The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jon Lewis

+3
Tibor
guildfordbat
MuchHappierSurreyFan
7 posters

Go down

Jon Lewis Empty Jon Lewis

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:51 am

What do people think about this signing???
Lewis is a quality bowler who will take wickets and help us while Tremlett is with England, it should also help us bring in an Oversea's player in a different position, either a batsman or more probable a spinner.
The big ? for me is the age, had we made this deal three years ago I would be happy but should we be signing a 36 year old when we have Dernbach,Meaker,Linely and Dunn all of whom have made degrees of progress this season.
For me it is the right signing at the wrong time but at the same time I do believe it will strengthen our team (if only for a season or two) so cant complain to much.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Jon Lewis Empty Re: Jon Lewis

Post by guildfordbat Sun 31 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm

Good post, Depressed. Very difficult question.

I don't think we'll be able to give a meaningful answer until mid next season as we can only speculate until then as to how much Tremlett, Dernbach and Meaker will be involved with the various England teams. I assume a fair bit of such involvement is anticipated and, on that basis, I give at least some credit to the Club for being pro-active.

However, we already have quite a few similar types in reserve (Dunn, Jordan, Jewell, Edwards) so we could be in danger of over egging this pudding, particularly if England don't come calling as much as we expect. There's a fine line between an experienced player mentoring a youngster and stifling development by taking his place in the side.

As is often the case, I'm not convinced we yet know the full details which only makes your question harder still. What (if anything) is happening to Martin Bicknell and his role of bowling coach?

There are also suggestions on the wallpaper site (OvalWorld on the Net) that Lewis is to take on the captaincy. This apparently stems from an ECB app showing highlights of the Gloucs match. Is there any truth in that?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

im very suprised surrey signed him, considering the bowlers that you do have, but not suprised lewis joined

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:45 pm

This the quote from the ecb highlights:

RHB nicks a ball from Lewis, then the narrator says that Lewis is "the man ...... be skippering at Surrey next summer."

There is confusion over the word in the middle of the sentence. It could be one of two things.

1. "who'll" = This implies Lewis will be captain next year

2. "who he'll" = In reference to RHB, suggesting that it will be RHB who will be in charge of Lewis next season.

I hope it is the latter.

Have a listen for yourself (around 3mins 19secs in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxOnL7mrCgs&feature=youtu.be

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:01 pm

Thanks, Tibor.

Logic suggests it's 2 (''who he'll''; ie Hyphen remains captain). Otherwise, surely it would have been emphasised further in the commentary and more made of it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

Very ambiguous! I agree with Guildford - also it doesn't sound like the sort of thing Adams would do. I suppose Hyphen might have indicated he wanted to step down, but apart from that it would look like an admission of failure on Adams' part. Also if any manager was thinking of getting in a new captain it seems unlikely they would go for a 36 year old seamer. If they tried to play in every match strong chance of injury....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

i expect him to only play limited overs cricket then

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Mon 01 Aug 2011, 8:19 pm

Not sure about that CF.

We generally see the signing as a way of replacing Arafat (ie. experienced, proven seamer) in all formats, without using up an overseas slot.

With Tremlett likely to be on England duty (despite the current dilemma with Bresnan!) and maybe Dernbach too, we need someone with experience to guide and lead the inexperienced seamers that will remain.

Hopefully, the free overseas spot can soon be put to better use with a quality spinner, although there seems to be a dearth of suitable players at the moment...

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

Cricketfan - Tibor is spot on about Lewis.

Amongst his reasons for leaving Gloucs and joining Surrey, Lewis has mentioned he's a professional with a family to support. In other words, money comes into it and none of us can blame him for that.

As a comparatively wealthy county, Surrey are almost certainly paying him a decent salary. However, they wouldn't be doing that if they only expected him to turn out in one dayers.

Tibor, Corporal, jimbob, carrot, jbd, Goochie, new boy Chichester et al - you now get a couple of weeks' peace as I take Mrs Bat to foreign shores. Hope there are celebratory drinks in the mess after the Kent game and the Viscount gets nearer to 50 CC wickets. [Corporal - please record my apologies for absence in the minutes (another clue there Wink )]

Finally, please all keep an eye out for Depressed.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:07 pm

Have a good hol Guildford - hope you get a chance to tour round a few salt mines while you're there Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm

Thanks, Corporal.

The Kommandant suggested Khewra as a holiday destination but characteristically Mrs Bat was unimpressed! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:57 am

guildfordbat wrote:Cricketfan - Tibor is spot on about Lewis.

Amongst his reasons for leaving Gloucs and joining Surrey, Lewis has mentioned he's a professional with a family to support. In other words, money comes into it and none of us can blame him for that.

As a comparatively wealthy county, Surrey are almost certainly paying him a decent salary. However, they wouldn't be doing that if they only expected him to turn out in one dayers.

Tibor, Corporal, jimbob, carrot, jbd, Goochie, new boy Chichester et al - you now get a couple of weeks' peace as I take Mrs Bat to foreign shores. Hope there are celebratory drinks in the mess after the Kent game and the Viscount gets nearer to 50 CC wickets. [Corporal - please record my apologies for absence in the minutes (another clue there Wink )]

Finally, please all keep an eye out for Depressed.
have a good holiday guildford enjoy the sun sea and kiss

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

Enjoy Guildford, hopefully a win against Kent will see your return for the final push across no mans lands towards the promised land Very Happy

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

Have a good holiday Guildford OK

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

Have a good time Guidlford!

Back to Jon Lewis, I think it is a good move and brings some much needed experience to the seam bowling unit at Surrey, it should help the development of our youngsters. The interview Adams did with Surrey TV pretty much says the same, the news wasn't meant to come out yet but it was obviously leaked. It is also interesting that Lewis decided he wanted to leave Gloucestershire and Surrey were contacted to ask if we were interested and Adams jumped at the chance.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down