The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Ford

+3
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Morgannwg
tomathy
7 posters

Go down

George Ford Empty George Ford

Post by tomathy Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:15 am

This guy seems to be very talented indeed, but does he have the size to cope at international level at fly half? I know he's still only 18 and may bulk up a bit, and there's still plenty of time for him to not turn out to be as good as we hope, but does anyone see his size as a potential problem against the best flankers and centres? And how did he play for Leicester during the world cup (I believe he started a few games?)
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

George Ford Empty Re: George Ford

Post by Morgannwg Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:36 am

No. I have seen smaller players on the rugby pitch. England should cap this guy this season or definitely the season after. Flood and Wilkinson have been unimpressive and ordinary. This Ford boy looks very good.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:12 am

He does look to be the real deal OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:14 am

Until he's tested we won't know, but he's almost exactly the same height & weight as Aaron Cruden and there are a number of similar sized SHs about whose job it is to get in the way of rampaging backrowers all day.

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:23 am

Wonder if he's got a Scottish granny? Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:40 am

Matthew Morgan faces a similar problem, bags of talent and skill, but perhaps lacking the attributes for modern day international rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:42 am

Will this lad get much senior game time with his club, I know England have the Saxons which is great (wheres our A Side WRU?) but he needs to play regular first class games before being chucked in unneccessarily and ruuning risk of ruining him.

I know we have seen quite a few young Welsh lads come throught this WC, some through neccesity I know with North being youngest at 19 but these guys are getting regular week in week out game time at the Regions, again through neccesity as far as the Dragons and Scarlets are concerned but least they playing at highest level available to them.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 am

Nobody is arguing that North isnt developed enough - not yet anyway as he hasnt got broken yet.

Smaller guys may well have better careers with more time getting the conditioning right.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:39 am

He was one of the few to put in good performances for Tigers during the WC. Didn't look out of his depth (if a bit inexperienced), tackled above his weight, kicked well out of hand (12T kicked at goal), able to make an impact on games with his running and passing.

He may get knocked back a bit by bigger guys, but he doesn't shy away from tackles, and can't remember any glaring defensive errors from him this season. A year or so more of development and he will be about ready.

As for gametime. His goal at the moment is to get ahead of Staunton, which his early season run would have helped with. Twelvetrees looks destined for the centres, leaving Ford 3rd choice 10 at the moment. Flood looks like he will take over the 10 shirt for England for the foreseeable future, so that gives Ford plenty of opportunities to play if he gets ahead of Staunton. I think Staunton's contract is up this season too, so it would be a good opportunity to move Ford up to 2nd choice.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:58 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Will this lad get much senior game time with his club, I know England have the Saxons which is great (wheres our A Side WRU?) but he needs to play regular first class games before being chucked in unneccessarily and ruuning risk of ruining him.

He's played 6 games this season to Staunton's 4, starting 4 premiership games to Staunton's 2. I think Tigers are pretty keen to get him as much 1st class game time as possible.

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down