The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The South African rugby evolution.

+5
formerly known as Sam
kiakahaaotearoa
Bathman_in_London
english warrior
Biltong
9 posters

Go down

The South African rugby evolution. Empty The South African rugby evolution.

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:03 pm

So South Africa will soon have a new coach, well I damn well hope so, that is to say if Pieter de Villiers doesn’t call in some favours from his connections and remain in the post. The number of new ideas he has brought to the Springbok setup over the past four years amounts to zero. In fact you can deduct points for not even being able to effectively understand the existing moves, which is in fact zero as well.

I definitely hope that Dick Muir doesn’t remain as the back line coach because he doesn’t have the ability to find a gap through an open gate. What he knows about back line play is dangerous to primary school rugby.

A special back line move for Dick Muir is the Scrum half passing the ball to the fly half. He never had trigonometry at school so angled running is taboo. An offload for Dick Muir is something you do in a bathroom after a indulging in a hot Indian curry the night before. In his eyes a defender beaten as akin to beating the opposition to a bloody pulp and then walking away feeling satisfied. An inside pass in his mind has something to do with a kidney stone.

Gary Gold seems to be as sweet as anything, but you try coaching a bunch of hard Afrikaner boys about the technicalities of forward play whilst sounding like you are asking for a date. In fact I believe him to be as incompetent and useless as a brain dead mongrel, and that is being kind to Gary Gold.

The fact is not all that is Gold, glitters. The collective rugby knowledge of these three musketeers are comparable to the three village idiots who has been in hiding in the mountains for far too long.

So where am I going with this you might ask. Well I am pondering the future of South African rugby and even though I have no formal experience or training at coaching rugby at any level whatsoever, I am trying to think who in South Africa knows more about rugby than I do. The sad fact is the list is very short.

Ok, perhaps I am exaggerating slightly, but comparing our collective rugby knowledge with some other countries it is hardly surprising that since the start of professional rugby our success rate has not been what it could be.

You see the problem with South African rugby stems from grass roots level. Even in the days when I was at school the same principals applied. In those days (quite some time ago) the coaches of school rugby teams looked for the talented kids, those who showed some ingenuity when it came to rugby.

It would mainly be either those who were extremely strong and could lift a truck differential at the age of 10 (they would become forwards), or those who could see a gap and run fast (the back line players).

Since the professional era we as South Africans have come to the realisation that we now have to start coaching players. Now what have been inbred in our rugby mentality were mainly two things. You get the ball, if you are strong you run through or over anything in your way, if you are fast you run around the opponent. Nowhere in this genetic evolution has there been any conditioning of having to pass the ball, because if you pass the ball it means you must stop running, and hence we never have enough support players around the ball carrier.

The fact is South Africans are simple minded people, we don’t like things to be complicated. All this new age stuff like changing the laws of the breakdown and the crouch, touch, pause and engage is way above the average South African rugby player’s pay grade. Not to mention complicated back line moves too establish overlaps or gaps in defence. Rugby was never supposed to get that complicated. Why did players have to start going to gym, why did they have to get fitness and strength training.

We liked the way things were. We had these big farm boys running like runaway trucks and it worked, we had a few fast guys that could put Flash Gordon to shame, but no, other countries had to start training.

These days we have gotten to the point where players are over coached, they very rarely have the ability to adapt or adjust their mindset midway through a game.

We went to the world cup with a plan, yes admittedly it was a simple plan, but off and on it worked. In fact even though we weren’t the best in the world it still allowed us to be the third best ranked team in the world. What we did was this, win line outs, win scrums, compete at the breakdowns, run direct and when there were no fresh ideas, we would kick as high as possible. This meant the chase was on, put pressure, get a turn over and run again until you score or get a penalty. The penalty kicks were always taken.

So what happens, we go into a quarter final deciding we are going to play rugby. Lo and behold, we actually look good, we control the game, we control the territory.

But alas because the mindset is to play rather than to kick we don’t use the opportunities we get to kick for goals. NO, we want to run again.
How difficult is it to say “Ah, this is an opportunity to run” or “Ah, here is an opportunity for points”.

You see what I mean, simple people. It seems to me, we need a manual override switch, something that can be switched on or off by remote button. But even then the odds are the coaching team will be in the same one track zone as the players.

