The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Hooks 'strip' tackle

+22
Draigoch
jb1973
kingjohn7
flankertye
robbo277
mckay1402
geoff998rugby
welshy824
Biltong
ScarletSpiderman
Seagultaf
red_stag
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
OzT
HammerofThunor
thebandwagonsociety
Thomond
BATH_BTGOG
Bowie
munkian
Cymroglan
polotechnics
26 posters

Go down

James Hooks 'strip' tackle Empty James Hooks 'strip' tackle

Post by polotechnics Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:20 am

It’s very effective, but does it really originate from rugby league.

I thought you weren’t allowed to interfere with the ball during the tackle.

Also have you seen any other union players doing it?

polotechnics

Back to top Go down

James Hooks 'strip' tackle Empty Re: James Hooks 'strip' tackle

Post by Cymroglan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:24 am

I don't think it is legal in union but he does it so quick that it does not seem deliberate.
Hook has a lot of upper body strength he has a very effective hand off.

Report on one of the rugby sites.
Most interesting to watch was a new tactic employed by the mostly talented James Hook; he repeatedly went into a tackle then ripped his arm away quick enough round the ball for the referee not to notice what he had just done by forcing it to spill forward, and the ball carrier penalised each time could do nothing. Allegedly this is a method employed in rugby league and is extremely effective if the referee is oblivious.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:40 am

Nothing compared to Ireland's two man drag down by neck choke hold tackle
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowie Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:44 am

Hook's the man.

Bowie

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

Poor old Banahan was stripped by Hook whilst he had Shane hanging round his neck at the MS the other day result apparently Banahan knocked on just as he was about to reach out and touch the ball down, hmmm...
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

BATH_BTGOG wrote:Poor old Banahan was stripped by Hook whilst he had Shane hanging round his neck at the MS the other day result apparently Banahan knocked on just as he was about to reach out and touch the ball down, hmmm...

It's very touching you are sticking up for the love of your life but really ? Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

Rua Tipoki was brilliant at it,won a lot of turnovers for Munster with it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

The strip tackle in league I think is allowed so long as there is only 1 tackler. Once the second tackler joins in, there can be no deliberate interference or attempt to dispossess the attacking player of the ball. A proper league guru can clarify if such a person could be seen dead making non-'my type of rugby is better than yours' comments on a union thread.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

Not a league expert but my understanding is the same as yours (i.e. only one tackler).

Why is it illegal in union? What law does it break?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

That's nearly true thebandwagon, though I am not a league guru. Yuo are allowed 2 players max to strip the ball, rule introduced in 2001, which countered the rule in 1991 from the NSWRL board which penalized defenders for stripping the ball.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

munkian wrote:
BATH_BTGOG wrote:Poor old Banahan was stripped by Hook whilst he had Shane hanging round his neck at the MS the other day result apparently Banahan knocked on just as he was about to reach out and touch the ball down, hmmm...

It's very touching you are sticking up for the love of your life but really ? Rolling Eyes

Well dont worry the precedent has been set, just wait for the TMO to take it upon himslef to adjudicate on that one and we can have Hook yellowed and a penalty try to England.

Moral victors.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:35 pm

Don't see anything illegal about it.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

If you go in with your shoulder, with your hands only on the ball it would be a charge IMO but that's it. Also if you strip the ball after the tackle has been completed.

But that's it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

He has been doing it for some time, probably something to do with his shoulder injury which limited his tackling effectiveness.

No doubt though that he is getting better at it, I seem to remember a Wales game in the last few seasons, when he attempted this strip tackle on an opponent near the try line. He looked pretty foolish when the strip diddn't work and the opposing player was free to flop over the line scoring the try!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

To be honest it is good if he wins the ball. That said against Argentina I saw Hook fail to pull it off a few times and the opposition then gain a fair bit of ground as he has not put the man to ground.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:To be honest it is good if he wins the ball. That said against Argentina I saw Hook fail to pull it off a few times and the opposition then gain a fair bit of ground as he has not put the man to ground.

A similar thing usually happens when Sexton tries to hold up the opponent in the tackle. Usually he gives up 10-12 yards of territory before it goes to ground. If two flankers are tackling, or if Trimble is involved it more than likely works.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

South africa dabbled with that in a few games last year, until it became clear it is a risky way to effect a tackle, if you slip off the ball, it can cost tries.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

i thought its legal- i mean it is basically trying to rip the ball

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

If the ball goes forward would that then be a delibarate knock-on ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

It would and I expect Hook to be pinged for it now that refs are aware of the technique.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:35 pm

geoff - you would expect it, but I bet it doesn't happen. It will probably end up as one of those things that he can get away with and anyone else who does it will get pinged.

