The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns vs Katsidis

+22
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Lance
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Union Cane
Scottrf
BoxingFan88
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
hogey
The Galveston Giant
Sugar Boy Sweetie
no-mas
KingMonkey
bhb001
milkyboy
BALTIMORA
School Project
Nico the gman
AlexHuckerby
BallchinianMuffwig
TRUSSMAN66
manos de piedra
KO-KING
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Burns vs Katsidis Empty Burns vs Katsidis

Post by KO-KING Sun 23 Oct 2011, 6:16 pm

On paper a exciting fight, which i see Burns winning about 116-112 on scorecards.
However burns is a 5/4 underdog in this fight, Is there something that am missing?
Katsidis is a tough fighter with good power but is a contender level fighter where as Burns in my opinion is World Class.

I dont see katsidis as being the bigger man although Burns is coming up he was a Vey big Super Featherweight fighter. Is there a reason why Katsidis is the favourite that am not seeing and who do you guys see winning this?

Burns has this one Right?

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Burns vs Katsidis Empty Re: Burns vs Katsidis

Post by manos de piedra Sun 23 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

I would make Burns an even bigger underdog to be honest.

This is a step up for him, in weight and against a hard hitter. Unless Burns can find a level and outbox Katsidas from distance, which I dont think he has, then I see Katsidas winning, possibly by stoppage. Might be an element that Katsidas is now a bit shopworn having had numerous wars but I would question Burns in many departments here including if he has the power, durability or all around boxing skills to deal with a guy like Katsidas.

Much as I like Burns, I havent been convinced hes world class. He was in a weak division and I think the extra weight, and quality in the lightweight division may see him struggle as despite him being a big super featherweight he never struck me as a big hitter.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 23 Oct 2011, 6:36 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I would make Burns an even bigger underdog to be honest.

This is a step up for him, in weight and against a hard hitter. Unless Burns can find a level and outbox Katsidas from distance, which I dont think he has, then I see Katsidas winning, possibly by stoppage. Might be an element that Katsidas is now a bit shopworn having had numerous wars but I would question Burns in many departments here including if he has the power, durability or all around boxing skills to deal with a guy like Katsidas.

Much as I like Burns, I havent been convinced hes world class. He was in a weak division and I think the extra weight, and quality in the lightweight division may see him struggle as despite him being a big super featherweight he never struck me as a big hitter.

He has no power but surely he has too much boxing skills for Katsidis, i think katsidis is a bit past it now after recent fights vs JMM and Gurrero

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 23 Oct 2011, 6:46 pm

Im not convinced he does have enough skill really. His lack of power is a big negative in terms of trying to keep a livewire like Katsidas off of you as he will try cut off the ring and chop you down. If you dont have power to make him think twice or back him up then I think Burns risks being walked down much like Mitchell was. His tall height also leaves his body vulnerable to Kattsidas who likes to target there. The guys that have beaten Katsidas in the past would be a level or two up from how I see Burns at the moment. Especially given hes the guy moving up a division. I certainly dont see Burns having the kind of pedigree, shot selection or counter punching skills as the likes of JMM, Guerrero and Casamayor. For me Burns is closer to the Earls and Mitchells. Even if Katsidas have dropped off a but I still suspect he will be too much of a handful for Burns.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:06 pm

Not convinced it's an exciting matchup..

Had hoped Katsidis would have retired after the dreadful lampooning he took when losing his crown.....When you consider how much other abuse he has taken I'm saddened he's getting this fight.

Burns lobsided decision or cuts stoppage..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:38 pm

This one is kind of win win for me either way as I'm a Scottish Katsidis fan so I've refrained from making predictions so far but I honestly can't see Burns having anything in his armory to beat Katsidis, although Ricky primarily spars against "brawling" type fighters in the gym apparently hence why he had such an effective performance against Martinez, I think its true about only the world class fighters being able to hold off the Aussie

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:41 pm

Katsidis hits hard and doesn't stop coming forward with lethal punches.
Burns never had a particularly great chin at Super Feather don't think he will enjoy taking punches of a very hard hitting puncher like Katsidis.
Burns carried next to no power at Super Feather, Katsidis has an incredibly good chin, and will easily walk through anything he throws.
Mitchell is a far superior boxer and harder hitter than Burns and far more elusive but yet he got battered, can't see Burns surviving the full 12 personally.
No doubt Katsidis has seen better days, but should have far too much to for Burns. Just too strong too hard and too big.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not convinced it's an exciting matchup..

