The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs Northamptonshire county Championship division 2

+8
jimbohammers
thegooch7
jbd349
Corporalhumblebucket
SimonofSurrey
guildfordbat
Fists of Fury
jimbobgooner
12 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

surrey vs Northamptonshire county Championship division 2 Empty surrey vs Northamptonshire county Championship division 2

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Chris Adams has named a thirteen man Surrey squad to take on Northamptonshire at Wantage Road in the LV= County Championship.
George Edwards replaces Matthew Dunn who is suffering with shin soreness in the only change to the squad that defeated Leicestershire last week at Grace Road.
The full Surrey squad to play Northamptonshire is:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Gareth Batty
Chris Jordan
Zafar Ansari
Tim Linley
Stuart Meaker
Pragyan Ojha
George Edwards
river should not even be in the squad in my opion
as for the last spot zaffer for me edges out (edwards) whom i'm sure guildford can tell us all about Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Northamptonshire county Championship division 2 Empty Re: surrey vs Northamptonshire county Championship division 2

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

Just going to move this to the county section, jimbo, you ok with that?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Northamptonshire county Championship division 2 Empty Re: surrey vs Northamptonshire county Championship division 2

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Just going to move this to the county section, jimbo, you ok with that?
no probs at all fists

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

Nice to be made welcome, JimBob. Wink

''Boy'' George Edwards is a Lambeth lad who has come up through the Academy and seconds. Right arm fast medium bowler. Not really a batsman - normally comes in around number ten. He's done ok this season without producing anything earth shattering. Nonetheless, he was recently awarded a full professional contract for next season. With that in mind, I strongly suspect he's been brought into the squad for the experience rather than to play the match.

Adams has suggested on Surrey tv that the starting XI might be the same as last time out against Leics. Assuming I'm right about Edwards, that probably leaves one of the Gaffer, River and Meaker to miss out. My guess would be Ansari given Adams' comments and that we already have two frontline(ish) spinners in Ojha and Batty (his experience should nudge him ahead of Gaffer).

Almost forgot - Edwards looked pretty good at football when I saw him kicking a ball about with king on the outfield at, er, Guildford last month during a lengthy break in play. Bonus point for that, JimBob? Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:00 pm

[quote="guildfordbat"]Nice to be made welcome, JimBob. Wink

🤦

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:26 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Almost forgot - Edwards looked pretty good at football when I saw him kicking a ball about with king on the outfield at, er, Guildford last month during a lengthy break in play. Bonus point for that, JimBob? Very Happy
looks like another signing for wenger Wink bonus point in the bag for that guildford Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

shocking that adams is even considering picking river Headscratch in the last 2 games he has played 38 overs 1 wkt and plenty of no balls. i would not be surprised if surrey released him at the end of the season. look to the future i say Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:01 pm

JimBob - yep, River certainly wouldn't be in my team but I think he might well be in Adams'.

Just to flag - if River and Gaffer miss out, we have a heck of a long tail. Meaker (averaging around 6) at 8, Viscount (similar average) at 9, Boy George (no batsman) at 10 and Ojha (regular number 11) as Jack. That might increase Gaffer's chances of getting a game but do we really want three spinners?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

is river chris jordan?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:07 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:is river chris jordan?
sure is cricket Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:22 pm

ah right, surely there is someonme better than him who can play.

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

Edwards and Jordan to miss out please. Both need time - for different reasons - in the 2nd XI. ZdeB can offer up a bit of trundle in support of the opening bowlers, while 3 spinners should do it as we enter September at the end of this long, hot summer Whistle

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

Personally I think Spriegel would have merited a go after several recent excellent efforts in the CB40.

Following Guildford's line of argument I think one of Ansari or Jordan will play otherwise we have very long tail. So one of these two plus Edwards will miss out.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

Erm, Corp - given his efforts with the bat so far this season - 61 @ 12.2, h/s 22 - how would the inclusion of River in any way shorten the tail?

I agree, however, that Spriegel would have been a better bet at the expense of one of Batty, Ansari or Ojha (ie Ansari, I fear).

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Erm, Corp - given his efforts with the bat so far this season - 61 @ 12.2, h/s 22 - how would the inclusion of River in any way shorten the tail?

Fair point Simon - and I was minded to mention that his average in CB40 this season is zero! But he has regularly batted up the order for the 2nd XI this season and scored a reasonable amount of runs. So at least there is a realistic possibility that he would get 20 or 30 (as indeed might Ansari)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:50 pm

Ok Corp, but i still think Jordan needs more time in the 2nds to get back closer to where he was before his horrible injuries. If he is scoring runs for fun and taking bags of wickets by, say, late May next season, then let's try him back in the 1sts.

At the moment, I really feel he's being picked on a mixture of - very much past - reputation, which doesn't help him personally, the person whose place he takes or the county. A longer stint in the 2nds would be recuperative, not a punishment.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:53 pm

Sorry - 2nd para of last post was gibberish. Please read instead:

"Ok Corp, but I still think Jordan needs more time in the 2nds to get back even close to where he was before his horrible injuries. If he is scoring runs for fun and taking bags of wickets by, say, late May next season, then let's try him back in the 1sts.

