The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Lawes be cited for knee on Ledesma?

+57
Mad for Chelsea
EnglishReign
rugbyfan
Portnoy
G2
mcrjfNo7
Toadfish
whocares
The WarLord Mashaka
andy powells minder
TheGreyGhost
Breadvan
TBJ9625
Mr Bounce
BigTrevsbigmac
rumpelstiltskindoh
Boyne
eirebilly
The Great Aukster
yappysnap
englandglory4ever
Cowshot
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
damage_13
RubyGuby
Biltong
GunsGerms
jbeadlesbigrighthand
dummy_half
aucklandlaurie
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
mpc28
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
tazfalklands
robbo277
Taffineastbourne
Coleman
PJHolybloke
Gatts
Meflanker
bedfordwelsh
JmD
welshy824
HammerofThunor
Gibson
alcoombe
Dr Kenneth Noisewater
nathan
dubh_linn
John Cregan
Seagultaf
doctor_grey
doctornickolas
tomathy
Standulstermen
Cymroglan
brennomac
61 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Should Lawes be cited for knee on Ledesma? - Page 4 Empty Should Lawes be cited for knee on Ledesma?

Post by brennomac Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Lot of discussion on Setanta - predictably not a mention on the rose-fixated ITV - on whether Lawes should (will) be cited for his "tackle" on Ledesma, Replays show pretty clearly that Lawes lead with his knee to Ledesma's head when Ledesma was on the ground and already out of play. There was no need to tackle Ledesma never m ind lead with the knee. Given how much the Argies love the English won't be surprised if he's cited. A

And please, my English friends, before you jump up in indignation go watch the playback.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Should Lawes be cited for knee on Ledesma? - Page 4 Empty Re: Should Lawes be cited for knee on Ledesma?

Post by Gibson Mon 12 Sep 2011, 6:28 pm

Ah fair enuf so. Its just the Ledesma citing then OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Should Lawes be cited for knee on Ledesma? - Page 4 Empty Re: Should Lawes be cited for knee on Ledesma?

Post by PJHolybloke Mon 12 Sep 2011, 8:53 pm

I wonder if Argentina asked the citing officer to have a "butchers"?

Personally I didn't think it worthy of a citing, now it has been it will be a two-week ban I think.

So, here we are after all but two 1st round matches have been completed and the team that takes up the mantle of the dirtiest and most cynical is.....

England.

More citings and yellow cards than all the others put together.

Honestly, water off a duck's back.

Yahoo
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:He put in a crunching tackle on Felipe, but in fairness Felipe was already carrying a knock from earlier on in the game. Definitely the tackle that meant he had to come off, though there wasn't anything wrong with it at all.

It was the earlier "knock" I was referring to where Lawes caught Contepomi in a ruck with his knee.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Mon 12 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:He put in a crunching tackle on Felipe, but in fairness Felipe was already carrying a knock from earlier on in the game. Definitely the tackle that meant he had to come off, though there wasn't anything wrong with it at all.

It was the earlier "knock" I was referring to where Lawes caught Contepomi in a ruck with his knee.

I'm surprised Lawrence didn't see that one, he was suffering Reverse-Alzheimers-Myopia at the time.

He remembered seeing things that didn't happen.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:50 am

Sensible and correct decision - despite all the huffing and puffing of non -English fans so crack on lads Smile

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:10 am

Perhaps a little harsh but ho hum, they've made their decision, let's stick with it. Lawes is out for the 2 "easier" games so hopefully he won't be too missed.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:18 am

So as expected the 3-12 week guidline was reduced due to his excellent disciplinary record.
Not because hes a New Zealander and a thug s Leinsterbaby suggested.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:35 am

So I suppose the overriding answer to the original question is yes!!!!
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:37 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:So as expected the 3-12 week guidline was reduced due to his excellent disciplinary record.
Not because hes a New Zealander and a thug s Leinsterbaby suggested.

I never said he was a thug. If you are going to quote me please read my posts first. I did however say a two match ban was in order. Proper decision.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:45 am

OK you said he "had a history of dirty play", not much differnet really and most importnatly factualy incorrect. Its a bit ridciulous to get prissy with me for calling you up on it, it doesnt exactly do your own reputation for dirty posting any good...but then you are a New Zealander Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:29 am

Boyne wrote:Looks as if he could miss the rest of the tourney.

100% spot on. Hes a thug. At it 3 or 4 times in the game.

