The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed

+43
Knowsit17
Riggs
The Galveston Giant
User Name
rodders
TRUSSMAN66
westernosprey
Driver
Celtic Warrior
Mat
Kay Fabe
GG
Fernando
Cari
guildfordbat
Irish Curry
The_Enigma
Cymroglan
Shifty
Ayrshirebhoy
legendkillar
Corporalhumblebucket
dyrewolfe
Buzzman
Soldier_Of_Fortune
ADMIN
School Project
All Time Great
Artful_Dodger
Geordie
Enforcer
Smirnoffpriest
mpc28
The Special Juan
trickstat
Davie
Thomond
RDW
Scottrf
AberdeenSteve
Crimey
ncfc_Tooze
LondonTiger
47 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed Empty FAW announce the death of Gary Speed

Post by LondonTiger Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:26 pm

No more info other than the banner on BBC Sport website, but wow Sad

Really feel for his family.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed Empty Re: FAW announce the death of Gary Speed

Post by ncfc_Tooze Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm

yeah its on sky website too
only 42
sad news

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed Empty Re: FAW announce the death of Gary Speed

Post by Crimey Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm

Wow Shocked

This is really shocking.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

I am in a complete state of shock. So sudden and unexpected Sad

Thoughts go out to his family.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

A shock, at 42.

Last edited by Scottrf on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

Holy crap - was he not on football focus yesterday??

Very sad news.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:31 pm

Jesus that's shocking. Thoughts with his family, RIP Gary.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

What? WHAT? WHAAAAAT?

All news outlets reporting it now so clearly not a sick hoax - what dreadful news

Obviously no cause of death yet - I wonder if it was an accident - he always struck me as one of th fittest men in football

Davie

Back to top Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed Empty Gary Speed

Post by trickstat Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm

Just heard this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15909277

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm

But he was on Football Focus yesterday!! WTF is going on!!?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm

According to the telegraph he commited suicide! Tragic news, really feel for his family.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:37 pm

Horrible news, am in a state of shock, he looked fit and healthy on football focus yesterday. Just can't believe it. Thoughts go out to his friends and family. A very sad day Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

BBC have just said suicide...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

I cant believe it thats shockin and awful for everyone who knew him

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

RIP.

I feel more shocked at this than any other death outside my family and friends.

True Welsh legend.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:44 pm

Yeah it looks like Suicide....very sad that he should feel the need to do that....

Thoughts to his family....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

As a young Newcastle fan, he was one of my favourite players. He was doing such good things with the Welsh team and he seemed as if he'd be their manager for years to come.

Suicide is a strange thing, was he suffering from depression? If so it would come a day after Stan Collymore spoke out about how serious the illness is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm

Very strange, strange that the Football Association of Wales make the announcement more than anything else. Not the police or his family, would tend to make you think not suspicious circumstances and not natural causes, suicide does seem likely at this stage.

Thought with everyone who knew him.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

that is a real shock....R.I.P, thoughts go out to his family.

Back to top Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed Empty Gary Speed has been found dead at the age of 42.

Post by All Time Great Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

Very tragic news, was an absolute legend. RIP

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

Police say he was found hung.

Haven't felt so upset about a death in football since Sir Bobby Robson. Some reports coming in that the Swansea/Villa game may be called off.

Shows you can't tell how a person is feeling on the inside. Gutted for football, but even more so for his 2 kids.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

Ye....... Telegraph saying it was a suicide.

"The former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton midfielder was found hanged at his home in Chester this morning.
Police say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the 42 year-old's death.
The Football Association of Wales confirmed the news, saying that Speed's family had authorised the release of the information."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8918628/Wales-boss-Gary-Speed-found-dead.html

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:59 pm

Swansea v Villa going ahead. It is going to be incredibly emotional.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:07 pm

Rumours are he took his own life. Absolutely tragic.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:07 pm

Wow sad day

His family are in my thoughts an prayers, obviously puts a lot of things into perspective

RIP Gary

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:08 pm

Hung? Wow. After everything he said on Football Focus about the Wales team and taking them forward. I wasn't paying attention during FF yesterday but I've heard recycled quotes of what he said and it's just shocking.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

I'm pretty much numb at the moment, Speed was a player that played for rivals like Leeds and Newcastle, but he was a player that you never booed. You gave him the upmost respect because he was a player that played with passion and a love of the game and you certainly wished he was wearing the colors of your shirt instead.
A truly great loss.

