The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you could Take 2 Players from Other Countries...

+12
Geordie
krusty
Full Credit
wales606
disneychilly
nottins_jones
Jaysus
tomathy
Gatts
Bullsbok
welshy824
Mr Bounce
16 posters

Go down

If you could Take 2 Players from Other Countries... Empty If you could Take 2 Players from Other Countries...

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Everyone's national team has a weak link. There's often brilliant players in a different country's team you'd want so here's the rules:

You may take 2 players from any country other than your own. You may then replace 2 of your own country's likely 1st XV with the players you have selected. You may not use other players from your own country e.g replacing Toby Faletau with Gareth Delve (if you're Welsh) because you think he's better. Maybe Bakkies and Victor will make your scrum better. Perhaps you think that Dan Carter and Morgan Parra will help your squad.

Who do you want?

Here's mine: I'm English, and I think the 2 problem positions we have are as follows:

Inside centre. It's been a nightmare position for England since Will Greenwood retired. We've tried Flutey, Hape, Flood, Noon, Barkley, Tindall, Abbott, and Farrell amongst others, none of whom have worked particularly well. We need someone who's tough, has vision, can defend and will run all day will good offload skills. Therefore I request that we import Ma'a Nonu into our starting lineup.

No.8. I like Nick Easter, I really do. He has good hands and a good rugby brain. But he's missing "something". He is not dynamic in any way and I think a great 8 will transform our game. In that case my call goes to Italy's Sergio Parisse. The man is by far their best player, a complete talisman and an utter beast of player.

My starting line-up is as follows:

Foden, Ashton, Tuilagi, Nonu, Cueto, Wilkinson, Youngs, Sheridan, Hartley, Cole, Palmer, Lawes, Croft, Moody, Parisse. I think this may work rather well.

Thoughts? Cool

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

If you could Take 2 Players from Other Countries... Empty Re: If you could Take 2 Players from Other Countries...

Post by welshy824 Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:55 pm

personally i would bring in matfield to the welsh squad to sure up the lineout- then wales need either a quality centre or fullback- so would bring in either smith, nonu or Beale aswell

welshy824

Back to top Go down

If you could Take 2 Players from Other Countries... Empty Re: If you could Take 2 Players from Other Countries...

Post by Bullsbok Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Carter and Beale
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Carter and Nonu

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:06 pm

For England I would bring in McCaw. I'd also agree on bringing an inside centre in, but I'd play Tuilagi at 13 so I'm not sure Nonu would be the best partner to bring in. That said his distribution is actually very good so maybe him.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysus Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:27 pm

tomathy wrote:For England I would bring in McCaw. I'd also agree on bringing an inside centre in, but I'd play Tuilagi at 13 so I'm not sure Nonu would be the best partner to bring in. That said his distribution is actually very good so maybe him.
I agree. I feel we need a proper fetcher. If it was for this world cup I’d take McCaw, but for the future I’d go the younger Pocock or maybe even Warburton (I can foresee him being a real pain in the ass for years to come).

Jaysus

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Jaysus wrote:
tomathy wrote:For England I would bring in McCaw. I'd also agree on bringing an inside centre in, but I'd play Tuilagi at 13 so I'm not sure Nonu would be the best partner to bring in. That said his distribution is actually very good so maybe him.
I agree. I feel we need a proper fetcher. If it was for this world cup I’d take McCaw, but for the future I’d go the younger Pocock or maybe even Warburton (I can foresee him being a real pain in the ass for years to come).

it is unfortunately starting to look that way. same goes for heaslip.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Carter, that way we'd know who is our best fly-half.

And we could do with a good number 8, I'd take either of Parrise, Heaslip or Harinordoquy.

Anybody else think the best number 8's definitely come from the Northern Hemisphere?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:36 pm

I don't know about definitely Nottins. There are some good 8s on both sides-as well as those three you've got Read, Alberts, can't remember if Higginbotham is an 8, Spies (even though he is overrated), Kankowski etc. Either way they make for some great matchups next month.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 pm

I don't think Read is as good as any of the three I named. SA only have one out and out 8 and you're right he is a tad overrated.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:44 pm

I would be tempted to go for SOB and Heaslip just so we could put out a backrow of SOB, Warburton, Heaslip.

But, really we have depth in the Backrow, so I would go for,

Victor Matfield - We need depth in the second row and Matfield would fix the lineout and add power in the scrum.

Dan Carter - I would really like to see,

10. Carter
12. Hook
13. Roberts

With Hook and Carter interchanging.

However, if Hook played 10, I would bring in Conrad Smith to play outside Roberts.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:19 am

I think Read was the best 8 in the world last year and a principal reason the ABs only lost one test.

The two players I would bring into the ABs are Fourie du Preez and Bismarck du Plessis. While I think Mealamu is right up there in terms of being world class, Bismarck is the best, and I don't actually regard any of our 9s as world class anyway.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:00 am

disneychilly wrote: can't remember if Higginbotham is an 8
He's better at 6.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by krusty Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 am

1. Abubongo bongobongo (Congo)
2. Clickclick Boogaclickclick (Botswana)

Both excellent players.

krusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Ironically i think we (England ) do have a crackin 12....alas Johno hasnt picked him - Anthony Allen.

Put him in there with Tuilagi, and that'll be a nice partnership if you ask me.

For me the problem is the break down.
So ill take Pocock at 7, and the mobile powerhouse that is Bismark du Plessis...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:45 pm

carter and matfield for wales, but how one of the posters could consider hook interchanging with carter is beyond me, hook is a versatile player with a smattering of skills in a number of positions, not a strong contender in any if there's a better player on offer. hook would be my insurance player.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:20 pm

gavstar wrote:carter and matfield for wales, but how one of the posters could consider hook interchanging with carter is beyond me, hook is a versatile player with a smattering of skills in a number of positions, not a strong contender in any if there's a better player on offer. hook would be my insurance player.

I was talking about Hook and Carter interchanging during a game with Hook at 12, so they can mix up the game. If Carter was welsh he would definetly be the starting 10
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I suppose if I had to select between Carter and Steyn, I could possibly squeeze Carter in. Yahoo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:55 pm

wales606 wrote:
gavstar wrote:carter and matfield for wales, but how one of the posters could consider hook interchanging with carter is beyond me, hook is a versatile player with a smattering of skills in a number of positions, not a strong contender in any if there's a better player on offer. hook would be my insurance player.

I was talking about Hook and Carter interchanging during a game with Hook at 12, so they can mix up the game. If Carter was welsh he would definetly be the starting 10

If Carter was Welsh i would have a man crush

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Wales are pretty decent all over the field, but I'd like a decent replacement hooker, and possibly an extra lock.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:50 pm

wales606 wrote:I would be tempted to go for SOB and Heaslip just so we could put out a backrow of SOB, Warburton, Heaslip.

SOB is overrated a good player but honestly would prefer lydiate- he is a hell of a six- does the dirty work and him and warbs work so well together

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Conrad Smith and Harrinordiquy,please.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down