The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The House

2 posters

Go down

The House Empty The House

Post by Guest Fri 25 Feb 2011, 7:51 pm

OK, this is something that has bothered me for ages. When asking people about it they just think im daft and laugh it off without answering.
So Knowledge section, please enlighten me.

In a house you have the bed room, it has a bed in it.
You have the bath room, it has a bath in it.
You have the sitting room, you sit on the couch in it.
You have the dining room, you eat in it.
And then you get the kitchen Shocked

Why is a kitchen called the kitchen and not the cooking room?

Back to top Go down

The House Empty Re: The House

Post by Adam D Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:26 pm

It comes from the German word "Kuchen", which means to cook or cake.

I found this on wikipedia:

"Kuchen, the German word for cake, is used as the name for several different types of sweet desserts, pastries, and gateaux. The term itself may cover as many distinct desserts as its English counterpart "cake."

Kuchen desserts are presumably handed down from people of German heritage and as such are often popular in many areas of German settlement in the United States, particularly North Dakota, South Dakota, Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Kuchen was introduced into the Chilean cuisine when German immigrants settled southern Chile in the 1850s. Kuchens in Chile do always have fruits, such as apples, strawberries or murtas. Now kuchens are found in nearly every Chilean supermarket.

Also - Middle English kichene, from Old English cycene, probably from Vulgar Latin *cocna, from Late Latin coquna, from feminine of Latin coqunus, of cooking, from coquus, cook, from coquere, to cook.

Shall I lock the thread or do you want frivellous answers as well?!? kiss

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Feb 2011, 8:32 pm

I was hoping for a few wierd and wonderful answers Hobo, perhaps they will follow next..........
kiss

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 25 Feb 2011, 9:01 pm

who cares? I'm a bloke I rarely go in there except to get beer from the fridge. And I'm working on a beer fridge for the living room to stop that happening anyway.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Feb 2011, 11:25 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote: I'm working on a beer fridge for the living room to stop that happening anyway.

nice one, what does this entail? https://www.606v2.com/t436-dragons-den-606v2-style

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down