The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robin Van Persie named Arsenal captain

+4
sodhat
samevans1
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Crimey
8 posters

Go down

Robin Van Persie named Arsenal captain Empty Robin Van Persie named Arsenal captain

Post by Crimey Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has been confirmed as the club's new captain. The 28-year-old Holland international has been at the club since May 2004 and takes the armband from Cesc Fabregas, who left for Barcelona this week. Manager Arsene Wenger told the official matchday programme: "He is a leader through the way he plays, through his attitude and through his desire to win. He's been at the club a long time and he's a technical leader as well."

Van Persie, who will be assisted by defender Thomas Vermaelen, said he was relishing the opportunity. "As captain, you are an ambassador for the club and I'm ready for that," said the Dutchman. "I've been in the game now for more than 10 years, so I know how this world works. You should always try to show respect. This is just basic stuff that all human beings should have in their life - just being nice to people. "It's the little things, like giving people a minute of your time in the street. You show them respect and live with your principles on life."

Van Persie will not lead Arsenal out against Udinese in Tuesday's Champions League qualifier because he is serving a one-match Uefa suspension.But he will take over when Liverpool visit the Emirates on Saturday for a Premier League match.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14539993.stm

He hardly screams captain or leader, certainly won't ever be at the same level as a Vieira, Keane or Gerrard. Just goes to show how much Arsenal miss real leadership quality on the pitch. He's also fairly injury prone which isn't something you want from your captain.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Robin Van Persie named Arsenal captain Empty Re: Robin Van Persie named Arsenal captain

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

two most injury prone players at the club as captains bar Roskicy

good shout!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Robin Van Persie named Arsenal captain Empty Re: Robin Van Persie named Arsenal captain

Post by samevans1 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:40 am

Vermalen might have been a better choice; but he is also often injured. Not sure what other options there were.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

It's probably too much at this stage, and I might get criticised, but I would have gone for Jack Wilshere.

Hearing him speak and following him on Twitter he seems passionate about his club, the game and is clearly very loyal to Wenger. Judging by Fabregas and Nasri jumping ship, I'd say he is automatic first team now too.

He certainly seems more of a 'leader' type than Van Persie, despite his being 19!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

Yep fair shout, I remember George Graham appointing Tony Adams at 21, and Wenger wasn't afraid to offer Cesc the armband at 22, perhaps Jack will be made captain in a year or two as you rightly say he appears to have the right attributes

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

I think it's a few seasons too early for Wilshire as he needs a season as an established number one before thinking about the captancy. Not sure how injury prone Vermaelen is, as in his 1st season he didn't get injured at all until right at the end, and it was that mysterious injury that kept him out for the whole of last season. So hopefully he'll put that behind him and be back to his indestructable best this season.

I'd think about Szczesny as captain. I agree though RVP isn't captain material, and neither was Fab or Gallas to be honest.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

personally i would of given it to bacary sagna , never seems to get injured and always consistent would be a very good captain

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

Good call Fernando - didn't even think of him

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

I'm not sure who you could have given it to instead of RVP.

Arsenal have a team of flair players rather than a squad of fighters with bite in their play.

Not sure I agree with RVP as captain. As the OP states, he doesn't scream leadership. Seems a little greedy with his choices at times and in on the treatment table far too often for me.

I would personally always prefer to have a Goalkeeper or Defender as my captain. They sit further back and see what is happening ahead of them and would have the ability to read more of the game.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

I don't think there is anybody in the Arsenal squad who I'd be happy with as captain, and that I think is a real problem. They lack any leadership.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down