The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

well done TOM LEWIS

+17
KeizoYamata
Davie
hogie
kwinigolfer
Ali
Bob_the_Job
Maverick
drive4show
super_realist
Diggers
JPX
Skydriver
princedracula
MustPuttBetter
ScottieD18
Doc
mystiroakey
21 posters

Go down

well done TOM LEWIS Empty well done TOM LEWIS

Post by mystiroakey Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:40 pm

A quick shout out for the new english star tom lewis- 4 events is all it took him to win an event!!

well done TOM

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

well done TOM LEWIS Empty Re: well done TOM LEWIS

Post by Doc Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:04 am

I watched his win and was chuffed for him, and i hope he can go on to better things. BUT the way SKY were bigging him up was ridiculous - the new Rory, another big find from the junior ranks etc, etc, etc. Lets just hope the kid can progress and not let this go to his head and believe the media hype he's now going to get.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:37 am

An amazing performance. He was able to produce the birdies when the more experienced pros stalled on the back nine. He now has 2 years security and a chance to find out how good he is / can be.

I agree the only risk may be managing expectations; his, media, sponsors, public. McIlroy's first full year on tour was very average until he almost won in Switzerland so Lewis may also struggle until he fully acclimatises to life on tour.

His swing / tempo remind me of Luke Donald. He may not have the flare of McIlroy, but he may have the ability to play his best under pressure and win more frequenclty that McIlroy if he proves good enough to get into contention on a regular basis.

I'm not sure which management group he's with but hopefully he's getting sound advise.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:41 am

IMG, Scottie
At least Mark Steinberg is no longer there!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:45 am

Seems to have a great bloke on the bag, who was talking to him constantly on the back 9. They played for percentage shots which paid off, especially the short par 4 15th, which he drove. I think this was the hole that did it for him and made him believe he could acually win the thing. The par 3 16th was also played conservativley and he made the birdie, and the 17th had my backside twitching for him, but a great iron to the safe part of the green, thanks to his bag man and game over. Well done kid, keep your head straight and carry on.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:04 am

Doc, his bagman is Dubliner Colin Byrne, who's a top class caddy... Worked with Goosen (when he won US Open), Noren, Eddi Molinari, etc. Pretty well known around here for his columns in the Irish Times and a couple of books he wrote...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:51 am

I'm very happy to eat my words and also say "Well done, Tom" (having somewhat sat on the fence, previously predicting a Rose-like frustrating grind over a long period). Thought he was doing very well just to have made his first 3 cuts as a pro!

I don't suppose many non-golfers would understand the reference if he was now hailed as the "New Young Tom"?

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:57 pm

Best part about Lewis for me is that he seems to be able to cope with the pressure. People have compared him with McIlroy, I'm not getting into the old he's as good / better etc, but I'm sure McIlroy struggled with pressure when he started out on tour.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:19 pm

JPX,

I agree. His ability on Sunday to handle the pressure was impressive. If he does have that mental strength (one swallow does not make a summer) and proves he has the game his prospects look good.

Faldo was probably the last UK player who thrived under pressure. A case can be made that all top UK players since (Monty, Westwood, Donald and McIlroy) all lose their game a little or a lot under pressure. I can't think of a top class UK player since Faldo who won his fair share of tournaments when in contention.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

Maybe its the English reserve not to make too much of this but quite frankly its a brilliant effort. If Manassero or Rory had won on their 4th effort as a pro then people would have been frothing at the mouth so we should enjoy the moment.
I agree that he has a touch of the Donalds about him, no bad thing really to be compared favourably to the world number one.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:27 pm

I think you are right Diggers, can you imagine of Fowler had won so early instead of taking two years to win. The American's would be climaxing in their collective pants.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

i dont think we need to worry about hyping him up to much- he is a golfer after all,his surrondings are quite stable etc etc. and he will be fine- the guy was over hyped in a way after the open- yet he turns pro soon after then wins his 4th event!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 17 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

Yes indeed, excellent performance.