How's the moral high ground up there?
🤦
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:31 am

So Lawes gets a two game suspension. What an utter fiasco.

How can you reduce a ban to less than the "minimum"?

On top of that, how can you use "remorse" as a justification, when the guy pleaded not guilty?

Clearly the two games was based on the fact that the next two games are gimmes.

Rugby is rapidly becoming an utter farce. We have endless disasterous game changing refereeing decisions which the brass turn a blind eye to and keep staunchly defending the incompetence. Then the judiciary keeps coming up with laughable decisions based on clear lack of logic. Like this, like the Cooper incident recently.

The fact that Lawes was involved in multiple instances of foul play in the same game should have sealed his fate for a ban from the rest of the competition. It's utterly pathetic.

What is equally pathetic is the number of English pundits appearing with their "calm and reasonable" voices on their "innocent and objective" game faces discussing what a rational and justified decision it was.

Pathetic. Utterly pathetic.

We've had nothing but English fans on here for weeks talking about SA "thuggery" and the threat of pacific island "savages" injuring key players and how the officials must deal with it harshly. Now that's turned out that the thugs are English, suddenly they're retracting their positions.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

GG welcome back, where've you been?? we missed you Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:38 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:We've had nothing but English fans on here for weeks talking about SA "thuggery" and the threat of pacific island "savages" injuring key players and how the officials must deal with it harshly.
I think you'll find that was Welsh fans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:39 am

would love some proof of that SafeAs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

Yikes GG staright in there, no messing around! I thought CL lived dangerously a couple of times during that game but not throughout. Your last paragraph is pure BS tho....
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:44 am

rugbydreamer wrote:would love some proof of that SafeAs.
The Wales/SA build up threads were full of comments by Welsh posters calling SA 'thugs' and bringing up gouging. Surely you couldn't have missed that? Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

The only player posters had a problem with was Burger I believe.

The GG said this:

"and the threat of pacific island "savages" injuring key players"

Now you tell me where a Welsh poster has said that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:48 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:So Lawes gets a two game suspension. What an utter fiasco.

How can you reduce a ban to less than the "minimum"?

On top of that, how can you use "remorse" as a justification, when the guy pleaded not guilty?

Clearly the two games was based on the fact that the next two games are gimmes.

Rugby is rapidly becoming an utter farce. We have endless disasterous game changing refereeing decisions which the brass turn a blind eye to and keep staunchly defending the incompetence. Then the judiciary keeps coming up with laughable decisions based on clear lack of logic. Like this, like the Cooper incident recently.

The fact that Lawes was involved in multiple instances of foul play in the same game should have sealed his fate for a ban from the rest of the competition. It's utterly pathetic.

What is equally pathetic is the number of English pundits appearing with their "calm and reasonable" voices on their "innocent and objective" game faces discussing what a rational and justified decision it was.

Pathetic. Utterly pathetic.

We've had nothing but English fans on here for weeks talking about SA "thuggery" and the threat of pacific island "savages" injuring key players and how the officials must deal with it harshly. Now that's turned out that the thugs are English, suddenly they're retracting their positions.

Since you are so hot on the regualtions being followed tou might want to revise that.
The 3-12 weeks is a guidline, which can be reduced for contrition and previously disciplinary behaviour. It was deemed end offence. The procedure, which is based on the same principles legal sentences are determined, was followed.

England have only taken 2 yellows in all world cups combined ( the latest for repeat infringement, must admit I cant remeber the first). Compare that to Tonga who have ammassed 3 reds and 7 yellows in far less world cup games. Is it unreasonable to suggest that they make more of a habit of foul play than England?
Oh right no the referees are biassed and ignore their "thuggery".

Spin it how you like GG but youre a laughing stock on here, bias is one thing but the bile you push it out with makes New Zealand journalists look sane.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:48 am

Casper
I think he expressed remorse after being found guilty,

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:50 am

dreamer, maybe you should just remove greyghost's comment then or are you only defending Welsh posters? Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Casper

Its possible express remorse for reckless actions and show sympathy for the injured player whilst not accepting you are guilty of the offence of striking. Once found guilty you then say you accept the decision and youll do your best to modertae your baehaviour in the future.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:53 am

SafeAsMilk I would be extremely careful of accusing a moderator of bias,,, If you have any issues there are channels to complain.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by The WarLord Mashaka Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

rugbydreamer I can’t recall any Welsh or English posters going on about it as GG has implied with no proof, but logically why would English fans go on about Saffer and PI thugs if we are not likely to meet them till a final?

