The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best TEST captains around at the moment in order

+2
Fists of Fury
Djoker is in Nadal's head
6 posters

Go down

Best TEST captains around at the moment in order Empty Best TEST captains around at the moment in order

Post by Guest Sun 30 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

Who do you think in TEST cricket at the moment, are the best, rank in order the best test captains playing today..based on tactics, coolness, calmness under pressure etc..anything u like.

these are mine:

1.Andrew Strauss
2.Misbah Ul-Haq
3.M.S.Dhoni
4.Darren Sammy
5.Graeme Smith
6.Ross Taylor
7.Michael Clarke
8.Tillkatrne Dilshan
9.Mushfiqur Rahim

Back to top Go down

Best TEST captains around at the moment in order Empty Re: Best TEST captains around at the moment in order

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:57 pm

Dhoni is one of the all time best captains.

Back to top Go down

Best TEST captains around at the moment in order Empty Re: Best TEST captains around at the moment in order

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:02 am

Not particularly, he had an absolute shocker both performance wise and tactically over in England. But he has done a very good job for India since taking over, given the pressure on him and the several responsibilities that he has.

Doesn't get anywhere near my top 5, yet, but he is around 10-15 for now.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:14 am

Dhoni is a lead from the front type of captain.

He IMO is nowhere near the top 5 off all time but I still have a lot of time for him. His side were poor this summer but he did show humility in defeat.

As for the question.

Who knows?

Strauss has a great record but tbh, I don't rate him as highly as I should.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:19 am

I actually rate Strauss very highly. He doesn't have an x-factor as such, he isn't the best batsman we have, but he is such a calm, measured guy and this seems to rub off onto the rest of the side. Tactically he is also pretty astute, and has had very few failings of note in this area in his England tenure.

Comments from his players always assist in giving an idea as to the effect the captain has. The likes of Swann and Pietersen have both mentioned that Strauss is someone that they respect massively, that he has an aura about it that tells you when not to cross a line, when to listen etc. This is a trait that can be undervalued at times, and not many have it.

Strauss ranks higher than Dhoni, for me, and has a chance to go on and make himself one of the greatest Test captains there has ever been.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:20 am

guys its not a greatest test captain of all time thread, its rank the test captains around today in order!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:23 am

Those active at the moment haven't done a great deal, Dhoni, Smith and Strauss aside, so it is difficult to rank them and doesn't allow for much discussion.

It is an interesting debate to see where we would put Strauss, Smith and Dhoni in an all time context, however, given that they're the only two that have done anything of note in your list.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:24 am

Why Darren Sammy at four ahead of Graeme Smith?

I must admit, that it's very difficult to compare test captains when I've never seen Sammy captain in my life.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

I don't think Ross Taylor has captained a test yet. Makes it kind of hard to judge him Wink

IMO Vettori was one of the best around, sad that he's given it away.

Dhoni for me is a superb ODI captain, and a useful test one.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:31 am

I like Vettori. Always looks like he's in control.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:53 am

I think Vettori was the best before he gav it away after the WC.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:10 am

The best international captain around today is Porterfield from Ireland. Terrific tactician. yes I know that isn't what we're discussing but thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited by Mad for Chelsea on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:33 am

Salman Butt Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:37 am

Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:Salman Butt Yahoo
🤦

Last edited by shankythebiggestengfan on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:38 am

Strauss edges out marginally to Dhoni owing to his wins in Australia 3-1. No other team managed that in the recent history although part of that success can be attributed to Dhoni as he broke the resolute of Aussie side when they toured India and lost 0-3.

Dhoni at times has shown great captaincy attributes. His choice of players, his field placings, his ability to not to loss clam under any conditions. In England as well, it was only Dhoni who was putting some kind of resistance to English bowlers. Dhoni and gary sortes out most of the aussies batsman. Mathhew Hayden was forced to retire after the last tour of India. Zaheer Khan kept getting him out on partly scores. Although I will agree that DHoni is much better one day player and captain.

If you talk all time then there is no one better than Imran Khan as he always hand picked players and made them into super stars plus he was a master tactcian as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:39 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:Salman Butt Yahoo
\
🤦

Come on Shanky, that was a good one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:41 am

I'd prefer Salman Rushdie!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:44 am

Fists of Fury wrote:I'd prefer Salman Rushdie!

I know its irrelevat here but have you read any of his books?

Coming back to topic if you don't like Butt then on all time great list Gower is considered to be the best, he lost 11 matches in a row as a captain.
He was white washed, black washed and whatever was available.

Talking logically then Gatting was a very good captain. Steve Waugh was amuch better captain than Ponting. Sourav Ganguly was a wonderful captain, he employed so many out of the book tactics to get one up on Steve Waugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:45 am

Gower did win the ashes........................................against a poor Aussie side.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down