For the moment, I feel he's being picked on - very much past - reputation alone. This doesn't help him personally, the person whose place he takes, or the County. A longer stint in the 2nds would be recuperative, not a punishment."

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:59 pm

Very much agree, Simon.

Part of the difficulty here is that we're trying to second guess who Adams will choose (and perhaps why) even if we don't agree with him ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm

I haven't see Jordan play since his comeback - clearly his stats are not good. I read that he was a bit unlucky against Leics not to take a few wicket but I have no problems with the suggestion that if Adams his convinced he still has the potential then some more time in the 2nds plus effective communication may do the trick....

If Ansari plays I doubt that he will bowl much assuming we play two other front line spinners...

Middlesex piling up the runs today against Leics, which more or less confirms the battle is for third place.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm

But our best bet of gaining very unlikely promotion is still open. We need a maximum points win or thereabouts against Northants, then 2 more wins, while Northants then must get no more than a high scoring draw in their last game.

Very unlikely but we're not out of it yet. If - ok, it's a huge if - we do the first bit and wallop Northants, then doubts might creep in to their minds and anything might happen. May I remind people that when the 40 over comp took its mid-season break, Northants and we were both p5 w5. We went on to finish 10 and 1 with a no result, they finished 6 and 6.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:47 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

Middlesex piling up the runs today against Leics, which more or less confirms the battle is for third place.....

An incredibly tall order but IF (massive ''if'') we win our last three games (including the one against Northants) and Northants fail to beat Gloucs in their last game then we should just about get to the promised land of Division One.

Enter ChrisfromStroud ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

Sounds relatively straightforward then - we crush Northants, win a couple of other matches, and then rely on Chris from Stroud to put in a special request for selection of Jon Batty for the last Gloucs game who then gives one of his marathon performances batting for 6 hours for 80 before the rains come down to save Gloucs .... Very Happy Very Happy

I can't see it happening - but if it does I shall enjoy it enormously. Ale in advance to Chris!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:01 pm

Corporal - I meant to add ''Stranger things probably haven't happened'' but it remains possible for at least few more hours. Our being all out for 120 just after lunch tomorrow would not help ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:40 pm

I fear that Adams will pick Jordan again, although I am sure that if Dunn was fit he would get the place.

Edwards does always seem to be in the wickets for the seconds, so I think he has deserved his contract, although I'd pick Ansari due the extra batting and because either of them wouldn't get much bowling due to probably being the sixth bowler behind ZDB.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

surely ansari has to play

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:40 am

Surrey win toss and will bat
Surrey start the game with only 10 men Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:45 am

is jordan playing?

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

As expected/feared River plays.

Boy George has to wait for a gig. Gaffer also misses out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:58 am

Ex Surrey second eleven paceman Dave Burton plays his first CC game of the season for Northants.

I saw him play at, er, Guildford last year when he blew Essex seconds away with about eleven match wickets. I thought he would really go on from there but he soon ended up being released .... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by guildfordbat on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:59 am

I suppose we're going with the adage 'don't change a winning team'. But the win was against Leicester, and Middlesex are currently 370-1 against them! Surely last chance saloon for River though!

Anyway, a big 1st inns score and let our spinners rip through them in the fourth inns................well, I can dream can't I??!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:08 am

'The tailor' or 'Richard' suffering from 'River-itis' as his 2nd ball is a no ball!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:30 am

why is river playing?

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

cricketfan90 wrote:why is river playing?

After being out all last season with injury, the management are giving him every chance to prove himself.
Unfortunately, as we're pushing for promotion, we can't afford to 'carry' anyone, and if he does nowt in this game I don't think we can keep him in the 1st eleven (especially as we have players, in my opinion, higher in the pecking order to replace him - plus of course, Dernbach is missing)

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

Hyphen gone for a 'subdued' 13, still 44 short of making 1,000 for the season

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

86 - 1 at lunch. Davies 45 and Ramps 22.

''A good, hard fought morning's cricket'' - Churchy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

where's tremlett??

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

Somerset 86-7, hants still fighting king

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

50 for Davies clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

is ojha playing?

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

Gramps gone for a Burton! Doh 104-2

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

i spoke too soon furious

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

we've entered the "Zander Zone"

1 run off 18 balls for the Brain.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:39 pm

1 off 18............slow down Zander, it's not the T20! Wink

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

which overseas is playing in this game?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

its Ojha cricketfan.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

'Interesting' Davies goes for 81
Need Wine Gums and the Brain to put on a few now

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

Just popped in to see how we are doing... Solid start need to get a good score on the board. A win in this match may just keep any slim four day hoppes alive.

I'm off on holiday for two weeks tonight so will have to contend with checking the scores from next to the pool. I may even take this time to think of a name change Wink

A bit early but was starting to think of my player of the season the other day and surely the viscount has a great chance.

Anyway I want to see at least 350 in this first innings and also a first innings lead.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

heard a rumour that ray price may be surrey's overseas player next season

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

Wine Gums gone - 168-4
That solid start is disintegrating

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:41 pm

1 more wkt for Northants and that's a big tail Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next