The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs Derbyshire county championship division 2 1st cup final

+9
jimbohammers
ShankyCricket
Tibor
Carrotdude
thegooch7
Corporalhumblebucket
ChrisfromStroud
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
13 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

surrey vs Derbyshire county championship division 2 1st cup final - Page 7 Empty surrey vs Derbyshire county championship division 2 1st cup final

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

right on to the 1st of the cup finals this week and Chris Adams has named an unchanged squad for Surrey's decisive final game of the LV= County Championship season against Derbyshire at the Kia Oval.
The full Surrey squad to play Derbyshire at the Kia Oval is:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Gareth Batty
Chris Jordan
Stuart Meaker
Pragyan Ojha
Tim Linley
George Edwards
zafar ansari
same 11 as last time then

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Derbyshire county championship division 2 1st cup final - Page 7 Empty Re: surrey vs Derbyshire county championship division 2 1st cup final

Post by Carrotdude Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Next year will be very tough, remember our matches against the team who won the league above us when we got well and truly battered both times? The different ball might bring about improved fortunes for Ramps but despite my reservations about the way some of the batsmen go about their cricket I have to say I really love our exciting brand of cricket - it gets results!

Bring in a quality spinner if possible and another batsman, an opener ideally, and I think we will be able to hold our own up there - Warks are about to win the league after just getting promoted so who knows!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Derbyshire county championship division 2 1st cup final - Page 7 Empty Re: surrey vs Derbyshire county championship division 2 1st cup final

Post by Tibor Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:16 am

I trust everyone has now downloaded the computer desktop background from the Kia Oval website! Wink

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Tibor wrote:Lets not forget too that if Leicestershire hold Middlesex to a draw (they're batting much better second time around!), then Surrey could still claim the title of Division Two.

What an amazing scenario that would be!

Not quite, Tibor. Hoggy's heroes lose as the Ice Man (remember him? remember LovertheLegend?) and ''Homer'' Simpson guide the Muddle to a five wicket victory.

Much as I would have smiled Very Happy , it would have been taking the proverbial if we had pipped them to the Division Two title after the two hammerings they gave us ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:53 pm

congrats to surrey though well done Smile

be intresting to see how linley does with the ducks ball and not the tiflex ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:congrats to surrey though well done Smile

be intresting to see how linley does with the ducks ball and not the tiflex ball.

that seems pretty harsh on the poor duck! Cool

Run

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Chris - He is sometimes known as the Gaffer by Surrey posters....

The alphabet theme was picked up briefly some weeks ago in one of the Surrey limericks when Ansari first made his mark in the first team:

"Who shall we pick - Schoey or G Batty?
Mused Adams for Essex T twenty.
But Z A - the Countdown alphabet
Soon proved the better bet
And so a new star: An- sar - i"

I would vote for "Alphabet" as his nickname - good suggestion Very Happy - but we run a fairly democratic military establishment here so I will go with the Surrey majority!

A nickname for another player which I liked was used yesterday by Churchy. He referred to Pragyan Ojha as ''The Dodger'' - as in ''Ojha the Dodger!''.

Well, I liked it! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Very Happy Roger the Dodger

Churchy is another one who has done well this season - hadn't realised until I saw him in operation at Guildford that he sometimes has pretty dire working conditions. Tho' I suppose watching cricket all day is some compensation Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:47 pm

I spoke to Churchy at Guildford - smashing guy. I had just said how much I enjoyed his commentary when his mobile rang. I fully expected that to be the end of our conversation and went to move on but instead he answered his mobile and said to Mrs Church no less: ''Can I call you back? I'm with someone at the moment.'' He then introduced me to Johnny Barran and Kevin Hand (who covers the Middlesex games) and we chatted generally about Surrey cricket for a few more minutes. I'm not sure he ever called his wife back!

Adams and the players rightly seem appreciative of him in this week's Surrey tv interviews.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

so rory to skipper next season then lol, not jon lewis Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:43 pm

will be very intresting to see how surrey get on in div 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:58 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:so rory to skipper next season then lol, not jon lewis Wink

Rumour seemed to start from a few mumbled words in the middle of an interview.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Hyphen's job is pretty safe for some time - assuming cricketfan doesn't apply for it Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:42 am

not yet guildford Wink

im happy captaining my club side at the moment lol Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:wow just saw the interview with gareth batty what a top top man clap clap

Yes excellent comments from both the Viscount and Batty. Nora gave an honourable mention to everyone including the catering staff for helping to achieve promotion. cake

There's another excellent interview of Nora by Churchy on the Club website reflecting on the 2011 season. Nora again comes across very well and once more sings the praises of the catering staff cake clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:47 am

Guildford - yes I read it. Reflects well on him and the spirit at the club. Interesting that he didn't bang on about his own season.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:50 am

guys how do you think surrey will do in div1?

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:36 am

[quote="Corporalhumblebucket"]Guildford - yes I read it. Reflects well on him and the spirit at the club. Interesting that he didn't bang on about his own season. [/quote

Corporal - Nora's take on his own season seemed to be that he essentially did what was required when it was required. I think that's a pretty fair assessment. He played all sixteen CC matches scoring over 500 runs and taking 36 wickets. Not outstanding by any means but still a useful contribution and certainly better than some of us feared might be the case at season's start as you've rightly mentioned before.

He also had a good CB 40 campaign (being Surrey's most economic bowler in that competition) and bowled particularly well in the final.

Having watched Surrey more last season than in previous years, I would add that he brings something more to the party than can be shown by stats alone. In the field, he always buzzing with activity in supporting and encouraging his fellow fielders and bowlers. I'm no longer surprised that in 2010 he was voted Surrey's Team Man of the Year.

It will be interesting to see how much he'll be involved next season. Assuming we sign Kartik, Nora will clearly no longer be the first choice slow bowler. With so many decent seam options potentially available (as per the 'County Ins and Outs' thread), will he always be in the CC side? I'm not so sure he will ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 pm

how do you think Ansari will do next year guys?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Time for a separate thread guys to discuss the next season? Very Happy

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:52 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:how do you think Ansari will do next year guys?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:54 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:how do you think Ansari will do next year guys?
Talented bowler IMO
Should do well Smile

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 pm

i also think that surrey could do with another batsman. Ramps wont be around for much longer and he really struggled last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7