model professional with an extremely level head on his shoulders.

RIP Gary. A True Legend.

+1

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by westernosprey Sun 27 Nov 2011, 6:42 pm

Does anyone think it could be gambling debts or an affair?

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 27 Nov 2011, 6:43 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Celtic Warrior wrote:Speed always seemed like a true ambassador of the game. A model professional with an extremely level head on his shoulders.

RIP Gary. A True Legend.

+1

clap

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:11 pm

You are all jumping the gun...He was found hung..it doesn't mean to say it was suicide does it????

Michael Hutchence...David Carradine and a BBC presenter were found hung too.....

Hope this isn't the case but a guy winning with Wales...millionnaire ten times over...no history of mental health problems and with a beautiful wife and family taking his own life????

Seems unlikely he'd take it..but you know stranger things have happened..

Nice guy...talented and down to Earth...sorry he's gone and rip..

If he did take his own life I'm sorry his last few moments on Earth were so upsetting for him too..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:11 pm

Tragic news. He was a fantastic pro, seemed universally liked and respected and was doing a great with Wales.

RIP.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:35 pm

Apperently, not sure though, a dodgy story is about to break.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:45 pm

Where you heard the rumour from UN?

I wouldn't like to think Speed hung himself, but it's even worse to think someone would do that to him. Police said it wasn't suspicious so they must be quite sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

Why do you think a hanging might not be suspicious?????

think about it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:52 pm

Chill out guys. It was suicide. Nothing more sinister than that (though there will be awkward questions in the next few days). No need to go over it now though. It will remain a big story for some time but I don't think it's time to question the motives yet.

When the reasons come out I hope there isn't a big scandal but now isn't the time to be considering it. For the moment it's the wife and children that need consideration

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

Absolutely...I was just pointing out that some people regard suicide as the cowards way out (I don't) and it may not be the case....

Whatever results...certainly someone to be highly respected and a tragic loss for sure..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:01 pm

it is very tragic, and davie is right, the wife and children need some privacy through this tragic time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:01 pm

Really hope the gutter press leave them be.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:17 pm

Crazy, just watched him on Football Focus yesterday.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:14 pm

He was on MOTD and seemed fine with absolutely no tell tale signs of trouble, yet I some how feel that this wasn't an accident.

Those who know him spoke of nothing being wrong. It just doesn't add up.

Extremely little logic to his hanging.

The picture isn't together but scattered like a puzzle.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:21 pm

Churchill wrote:Really hope the gutter press leave them be.

Nah, the Daily Star will be all over them, looking for a picture of sadness and pretending to be sad when in actual fact (and I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful here at all) they revel in stories like this, something sinister with a well known figure.

I really admired Gary Speed with everything he did to turnaround the Welsh football team. I'll feel better in the morning, I hope.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:39 pm

Churchill wrote:Where you heard the rumour from UN?

I wouldn't like to think Speed hung himself, but it's even worse to think someone would do that to him. Police said it wasn't suspicious so they must be quite sure.

That's not the story he's referring to.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 28 Nov 2011, 1:45 am

Welsh football has lost a servant of unquestionable devotion and character. I would hope he didn't take his own life but the circumstances are for discussing later. For now great respect to a fantastic player and manager while it lasted, couldn't have come at a worse time for Wales. Thoughts go out to his family in these terrible times.

RIP Gary rose

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 28 Nov 2011, 2:48 am

Sad sad news. The volume of and nature of the tributes show how well liked and respected he was. Thoughts are with his family.

RIP

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Mon 28 Nov 2011, 7:17 am

This is really hard to take in, Garry speed was not just a top professional but a top bloke and played the game the way it should be with dedication, passion and commitment. I am so shocked that man of his characteristics would kill himself especially when he had so much to live for in and out of the game, im sure the tabloid journalists will have been digging all night and we might just find out some more information today.

Regardless of your motives, RIP Garry Speed.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 28 Nov 2011, 8:00 am

Some cracking tributes in the papers, especially the broadsheets. The Sun typically miss the point with their headline. Bunch of mindless fools.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 28 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

WHat was the Sun headline King Beer? (Though I dread to think).

I'm stilled shocked at whats happened and am shocked that someone can succeed in such a high pressure job, be an over achiever (and all professional sports stars - particularly footballers are over achievers), be a committed athlete and manage a group of highly paid, highly talented stars can be suffering from depression!

But it's a weird and powerful thing depression, and I suppose being under huge amounts of pressure can bring it on. And it can be deeply personal and private with many close friends/family having no idea about it.

RIP Speedy

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 28 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

No one has said it was depression as far as I can tell.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 28 Nov 2011, 2:46 pm

There's been mention of it in papers and Tweets and links to Stan Collymore's interview from Saturday talking about depression in football - there's nothing official or any sort of proof come out yet - but it would seem more likely that it was depression causing someone to do this, rather than other things like it being accidental (like M Hutchinson).

But I suppose it's a moot point in the end - it's not going to make much difference one way or another what it was - we've still lost (from my POV) a great footballer and role model for youngsters and (seemingly from everyone who knew him personally) a great guy and a good friend.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 02 Dec 2011, 2:16 pm

Being a massive Leeds fan this affected me in a big way, as I grew up with him, so it seemed, as i watched him develop from a kid into a top midfield player who scored goals and created as well as put his foot in.

I watched him and Macallister on Saturday afternnon, on footy focus, and it brought back some great memories, because after watching the garbage that goes on nowadays at Elland Road, brought it all back. Sunday morning I'm watching goals on sunday with Chris kamara and Vinny Jones, and thinking wow, these 2 were also around when Speed was coming through the ranks and also mates, and within minutes the anouncement came that gary had hung himself. Surreal is not the word, I was just gobsmacked.

Whenever some tragedy happens, or someone famouse dies, you can guarantee to get a text message shortly after, and I've laughed with everyone else. The first time I can remember, that this never happened was when Bobby Robson died, So you can only assume that the respect people had for him meant nobody wanted to take a shot. There's no gary Speed jokes flying around, so obviously he's seen as another good guy, and I'm chuffed about that. Although we will probably never know why, unless some garbage red top rag contacted him last Saturday night ......

At Elland Road Tomoz, we will see a massive tribute to Gary, which will include a televised montage of his goals and interviews, also his old team mates from that title winning side which will include his best mate David Batty, his mentor Gordon Strachan and of course Macca. I know there are also tributes planned at Everton, newcastle, Bolton and Sheffield, as well as in Wales.

You never appreciate how good some players wewre, until you don't have them anymore. OK

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 02 Dec 2011, 3:42 pm

OMG - those names are a blast from the past - especially David Batty and Gary McCallister - though I maybe slightly youngser than you and remember Batty and Colin Hendry at Blackburn and Gary Speed being immense at Newcastle.

There was an emotional tribute to him at the Swansea game - and it really says something about a player where he can inspire such respect from rivals around the country - Cardiff and Swansea, Everton and Liverpool, Leeds and Man U and many more...
RIP Speedy

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2