The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sandbag Swagger Pffft

+7
psycho-gooner
Brady12
bretmeharty
JoshSansom
Kay Fabe
Crimey
ADMIN
11 posters

Go down

Sandbag Swagger Pffft Empty Sandbag Swagger Pffft

Post by ADMIN Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

taken from http://wallsofjerichoholic.blogspot.com/2011/08/sandbag-swagger-pfft-nbd.html

What happens when someone taking the move just dead-weights a guy and doesn't cooperate? Or if they don't know how to take the move, or if there's a miscommunication or a mistake on taking it? Well, then you get an incident on RAW where Alex Riley sandbagged Jack Swagger during the execution of the SWAGGAH BOMB~! Swagger had trouble wrestling Riley up to the peak to bring the move to completion. It looked awkward as Flip for the first part of the move, but then a funny thing happened. Through last minute coordination from Riley or from sheer BEAST MODE-style strength from Swagger, the All-American American American American American American American American American American American got Riley up and delivered the signature gutwrench powerbomb to its full motion. In short, it made Swagger look like a complete badass.

I've made no bones about the introduction of "struggle" into move execution in the past. I love the scraps that Daniel Bryan would have with various opponents in trying to wrangle each other into their various submission holds. The Ikuto Hidaka/Chris Hero match from EVOLVE 2 was amazing because it had that rough edge to it. Both men didn't go in hitting their spots cleanly all the time; there was an illusion that yeah, maybe they really were fighting instead of just going through a choreographed routine. I don't pretend to say that the clean and crisp execution of a move is bad, because I like that too. I like all styles of wrestling, to tell you the truth. But there is something raw and visceral and satisfying when every once in awhile, you get guys giving in and saying "Flip it, let's look like we're really scrapping."

That being said, what happened Monday was probably the furthest thing from a cooperative effort to look like the two guys were really beating the Poopie out of each other as possible. Riley Flip up, plain and simple. He sandbagged Swagger, and in turn, he Flip the sequence up. I don't know if it was intentional or whether Riley is still super, super green, but let's not rush to give him credit here. The guy we should be lauding though is Swagger. Whether it was sheer will, anger, frustration or adrenaline, he took Riley over and executed a move that would have looked awful if he didn't overcome the Varsity Villain's inertia.

There's taking lemons and turning them into lemonade, and then there's taking lemons, smashing them into curd and making them into delicious tarts. With the effort that Swagger put out Monday night, I'd say he deserves credit enough for the more laborious task. He made a bad situation into a visual spectacle. I'd say that earned him a round of applause, or at least it should have.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Sandbag Swagger Pffft Empty Re: Sandbag Swagger Pffft

Post by Crimey Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:57 pm

Riley botched it badly on Monday, but it didn't really matter since nobody was paying attention to the match at all. I loved Dolph ripping into Lawler though, who's comebacks were terrible.

I'm a big fan of Swagger, and I think he's also got one of the best looking finishers and I think it's such a shame that he isn't used better, I suppose it's positive that he seems to be the go to guy when they need a fairly decent TV match, but he deserves a lot more. I'm hoping with this Vickie angle that Swagger will finally get pushed back up the card.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:02 pm

Totally agree with this, when I saw it I couldn't believe Riley would sandbag him, mainly because he doesn't have the right and secondly because Swagger would kick his balls backstage, I just thought that Riley was shown up to be unbelievably green and Swagger looked like one p1ssed off badass when he eventually delivered it.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:08 pm

I can see Riley getting an "injury" and going back to FCW for some more training. Given that a couple of months ago he was in a programme with the Miz it is amazing to think that they would have done this given the lack of in-ring skills he has!

While I think he has some skill on the mic does he have enough make it worth WWE persevering with him?

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm

We don't know the facts, It might be a case that Riley doesn't like Swagger or Swagger may of disrespected him before the match

OOR someone in the back of a higher power who doesn't like Swagger (which is plausible given his run or lack of one) and told Riley to do it, or it may of been just an honest mistake.

Anyway i've just watched the incident again and when the ref has JR's hat on and he just stands there for a second is funny as feck Laugh Laugh

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:44 pm

I doubt they told him to do it, I'm pretty sure sandbanging can cause injuries.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I doubt they told him to do it, I'm pretty sure sandbanging can cause injuries.

Stranger things have happened, If someone in power had a little word with him in his ear, a guy who wants to make it and do anything to be in the good books of course he would do it, Im just saying that is all.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:02 am

Riley would need to be a moron to try and sandbag someone while taking that kind of move, easiest way to break a neck

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:10 am

Im not saying he would but young guys imo would do stupid things to get ahead anyway Looking at it, it's just missed timed you can see Riley jump way too early before Jack was ready,

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:05 am

bretmeharty wrote:Im not saying he would but young guys imo would do stupid things to get ahead anyway Looking at it, it's just missed timed you can see Riley jump way too early before Jack was ready,

Perhaps more of an "Ask the Tart" question, but, what happens in situations like this? Is the guy performing the move supposed to call when he needs to other one to jump up, or are they supposed to have this kind of thing worked out beforehand?

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:50 am

If anyone did tell Riley to sandbag him you'd have to question how much sway that person would have since they wouldn't obviously be important enough to have Swagger job to Riley, I honestly don't think any higher ups on RAW would encouage something so unprofessional that could cause an injury on Live TV

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:53 am

the-gaffer wrote:If anyone did tell Riley to sandbag him you'd have to question how much sway that person would have since they wouldn't obviously be important enough to have Swagger job to Riley, I honestly don't think any higher ups on RAW would encouage something so unprofessional that could cause an injury on Live TV

Certainly agree with you there - frankly if someone asked him to do it and he was stupid enough to do it he deserved to get FE'd for it - dangerous and idiotic to just listen to someone like that.

I do still think that it was more likely that he botched it up though.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 7:24 am

Funny thing is I watched this with my girlfriend & trying to convince her it was Riley's fault was like nailing Poopie to a wall

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Thu 18 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

is sandbagging another word for botching?

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 18 Aug 2011, 9:53 pm

not quite say you try and powerbomb me and i dead-weight myself that's sandbagging

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:04 pm

psycho-gooner wrote:is sandbagging another word for botching?

Like fernando said, its just making yourself deadweight. Holly tried to do it to Lesnar way back when so Lesnar just dumped him on the top of his head, breaking Holly's neck.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

Samo wrote:
psycho-gooner wrote:is sandbagging another word for botching?

Like fernando said, its just making yourself deadweight. Holly tried to do it to Lesnar way back when so Lesnar just dumped him on the top of his head, breaking Holly's neck.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke OK

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:02 pm

Sandbagging

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content