The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comics - Whats your faves?

+16
TRUSSMAN66
Derbymanc
bhb001
rIck_dAgless
hodge
Ent
ChequeredJersey
TopHat24/7
Smirnoffpriest
ScarletSpiderman
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
sugarNspikes
Lee
Adam D
President Trump
Big Daddy Bee
20 posters

Go down

Comics - Whats your faves? Empty Comics - Whats your faves?

Post by Big Daddy Bee Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am

Well I'm currently catching up on Rob Zombie's The Haunted World of El Superbeasto but normally I'm a big Marvel fanboy.

My fave series is probably The Marvel Zombies but I love the Avengers and I <3 Thor ( can't wait for the movie).

What are you guys into?

Big Daddy Bee

Back to top Go down

Comics - Whats your faves? Empty Re: Comics - Whats your faves?

Post by President Trump Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 am

I a huge Avengers fan myself, I started to collect the "New Avengers" Graphic Novels but ive fallen behind a bit

My favourite series were either the original "Onslaught" series, "The House of M" or the "Civil War" series, I was truely shocked when Cap got killed

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:03 am

Dont buy any to be honest - the only one I have ever got was the Walking dead compendium.

After watching the Watchmen movie, I got the GN out of the library and really didnt like it - I thought the film was better in truth!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Bee Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 am

Hobo, is the film any good? I keep meaning to watch it but hearing bad thinds about it.

Big Daddy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 am

I watched it in 3 sittings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:34 am

Big Daddy Bee wrote:Hobo, is the film any good? I keep meaning to watch it but hearing bad thinds about it.

I thought it was excellent but then again I know people who love the comic but hated the film.

Its long and dark but very very well made.

Zack Snyder is one of my favourite new directors - looking forward to Sucker Punch next.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm

'Batman - The Long Halloween' is an amazing read
'Y The Last Man' was great too
Civil War, World War Hulk most of the big crossovers and big stories are usually good reads

I read a few of the New Avengers but same as Dicey I got behind, having had no money for a few years has put me so behind in the stories that it is a bit overwhelming trying to catch up, but money should be on the up so I plan to catch up as fast as I can.

But I think I am up to just after Civil War? think I need secret Invasion onwards. either way there is a lot of comic buying for me :P

Lee

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lee-Killeen-Portfolio/4127373

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Lee there is alot to catch up on, Im still trying Laugh , there is the Secret Invasion, The Dark Avengers, Seige, Secret Avengers and now Avengers vs Xmen Erm

Ever since the New 52 comics came out in DC I have been hooked on Aquaman, he is one superhero that gets an awful lot of stick and bad press but the comic is brilliant and shows a darker moodier side to him

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Whizzer and Chips.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:23 am

The Dandy is to print it's final edition at the end of this year Sad

I wonder if it's not too long until the Beano follows suit? That would be a dark dark day. I bought a Beano just last week.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:31 am

Viz.

Nothing like Sid the Sexist, Billy the Fish and Biffa Bacon!

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:27 pm

JUst read 'Marvels' that was pretty impressive, and Alex Ross' art work is so realistic.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 pm

AM not huge into comics if I'm honest, I read some of the Sin City series by Frank Miller and it's good an atmospheric but I prefer novels as they go into more detail and draw you in more.

I love and would highly recommend the Watchmen by Alan Moore (despite Adam D's comment! Very Happy). In particular I love the 'Tales of the Black Freighter' comic that a Watchmen character is reading throughout the book, and also the questions of marality and hero that the book asks, more insistently than the film.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am

Electric Demon wrote:The Dandy is to print it's final edition at the end of this year Sad

I wonder if it's not too long until the Beano follows suit? That would be a dark dark day. I bought a Beano just last week.

Grew up reading The Dandy, very sad news, remember it being just 10p!

Sad

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:42 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Electric Demon wrote:The Dandy is to print it's final edition at the end of this year Sad

Grew up reading The Dandy, very sad news, remember it being just 10p!

Sad

Even better was the fact that the mini-tube of refreshers or fruit pastles that nearly always came with it would probably have cost 5p back then too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:39 pm

The Sandman
Books of Magic
Maus

The Sandman is, and I strongly believe this, a piece of literature on a level with anything produced in the last 30 years. It is perfect
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Does anyone collect comics monthly and if so which ones

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:17 am

Dicey Reilly wrote:Does anyone collect comics monthly and if so which ones

I got lazy and signed up for the fortnightly mail order part-work collection (marvel ultimate collection, i think), it covers the whole marvel range from the 60s to modern day, but it does unfortunately lead to you getting a bit lost when with the differnent generations of heroes and what powers/allies/villans they have to deal with.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:15 am

As I said above I've started to collect the New 52 Aquaman comics which have been outstanding so far (well #0 this month was a bit flat for a prequel), I have also been collecting the 4 part mini series of Space Punisher which has a great Judge Dread feel to the artwork and action

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:59 am

I recommend Robocop done by Frank Miller. I have had my collection for 23 years!! Bit ripped, but they are a stunning read. Did buy some of his Sin City stuff, but didn't thrill me in the way Robocop did.