Had hoped Katsidis would have retired after the dreadful lampooning he took when losing his crown.....When you consider how much other abuse he has taken I'm saddened he's getting this fight.

A guy moving away trying to box and a guy that comes forward with relentless pressure? The best type of match up usually.
Not exciting? Seriously Truss what is with you recently? Do you just want to upset the apple cart constantly?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

Once Kastidas knows Burns doesn't have the fire power to hurt him I think Kastidas will be relentless in his pursuit of Burns.
Kastidas will look at this as the last chance saloon, I feel he'll get to Burns and once he does his punch power will take its effect, late stoppage for Kastidas for me.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:23 pm

Katsidis was put on this Earth for one thing and one thing only... to beat British boxers.

Burns is going to get chewed up!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

A guy moving away trying to box and a guy that comes forward with relentless pressure? The best type of match up usually.
Not exciting? Seriously Truss what is with you recently? Do you just want to upset the apple cart constantly?
I personally like fights with TWO guys who come forward relentlessly. Bloodbaths, generally.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:53 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

I personally like fights with TWO guys who come forward relentlessly. Bloodbaths, generally.

Same here but, Frazier - Ali? Marg - Cotto? lots of great fights have been like this. Swarming power puncher versus boxer. Should be a good fight in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:02 pm

It's the old cliche of styles making fights.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:05 pm

Katsidas is hardly ever in a dull fight regardless of his opponent. Hes one of the best value fighters out there.

Worst case scenario I see it being a case where Burns just cant handle him and its over quickly as soon as Katsidas applies the pressure like the Mitchell fight.

Best case scenario Burns shows hes more durable than I suspect and we get a similar fight to the Martinez one.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm

although i want burns to win because hes british but am a huge katsidis fan and would like to see him pick up a title seeing as hes had a very tough career and cant help feeling he deserves it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:18 pm

Katsidis might have seen better days but he only loses to quality guys and tends to mince everyone else.

I think katsidis is at his most dangerous early. The mitchell fight looked like man against boy, but i think had mitchell survived until half way it might have panned out differently. Once katsisidis slows down the better boxers are able to pick him off. I'm not sure that burns fits into that category but if he's in contention by the mid rounds i'd start to fancy his chances more.

Early katsidis stoppage or tight decision for burns for me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:21 am

I can't see Katsidis losing this one. He is the gate keeper to the world titles and Burns needs more experience at the higher weight. Mind you, I can't necessarily argue with the opinion that the longer the fight goes on, the better it is for Burns

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:38 am

Is there some sort of spelling joke here I'm not in on? KATSIDIS!!!!!!

No doubt about this for me, Burns will need to turn in a Martinez-esque performance to win this. I actually think Ricky hits harder than he's given credit for, especially to the body, but he's going to have to hope that Kats' recent fights have taken their toll. The Katsidis of 18 months ago would make mincemeat of Burns but he's takena couple of batterings since then.

Either way, should be a great night, can't wait.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:55 am

Kingmonkey, I'm confused over the spelling ref. How did I spell it wrong? This isn't a go, just looking for enlightment.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:24 am

Not so much you mate but I read the thread from the start, it's unreal!

Katsidas
Kastidas

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:25 am

i just see a Katsidis win, Burns got put down by Martinez who is dwarfed by Katsidis, see this going the same way as the Mitchell fight but maybe Burns lasting a couple more rounds

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:16 am

Burns has little or no power at 130lb, and he was decked by Martinez who is considerably smaller than katsidas, which doesn't bode well. At 130 Burns was a good fighter in a very poor division, but he's certainly not a world class fighter as suggested in the original post. Marquez beat kats by being a great technician, having a granite chin and being a very accurate and hard hitting puncher. Guerrero beat him by working behind a strong southpaw jab that kats failed to negate. Burns has none of these attributed to call upon, so there is fair scope to say kats will overwhelm him, bully him and be too heavy handed for burns to survive.