So here we are, our new coach must have knowledge, someone who understands angles and stuff. He must be innovative. (problem there is has any South African ever invented anything worth while?).Someone who can teach youngsters about creating a gap or overlap without having to be a freight train.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

The South African rugby evolution. Empty Re: The South African rugby evolution.

Post by english warrior Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:16 pm

The problem with SA rugby is like England with their one dimensional style of play where the forwards act as battering rams for the Backs and to be quite honest this has its benefits, but there never seems to be a plan B, as with England. So a little more inventiveness and lateral thinking would not go amiss in the future.

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:23 pm

The first heart transplant might be counted as worthwhile?!

So who is the front runner to take the job biltong? Meyer would have made a good national coach before PDV, but now the road to 'transformation' has started would anyone coming in have his hands tied when it comes to picking his coaching team?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Yeah forgot about Dr. Barnard.

I sincerely hope it is not Heyneke Meyer, he will just bring much of the same.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:01 pm

So who would you like biltong? From what I've seen of the Currie cup Mitchell is doing some good things with the Lions, would he be an option? Or is it homegrown coaches only?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Biltong for Bok coach!!

Every press conference we could have a powerpoint presentation of stats, some black and white footage to ground us in Bok history and some great dynamic rugby from the Boks. The former makes me want to see it happen, the latter just plain scares me into thinking it´s not such a good idea!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:29 pm

It seems Mitchell has already declined, saying he is not interested, but yes many South Africans would love Mitchell to be the coach.

Of the rest that is over I would think Mallet or Erasmus.

But i have a feeling it will be Aillister Coetzee.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:32 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Biltong for Bok coach!!

Every press conference we could have a powerpoint presentation of stats, some black and white footage to ground us in Bok history and some great dynamic rugby from the Boks. The former makes me want to see it happen, the latter just plain scares me into thinking it´s not such a good idea!

Kia you shouldn't joke mate. I know how to manage people and will surround myself with the best technicians out there. add to that my ability to motivate as it has been something I have done for a long time, I might just have what they need.

Feck, that would be a great experience and beleive me the public will not be in the dark about bok rugby and we will use all our current strengths and play exciting, creative fast rugby, with the control of a master at the rudder.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:35 pm

I sincerely hope it is not Heyneke Meyer, he will just bring much of the same..

Meyer will bring many things to SA but a heads up create and then attack the gaps style of rugby isn't one of them. He was all about efficient play, clever kicking and brute force at the Bulls and the same at Tigers. He may be a good forwards coach option if the right attack and head coach can be found though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:36 pm

I´m not joking mate. I´m quivering with fear. For I know your true identity...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 pm

biltongbek wrote:

Kia you shouldn't joke mate. I know how to manage people and will surround myself with the best technicians out there. add to that my ability to motivate as it has been something I have done for a long time, I might just have what they need.

Feck, that would be a great experience and beleive me the public will not be in the dark about bok rugby and we will use all our current strengths and play exciting, creative fast rugby, with the control of a master at the rudder.

Any chance of some match tickets once you're appointed? Because I'd love to watch your Boks team play.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:39 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I´m not joking mate. I´m quivering with fear. For I know your true identity...

Can you help me out there please. i hit my head a few years back and have severe amnesia, been trying to figure out who I am since then.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 pm

You are the chosen one son. If you build it, they will come. Cast aside the biltong, become who you were destined to be: the Bok coach.

Plus, I´ll be up for those tickets as well when the appointment comes mate.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Any chance of some match tickets once you're appointed? Because I'd love to watch your Boks team play.

The day I am bok coach ( chances of that are about as good as me winning the lotto), you can all have tickets. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Well done on getting your request in early! Seriously though a Bok team with some real creativity going forward but with the strength of the set piece retained would be very good to watch and pretty hard to beat. Get your application in now!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Bathman, the frustrating thing as a bok supporter is when you look at the currie cup and see these talented youngsters and you know how good they can be, but then you realise SARU management is an antiquated bunch of egocentric individuals who has no intention of doing what is best for bok rugby.

We can be so much better than what we are. but then so can te whole country.

I look at the match NZ played yesterday and then you come to the realisation. Here is a country with 4 million people, not a very big economy, but everyone, from school teachers to clubs all the way to the All Black team and their administration, it all works because they do it for the collective. and that collective is to be the best in the world.

