The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing for two countries?

4 posters

Go down

Playing for two countries? Empty Playing for two countries?

Post by LuvSports! Sun 06 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

For a while now I have wondered how and why some players can play for two countries in their careers and for some players inbetween each other!
For example jarryd hayne played for the aussies pre 2008 and then played for figi at the 2008 world cup. The same is to be said for Uate who played under 18's for aus but then followed suit in playing for figi at the past world cup. Another player, who played for Tonga at the last WC but then played for Aus in the 09 4 nations, Michael Jennings also played for two countries. I believe Nigel Vagana and francis meli both played for NZ and then samoa Headscratch
My question is how is this allowed to happen? I have never heard of it happening in union. A player may be born in a country, not be picked for that country and then play for another as some scottish, french, irish and english players have done.
Does this only happen in NZ and Aus? Is it a case of the bigger nations pinching those players that stand out for the tier 2 nations? Should this be allowed to happen?
I'm certainly not an expert of rugby league so i might be missing something obvious here but if you know please enlighten me! Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Playing for two countries? Empty Re: Playing for two countries?

Post by Kenny Sun 06 Nov 2011, 4:51 pm

I know this doesn't really help but this is the ruling on the RLIF website .

A player is eligible to play an International Match for:

(a) the country in which he was born;

(b) the country in which either of his parents or any of his grandparents was born;

(c) the country which has been his principal place of residence for a period of three years up to the date of his selection;

(d) the country for which he has gained Senior International honours in any sport.

A player who is eligible to play for more than one country shall be entitled to elect for which country he wishes to play.

When a player plays a Senior International Match for a country, he is deemed to have elected to play for that country. Once an election is made the player may not play Senior representative rugby league for any other country until the end of the next World Cup tournament, or the expiry of two years, whichever is earlier (‘Election Period’).

this is a good read aswell.

www.theroar.com.au/2011/10/28/international-rugby-league-eligibility/

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 06 Nov 2011, 5:02 pm

cheers man what do you think of it btw?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 Nov 2011, 5:23 pm

I dont think you should be allowed to play for 2 countries , its mostly down under but there have been a few here like Danny Brough played for Scotland but now wants to play for England .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

I dont have a problem when a player from a major country then goes on to play for a minor nation ie Nigel Vagana, as it helps develop the code in the weaker country,and it gives them the opportunity to give something back to their ancestoral Island/Land.
I have no problem with someone like Brad thorn either who has been a Kangaroo and an All Black.
What I do have a problem with is a player who plays for two of the major countries, this benefits nobody, eg tony Carroll being both a Kangaroo and a Kiwi.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 1:43 am

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:I dont think you should be allowed to play for 2 countries , its mostly down under but there have been a few here like Danny Brough played for Scotland but now wants to play for England .
Richard Lewes proposed at a RLIF meeting last year i think that once a player had played for a country at senior level he shouldn't be allowed to play for another country. Australia vetoed the proposal, i'm not sure if New Zealand did.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down