The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shaun Edwards staying?

+11
nathan
majesticimperialman
Cymroglan
TycroesOsprey
welshy824
gelodge
maestegmafia
Ospreydragon
BlueNote
Smirnoffpriest
wales606
15 posters

Go down

Shaun Edwards staying? Empty Shaun Edwards staying?

Post by wales606 Sun 13 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

According to Stephen Jones at the times, Shaun Edwards has resigned with Wales -

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/rugby_union/Internationals/article821056.ece

Yet, on the same day Delme Parfitt at the Western Mail is preparing Wales for life after Edwards after a 5 minute non-commital phone conversation with Warren Gatland

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-columnists/2011/11/13/delme-parfitt-where-next-for-wales-after-shaun-edwards-91466-29765388/

Believe what you will...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Shaun Edwards staying? Empty Re: Shaun Edwards staying?

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

who to trust out of Steve Jones or the Western Fail - talk about a hobsons choice...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

Interesting comment from Jerry Guscott on the Beeb:

"I think it would be hard for Edwards to leave the Welsh environment given the potential of those players compared to those in the English squad."

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:28 pm

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

I think it would be good for Edwards to stay with Wales. He has the respect of the squad and the coaches.

If he was to become a full time member of the coaching staff I would like to see him get involved with assisting the regions defensive sessions too.

I remember when the Regions were having a tough time in the HEC last year Warren Gatland was on Scrum V and he said that in all his four years in Wales he had never had a call asking advice on the HEC he won from any of the Regional coaches.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun 13 Nov 2011, 1:10 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I think it would be good for Edwards to stay with Wales.

It would benefit Wales a lot more than the other way round.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 13 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

well i mean would you as edwards want to go to a english side who atm is a complete mess with politics and attitude of players, or stay with a happy confident welsh camp who at a very young age were 4th in the world cup?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun 13 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

Well, coaches worth their salt prefer more of a challenge, but the main point is that those wouldn't be the only two options open to him. Head coach/manager at a lower tier nation would have been a big step up in responsibility and new challenge that he could have gone after for instance.

"who at a very young age were 4th in the world cup"

You make it sound like they were teenagers. The average age of the Welsh squad was 26 and most squads' average age was 27/28.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 13 Nov 2011, 2:37 pm

gelodge wrote:Well, coaches worth their salt prefer more of a challenge, but the main point is that those wouldn't be the only two options open to him. Head coach/manager at a lower tier nation would have been a big step up in responsibility and new challenge that he could have gone after for instance.

You make it sound like they were teenagers. The average age of the Welsh squad was 26 and most squads' average age was 27/28.

Are you trying to imply Edwards isnt worth his salt because he chose not to go to a tier 2 nation as head coach? if so thats completly ridiculous.

As for the youth of the welsh team, one of them is a teenager and Take out Wellies and Shane and the average age drops somewhat. Also look at the make up of the first team. Nine players 26 or under 7 of those under 24. Out of the squad only 4 or 5 wont be in contention in four years time. Only the Oz team were younger at the RWC. I think the statement is fair.

England fans and sour grapes, shocker! thumbsup

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Nov 2011, 3:08 pm

gelodge wrote:

Why do you say that? Wales have the players and Edwards is not the greatest coach in the world. He is good but there are others better that we could replace him with.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun 13 Nov 2011, 3:44 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
gelodge wrote:Well, coaches worth their salt prefer more of a challenge, but the main point is that those wouldn't be the only two options open to him. Head coach/manager at a lower tier nation would have been a big step up in responsibility and new challenge that he could have gone after for instance.

Are you trying to imply Edwards isnt worth his salt because he chose not to go to a tier 2 nation as head coach? if so thats completly ridiculous.

As for the youth of the welsh team, one of them is a teenager and Take out Wellies and Shane and the average age drops somewhat. Also look at the make up of the first team. Nine players 26 or under 7 of those under 24. Out of the squad only 4 or 5 wont be in contention in four years time. Only the Oz team were younger at the RWC. I think the statement is fair.

