The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP points race who will get the last 2 spots for London?

+2
barrystar
socal1976
6 posters

Go down

ATP points race who will get the last 2 spots for London? Empty ATP points race who will get the last 2 spots for London?

Post by socal1976 Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:07 am

Right now monfils and fish sit at the coveted 7 and 8 spots respectively for london. Berdych is sitting at #9 and Tsonga at 10. But just 140 ATP points seperate the number 10 seed from the #7 seed. Most likely 2 of the 4 players on this list will go to london and 2 will not. Who do you think is going to fill out the last two spots in this razor thin race? If I had to make a prediction I would go for Tsonga and Monfils. Berdych hasn't really played that well since Roland Garros althoug he did have that win against fed in Cincy. Fish I think has played a brutally difficult American hardcourt stretch playing in LA and Atlanta as well as the two masters and the USO all within two months and has gotten deep in all those events. Personally, i would really like to see Mardy get it because he has put in the hardwork the last 2 years to get fit and plays a varied and enjoyable style of tennis. Tsonga as well.

Other ATP rankings info, Novak opens up a massive 4,100 point lead on Nadal larger than the lead Nadal enjoyed over Fed at the start of the year. Andy Murray is actually #3 in the points race and #4 in the rankings having closed the gap with fed to just 1150. Now the onus is on Roger to defend points because he won WTF in london, won in basel, and won a couple of other big indoor events at the end of the year. If Murray plays well and Roger doesn't he has an excellent chance of pushing Roger to the #4 ranking by years end.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

ATP points race who will get the last 2 spots for London? Empty Re: ATP points race who will get the last 2 spots for London?

Post by barrystar Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:09 am

This is the current position on points gained this year; Fed has qualified behind Murray and they obviously have a real scrap for No.3-4 looming. Ferrer looks as though he will get in, leaving a battle royal for the last 3 spots from Fish down to Tsonga (I don't know how the players below are placed). I'd like to see Fish and Tsonga get through and take some attacking tennis to London. The Sod has usually added something to the party, but he's got to finish well this year like he did last year or his sojourn in the top tier will be over for a while. His game suits the indoor season well so he's in with a decent chance. I'm fed up with Berdych who has promised so much at times and can be a fairly exciting player, but has consistently failed to deliver.

Pos. Name YTD Points
1. N. Djokovic (SRB) 11,295
2. R. Nadal (ESP) 7,785
3. A. Murray (GBR) 4,730
4. R. Federer (SUI) 4,450

5. D. Ferrer (ESP) 3,420
6. M. Fish (USA) 2,505
7. N. Almagro (ESP) 2,270
8. T. Berdych (CZE) 2,260
9. R. Soderling (SWE) 2,080
10. J. Tsonga (FRA) 2,080
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

ATP points race who will get the last 2 spots for London? Empty Re: ATP points race who will get the last 2 spots for London?

Post by socal1976 Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:38 am

Yes barry it is very tight for the last couple of spots for the year ender. I think Soderling will make it, but i don't know what will happen with the last two spots. Fish I think is due for a bit of a drop back in form as he has expended a lot of energy. And you are right about Berdy has all the weapons, talent, and the experience now and its like we are always waiting for him to make that breakthrough that never happens. I was sure that when he won the Madrid ope(then indoors) over Nadal that he would be the next big thing, but that remains his lone masters and he has also made a grandslam final. But the good results seem to come along too rarely.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Almugro being in the Finals just doesn't seem real.. but of course this be the Golden Era of Dragon Slayers am i right? Almugro should never be higher ranked than Tsonga and even Berdbrain mad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 pm

I want Tsonga and maybe Sod in.....Almagro and Berdych out!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Definitely don't want Almagro to qualify.

He's basically a clay courter who'll add nothing to the competition in London.

Fish may be an interesting addition with his net play. The low bounce in London may help him.

Tsonga would be a great addition and he really is playing awesome tennis at the moment (apart from that performance at the USO).

Berdych can also be dangerous if he gets his head together.

In short, as long as Almagro and Monfils don't get through I'll be happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:45 pm

emancipator wrote:Berdych can also be dangerous if he gets his head together.

Very much over rated in my view.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by GillesSimon Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:51 pm

This mono Söderling has, is he going to be fit by then?

GillesSimon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Tenez wrote:
emancipator wrote:Berdych can also be dangerous if he gets his head together.

Very much over rated in my view.

Has he not beaten Roger in 3 of their last four meetings?, and even the one occasion that Roger won I think it was in a third set tie-breaker after Berdych served for the match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Has he not beaten Roger in 3 of their last four meetings?, and even the one occasion that Roger won I think it was in a third set tie-breaker after Berdych served for the match.
Had he beaten Nadal in Wimbledon you can expect Tenez to be a big fan. Laugh
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:00 pm

But Roger also lost a match where he had MPs there. I also think Federer wanted to pull out of Cincy and Montreal to save energy. I thought that then but watching him play at the USO confirmed it for me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Had he beaten Nadal in Wimbledon you can expect Tenez to be a big fan. Laugh

He certainly woudl have gone up a few notches but I saw a match live between those 2 Wimbledon (2007?) and many after and Berdych is a bottler.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Indeed so, took part in 1 of the most forgettable finals since dinosaur age... Rolling Eyes
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I frankly like Berdych. The way he was climbing on all the second serves of Fed in Cinci - majestic!
Berdych, Tsonga, Fish and Soderling will be my choice after top 4 but since Ferrer would definitely make it, Berdych looks to be the one losing out.
No Monfils please...

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Fedex_the_best wrote:I frankly like Berdych. The way he was climbing on all the second serves of Fed in Cinci - majestic!
Berdych, Tsonga, Fish and Soderling will be my choice after top 4 but since Ferrer would definitely make it, Berdych looks to be the one losing out.
No Monfils please...

Yep.. that would have been my choice too.

Unfortunately the pitbull looks likely to be there.

I don't think he won a match last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Yeah i can't see monfils doing much of anything against that level of competition, maybe the most talented of all those guys athletically but just a player who has not improved really since the day he came on the tour. Although if he does make it I hope gets put into Novak's group because he would be the easiest of wins for Novak.

Berdych another big talent who just doesn't ever seem to do much. Tsonga I think on an indoor could be big dark horse if he gets in.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down