What impressed me most (if it's true) is that he said in an interview afterwards that he wasn't thinking about the money, just the W. If he really was thinking that way then I like his attitude. Too many players on tour seem to live in a big money comfort zone without ever having to win an event.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:40 pm

Can we please stop using the ghastly term 'w' when we mean win. It's actually quicker to say the monosyllable word than it is the letter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:03 pm

Completely with SR on this a W is the most ridiculous term to creep into golf and sport in general anyone using the term I'm seeking a W or what a W that was should be hung by their testes and then garroted!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm

Maverick wrote:Completely with SR on this a W is the most ridiculous term to creep into golf and sport in general anyone using the term I'm seeking a W or what a W that was should be hung by their testes and then garroted!

Shocked

Sorry, I was trying to stay down with the kids Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

I'd say that 'w' was a better abbreviation for w@nk than win anyway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:01 pm

drive4show wrote:
Maverick wrote:Completely with SR on this a W is the most ridiculous term to creep into golf and sport in general anyone using the term I'm seeking a W or what a W that was should be hung by their testes and then garroted!

Shocked

Sorry, I was trying to stay down with the kids Laugh

Steady on D4S we may have to start calling you Gary Glitter wanting to get down with the kids! (Queue someone reporting me for inappropriate comments)

SR now Mrs Mav's had the baby I maybe looking at plenty of W's in the near future then! Wins of course Whistle

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:24 pm

Well done indeed - a very good performance, especially over the back 9. I think it was to his benefit that he didn't go into the final round in lead or in the last couple of groups - it allowed him to sneak up on the rails.

He seems like a nice bloke and modest too. Hope that lasts.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:08 pm

Also good to see that he is standing by his commitment to play in Spain this week - he could easily have pulled out now that he doesn't need the points - it will give a boost to the event

Ali

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:10 pm

Ali wrote:Also good to see that he is standing by his commitment to play in Spain this week - he could easily have pulled out now that he doesn't need the points - it will give a boost to the event

I'd say a good move on his part. No pressure, chance to get just a little bit more tour/travelling experience. Strike while the iron is hot.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:17 pm

Plus he's by no means sure of a ticket to Dubai, only in by 30K as things stand. Sure he'd want to play there.
'Course, a successful trip to the HSBC would take care of everything.

d4s,
Sounds like you had a great trip . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:25 pm

kwini

yes thanks, 3rd trip to the beach and it get's better every year. Might check out a new venue next year, heard the golf and hospitality in Vermont is first class Wink

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard some comment on the telly box that Lewis won't qualify for Dubai due to not having played enough tournaments, fact or fiction?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

VT hospitality twice as good as it's cracked up to be, golf weather-dependent which means very iffy!
Courses mostly close within the next three weeks. For at least five months!!

Re R2D, that may well be true; but he's listed in the R2D money list so I naively assumed he'd be eligible. Makes perfect sense if he's not, and quite honestly I find European Tour "status" a bit ambiguous.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

See you in 5 months then! Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

Certainly looks to be the complete package and it will be interesting to see how he does in 2012.

It doesn't mention any problem about playing too few events on the european tour website. http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2011/tournamentid=2011091/news/newsid=147687.html

Looks like if he stays in the top 60 he is in.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 18 Oct 2011, 2:03 pm

hogie

I'd like to see him get in and play with the big boys to see how he does. Sounds like the media may have got their facts wrong.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Oct 2011, 2:04 pm

Even without the win I think he would have got plenty invites.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 18 Oct 2011, 5:49 pm

i think his goal should be to get in the masters for 2012.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:01 pm

I've been massively impressed by young Tom so far - apart from his obvious skills he seems very level headed. Sadly, already the media are pouncing on him - I hope he stays level headed (and don't become another McIlroy twitter freak)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:41 am

super_realist wrote:I think you are right Diggers, can you imagine of Fowler had won so early instead of taking two years to win. The American's would be climaxing in their collective pants.

Funny the British media going berserk and saying he beats Tigers record even though it's 2 different tours Rolling Eyes By the way I have news for you, Fowler is going to dominate The Open for years to come. I can see him being the new Tom Watson.

Last edited by Davie on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote)

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:53 am

Diggers wrote:Maybe its the English reserve not to make too much of this but quite frankly its a brilliant effort.

You mean like how BBC and sky are boasting he has broken Tigers record and many are saying he is the new Faldo?

If Manassero or Rory had won on their 4th effort as a pro then people would have been frothing at the mouth so we should enjoy the moment.

You mean like the same people we have on this thread frothing at the mouth

I agree that he has a touch of the Donalds about him, no bad thing really to be compared favourably to the world number one.