I have been watching the 90's Spiderman on youtube. On episode 56. Man I wish Venom was in more than just 4 of the episodes.

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 am

You should check out the new Amazing Spiderman cartoon, it is the best one so far, brilliantly funny and the storylines are great and they have Venom down to a tee even thought its the wrong blike in the symbiote

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Bump.

Anyone know a good site for someone looking to get into/rediscover comics/graphic novels?

Ideally would like a reading list of sorts that are available easily/ on ereader.

It's tempting to just pick up a random few but I'd like some order to them if possible!

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:53 am

Dicey Reilly wrote:You should check out the new Amazing Spiderman cartoon, it is the best one so far, brilliantly funny and the storylines are great and they have Venom down to a tee even thought its the wrong blike in the symbiote

I have just finished watching the second season, gutted that it is the end of it too be honest. I really liked it. The way the stories were new and fresh, but still had a good nod to the past with the odd reference here or there etc. Definately recomend it as one of the best Spiderman cartoons.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:29 am

Going to get into Marvel comics I reckon, i've read Civil War and Avengers Vs X men. Not so fussed on reading in order but the ones that sounds appealing to me.

Want to read Plant Hulk and World War Hulk, Infinity Quest(?) well the ones based around the infinity gauntlet to be going on with.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Planet Hulk is pretty good. Haven't read World War Hulk yet.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

all the planet hulk through to the world war hulk are great, would recommend Future imperfect also

if you are starting to get into the comics Hodge then the secret wars would be a good place to start, then go for the infinity guanlet crossovers

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:47 am

rick_dagless wrote:all the planet hulk through to the world war hulk are great, would recommend Future imperfect also

if you are starting to get into the comics Hodge then the secret wars would be a good place to start, then go for the infinity guanlet crossovers

Just make sure that you don't get it mixed up with Secret War. Secrets Wars is a 12 issue collection that involves all the major players in the Marvel universe (X-Men, FF, Hulk, Avengers, Spidey etc) that came out in 1984-1985, where as Secret War is a far more modern 5 part story, that contains less of the main stream heroes/villians.

Another good universe wide story would be Cival War, it contains pretty much everyone, and is fairly modern.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Yep Secret War is not Great either!

The Carnage crossovers were pretty good too if you like your spidey

Inifinity war evil dopelganger vibe was a belter too

there was even a crossover based on a series of votes between DC heroes (superman, green latern, Lobo etc) and marvel heroes (Hulk Surfer etc) and fans voted on a victor which then played out in comic form. Quite good fun as a brief distraction

One of my favourite crossovers of all time is also the 2000 AD deadman saga (though not marvel)

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:39 am

Frank Millers work on Daredevil is always worth a look at, especially Born Again.

Other than that, go for something by Garth Ennis. Hellblazer, Preacher and Hitman are all superb.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:25 pm

I've recently got my wife into reading comics too. She started off with reading some of the Punisher MAX titles, and has since moved on to reading the majority of the Noir titles (and Deadpool Pulp) and is now starting to read the Marvel Now Gambit stuff, oh and she's read Marvels (the one drawn by Alex Ross)

To be honest it is funny as hell because she used to tell me that I was reverting to being a kid for reading them, and now when she finishes a book, she says to me 'So what's next then?'
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Just reread Planet Hulk and World War Hulk for about the 10th time and also House of M (inc avengers dissasembled)

Fables is Spot on for something different and the walking deads started to get interesting again.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Just read "The Strange Talent of Luther Strode" and now starting "The Legend of Luther Strode" All comics/Graphic novels are downloaded and read on my tablet.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:13 pm

I used to collect Iron Man comics..........Starting in the bronze age era when I was a kid to picking up the whole collection in the 90s when I was more "affluent"...........(Well 1-400 anyway).....

Paid £200 for number 1 a CGI copy.................Also collected Tales of suspense which featured Iron Man and Captain America before they got their own comics.........Think 38 was Iron Man's first appearance..........TOS set me back quite a few hundred as well......Artwork was fantastic..

Got rid of them a few years ago because my oldest didn't appear interested and I wasn't expecting another boy to come along..

