The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which ball?

+8
barragan
golfermartin
navyblueshorts
pedro
raycastleunited
Sand
super_realist
Eyetoldyouso
12 posters

Go down

Which ball? Empty Which ball?

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed 24 Sep 2014, 1:30 pm

It's foursomes and Player A is contracted to Titleist and Player B is contracted to Nike. Which ball do they use and why? You are allowed to assume that the rules of the competition permit ball changes between holes.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Which ball? Empty Re: Which ball?

Post by super_realist Wed 24 Sep 2014, 1:34 pm

NOt sure, but I think for consistency they aren't going to keep chopping and changing the make of ball
In tournament strokeplay golf, not sure about matchplay, you have to play the same brand and model throughout your round. If you start with a PRO-V1x, you can't change to a PRO-V1.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed 24 Sep 2014, 1:37 pm

They obviously choose one ball. Apparently I read that it could be Rory and Kaymer, and Kaymer was practicing in Germany last week with Nike balls. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen but I would imagine players likely to partner each other would have practiced with the other brand.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:01 pm

I understand prospective partners will practice with their partner's brand to get used to it, and then they'll decide together what to go with. I saw an interview with Monty on sky last night (part of the non-stop 24/7 Ryder cup warm up on SS4, sorry "Sky Sports Ryder Cup Channel") in which he said he got a sent a crate of balls with "Faldo" stamped on them ahead of the 93 Cup, and was told in no uncertain terms that he would have to switch to Faldo's ball.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:14 pm

They agree beforehand which ball to play.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:53 pm

raycastleunited wrote:I understand prospective partners will practice with their partner's brand to get used to it, and then they'll decide together what to go with. I saw an interview with Monty on sky last night (part of the non-stop 24/7 Ryder cup warm up on SS4, sorry "Sky Sports Ryder Cup Channel") in which he said he got a sent a crate of balls with "Faldo" stamped on them ahead of the 93 Cup, and was told in no uncertain terms that he would have to switch to Faldo's ball.
Now, why am I not at all surprised by this story?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:55 pm

As for the balls, I'm not sure it'll make a lot of difference to these guys. I would imagine most of them use the 'X' type of tour balls (i.e. Pro V1x) and, despite what the OEMs would have us believe, they're pretty much of a muchness.
I would imagine a bit of practice with a prospective partner's ball makes sense but other than that, I can't see it being that big a thing.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:58 pm

I was under the impression that they could change balls in foursomes. Wasn't that the cause of the upset at the Belfry between Seve and Azinger (I think). The Americans were alternating depending upon wose drive it was and had accidentally used the wrong ball on a hole and Seve was trying to claim for it a hole later. Or am I hallucinating?

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 24 Sep 2014, 3:23 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:As for the balls, I'm not sure it'll make a lot of difference to these guys. I would imagine most of them use the 'X' type of tour balls (i.e. Pro V1x) and, despite what the OEMs would have us believe, they're pretty much of a muchness.
I would imagine a bit of practice with a prospective partner's ball makes sense but other than that, I can't see it being that big a thing.
not so sure - took Rory a while to get used to the nike whateveritis ball

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed 24 Sep 2014, 4:32 pm

This question has intrigued me for years. I am a bit of a golf anorak.

A few Ryder Cups ago, I can't remember which, I asked this very same question on an on-line forum and the authoritative answer given by a player was:-

On each hole they will generally use the ball of the player who is hitting into the green.

Last edited by Eyetoldyouso on Wed 24 Sep 2014, 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 24 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

Maybe the Ryder cup is as good a place as any to trial the tournament ball system?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 24 Sep 2014, 4:47 pm

shut up about your bloody tournament ball system Mac, would you rather football went back to lace up balls, or F1 back to cross-ply tyres?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 24 Sep 2014, 7:00 pm

Doesn't the Captains Agreement say that the one-ball rule is not in play for the Foursomes?  I know it is for the Prez Cup.

If that is true, then typically the ball is switched from hole to hole depending on what player is hitting the approach shot to the green.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 24 Sep 2014, 9:36 pm

The one ball rule has been in play at some previous Ryder Cups, hence the dispute between Ballesteros and Azinger at Kiawah. Azinger changed a 90 compression ball for a 100 compression ball. Since it was the same model ball nobody knew whether that infinged the rule or not. By the time the challenge happened Beck and Azinger had been using it for a few holes anyway so nothing was done.

In the previous Ryder Cup at the Belfry Ballesteros had tried to change his ball in mid hole because he said it was scuffed, under rule 5.3. It was buried in the rough as well. Neither Azinger nor the ref allowed him to change so he objected to Azinger's drop on the 18th later in the round.

I don't know if the one ball rule is being used this year but if not then I guess the player hitting the shot to the green in foursomes would be the one to choose the ball as eyetoldyou suggested.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 24 Sep 2014, 11:40 pm

barragan wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:As for the balls, I'm not sure it'll make a lot of difference to these guys. I would imagine most of them use the 'X' type of tour balls (i.e. Pro V1x) and, despite what the OEMs would have us believe, they're pretty much of a muchness.
not so sure - took Rory a while to get used to the nike whateveritis ball

And Westwood's short game has never been good since he switched to pinnacles

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kouchi Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:57 pm

"....A rules change in 2006 partly explains the reduced angst. Instead of having to play one make and model of ball the entire round,teammates now can switch golf balls on each hole, providing a different kind of strategy...."

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2012/09/why-golf-balls-can-play-a-big-role-in-ryder-cup-foursomes-ma.html

kouchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down