England fans and sour grapes, shocker! thumbsup

You obviously didn't check my location, or your geography isn't up to much.

I didn't imply that about Edwrads at all, in fact I was suggesting that he was very much worth his salt and disagreeing with welshy824 that he would have shied away from a tougher challenge, the more likely reason why he is staying at Wales being that he wants to see though a job that he's started and feels he has made good progress in.

"young age" would have been valid "very young age" is hyperbole. Yes, we all know North was the 2nd youngest player at the WC, but several teams had players who were within a year of him. Similar claims about swapping out a couple of the oldest players could equally be made about several teams. The fact of the matter is that there wasn't a big difference in the average age of the squads. Oz & Wales may have had the youngest, but the bulk of the teams were very similar, the average average age was 27, Wales average was 26.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun 13 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
gelodge wrote:

Why do you say that? Wales have the players and Edwards is not the greatest coach in the world. He is good but there are others better that we could replace him with.

Ok, which coach would you rather have that has more than 4 national championships, 2 HC titles, a 6N grandslam and a Lions tour to his name?

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 13 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

Ah gelodge I didnt check your location and humbly apologise.

HOwever I do have to disagree on the age basis, you have to look at teh make up of the respective nations first 22. On that basis I think you would find Wales had a considerably younger team than other teams in teh RWC(spsrt from Oz). Yep for us players like Powell, Byrne, Wellies, Shane, Ryan Jones, were our old guard but only Shane would make the first team and for the QF against France wellies wasnt even on the bench. Contrast that to the old guard in other sides who were almost all first choice. Irelands old guard for instance.

Our two first choice props are an area of concern both turning thirty but both could well make it next time around and their annointed successors both in their early twenties.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun 13 Nov 2011, 6:14 pm

Not really typical to compare to Ireland though, we had the oldest squad at the WC.

I still maintain that they didn't have a "very young squad", just a bit more than some. Teams like Aus, England, USA, Canada, Georgia & Russia all had very similar numbers of young players in their starting 22.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Sun 13 Nov 2011, 7:23 pm

He's signed a 4 year contract! Brilliant news.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 13 Nov 2011, 7:45 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15713308.stm

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

Get in happy days Yahoo
It would be like having no butter on your toast having Gats without Edward's,
His staying with Wales is a big statement on how far Wales have come and how far they can go,maybe a World Cup final next time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

Interesting that he wants to work in the English Prem still instead of working with the Blues - but good that Wales are his primary employers. Good news, and I suppose at least him working in England will bring a different perspective to the Wales coaching team and allowing him to keep an eye on opposition players.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:31 pm

I am pleased for Edwards to be honest, i did not believe that he wanted to be apart of the England set up at all. But it does seem a little strange that he still wants to coach in the English prem.

Maybe he feels a kind double loyalty, inpart to the Welsh team and also to the English prem teams.

Only time will tell if Edwards and Wales made the right choice.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

Maybe it would be to cosy for the players if he coached them at Regional level?
Or just prefers having a hand in the English game?

What ever reasons im just happy he is with Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:23 am

There's talk of him coaching an English premiership side 1 day a week in the papers this morning. The mirror (and yes I know its the mirror) says its Leicester. We certainly need some help on defence!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:20 am

It seems a bit strange that it's only 1 day a week as no matter how good a coach some one is there's not a huge amount you can do in 1 day.

BBC news mentioned he could do sessions for Welsh Premiership clubs, which would be interesting but again would be on a much more ad-hoc basis.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:46 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:It seems a bit strange that it's only 1 day a week as no matter how good a coach some one is there's not a huge amount you can do in 1 day.

BBC news mentioned he could do sessions for Welsh Premiership clubs, which would be interesting but again would be on a much more ad-hoc basis.