You’ll find we are in a different pool.

The WarLord Mashaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

He pleaded not guilty, so how can he express remorse???

Either the guy is a liar or he is an idiot.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:55 am

Cymroglan wrote:SafeAsMilk I would be extremely careful of accusing a moderator of bias,,, If you have any issues there are channels to complain.
Really? Just wondering why I needed to provide proof about Welsh posters and greyghost didn't for English ones. Seems a bit odd.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:56 am

of course I'm going to defend Welsh posters SafeAs, when you are claiming that they have been calling pacific islanders "savages".

If you disagree with GG's claims about the English, by all means defend them, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't try and say that the Welsh have been saying things like that.

I'd defend the English posters as well if I thought there was any truth in the slightest in the GG's claims. Fact is, we all know what he's aiming for with his post, and the best course of action I believe would be to ignore it.

(and I'm posting as myself here not a moderator just to make it clear. If I was replying as a moderator it would be in red. Shockingly, I am allowed my own personal opinion)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

If you think he is wrong then provide the evidence it's simple as that.
Why have a go at Welsh fans? the author of this article is not Welsh.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:00 am

it's sad but I partly agree with TGG... what is the point of having rules and if they are bended on time to time when big players or nations are involved and there is some potential marketing/media attention.

back to Lawes, not judging wether or not he deserved to be banned but as long as he's cited and found guilty, why not apply the rule?

"excellent disciplinary record" : well if he seems to always get away easily, am not surprised he still has a good disciplinary record , he might keep on breaking scrum-halves shoulders (Parra 2 years ago) and doing late tackles.
he's probably not a thug but still remains potentially dangerous to other players if keeps on not controlling himself and I have yet to find evidence of Lawes "moderating his behaviour".

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:01 am

I had no idea that mods wrote in 'red' when they were being 'official'. I thought it was just when you were angry Laugh

Fair enough. We'll just have to ignore greyghost then. He really does bring out the worst in people Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:03 am

Laugh no! red is mod mode, anything else then we're just posting as ourselves.

The only thing I think the GG has a point on is the farce of some of the disciplinary hearings recently. There's no consistency shown there at all, but then it's been a problem for a while. Tis something the IRB really need to address imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:03 am

It doesn't really matter who said SA players are thugs, there have been so many comments regarding that issue, that it has become "white noise"

And if I had the time and inclination I am sure I can go back and find at least one from every home union that went on about Burger and Bakkies.

But as I say "white noise"
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by The WarLord Mashaka Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:06 am

What I’m looking forward to is the role reversal when say an Irish, SA, Welsh or NZ player is in the Dock for something not as sinister as the ‘moral high-grounders’ are suggesting this is.

Will they adamantly defend their own team’s player or call for him to be hung, drawn and quartered?

CL has been found guilty and punished appropriately…what is this ‘The Spanish Inquisition’ cause if so where is Monty Python?

The WarLord Mashaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:06 am

Boyne wrote:

He pleaded not guilty, so how can he express remorse???

Either the guy is a liar or he is an idiot.

"I slid into him caught him with my knee, Im very sorry he got hurt but it was not intentional or in my opinion an act punishable under the striking code. Its a pity for teh guy hes injuyred and I dont like being involved in players getting hurt. Youll notice that I have never been cited for an offence of this nature previously and do not have cards on my record for any kind of striking because I abhor that kind of violence, unlike the pacific island savages we have in our centers who redefine wingers faces"compared to " I didnt touch him Guv, hes making a meal of it. He probably deserved it anyway if i had hit him, which I didnt. I hope he dies and his children commit suicide as a result. Shouldve let Tuilagi get a hold of him"

Something like that. But I guess he was too busy lying about being a New Zealander in an atmept to get away with it.

I think the idiots are people who dont understand the difference between feelings and of guilt and remorse and legal pleas of guilt to specifric charges.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:06 am

biltongbek wrote:It doesn't really matter who said SA players are thugs, there have been so many comments regarding that issue, that it has become "white noise"

And if I had the time and inclination I am sure I can go back and find at least one from every home union that went on about Burger and Bakkies.

