The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What next for Katsidis?

+13
Soldier_Of_Fortune
coxy0001
Valero's Conscience
smashingstormcrow
Nico the gman
Fists of Fury
88Chris05
John Bloody Wayne
mikeymax71
AlexHuckerby
OasisBFC
BALTIMORA
BallchinianMuffwig
17 posters

Go down

What next for Katsidis? Empty What next for Katsidis?

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun Nov 06 2011, 11:21

Well someone had to lose, I hate to say it but the big guy looked past it, few years ago he'd probably have won that easily. Time for Katsidis to retire or is there anyone at LW or maybe LWW that is a big name you'd fancy seeing him in with first?

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

What next for Katsidis? Empty Re: What next for Katsidis?

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Nov 06 2011, 13:55

He's not gonna achieve anything big unless by a fluke. He'll be a gatekeeper now. I do think he's slipped a bit, and that helped Burns but let's not undermine what was still an impressive performance from the Scot, especially given that many expected him to be steamrolled, myself included.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun Nov 06 2011, 16:33

he should call it a day.
he'll never be world champ.

and to think he was calling out khan. idiot.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Nov 06 2011, 17:25

Let's not call Katsidis an idiot, he believed in himself, there's absoluterly nothing wrong with that. He was favourite to win and most expected him to win, so no shame in that at all.

Yes he was past it, but in a similarish way to Hatton - Tsyzu, though not on the same level of course, great win for Burns full credit absolutely brilliant, nothing wrong with that.

He was odds on to get pancaked ala Mitchell so to win and win with a clear gameplan was incredible, so great for Burns but I guess there is a question mark as to whether he can match up to the real elite level of the Lightweight Division.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sun Nov 06 2011, 19:18

To be honest Katsidis has been past it for a while and this could easily have happened when he fought Mitchell, but Kevin chose fight him instead of sticking to a plan. Although he is not what he used to be, any man wishing to stand in front of him and exchange punches will still be in for a hard night.

Still would pay to watch him against Rios and Maidana, as for however long it lasts it will be a war.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Nov 06 2011, 19:26

I think he should stick at 140. He'd still be big at light welter and wouldn't risk being drained.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Nov 06 2011, 19:46

I'm not sure if there's anywhere else for him to go now, and I'd like to see him retire, particularly as fighters with his style carrying on well in to their thirties doesn't tend to bode well at all.

It's all well and good speculating that we'd buy a fight featuring him against the likes of Maidana or Rios, given that he's a fine value for money fighter, but how long will he be able to keep falling in to these kind of big fights when he consistently falls short at the highest level, or something closely resembling it? Don't think he really deserves any more of these marquee fights right now, and how much longer can he keep being presented as a big name when he loses all his fights of high consequence?

Retirement would be the ideal option, for me. He's been a fine servant to boxing, but I'm not really sure if he has anything noteworthy left to give.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Nov 06 2011, 20:00

Up to him really, certainly wouldn't shout at him for retiring now, he's been shown up at the highest level a fair few times now and has taken some big punishment in some of those. He's never going to make it to the highest level now, so unless he wants a few more decent fight, I think it's game over.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun Nov 06 2011, 20:11

I'd go with retirement, too. Burns is a decent fighter, but Katsidis of old would have caused him a fair few more problems than that.

As Chris says, a fine servant to the sport, highly enjoyable to watch, and he doesn't owe anyone anything. He should go out with his head held high and before he loses to any more sub-world level fighters.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Nov 06 2011, 20:18

dont know if burns is sub-world level cant being written off

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun Nov 06 2011, 21:40

Katsidis should retire but won't,the warrior inside him will keep him fighting unfortunately.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Mon Nov 07 2011, 08:53

I feel a bit sorry for Katsidis - I think he is unlucky never to have won a world title. OK, he has fallen short against the likes of Casamayor and Marquez, but plenty of guys manage to pick up belts without ever getting in the ring with anyone of that calibre.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon Nov 07 2011, 09:02

Katsidas is good, strong, full of heart......but not world class level. He's not a million miles away but enough to lose every time he steps up to world level.

The kind of fighter at this stage in their career where you want to see him retire with his marbles intact but feel he'll carry on, doubt he's made mega money as well.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Nov 07 2011, 09:18

smashingstormcrow wrote:I feel a bit sorry for Katsidis - I think he is unlucky never to have won a world title. OK, he has fallen short against the likes of Casamayor and Marquez, but plenty of guys manage to pick up belts without ever getting in the ring with anyone of that calibre.
Cleverley, Alvarez, Chavez Jr, Povetkin...Haye? Plenty of them around, I agree.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Nov 07 2011, 09:18

Anyone else disgusted that Burns is being hailed as a 2 weight world champion? Almost makes me sick!