Also thinking about it Scott Williams was doing a fair bit of stripping the ball in the tackle like that (but keeping the ball instead of losing it like Hook) at the back end of the Magners League last season. Once in a while ti may be ok, but I honestly think it is too risky to try all the time.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

I can't see how it's a deliberate knock on as he strips the ball back towards his own line, therfore going backwards from Hooks hand and forward from the attackers point of view
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:53 pm

In league if you've had more than 1 tackler involved in the tackle at any time you can't strip the ball, even if only one tackler is in contact with the ball carrier at the time.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed 24 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

Quade Cooper uses it as well, He's pretty good at it.
Didn't think it was illegal though? I've used it a lot when playing and never been pinged for it?

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

flankertye wrote:Quade Cooper uses it as well, He's pretty good at it.
Didn't think it was illegal though? I've used it a lot when playing and never been pinged for it?

was about to say same thing, noticed him doing it last tri-nations. definitely dont think its illegal.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:54 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:To be honest it is good if he wins the ball. That said against Argentina I saw Hook fail to pull it off a few times and the opposition then gain a fair bit of ground as he has not put the man to ground.
Agree with this. If it works, great. If it doesn't you end up making a bit of a fool of yourself. He's not the first to do it and, to be honest, if I was the coach I wouldn't want my players trying it too often.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:57 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Agree with this. If it works, great. If it doesn't you end up making a bit of a fool of yourself. He's not the first to do it and, to be honest, if I was the coach I wouldn't want my players trying it too often.

So are you saying that Hook had several missed tackles? have you seen the match stats.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:02 pm

Cymroglan wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

So are you saying that Hook had several missed tackles? have you seen the match stats.
I assume this is aimed at ScarletsSpiderman as I said no such thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

Both of you as you agreed with him.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:16 pm

Nope. I agreed (with SS) that it could be viewed as a fairly high-risk tactic, not that Hook had missed tackles during that game. It may have come off this time, but may not in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

There is no tactic that is foolproof, the only problem I have with ripping the ball rugby league style is that I would class it as borderline shoulder charge.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

nothing illegal in it and he rips the ball back towards him so it cannot be a knock on,

I'd rather he tackled correctly though eg low and take the legs not this high risk strategy

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:59 pm

I think it's a great little tactic really, but a lot depends on field position. If the opposition is running from their 22 then by all means, it could result in a turnover and a try for us. Not so sure when defending in our half though!

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_switch_pop Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:08 pm

Draigoch wrote:I think it's a great little tactic really, but a lot depends on field position. If the opposition is running from their 22 then by all means, it could result in a turnover and a try for us. Not so sure when defending in our half though!

Agreed, in going for the ball he's in the process not bringing the man down, with the opposition making yardage. Obviously every time it works..who cares!

dummy_switch_pop

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpernumber4 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm

In league, tackles are coached with the idea of holding the man up with the aim of slowing the play down, allowing your defence to get lined up and ready. Both hooks 'strip' and the Irish 2 man mini maul strategy come from this.

To a league coach the perfect tackle involves at least 3 defenders. The first man comes in and locks down the ball to prevent the offload (might need to explain that concept to any English international centres who read this!), and attacks 'the carry' ie the arms of the player, to cause them to focus on protecting the ball and potentially exposing the ribs. More often super league players won't attempt an actual rip, as refs are so clued up on it, but in union , where it is legal to steal the ball in the contact area, Hook is doing nothing wrong as long as it goes backwards.
The second man then hits the attackers torso, potentially in the exposed ribs, with some serious force, because hey, it's a contact sport. The third man will then wrap the legs to force them to the ground, but holding them up before this buys time.

I think both Hooks strip and the Irish method are better than just taking them low , both increase the chance of a turnover whilst reducing the possibility for quick ball and offloads

jumpernumber4

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:12 pm

Cheers for that jumper, very interesting.

I have to say through I hate the 'Irish tackle' (not just because it seems to be so effective against Wales) because it's a bit too high for me and holding round the neck like that will cause damage sooner than later..

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm

Quade Cooper does it,Hook has done it for a while now but more so recently.
Its not illegal .
I personally prefer it when players line up the man in possession and really go low with the shoulder leading into the abdomen winding the player whilst the ball flies out of his hands because of the hit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:26 am

To be honest it's a pity Jonathan Davies highlighted it because I doubt anyone else would of noticed, now people will be aware of it and it wont work anymore Sad.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:35 am

Cymroglan wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

I have not seen the stats, however I did see him go to make a tackle, and then fling his hand up in the air and do a little semi spin leaving the man he tried to strip remain in posession of the ball and have to be tackled by another man. Whether the stats folks classed it as a missed tackle or not it was an attempt at doing the clever stripping of teh ball that failed. And as I said i believe he did end up doing that a few times.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

AlynDavies wrote:To be honest it's a pity Jonathan Davies highlighted it because I doubt anyone else would of noticed, now people will be aware of it and it wont work anymore Sad.

Agreed!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down