They are though arent they kiss

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:08 am

Peter he is not going to say he intended it is he or say he could not care less.
I'm not having a go at anybody I'm just being a realist.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

Greyghost did you cry foul when Mealamu only got 2 weeks for intentionally head butting a prone Lewis Moody from behind? Surely if you think that was a fair punishment then a proportionate punishment for Lawes would be what, 20 lines on the blackboard and a rap on the knuckles?

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

biltongbek wrote:It doesn't really matter who said SA players are thugs, there have been so many comments regarding that issue, that it has become "white noise"

now that you mention those names, Lawes really goes by as a nice guy Very Happy

here's my small contribution to the "white noise" Wink
recently read an interview of Bakkies in a local french newspaper when he was around Toulon for a quick visit - he also went to see some low level local rugby game (which always finish in a brawl in france) after which he would have said something along the lines that he quite enjoyed the entertainment and that he would settle well in Toulon...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

So then you are saying that he "unintentionally" fell into someone, already spreadeagle on the ground, out of touch and without the ball. And for that he is expressing remorse!!!!

OK then.

thumbsdown

He meant it and everyone know it.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:16 am

Anyway, its not the 1st time hes been at it. Plus hes been found guilty.

He wont get away with it again.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Cymroglan wrote:Peter he is not going to say he intended it is he or say he could not care less.
I'm not having a go at anybody I'm just being a realist.

Not if hes pleading not guilty no.
But the question was how can you show remorse and plead not guilty its simple. And you can also do that without lying, hes not going to say he intended to strike the player if he didnt intend to strike him is he?
But then lets look at Tuilagi...theres no way he could say he didnt intend to strike Chris Ashton or plead not guilty, but he can still plead remorse and stupidity

Interestingly theres just been an assault case bought by a welsh policeman against another copper following a club game, blooming west britain savages Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by The WarLord Mashaka Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Funny thing is no one has picked up on the growing trend for players to slide at an opponent near the goal line to disrupt the scoring process…hoping to either push the opponent out or knock the ball from their grasp.

This is technically illegal as you are playing off your feet/diving in. And as is the case here and I am sure on a few more occasions not mentioned at this or any other level risky cause when sliding the players knee/elbow/shoulder could make contact with the opponents head.

So the next time a player slides in to stop a try and hits the opponent will they award a penalty try or just ignore it and cite the player after?

The WarLord Mashaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:19 am

Boyne wrote:Anyway, its not the 1st time hes been at it. Plus hes been found guilty.

He wont get away with it again.

Which other times has he been found guilty of it? Is the citing commission suppossed to go on teh internet and check the rantings of hate fuilled mobs or do they , as in all other cases, go with this disciplinary record?
Otherwise theyd be banning all the South Africans just because the Welsh call them thugs.

He hasnt got away with it this time, and yes if he does it again he'll face a longer ban. Same as for everyone.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mcrjfNo7 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:23 am

Something that is often overlooked is that courts will often use the term “remorse” with the, now defunct, meaning of “pity, compassion”. Which is likely the situation here.

I also find it very odd that an independent panel, convening in NZ, with an Australian at the helm, would show any bias towards an England player; this seems to be implied by some posters and is ridiculous.

mcrjfNo7

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:23 am

PSB
In my world to show remorse,one is admitting their wrongdoing.

Usually remorse in a judicial forium is expressed in a plea of mitigation,after guilt has been decided.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:28 am

I guess he was guilty of taking the Lawes into his own hands, and knees thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:29 am

Which other times has he been found guilty of it?

I never said he has been found guilty before this "incident". Not the 1st time he's been at it though.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:30 am

You'll have to ask the Australians what they mean by remorse. I doubt very much even an Ozzie would reduce his ban because he suddenly owned up and said sorry after being found guilty.

The most obvious conclusions I get from this (not read the report yet) is that they think he didn't deliberately go in to strike him but he was a bit reckless so they gave him a ban.

And I think the 3 weeks is the minimum entry ban not final ban.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

Boyne wrote:
Which other times has he been found guilty of it?

I never said he has been found guilty before this "incident". Not the 1st time he's been at it though.

Well you know what these New Zealanders are like eh

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:35 am

For the record (courtesy of the BBC)

A statement from Rugby World Cup Limited read: "Having conducted a detailed review of all the evidence available, including all broadcast angles and additional evidence from the player and submissions from his counsel, the judicial officer upheld the citing on the basis that the player had committed an act of foul play.

However, taking into account mitigating factors being his excellent disciplinary record and remorse and the absence of aggravating factors, the player was suspended for two weeks."

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next