Alex, might seem a little harsh me calling Burns sub-world level but I do feel this is the case, given that he moved up to avoid Broner and is yet to step in with a genuinely world class fighter. Maybe I should reserve judgement for now, though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon Nov 07 2011, 09:29

Katsidis has been one of my favourite fighters for some time now, sadly i don't think he'll ever win a title which is a bit sad as he's been in some pretty memorable fights.

Threw it away against Casamayor in another one of his humdingers, was up on the cards before being dropped by a massive left.

That version of him would've demolished Burns, sad as it is it's probably time for him to call time on his career.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Nov 07 2011, 09:34

Indeed Coxy, spot on there.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Nov 07 2011, 09:47

Fists of Fury wrote:Anyone else disgusted that Burns is being hailed as a 2 weight world champion? Almost makes me sick!

Alex, might seem a little harsh me calling Burns sub-world level but I do feel this is the case, given that he moved up to avoid Broner and is yet to step in with a genuinely world class fighter. Maybe I should reserve judgement for now, though.

I don't actually and I think he is underrated. Most thought Burns was going to get pancaked by Kats but after he deals with him quite well, people are shouting Kats is finished. Do people think Kats was finished when he fought Gurrero and started to refer to Gurrero as the second coming?

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Mon Nov 07 2011, 10:21; edited 1 time in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Nov 07 2011, 09:49

There does seem to be a lot of people changing there tune.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Mon Nov 07 2011, 15:35

Valero's Conscience wrote:Katsidas is good, strong, full of heart......but not world class level. He's not a million miles away but enough to lose every time he steps up to world level.

Maybe. But how do you define "world level" though? I'd pick a peak Katsidis to beat quite a few of the guys who have held belts at LW and LWW over the past few years.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Nov 07 2011, 15:38

smashingstormcrow wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:Katsidas is good, strong, full of heart......but not world class level. He's not a million miles away but enough to lose every time he steps up to world level.
Maybe. But how do you define "world level" though? I'd pick a peak Katsidis to beat quite a few of the guys who have held belts at LW and LWW over the past few years.
Why? Doesn't really have any exceptional wins.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon Nov 07 2011, 15:54

name one world level opponent katsidis has ever beaten. hes not past it, hes just a banger who happens to be entertaining. he will probably get a few more match-ups against top prospects

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Nov 07 2011, 16:01

Fists of Fury wrote:Anyone else disgusted that Burns is being hailed as a 2 weight world champion? Almost makes me sick!

well not for me... i mean to be fair to the guy in his two attempts to win world titles hes been written off by most if not all with the martinez fight and has come out with a good gameplan and put in real tough gritty performances... cant say im that disgusted...

also as i said previously burns was huge for a super feather has never been untruthful in the past to my knowledge so i believe him that he was really struggling with the weight...

plus even you yourself thought kats would knock him out (me too) hes taken on two big challenges in different weight classes and has answered them... he hasnt been beaten since hes improved... so i think we should celebrate him and say kudos to what hes done so far personally...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon Nov 07 2011, 16:05

AlexHuckerby wrote:

well not for me... i mean to be fair to the guy in his two attempts to win world titles hes been written off by most if not all with the martinez fight and has come out with a good gameplan and put in real tough gritty performances... cant say im that disgusted...

also as i said previously burns was huge for a super feather has never been untruthful in the past to my knowledge so i believe him that he was really struggling with the weight...

plus even you yourself thought kats would knock him out (me too) hes taken on two big challenges in different weight classes and has answered them... he hasnt been beaten since hes improved... so i think we should celebrate him and say kudos to what hes done so far personally...

burns has improved massively and deserves credit, but hes gonna have to beat somebody better than katsidis before he gets a genuine belt at lightweight

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by jamestoney'spiemachine Mon Nov 07 2011, 16:11

i personally think he could well carry on, pauli malignaggi has made quite a bit of money being a gate keeper, kats will see this and think,if he can why can't i?

only problem is that kats is too easy to hit and liable to suffer more from wear and tear

jamestoney'spiemachine

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Mon Nov 07 2011, 16:23

Scottrf wrote:Why? Doesn't really have any exceptional wins.

True enough. But take someone like Souleymane M'baye... he held the WBA title, I would have definitely picked Katsidis to beat him. I also reckon Katsidis would have had a great chance against Paul Malignaggi. Of course I really this is all pretty flimsy... but my point is that lesser fighters than Katsidis have held titles at around that weight.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down