The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidana says no to rematch with Morales for WBC belt

4 posters

Go down

Maidana says no to rematch with Morales for WBC belt Empty Maidana says no to rematch with Morales for WBC belt

Post by Commander Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:22 pm

Maidana (30-2, 27 KO’s) was given the offer by Golden Boy Promotions to step in and face Erik Morales (51-7, 35 KO’s) for the vacant WBC light welterweight title on Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz card next week on September 17th in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Maidana, however, reportedly refused the offer to fight on the prestigious fight card, and will instead be fighting Petr Petrov, a fighter that few boxing fans have ever heard of at the Sosciedad Aleman, Villa Ballester, Buenos Aires, Argentina. In fairness to Maidana, perhaps he had already signed for the Petrov fight and was bound by the fight contract, although he should have put in an escape route in case something better came up like the Morales rematch.

Some boxing fans have reacted negatively towards Maidana’s refusal to fight Morales again, seeing him as afraid of Morales and not wanting to experience the pain and the grueling nature of a fight with “El Terrible.”

Source: BoxingNews24

Do you think he should have taken the match given the WBC title is on the line and does this indicate his possible double-standards given his recent hounding of Amir Khan?

Commander

Back to top Go down

Maidana says no to rematch with Morales for WBC belt Empty Re: Maidana says no to rematch with Morales for WBC belt

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

he should have take the fight just for the titlee, he would likely have gotten a rematch with khan, but can see why he didn't, morales has been labbled as "past it" and its high risk for minimal credit.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Maidana says no to rematch with Morales for WBC belt Empty Re: Maidana says no to rematch with Morales for WBC belt

Post by bellchees Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

I don't blame Maidana for turning it down. I think if Morales made it even remotely close he would get a decision as it's for the WBC belt and Khan vs Morales is what the promoters are clearly wanting to happen next.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

very true, shame matteysse pulled out as i was looking forwards to seeing him fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

I hoped Maidana would take the fight because when they fought it was an excellent fight but I never thought he would. High risk no reward and his chances of getting a decision would be slim.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down