It sickens me that we don't have the same approach.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Biltongbek we feel exactly the same about the RFU, the blazer brigade have been making a mess for years. The idiots have also appointed Fran Cotton to lead the investigation into our poor performances despite him already giving an interview within which he blames aspects of the team and management. It's forehead smackingly stupid.

Should the Boks not hire you there might be a position with the red rose coming up soon and you seem more far sighted than the majority of our current coaches (especially the backs coach).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Biltong, I watch a reasonable amount of Currie Cup and they are normally good games of rugby with far more attacking intent shown that when i've seen the Boks play. (I'll admit I havent seen all the games etc, but thats just the feeling I get).

As you say NZ have everyone pulling in the same direction, all tiered up to the All Blacks adn the whole country focused on their success. Sadly that is not the same elsewhere and with all the intrenched vested interests, its hard to see how things will change.

On a completly different note, do you think some of the migration from South Africa is going to hurt the rugby there long term? The reason for asking is that I know a lot of South Africans in London, and many of them seem to be planning on staying for a while, with their families often moving to New Zealand or Australia too. I know that this is probably a small number comparatively, but when rugby is really popular in c.10% of your population and that is also the population who are most likely to move elsewhere, is there going to be a reduction in popularity long term? Or is it likely to be compensated for by 'new' fans from playing at Soweto etc?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Bathman,I don't think it will have a big enough influence on the quality of depth, the fact is more players of colour every year make it to Craven week. This means the participation is growing amongst other races. For example the coloured population is as crazy about rugby and cricket as the whites.

There are not a big percentage of black population who would call rugby there number one sport, but everywhere I go I make a point of talking to them about rugby and many follow what happens with the Boks. Our World Cup send off was also well represented by the crowds from all races.

I think our infrastructure in all townships and quality of coaching is a bigger hinderence to our success
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Biltong, well as I said I was just a thought I had the other day. Interesting to know though as a lot of the comments I hear tend to be more negative about the state of things generally.

I presume the spreading the gospel of rugby whereever you go is all part of the plan to make the CV as impressive as posssible for your application for the top job!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:12 pm

I don't think rugby in SA is in crisis... ok at the very very top they have not be reaching their full potential but with margins so close any change i.e. injuries, bad coaches, morale etc can sway results to or away from you.

The one place where SA have always struggled is at flyhalf IMO. They have never really had a player of great technical skill but also with a touch of flair also.
If you look at the fly halfs since the its re-introduction - Stransky, Honiball, De Beer, Pretorious, Hougaard, James, Steyn etc.. most if not all (honiball excluding) were solid techinical players with little ball handling skill.

Its perhaps the one area which prevents SA from being an all running team like NZ/Wales/Australia.

I also think the problems have arisen due to the Currie Cup becoming pretty much the 2nd tier competition in the country.

Before super rugby, the Currie Cup was rugby, you had a far greater number of teams really competitive. Now we have 5... + griquas for a season on & off until someone pinches their players and they're back to square one.
The top 4 teams pretty much have 2 teams... 1 SR team and 1 CC team and squads are generally massive. Top players who would normally be fighting it out on the pitch can only really do so in training and many are often stuck playing the odd game here and there.

Look at Moritz Botha for instance... he couldn't even get a provincial contract so went to England and ended up playing for ENG as a lock (no mean feat given its a usual area of strength for ENG). Talent is out there, its just that its very tough to get game time to develop.

In Europe there are 10 teams in the GP who will get good regular experience, 14 in France. Due to the top 4 sides hoarding players even Griquas would struggle in both the top14 or the GP let alone teams ranked 7 and below.