Should of kept them really as an investment as I didn't need the money they got me..

Kind of why I have a problem with Downey Jr as Iron man................Because Howard Hughes is Iron Man and Downey's personality and features are nothing like him....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Never had you down for a comics man Trussy.

Downey's perfect for this generations Iron Man, although Iron Man isn't one of my favourites,

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Never had you down for a comics man Trussy.

Downey's perfect for this generations Iron Man, although Iron Man isn't one of my favourites,

That is where I struggle a bit with comics, every time they revamp a character it takes me a while to get used to the tweaks they have made to their personality/back story etc.

A good example the General Nick Fury that I grew up was very different from Samuel L Jackson (although he fits the modern Fury spot on).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Robert Taylor was made for the role of Iron Man..............Not sure you guys would have heard of him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:26 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:Never had you down for a comics man Trussy.

That is where I struggle a bit with comics, every time they revamp a character it takes me a while to get used to the tweaks they have made to their personality/back story etc.

A good example the General Nick Fury that I grew up was very different from Samuel L Jackson (although he fits the modern Fury spot on).

That's because Samuel L Jacksons's Furry is based off the Ultimate Nick Furry character compared to the older version.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Bull, that's what I meant.  When they revamped the marvel universe, they tweaked Fury from his original style to a more modern one
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:35 am

Scarlet wrote:Bull, that's what I meant. When they revamped the marvel universe, they tweaked Fury from his original style to a more modern one

New Lobo run is a prime example of this...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:51 am

If you haven't read any of the Ultimate Universe stuff then I would recommend that. Near enough all of it is brilliant and gives a better look at some of the normal supes without the horrendous back stories.

Has anyone read 'The Boys'??/

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentban Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 am

Any of the old batman comics, Hush, Long Halloween etc are favorites. Recently Death of a Family was very good.

Kingdom Come is excellent and Alex Ross is a genius! Would love to own an original piece of his.

World War Hulk is great. Can relate to the anger and rage.

Regarding Iron Man. Yes he was originally based around Howard Hughes, but if you actually read the modern comics you will find his personality is far closer to Roberts wise cracking personality. Like the majority of comic book characters there personality change over the years. Prime example Cyclops in Xmen.. was the Xaviers golden boy and now is more like Magneto at the start of the Xmen comics.

Silentban

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Silentban wrote:Any of the old batman comics, Hush, Long Halloween etc are favorites. Recently Death of a Family was very good.

Kingdom Come is excellent and Alex Ross is a genius! Would love to own an original piece of his.

Regarding Iron Man. Yes he was originally based around Howard Hughes, but if you actually read the modern comics you will find his personality is far closer to Roberts wise cracking personality. Like the majority of comic book characters there personality change over the years. Prime example Cyclops in Xmen.. was the Xaviers golden boy and now is more like Magneto at the start of the Xmen comics.  

Stan Lee based him on Howard Hughes.....He invented him..............So If you change him he becomes something that isn't Iron man..

My Wife is a refined, classy red head from Cheshire.............If I wake up tomorrow with a dark haired, cocky, unrefined Bonacker.........

Then it isn't the woman I married........get my point ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:17 am

Your just too set in your ways Trussy Wink
not a fan of comics Iron Man and was hoping they were going to shake him up completely after Civil War, but alas we went back to the norm and I went back to hoping someone would smash him up.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:09 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Silentban wrote:Any of the old batman comics, Hush, Long Halloween etc are favorites. Recently Death of a Family was very good.

Stan Lee based him on Howard Hughes.....He invented him..............So If you change him he becomes something that isn't Iron man..

My Wife is a refined, classy red head from Cheshire.............If I wake up tomorrow with a dark haired, cocky, unrefined Bonacker.........

Given your opinion of your wife at times, TRUSSY, you're not putting up much of a compelling argument for changing Stark's personality

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:41 am

My wife is a Cheshire redhead too Truss, I wondered where she kept nipping off to.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentban Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:51 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Characters evolve. Happens with majority of comic book characters.

Silentban

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Really like The Watchmen as a graphic novel, completely in awe of the Rorsach character, think he's brilliant

Just ordered Avengers: Age of Ultron graphic novel

Back to top Go down

Post by 22-2 Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:44 am

Comic convention in Cardiff this weekend should be pretty pretty, pretty good!

22-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:53 am

WElcome Larry David Fan!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:05 am

The comic cons are spot on, especially if you've got young kids. Make sure you let them dress up and take a camera.

We went to the manc one this year and while it was mostly stores selling stuff, just the opportunity for my lad to shake Deadpool, Batmans etc's hands and my daughter to see Elsa and Anna from Frozen was worth it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down