RIP Gary Speed rose

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

Absolutely shocked by this news.

RIP

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

Hopefully we'll see some positives out of this tragedy. All of Gary Speed's friends are now on Twitter saying how they couldn't ever tell, speaking to him the day before he had seemed fine. You can't judge a book by its cover. It'd be good to see some investment into looking into depression and causes of suicide after his death.

R.I.P.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

FAW announce the death of Gary Speed Empty R.I.P Gary Speed

Post by Buzzman Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

Just heard about the death of Garry Speed, in what seems to be, a suicide.

The former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton midfielder was found hanged at his home in Chester this morning.

Police say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the 42 year-old's death.

The Football Association of Wales confirmed the news, saying that Speed's family had authorised the release of the information.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am on Sunday 27 November 2011, Cheshire police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntington, Chester.

"Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

The former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton midfielder was found hanged at his home in Chester this morning.

The Football Association of Wales confirmed the news, saying that Speed's family had authorised the release of the information.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am on Sunday 27 November 2011, Cheshire police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntington, Chester.

"Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

"There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death the family have requested that they are left in peace to grieve at this difficult time. A family tribute will be released at a later date but not today."

Following news of his death, tributes from the world of football were paid.

The Manchester United striker Michael Owen, who lives near the star, tweeted: "Just cannot believe the news regarding Gary Speed. We waved at each other a couple of days ago dropping our kids off at school. I'm numb."

Former Wales international Robbie Savage wrote on Twitter: "He was upbeat on phone yesterday we were laughing together , talking football and dancing he was a great teammate and a great friend #RIP."

I'm totally shocked and can't believe it. Sad day for football, my deepest sympathy to his family RIP Gary Speed

Buzzman

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:33 pm

Oh my god, thats awful!

So sad that he felt the need to do that. Can't understand it as there weren't any reports of his having any personal problems (that I'm aware of).

My thoughts go out to his family. Can't begin to imagine how they must be feeling.

Rest In Peace Gary Speed. One of football's good guys.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

Well then, that was certainly a tribute during the minute's silence...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:36 pm

I think a minute's applause is more appropiate for such a fantastic player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:36 pm

Wales rose RIP

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:37 pm

I am in utter shock at this news. Devastating for the game. Just so difficult to take in. One of the few legends of the Premier League. His contribution to football was second to none. A selfless player. Thoughts to his family and friends at this time. Sad

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayrshirebhoy Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

Rip Gary speed Sad

Ayrshirebhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

Churchill wrote:I think a minute's applause is more appropiate for such a fantastic player.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I was a shocked at first but the applause and chanting were much more fitting than silence.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

Oh, when I first read your post I thought you were saying it wasn't appropriate.

Minute's applause should follow at next weekend's games as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

I also like to point out that in an age where you see footballers staggering out of nightclubs and caught up in extramarital affairs, Speed himself was never caught up in any of that. A role model for youngsters wishing to aspire in the game of football.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

Gutting, I feel sorry for his wife and kids.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

Should these matches be going ahead, especially the Swansea-Villa one?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:54 pm

R.I.P Gary Wales

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:57 pm

Just shocked & stunned hearing about all of this.

Never thought Gary Speed had any, well had not shown any personal problems. Always seemed such an upbeat and happy person. So to hear what I'm reading here just shocks me even more. Really upsetting news.

RIP Gary Speed. Fantastic Player.

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

I only just saw this, I thought my eyes were seeing things, only 42!

RIP rose
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

Particularly sad that a man who played football so long should leave life so early.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

Absolutely shocked. I cant believe this has happened.
Thoughts and prayers are with Gary's family and friends at this devastating time.

RIP Gary, a Legend gone but never forgotten. rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:09 pm

Although I'm not a football supporter (both of my brothers are big Wales fans) I remember Gary playing for Wales very well. My understanding is that his becoming Welsh manager offered new hope to the international squad, and they seemed to be doing well. To hear that a young family man has taken his own life is desperately sad, and he must've been a tormented soul. I hope he can rest in peace, and his family and friends are left to grieve in peace.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

The Newcastle Chronicle have just published Gary's NUFC career in pictures, some great ones:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/multimedia/newcastle-united/images/2011/11/27/gary-speed-s-nufc-career-in-pictures-72703-29851107/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

Absolutely shocked by this news , one of the good guys in the game and a true gentleman.

Thoughts are with his family and friends rose

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

Lovely tirbute at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea this afternoon:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15910765.stm

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next