Im a little disappointed he isnt going to be working with the Blues - they need a strong character to sort out some of the back room issues, and who better than Shaun Edwards answering directly to the WRU. As it is the problems behind the scenes are only going to continue as nobody is going to be able to move PT from the chairmans seat.

Seems odd that it is an English team, i'm guessing Shaun insisted on it, or Leicester (or whoever) offered a lot of money to the WRU to help finance Shaun's contract (which the regions couldn't match?)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:14 pm

I think it's Shaun's idea to be honest (don't know just guessing) as he'd like to know what's going on in England and with the English players. It would have been good for the Blues and Wales to have him, and he wouldn't need to travel far at all.

I did like one of the coaches idea's to have all the Welsh coaches join the regions outside of the international windows to help the regions and help sort out problems (like Scarlets defence/scrum last season, or Blues attack)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:57 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I did like one of the coaches idea's to have all the Welsh coaches join the regions outside of the international windows to help the regions and help sort out problems (like Scarlets defence/scrum last season, or Blues attack)

Or the Dragons' drainage... Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

wales606 wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:It seems a bit strange that it's only 1 day a week as no matter how good a coach some one is there's not a huge amount you can do in 1 day.

Im a little disappointed he isnt going to be working with the Blues - they need a strong character to sort out some of the back room issues, and who better than Shaun Edwards answering directly to the WRU. As it is the problems behind the scenes are only going to continue as nobody is going to be able to move PT from the chairmans seat.

Seems odd that it is an English team, i'm guessing Shaun insisted on it, or Leicester (or whoever) offered a lot of money to the WRU to help finance Shaun's contract (which the regions couldn't match?)
I believe it's something to do with his family.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

That will take more than a coach to sort out (or a couple of kids with brooms!)

Think I might swap my Dragons Vs Blues ticket (as it will probably be rearranged for midweek or Christmas when I can't make it) for the Dragons Perpignan game

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

It's going to be strange going down Dave Parade for a Thursday night match!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:19 am

Don't get me wrong I'm gutted England have missed out on Edwards services again due to the disorganized rabble called the RFU, but I'm sure during the 6 nations many welsh fans wanted his and Gatlands heads, OK Wales reached the semi finals but you did lose 3 games in the end, OK the 3rd place game doesn't count for much but Wales still failed to beat SA, FRA and AUS, have they really made progress? I'm not to sure they have, Edwards was struggling at Wasps hence why he quit so is another 4 years really going to help Wales?
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:03 am

BATH_BTGOG wrote:OK Wales reached the semi finals but you did lose 3 games in the end, OK the 3rd place game doesn't count for much but Wales still failed to beat SA, FRA and AUS, have they really made progress?

The three games we lost were due to missed kicks. Shaun Edwards is our defence coach. I don't see what you're trying to say - unless you just fancy a dig.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

I'd just ignore him Luckless - he's always on a wind-up

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

Shaun Edwards wrote:Coming back off the Rugby World Cup you can see a lot of potential in the Wales team over the next few years and I want to be a part of that.

Warren is obviously our boss and we have a pretty tight bunch of coaches underneath him: Me, Robin [McBryde], Rob [Howley] and Jenks [Neil Jenkins].

We're all loyal to our boss and hopefully we can guide those young players to be remembered as great Welsh internationals, not just as Welsh internationals.

There was talk of potentially England making me an offer in the future, but I have to live in the here and now.
The England coaches are still in place and I'm not the sort of person who pitches after another man's job.

What's in the future is in the future and all I'm thinking about is beating Australia on December 3rd.

I was very impressed by the speed and professionalism, the way [WRU group chief executive] Roger Lewis and the WRU have acted and obviously I'm already very happy in Wales.

I'm happy with the coaching structure that we have in Wales and happy to be working with a very strong and developing team.

I'm definitely going to do more with the youngsters now as they build their careers and hopefully towards the end getting capped.

