The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assault In The Ring

+7
Atila
Waingro
compelling and rich
School Project
The Galveston Giant
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Wazzas New Hair
11 posters

Go down

Assault In The Ring Empty Assault In The Ring

Post by Wazzas New Hair Fri 16 Sep 2011, 6:51 pm

Fairly new to boxing but recently watched the excellent documentary Assault in the Ring which detailed the fight between Luis Resto and Billy Collins jnr where Collins career was ended after Resto used plaster wraps.

Upon reflection Resto himself comes across fairly well albeit a desperate and easily led human being, his career was going nowhere so on advice of his trainer Panama Lewis committed the mortal sin inside a boxing ring hoping to propel his career with a win over a promising up and comer in Collins.

Rather than discussing the night itself I was more interested in the aftermath which left a trail of destruction in it's wake with Lewis the only one who seemingly got on with his life despite being portayed as the main perpetrator.

Collins after his forced retirement turned to alcohol and died in a suspected suicide car crash
His family were never able to overcome the loss of their son
Restos career ended and was left to live in near poverty with no money to his
But Lewis despite his ban carried on training and was heavily involved in the career of Judah

So how did the man who should have lost the most end up losing the least?

Wazzas New Hair

Back to top Go down

Assault In The Ring Empty Re: Assault In The Ring

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

I know absolutely nothing about this where did you watch the documentary?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:00 pm

It was disgusting the amount of money he made for training Judah against Mayweather, it's a brilliant documentary and would recommend to all, felt sorry for Resto.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:00 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I know absolutely nothing about this where did you watch the documentary?

Kev have you not seen it, you are in for a treat, it's in Scotts thread let me find it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:03 pm

Kev it's in the boxing vault under scott's documentary's
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

Nice one mate I'll watch it later my daughter is causing mayhem just now. Need to wait until she's sleeping!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:07 pm

It was one of the most graphic and sad things I've seen of this sport. I wont ever forget Collins face swelling and getting busted up in the first two rounds.

It was the moment when Collins Trainer went to shake Restos hand and felt the padding was removed Resto tried pulling his hands away. He knew what was going on.

It's sickening to think the same was almost replicated with Margarito (or should I say already did happen when he fought Cotto).

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

Yeah it's a heavy one mate, you'll enjoy it, my house is like a dog kennel at the minute. Just going to get rid of one now. thumbsup
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Wazzas New Hair Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

Don't like the comparisons with Margarito myself, have watched that fight many times and hate him as I do he did not act like a man with plaster wraps after the fight, was too forthcoming shaking hands and taking his gloves off.

Wazzas New Hair

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:15 pm

boxing is its own worse enemy at times, letting panama lewis carry on in the sport is one of its worst

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:21 pm

Wazzas New Hair wrote:Don't like the comparisons with Margarito myself, have watched that fight many times and hate him as I do he did not act like a man with plaster wraps after the fight, was too forthcoming shaking hands and taking his gloves off.

Sorry mate, are you saying Resto was too forthcoming allowing his hands to be shaken or Margarito?

From what I remember, Resto was looking pretty sheepish when Collins trainer was screaming for the ref to come over.

Either way, the comparisons are there, the trainers (with or without the boxers knowledge) were willing to cause more punishment than a fighter deserves. In the case of Resto vs. Collins, the damage was severe enough to cause one man to kill himself and destroy a families life.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

Mate boxing is corrupt its sad but not surprising that these things happen in it.

Another way of looking at it is how come the trainer did not check the gloves before the fight?? That is his responsiblity to check or the refs responsiblity to make sure it is not illegal it seems someone did not do their job right until it was too late. Mosely found out that Margarito was a cheat coz his trainer checked his wraps before the fight.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 16 Sep 2011, 8:20 pm

Put it this way, a guy who has his hands wrapped 5 or 6 times a week would KNOW the weight and feeling of a plaster wrap around the knuckles...

A guy who trains in 12 oz gloves and is used to 8 oz on fight night would KNOW the padding is removed.

You can plead innocence but when you put a fresh pair of 8/10/12 oz gloves on and you do some pad work, you know the difference between a fresh pair, a worn pair and a pair with half of the padding removed.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

Wazzas New Hair wrote:Don't like the comparisons with Margarito myself, have watched that fight many times and hate him as I do he did not act like a man with plaster wraps after the fight, was too forthcoming shaking hands and taking his gloves off.
Who was forthcoming shaking hands with his gloves off...Margarito? Margarito thankfully got caught before he fought Mosley. After the fight there was no reason why he couldn't take his gloves off and shake hands. Resto was a diffrent situation. He was found to have had padding taken out of his gloves, he didn't have 'plaster wraps'.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Wazzas New Hair Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:43 am

The accusations levelled at Margarito for the Cotto fight, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest he used plaster of paris in that fight, would he really take his gloves off straight away?

Wazzas New Hair

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

Just look at the way Cotto was cut up, how often do you see damage like that in boxing?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wazzas New Hair Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

Quite often actually, it seems to be the only thing people can use against Margarito for that fight, Cotto got hammered from pillar to post round after round so it's only natural he's going to look a bit worse for wear.

Wazzas New Hair

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 6:30 pm

Have absolutely no sympathy for Resto, and nor have I ever. Don't see why he should get a free pass for what he did purely because he did it on someone else's advice. Given that he's since admitted that he "went along" with what Lewis told him to do, and that any fighter worth his salt would surely know that something was amiss when your trainer is demanding time alone with the gloves, and I find these claims that he had no idea what was going on incredibly fanciful too, to say the least.

Resto is a disgrace. Lewis an even bigger one, given his total lack of remorse.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 17 Sep 2011, 6:32 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Just look at the way Cotto was cut up, how often do you see damage like that in boxing?

Vitali vs Lewis? Not to name about a bazillion others.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:28 pm

Well I see them differently, Cotto's wounds seemed much less typical whereas Vitali had one tear that was steadily opened - not so rare.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:37 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Well I see them differently, Cotto's wounds seemed much less typical whereas Vitali had one tear that was steadily opened - not so rare.

Although I have suspicions about Marg vs. Cotto - just look above. Look at the damage Manny did to Cotto... he was busted up in that too, maybe the guy just swells badly.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:51 pm

Yeah, he got all swelled and marked up but not openly bleeding anything like as much as against Margarito.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:53 pm

I watched the first part of the doc last night - felt really sorry for Collins. He was really facially messed up.

I will be honest and say things like that disgust me. Boxing is supposed to be honourable - cheating knowingly is anything but.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:57 pm

Hobo watch after the last round. It's about the after effects of boxing that some fighters suffer. It's an excellent documentary. A bit anti boxing at times but I was nearly in tears at times.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:01 pm

Yeah, it's tough to watch if you're into boxing.

The only remedy to watching it is watching Gatti vs Ward... makes you appreciate boxing almost immediately!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down