The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

technology maybe the future of amatuer boxing

2 posters

Go down

technology maybe the future of amatuer boxing Empty technology maybe the future of amatuer boxing

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:01 pm

i read a article in new scientist that amatuer boxing could look to new technology to score fights, due to the critisism that the 5 judges scoring punches receives. they use floyd mayweather as an example of suspect scoring that goes on at the moment. the new technology basically consists of senors in the scoring part of the gloves, and sensors in the vest/head guard that form a electric circuit when connected, and therefore registers a punch. this could also be used in professional boxing, to give a more accurate compubox reading, which at the moment i beleive is done via humans. apparently in tests this system scored over 90% accuracy, which is probably well above the normal system used at the moment.

do you think this is a good idea, and better than the proposed switch to the 3 judge scoring system used in professional bouts?

personal i like the idea, as i think professional and amatuer boxing should vary otherwise why bother with amatuer boxing at all. amatuer boxing should be a little different, and less focused on winning a decision or getting a KO, and more on developing boxing skill. thats what it is there for after all.

link below should work, but some articles on new scientist require a subscription to access so apolgise if it doesnt work

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128276.200-smart-boxing-vest-will-pull-no-punches.html

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

technology maybe the future of amatuer boxing Empty Re: technology maybe the future of amatuer boxing

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Read about this last week, and I would welcome it with open arms if it is viable. Any sport that requires human judging is going to be subject to human error.

I would prefer keeping the scoring system the way it is, as it rewards cleaner work rather than aggression which professional boxing can favour at times. The obvious problems with the scoring system are that 3 of the 5 judges have to push the button within a second of each other for a point to score. Depending on the position of the judges, scoring blows can be missed and unfortunately bias, whether consciously or subconsciously, can also cloud judgements. The other problem with the scoring system is that it seems to favour pot shotting tactics rather than combination punching. This new technology would help eliminate these flaws.

The obvious problem would be the cost. Every nation would need to purchase the equipment, which I'm guessing would be expensive. With the AIBA wanting to move closer in line with the pro's I very much doubt it will be implemented. It's a shame as this technology could clear up many of the issues that have dogged the amateur game in recent years.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down