I'll be doing sessions with the youngsters from 16, 18, 20s, which I'm very much looking forward to.

It's all about making sure those guys are developing the correct and proper way.

Good man Shaun...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:57 am

That sounds good that he'll be working with youngsters - maybe this is a small step towards increasing the skill set that our youngsters will have before they get to regional level.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

Everything is all about the youngsters. Its great.

https://www.606v2.com/t18262-cymru-am-byth

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 15 Nov 2011, 11:27 am

Do you have a link to that Shaun Edwards quotation, Maesteg?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 11:46 am

Thats a good thread maes

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Nov 2011, 11:57 am

Smirnoff

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15730198.stm

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 15 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
BATH_BTGOG wrote:OK Wales reached the semi finals but you did lose 3 games in the end, OK the 3rd place game doesn't count for much but Wales still failed to beat SA, FRA and AUS, have they really made progress?

The three games we lost were due to missed kicks. Shaun Edwards is our defence coach. I don't see what you're trying to say - unless you just fancy a dig.

This isn't a dig its what happened plus I seem to remember Wales not having the best 6 nations in their history, Jesus you're sensitive I thought this was a discussion board.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

Bath, I don't see how losing matches through missed kicks can be a defence coach's fault. Can you enlighten me?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

Because you still lost by conceding more points than the other team plus it was the defence which gave away penalties in the 1st place so it is a defence issue, kicks do get missed in games that's life, especially when you have a inconsistent kicker like Hook.

My point was that it wasn't long ago (pre world cup) some Welsh fans wanted to see the back of him, therefore signing him for another 4 years seems to me to be a bit of a gamble, one swallow doesn't make a summer

This isn't a dig by the way!
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

Bath, it's true that some Welsh fans wanted a shake-up in the Welsh coaching set-up - I was among them, and I'd still like to see Rob Howley given the heave-ho. But I was quite happy with Shaun Edwards and I don't recall anyone calling for his head. Gatland's, yes, but not Shaun Edwards's.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 15 Nov 2011, 11:58 pm

I have to concur - I'm can't recall many people calling for Edwards to leave.

They were calling for Gatland's head as he kept picking Bennet, JT, Hook at fullback and my gran at scrum half - fortunately for him a couple of the players finally repaid him with some form and a couple of new caps showed a touch of class e.g. North and Toby F.

Any how....

... can anyone explain to me why Edwards has to keep his hand in with an English club of his choosing one day a week? Is it Sale?

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:04 am

I don't think he will have time.

But Edwards states he will continue to live in London, he has a fourteen year old son there, an important part of his life.

I imagine should he find a role in England it will be with a london based club.

Hopefully London welsh, be great to see them back at the top of the English leagues again. Seems many moons ago since they were a top club in England.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:10 am

Perhaps he should have the Friday off and have a pint in the King Alf then a pizza in Al's to round it off.

... and , if he moved his son to wales perhaps he could be welsh qualified? good pedigree an all that?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:14 am

I think Edwards has a welsh grandfather, hence the Edwards part of the name.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:46 am

Rumour taht were trying to get Graham Rowntree and that McBryde is leaving.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/8892583/Wales-may-lure-England-assistant-coach-Graham-Rowntree-to-join-Warren-Gatlands-team.html

Hes a good coach but would prefer to see a welshman being developed further.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:07 am

I agree with your sentiments regarding seeing a Welsh coach being developed further but I would trust Gatland to choose who he wants to do the job well, welsh coaches still need to prove themselves at regional level before being handed the reigns.

Gatland apparently knows Rowntree well and values his input, i remember Gatland being quoted for saying that he asked Rowntree what he thought of an Ozzie scrum during the AIs a few years ago, they obviously talk regularly, so this isnt a massive surprise.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 16 Nov 2011, 4:06 am

I just think its amazing how much interest there is in a defence/assistant coach. Not saying anything about how good he is or not. I can imagine getting all excited about a head coach but not an assistant.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down