Yes the same Donald who boasted

He is the best player in the world
No one has played better than him in the last 2 years
He has the chance to win both money titles

Oh yes the nice modest Luke Whistle

If you want modest golfers talk about someone like Darren Clarke.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:15 am

Maverick wrote: SR now Mrs Mav's had the baby I maybe looking at plenty of W's in the near future then! Wins of course Whistle

I haven't been as assiduous in reading everything on here just lately. Has this been commented on in another thread? But congratulations Mav and Mrs Mav - is that a mixed fourball now?

Oh to keep on topic - well done Tom - maybe a change of watch sponsor now from TW Steel to Audemars Piguet!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:20 am

KeizoYamata wrote:

1. He is the best player in the world
2. No one has played better than him in the last 2 years
3. He has the chance to win both money titles

Keizo, those FACTS and as such are irrefutable. So what exactly is your point caller?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:Funny the British media going berserk and saying he beats Tigers record even though it's 2 different tours By the way I have news for you, Fowler is going to dominate The Open for years to come. I can see him being the new Tom Watson
Tiger didn't set the record because he wasn't a ET member, he was just moonlighting. If he'd wanted that record he should have bitten the bullet and taken up ET membership like Donald has. And Peter Uihlein will have a better Open career than Fowler.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:07 pm

Keizo, th eonly thing Fowler looks likely to dominate is the league of who looks the most ridiculous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

i will be honest i dont like that keizo dudes constant diggs- but fowler does have some great links shots in his bag- he needs to stop his love for all things american though and realise that there is nothing wrong in celebrating tom lewis for winning his first event-

keiazzo are you the one i remeber from 606 that iused to knock f1 constantly and big up indie car!! didnt i remeber you saying you were an astronaut or something- lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:
Diggers wrote:Maybe its the English reserve not to make too much of this but quite frankly its a brilliant effort.

You mean like how BBC and sky are boasting he has broken Tigers record and many are saying he is the new Faldo?

If Manassero or Rory had won on their 4th effort as a pro then people would have been frothing at the mouth so we should enjoy the moment.

keizo

why not come clean and tell us exactly what your problem is? Maybe then we could make an attempt to understand you?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 20 Oct 2011, 9:52 am

See hes on the BBC website saying hes going after beating Faldo's major wins and a place in the ryder cup next year.

Im all for confidence but im thinking he shouldnt be coming out and saying that after one win.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 20 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

Sand wrote:See hes on the BBC website saying hes going after beating Faldo's major wins and a place in the ryder cup next year.

Im all for confidence but im thinking he shouldnt be coming out and saying that after one win.

is he good on him, i do however see your point- but he will learn- i dont think saying how you feel changes much, poulter isnt the best 'NATURAL' golfer in the world , but when he says things it seems to spur him on(well in match play anyway lol).

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:

It is becoming quite clear that English isn't your first language KY is it? Either that or you have the reading/comprehension/interpretation skills of the average 5 year old. Based on the above and the equally ludicrous ramblings on your own thread where you've basically declared open warfare on the world number 1's character, youve quite clearly showed that.

1. You don't know the meaning of the word arrogant.
2. You don't know the meaning of the word boasted
3. You don't know the meaning of the word modest
4. You don't understand that there is a whole other world outside the U.S.
5. You don't understand the basics of the owgr system
6. You don't understand how to debate in a non provocative non confrontational way
7. Your ability to misconstrue simply stated facts is quite breathtaking.

So, why dont you do us all a favour and either go away or learn to contribute in a more constructive way. Rant over,

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:05 pm

Sand wrote:See hes on the BBC website saying hes going after beating Faldo's major wins and a place in the ryder cup next year.

I haven't seen this first hand but we all know what journo's are like. I'd like ti think that he was simply asked what his career targets/aspirations are and he has innocently stated that he'd like to win more majors than SNF. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, you'll never be any good if you don't set high targets.

I also know hesaid in an interview at the Open that his ambition is to be the best ever player from his club. Tall order but go for it you clubmate of a certain ex world #1 Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 20 Oct 2011, 6:38 pm

I saw tom out there today- he birdied 4 straight after being 3 over, made a hash of the last but great to see that he can turn a switch when needed. Still in the castello

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down