Kats has been beaten up a bit in some of his recent fights - he's definitely past his prime. I agree that if he doesn't get the job done early he slows down, becomes less dangerous and more liable to be outboxed, so there is a chance - especially with home crowd/judges - that if burns can whether a storm and get into a bit of a rythym as he did against Martinez he could squeeze a points win. I think it's a fairly close one to call to be honest, but I'm gonna say that in Burns first foray at 135 against a heavy handed, fringe world class guy who's only list to the best and beat the rest, katsidas will win a tko about the 6/7th round.

Katsidas is always in exciting fights though so should be a cracker, plus burns and kats both seem like good guys so I'm not bothered who wins.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:10 pm

no-mas wrote:i just see a Katsidis win, Burns got put down by Martinez who is dwarfed by Katsidis, see this going the same way as the Mitchell fight but maybe Burns lasting a couple more rounds

But burns got back up no problem

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

KO-KING wrote:
no-mas wrote:i just see a Katsidis win, Burns got put down by Martinez who is dwarfed by Katsidis, see this going the same way as the Mitchell fight but maybe Burns lasting a couple more rounds

But burns got back up no problem

I wouldn't say, no problem, but Katsidis is relentless if he has you in trouble you better watch out, especially if you're a smaller guy with little to no power to hold him off. There is only a minor chance I can see Burns digging this one out, 95% of me says Katsidis and by a bad bad knockout.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

I'm hoping Burns has enough reach to box at range, although it was a short night, he looked sharp against Cook, there is a chance he could stun Katsidis coming in with fast punches he doesn't see, he will need to to get Katsidis's respect. Tough nights work, looking forward to it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:33 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:I'm hoping Burns has enough reach to box at range, although it was a short night, he looked sharp against Cook, there is a chance he could stun Katsidis coming in with fast punches he doesn't see, he will need to to get Katsidis's respect. Tough nights work, looking forward to it.

The one thing I will say, Guerrero and Marquez clearly hit harder than Burns, but fact of the matter is even they struggled massively to gain respect from the mad Aussie. Even Marquez was down and stunned and I think that was to do with Katsidis' relentless pace and strength and Marquez being a littler guy. Now I just cannot for the life of me see Burns gaining any respect, his power down at 130 was Mallignaggi like, I don't like the odds of him carrying a dig at a higher weight (Although not saying it's impossible) I just struggle to see how he would gain respect and I'm not too sure Ricky has that great speed or has the ability to punch dart in with fast combinations and get out.

I think Kevin Mitchell was all round a much better fighter than Burns was but due to being a small LW he got pummelled, Katsidis is a nightmare for anyone smaller than him and it takes a seriously tough fighter who is smaller than him to beat him. (Marquez) Can't wait for the fight but just can't see Burns lasting the distance, although should be fun while it lasts.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:44 pm

It's going to be tough Alex, Burns has similair reach to Guerrero who definately hits harder. Burns has the style to outbox Katsidis but the key is if he has the power to gain his respect, he can't run for twelve rounds, not against someone like Katsidis.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

I doubt he has the snap in his jab to hold him off, however if he manages to get through the inevitable onslaught and a few tough times I could maybe see that heroic display coming.

So, so, so hard for a littler guy against Katsidis, I don't necessarily in terms of height and reach, I mean in terms of the general weight - size. Guerrero pulled it off but I think the southpaw stance having a fantastic jab and all round boxing skills were enough, also carrying up the power to stop the march, and even he was decked although it didn't count.

It's a similar type of fight to a guy coming up from Light Heavy to face Tyson, though I'm confident he won't poo himself in the manner Spinks did I think he will be a tad overcautious at times being careful not to get caught, which may be good to start with. Would like to see Burns do it as he really is a nice bloke, but at the same time I can't help love Katsidis.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:40 am

I hope Burns can pull it off, but unless the brutal fights Katsidis has been involved in catch up with him massively i cant see anything other than a Katsidis KO.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 26 Oct 2011, 5:42 pm

You guys make strong points for Katsidis, but when i first heard of the fight i could only see burns outboxing katsidis, still se Burns winning in a martinez style of fight.

