The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland will pick players for the future RWC come the Six Nations this year...!

3 posters

Go down

Gatland will pick players for the future RWC come the Six Nations this year...! Empty Gatland will pick players for the future RWC come the Six Nations this year...!

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:40 am

Revealed in an interview regarding the Wales vs Australia match in December Gatland has revealed that he will be selecting with the future in mind.

"If this was the first game of the Six Nations we would be selecting players who we know will be around for the next World Cup” said the Kiwi coach.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/11/17/wales-absentees-give-warren-gatland-selection-problems-for-australia-clash-91466-29790731/#ixzz1dwwq0iDS

So we could well see a mass of forced retirements in early January with several players unlikely to still be young enoug or in form in four years time.

Great opportunity for young players in Wales though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Gatland will pick players for the future RWC come the Six Nations this year...! Empty Re: Gatland will pick players for the future RWC come the Six Nations this year...!

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

Great plethora of young players could be about to emerge for the six nations.

This is great, you can already see in the regional teams during the LV= cup that young guys want to press for Welsh selection, they see it as being achievable after successful selections of players like Faletau, Priestland, Lloyd Williams and Scot Williams this RWC.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Gatland will pick players for the future RWC come the Six Nations this year...! Empty Re: Gatland will pick players for the future RWC come the Six Nations this year...!

Post by wales606 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

Im guessing this means no more Byrne or Stephen Jones.

Ryan Jones and Mike Phillips are borderline

Gethin and Adam will be kept with the hope that 1 or both will still be up for it in 4 years.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

"Gethin and Adam will be kept with the hope that 1 or both will still be up for it in 4 years"

Like a fine wine, props age more slowly than everyone else. 35 is only about 25 in "prop years" RedWine
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:16 pm

wales606 wrote:Im guessing this means no more Byrne or Stephen Jones.

Gethin and Adam will be kept with the hope that 1 or both will still be up for it in 4 years.
I agree...

I imagine border line players based in wales will have the advantage. though there were reports of Gethin, Charteris going to france for big contracts which would render them useless to Wales.

I thought we had got rid of that situation where as soon as we do well league poached all our talent, now it is french and english clubs...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:19 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

I agree...

I imagine border line players based in wales will have the advantage. though there were reports of Gethin, Charteris going to france for big contracts which would render them useless to Wales.

I thought we had got rid of that situation where as soon as we do well league poached all our talent, now it is french and english clubs...!

I can see Gethin, Charteris and Hook still being selected while in France - Phillips may struggle in the future if his unavailability means that Lloyd Williams gets a run, or Webb gets an opportunity.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I agree...

I can see Gethin, Charteris and Hook still being selected while in France - Phillips may struggle in the future if his unavailability means that Lloyd Williams gets a run, or Webb gets an opportunity.
Its all about building depth in all positions, for the next ten years or so we have three different scrumhalfs all contesting for spots in Williams Webb and Knoyle, below them there is even more talent.

AS we know front five players of a decent ability come a long less frequently than good backs. That said over a year ago we were worried sick about our backrow. Now we have a decent pool to choose from with some exceptional players in pole position.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down