The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question regarding ball identification marks

+3
oldparwin
super_realist
Marcus
7 posters

Go down

Question regarding ball identification marks Empty Question regarding ball identification marks

Post by Marcus Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:07 pm

I went out for 9 holes with a couple of friends this afternoon, and as I was trying out a new putter I marked my ball by putting a line around the entire circumference of the ball, so I could see how it was coming off the face. One of the chaps I played with mentioned that he once knew someone who had been DQ'd from a competition for marking the ball in such a way.

I don't normally mark my ball like that, and I'm pretty sure he is wrong, but it put doubts in my mind. It has been about 15 years since I picked up a golf rule book, so if anyone can clarify, I'd be most appreciative.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Question regarding ball identification marks Empty Re: Question regarding ball identification marks

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

I'm not sure on the definitive rule, but I can't see the problem with it, as I said in a similar thread you can only see one half of the ball at a time.

If it is a rule, it's just another example of golf and it's silly jobsworth rules which maintain the belief it's an old farts game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Question regarding ball identification marks Empty Re: Question regarding ball identification marks

Post by oldparwin Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:31 pm

That's what annoys me about golf those who do not know the rules just make some up, sorry but your friend is talking crap

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

There's nothing in the rules to stop you putting a line on the ball, providing that it isn't marked in a way that could assist you (whatever that is).

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:52 pm

I have taken this from the rules of golf:

Markings applied using a felt-tip pen are not contrary to this Rule. Rules 6-5 and 12-2 encourage the player to put an identification mark on his ball to help ensure that he plays his own ball throughout the round. There are no regulations to limit what or how many markings can be applied to the ball by the player, provided its original markings can be discerned.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:37 am

oldparwin wrote:I have taken this from the rules of golf:

Markings applied using a felt-tip pen are not contrary to this Rule. Rules 6-5 and 12-2 encourage the player to put an identification mark on his ball to help ensure that he plays his own ball throughout the round. There are no regulations to limit what or how many markings can be applied to the ball by the player, provided its original markings can be discerned.

Thanks. I think that confirms that my friend was talking rubbish, as suspected. I didn't think there would be any limitation, as I remember some American player covering each ball with markings of his kids names. I think it may have been Duffy Waldorf.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:04 am

Its rather funny that the ping half and half coloured ball was banned some years ago, yet your allowed to draw a line right round the ball !!

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:08 am

dr_peeps wrote:Its rather funny that the ping half and half coloured ball was banned some years ago, yet your allowed to draw a line right round the ball !!

i agree, surely drawing a line round it could be classed as 'helping or assiting in some way'??

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

Marcus wrote:

Thanks. I think that confirms that my friend was talking rubbish, as suspected. I didn't think there would be any limitation, as I remember some American player covering each ball with markings of his kids names. I think it may have been Duffy Waldorf.

When John McLaren (now Luke Donald's caddy) used to caddy for Duffy, a group of lads from our club met up with them (as friends of John) during one of The Opens (Muirfield, I think). Duffy gave the lads some balls to 'decorate' for him. 5 minutes later, Duffy was presented with 24 golf balls covered in drawings of boobies, nobs and pints of Guinness.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:57 am

Was the Ping ball banned?

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:43 pm

The Ping Ball was banned from Competition Golf !!

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:48 pm

Are you sure?

There's nothing in the rules about two colour balls as far as I know. It could have been banned because it exceeded the performance spec.

I don't recall it being banned though.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 12 Oct 2011, 1:01 pm

Those Ping balls go for crazy money on eBay. Über collectable these days.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down