Given SA have only 5 main sides now it will have major affects if injuries occur. Lets look at fullback. SA have not had a proper fullback since Monty retired.
Terblanche at the sharks will never be considered by the boks for political reasons yet he would on form or least he would have done up to perhaps 1 year ago... yet him playing for the sharks reduces SA's options by 20%.
Unless the franchises & SARU look at their goals together it will be very difficult for SA to move forward. In NZ & AUS they centrally contract players... if you lose you're contract you're often indirectly told... get out of your province as you are keeping a young lad from gaining valuable experience.
Its brutal but it works. Perhaps it may hurt in the short term but overall it keeps the conveyor belt going.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi,Biltong may I make a few comments,The Sanzar teams are based on the Super Rugby sides.Backed up in the case of SA/Nz by Currie cup and ITM.Aus and NZ do.not pick players overseas for good reasons the deterrent of a mass exedous of players.
I do not claim to be an expert on SA Rugby,NZ is my field of expertise but I have seldom seen a poor Bok side[at full strength].
After this RWC has ended the IRB will look at modifying rules again,Scrum/maul.Breakdown/tackle/offside etc. teams that modify there games will prosper most.
SA will probably lose Peter de villiers as coach,probably the rest of his coaching team too .John Mitchell /Carlos Spencer would be a good start to the coaching mix.
Players lost after RWC ,Smit,Matfield,Roussow,Juan Smith ?,Du preez,possibly Fourie and De Villiers.Is Franny Steyn still Nh based?
Habana and Pietersen,Burger are they still in the frame for selection.
Spies/Kankowski don`t inspire confidence at number 8,Alberts does. Brussow is good but injury prone ,and not in the tradition of Bok flankers for physicality.
A Hougaard/Lambie half back combo looks the goods ,BUT what do you with Morne Steyn.Selection of NH based Bok players has`nt proved successful 3Ns wise.
What the RWC has proved is there is far to much Rugby played now,it would be sensible to have a universal.
Test match calender and 4Ns/6Ns plus S15/HC and Currie cup/Itm/Aviva/Magners/Top14 to avoid major clashes.
It would also make RWC years easier ,what is obvious is some kind of prioritizing of the calender is required for player welfare.
Much as an old fogey like me does not want to see it resting of players is now a must.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Getting buy in from the franchises is crucial.

1 Select new coach/ panel
2 Create short term/ long term strategy's for the Springboks- goals, scheduling, selection criteria, 'style' SA wants to adopt
3 Meet with Currie cup and sxv franchises and communicate clearly what is expected of the players selected for SA teams- fitness levels, availability, commitment etc. Identify a key number of players (up to 100?) and monitor them on a regular basis- ie key performance indicators
4 Attend the matches, talk to the coaches and teams during trainings and pre match if necessary. Instill a 'picture' into the minds of the players of what the SA team will look like.

The structure is simple really- SA have the extra hassle of internal politics but surely at some level the risk can be mitigated- sensitively but firmly. Quota factors etc can all be managed- in fact they have to be to gain the maximum advantage from them. Develop schemes to maximise them etc.

The logistics are really simple but those who are not buying in to the overall betterment of SA rugby need to be brought out and dealt with. That power struggle has to occur, or there will much of the same forever.

Youve heard it before Biltong but 'people' are getting in the way of SA rugby, nothing else is.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:58 am

FA, i agree with you, and somehow a way has to be found to condense the calender, but change the Rugby formats where more team in SA and perhpas New Zealand as well can make more money and be more sustainable.

I am working on something at the moment, but will take a while.

Alan, I agree there must be a universal international calender, I have been looking at it this morning and trying to figure this one out. hopefully PDV will go, and I would love John Mitchell or even Plumtree to coach SA, but I doubt whether SARU would look at them.

Taylorman, as both alan and FA has mentioned, there is a total rehash necessary. I am working on some ides and will put it down later.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:28 am

For our sake Im ok if the same baby steps are taken because from what I've seen of the sxv and currie cup sides if they were truly represented we'd be in big trouble.
Same thing with oz. If not for league world rugby would be dominated by oz. Im totally convinced of that. They have ridiculously talented footy players over there. Hundreds of them.
Thats why we maximise our rugby resources. For survival at the top of the one game we're good at.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:00 am

Taylorman the relative rise of Australian Rugby since Professionalism.is due to the fact.
They are not losing there best players to League,on the contrary Union now pays better[IF you are a top player]so the League boys are going Union.Australia Union was always 3rd choice,maybe still is but players are folowing the cash.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:20 am

League boys are going to union?
Who? A few. But theres no drain by any means.
The biggest drain on nz resources is league and the nrl.
Our oldies go to nh and japan rugby but our young go to league.
Henrys made that very clear in the past.
League and the warriors have a big following here. This year our 3 aus based sides all made the final in oz. And we only have one franchise. Oz have 20 odd. We have players scattered through them all.
Benji marshall for one has more talent than cooper in his little finger and would be a great 10 in union.
Bur as i said if all the oz leaguies could only play union, no one would touch them.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down