The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to make use of the power of the forum

+10
navyblueshorts
Adam D
drive4show
Doc
Maverick
Davie
McLaren
sharrison01
Lairdy
LondonJonnyO
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Time to make use of the power of the forum Empty Time to make use of the power of the forum

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:52 am

OK guys.

Now that we're starting to migrate en masse we can start making use of some of the additional functionality of this place.

I've noticed that there is a usergroups section at the top. Without looking into it too deeply I can see that there is a group Moderators. I'd like a golfers group that we all join. We can use that to easily identify the golf posting users who are online... and also to send out group mailshots about anything we want to look into (get togethers, open events, anything really)

All in favour say aye and moderators please get onto group creation.

:bitchslap: (thats motivation for the mods by the way!)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Time to make use of the power of the forum Empty Re: Time to make use of the power of the forum

Post by Lairdy Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:56 am

Aye!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Time to make use of the power of the forum Empty Re: Time to make use of the power of the forum

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:58 am

Aye...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:59 am

Aye
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Nice idea but I don't know if the usergroups feature works that way. As mods, we can't see to that depth - it needs to be addressed by one of the admins to figure out if it can be utilized like that. Nice idea if it works though!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Aye Aye :pirat:

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Possibly it doesn't... but if that works the next thing I'll want is to use the calendar to list events that we're planning to play/setup whatever else and use that to drive an attendees list.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Aye good shout thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm saying 'Aye' to the concept but do we actually need it? If you look at the right hand side of each posting you can see if a member is online or not and there is the facility to send a private message. Plus the other stuff mentioned can be covered in the articles as usual anyway?

One thing that would be useful if at all possible is the ability to read back on the thread whilst composing a reply. It's handy if you want to make reference to somebody's comments. Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Time to make use of the power of the forum Empty mailshots etc!

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Sounds great!

Could increase visitor fees to our own clubs - perhaps secure discounted rates?

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:39 pm

drive4show wrote:I'm saying 'Aye' to the concept but do we actually need it? If you look at the right hand side of each posting you can see if a member is online or not and there is the facility to send a private message. Plus the other stuff mentioned can be covered in the articles as usual anyway?

One thing that would be useful if at all possible is the ability to read back on the thread whilst composing a reply. It's handy if you want to make reference to somebody's comments. Very Happy

that feature is already there (below your message box)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Aye. Sounds useful in principle. thumbsup
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:36 pm

The default thread view isn't very nice either. We should be showing the posts in a descending posted date order so that the newest addition is always shown on the front page of each thread.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:39 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:The default thread view isn't very nice either. We should be showing the posts in a descending posted date order so that the newest addition is always shown on the front page of each thread.

disagree with this.

I much prefer to see the threads that are being used at the top. If you have a thread that needs reading for whatever reason, you can pm a moderator who will make it sticky for you (as in it stays at the top).

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:42 pm

I think you misunderstand.

I'm not talking about the thread view itself but the posts within a thread.

Look at the "Nice round these parts" thread. There are 5 pages of posts and you need to go to the last page to see the latest addition. It would be better if the view you saw when you open a thread is of the most recently posted messages rather than having to navigate to get to the updates.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:I think you misunderstand.

I'm not talking about the thread view itself but the posts within a thread.

Look at the "Nice round these parts" thread. There are 5 pages of posts and you need to go to the last page to see the latest addition. It would be better if the view you saw when you open a thread is of the most recently posted messages rather than having to navigate to get to the updates.

I agree with that - I will see what we can do

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:48 pm

LJ - to be fair, that's the way it always was on 606v1. At least for me!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Not really MPB. The default view when you looked at what people were saying was the latest 10 messages.

Unless you opened the thread from within your member page and then it defaulted to all messages from the start of the thread without the original article. (if memory serves)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:54 pm

LJ - when you are viewing a forum (such as the golf forum) there is a tiny white icon at the right hand end of the subject line that takes you to the last post.

Also if you are logged in, there is a similar icon over on the left of each subject line (coloured orange) that will take you to the first post that you've not yet seen :albino:

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Is that better?