The odds are good for burns so good for betting, pretty sure frank warren won't sacrifice another fighter. Saying that Murray is fighting Rios

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 30 Oct 2011, 7:24 pm

So betting big on burns isn't a godd idea?

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 30 Oct 2011, 7:37 pm

I fancy Burns to win this one. Kats is beat up and is struggling to make 135lbs now (his words after the Guerrero fight). Burns has no worries making weight he was making 130lbs at a push earlier this year. I think Burns will outwork Kats. Burns has a great engine and can throw punches for 12 rounds I don't think Kats can any more.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Mon 31 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I fancy Burns to win this one. Kats is beat up and is struggling to make 135lbs now (his words after the Guerrero fight). Burns has no worries making weight he was making 130lbs at a push earlier this year. I think Burns will outwork Kats. Burns has a great engine and can throw punches for 12 rounds I don't think Kats can any more.

Do you think burns will win or is it more that you want him to win?

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:46 pm

Burns is moving up in weight to fight someone who is one of the hardest punchers in the division. In my opinion he doesn't carry the dig to keep katsidis away, ko early imo for the aussie. Massive risk.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:22 am

Have we got a full card schedule for this yet? I need to know what time to tell the Mrs to give up use of the tv.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:35 am

Starts at 6, not sure which fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

Katsidis v Burns is live starting at 06:30am AEDT (Australian Eastern Daylight Time) on Main Event PPV in Australia, for only AU$49.95 via Austar, which is about £32. That's a dear do.

AEDT is GMT -11:00, so that's 19:30hrs GMT, but as Scott says BoxNation's show starts at 18:00, it will probably be ridiculous amounts of build up and then possibly the Chisora fight and then Saunders before we get to the main action.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 01 Nov 2011, 10:26 am

Cheers guys, that all makes sense. I might have a bit of negotiating to do in that case, 6 is an early start!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

to be honest burns kats might start at like 9ish maybe later.

like bellew clev groves around 8.30 but dont hold me to it!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat 05 Nov 2011, 9:33 pm

Burns On points 115-112 - burns to get floored, MD. Got some money on Burns. Katsidis might have trouble with swelling and cuts.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 05 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

KO-King I actually think this might be easy for Burns.

My crystal ball senses that we are about to see a shot Michael Katsidas.

I think he will try to blow Burns out early and tire are about 4 rounds, then Burns wins everything after that.

The Marquez and Guerrero fights are bound to have taken their toal. Katsidas took a ultimate hiding in both. Fights like them ruin a fighter. And I think this could be the fight were we say, Katsidas is finished.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat 05 Nov 2011, 9:53 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:KO-King I actually think this might be easy for Burns.

My crystal ball senses that we are about to see a shot Michael Katsidas.

I think he will try to blow Burns out early and tire are about 4 rounds, then Burns wins everything after that.

The Marquez and Guerrero fights are bound to have taken their toal. Katsidas took a ultimate hiding in both. Fights like them ruin a fighter. And I think this could be the fight were we say, Katsidas is finished.
His cut/swelling resistance can be questioned now aswell, This could Play out like Martinez fight

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 05 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

COME ON KATS.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm

Burns is looking well here, but my crystal ball seems to be correct in saying that Katsidas looks finished Smile
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm

Great performance by Burns, against a shopworn but still formidable Katsidis. I wanted Kats to win, but congratulations to Burns.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:02 pm

the pundits watched a different fight to me, katsidis happy to punch away at burns arms, and burns doing more wrestling than boxing, not a good fight at all. burns just about deserved victory, but looks like katsidis needed a ko anyway judging by the judges scorecards

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:02 pm

Wish I went for the UD now.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:07 pm

does enzo have brain damage or is he just thick? he doesnt seem able to put two sentences together without repeating himself. I thought he was ridiculously biased..until i heard the scorecards

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm

Burns clear- 115--113

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm

Went for Burns when the fight was announced and he managed to do it on the night. Controlled the fight for the most part for me and deserved the win though the cards were to wide.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next