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:58 pm

I think that's better. Although others may disagree.

:albino: 🐘 :bitchslap:

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Could we have a consensus please ladies and gents?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Much better certainly makes it easier :cheers:

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Yuck no!

I don't think it was the order of posts that LJ was talking about

Keep newest posts at the bottom please.

I gave him suggestions up there (or down there) of how he can achieve what he wants

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Message to anyone with the power - is there a way to organise the topics in order of 'last commented' so we know what's current?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Let me dive back into the admin cupboard and have a looksie....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:02 pm

MPB,

That should appear automatically. Most recent posts and commented will appear at the top.

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:03 pm

LJ - your memory does serve correctly. I used to mostly go into articles from my member page. Do most others not?
I'd prefer the new posts at the bottom but can't say i'm majorly fussed either way
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:04 pm

PLEASE - put the post order back as it was!

We read top down in this country, not bottom up!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Trouble is with having newest posts at the top is you have to scroll from the bottom up to follow the thread of a conversation! I can see where LJ is coming from but I found it better the other way around. You'll never satisfy everyone.

Good to see the golf board has more posts on it than any of the others Very Happy
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:04 pm

KB - ok thank, i'll have another look
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:05 pm

But I often read right to left.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Ok,

You can either have the most recent articles at the top, or the most popular.

As for how the posts appear it's either most recent first or oldest.

I've extended the amount of posts on a page to 25.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm

King Beer wrote:Ok,

You can either have the most recent articles at the top, or the most popular.

As for how the posts appear it's either most recent first or oldest.

I've extended the amount of posts on a page to 25.

On the topic list, keep the most recent at the top. Stickies can be used to keep popular ones at the top

posts: oldest first. As I wrote earlier there are easier ways to get to the latest or first unread post

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Ok, done.

Does anyone have any other issues? Would you prefer more posts per page?

Would you like the previous few posts to appear on a new page?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:10 pm

I've also set Announcements and Sticky's (Popular threads) to appear in a seperate table, does that make it better?

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Yes. As the most active and clearly most popular board can Golf be put right at the top?

Very Happy
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Ermm, no! :lol:

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm

IMO fine the way it is now.

Don't listen to that LJ .. he's just a bunny botherer Time to make use of the power of the forum 3933776953

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm

LJ - i like it that idea! Make it happen KB
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 pm

I have never bothered a bunny. The bunny bothered me!

:bitchslap:
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Ok guys!

Any more issues just holler!

Enjoy the forum and i will sort out the sub forums this evening or this afternoon, depending on my workload!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Aye

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Can anyone try to sell the idea of sub forums to me as I'm just not a fan!?!

I've seen them on other forums but to be honest unless I'm, say, looking for some new sticks I will never think to go into that sub forum. The great thing with 606 was that you would just click on every article for the chat whether you are enticed by the title or not. Sub forums, for me, are too rigid - how many times have you clicked on some uninteresting article and ended up having a great debate about something completely different? Having the choice of sub forums makes you miss this and you then end up with a few people on lots of topics rather than lots of people on fewer topics.

Any thoughts?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Harrison makes a good point there.

although if we are going down the sub-forum route can I request one entitled

"Ireland is British"?

thumbsup
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm

It's entirely up to you guys.

If you want a sub forum to seperate meetings and for sale stuff then great, however, i don't see the point in 8 sub forums that are all different ways of having general discussion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:38 pm

King Beer wrote:It's entirely up to you guys.

If you want a sub forum to seperate meetings and for sale stuff then great, however, i don't see the point in 8 sub forums that are all different ways of having general discussion.

I agree with KB so if LJ wants a sub forum for his extra caricular activities, namely dogging, he'll have to flick between 2 sites Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:39 pm

It's all about the bunnies now doc.

:albino:

really. You must keep up with these things. :bitchslap: WORK HARDER!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Maybe have two sub sections - Kwini and everyone else. Then we can all keep tabs on his articles without having to look for them!

Is he on here yet?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:43 pm

I can't see a Kwini on the username list... so he might not have migrated just yet.

We'll have to nudge him.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next