The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summerslam big spoiler

+20
JoshSansom
bretmeharty
crippledtart
Crimey
Mr H
Kenny
NickisBHAFC
Buzzman
robbo277
Adam D
Holymiky
Gregers
Ent
Beer
sodhat
JamesLincs
BigPhil
HitmanOwl
theanimal316
Stonee21
24 posters

Go down

Summerslam big spoiler Empty Summerslam big spoiler

Post by Stonee21 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:54 am

What an ending that was!! Punk beats Cena even though Cena's foot was on the bottom rope, Kevin Nash returned and just jacknifed the rudey poos out of Punk and then Del Rio cashes in.

I have not marked out like that in ages!

Possible storyline of HHH wanting Del Rio as champ so he paid off Nash to return and powerbomb the winner so Del Rio could have an easy cash in?

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Summerslam big spoiler Empty Re: Summerslam big spoiler

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:55 am

The ending made so sense at all to me. I don't get it.

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:57 am

I hated the ending. The storyline was so hot between Punk and Cena, no need for all of that chaos. I just don't see ADR as champion at all

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonee21 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:01 am

It give the feud a new angle think about it.

Cena was screwed by HHH missing his foot on the rope so still has a claim to the title.

Punk was screwed by Nash and can feel he was screwed out of the title and still has a claim.

So now you have 3 men who will argue they should be champ, it also sets up a Punk vs HHH feud up nicely as he will suspect HHH of foul play considering it was Nash that screwed him.

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:03 am

This match could have made Punk a bonafide star but sadly he will slowly fall away.

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:08 am

I think it's baffling, but it could work well.

But I didn't know that the WWE would bring back Kevin Nash, he's not just ancient, he's a fossil! A relic! An unwelcome one at that.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:14 am

absolute rubbish imo

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:28 am

Debating about sting debuting but its fine if its nash. Del Rio will drop that at night of champions. Wonder in del Rio paid bash?

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:00 am

I don't understand why this had to happen now -- Del Rio had the briefcase and could have waited as long as they wanted him to, and they could have spent a little while building him up with good wins and showcasing him a little more. Instead they decided it can't wait, and that seems to be the biggest problem in Wrestling right now -- impatience. Every storyline seems to be rushed and they don't trust the fans to stick with a story without a quick payoff or instant gratification.

It looks a waste of opportunity to extend the Punk/Cena feud and to make Punk look strong. Even in winning initially, Cena wasn't actually beaten...just let him get pinned clean!

I expect HHH and Punk will feud now. I hope to God that HHH lets him go over...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

Kevin Nash? What did you think when you read that, Patrick Stewart......

🤦

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:46 am

Did miz get on the card?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:51 am

The ending was brilliant.

Cena has a legitimate claim he never lost the title.

Hunter looked shocked when Nash attacked, so who hired him? Stephanie? Del Rio? Cena?

Del Rio is champ walking into the first ever live raw from Mexico and will defend against Rey. Think about that money wise.

It was a perfect ending, now take off your iwc membership badges for a moment and just appreciate how hot this storyline is right now.

Del Rio is finally champion.
Punk was screwed by Nash for reasons not yet known.
Cena was screwed by Hunter.
Mysterio has a shot against his long time foe Del Rio for the title, after he was screwed out of it by Hunter.

Next ppv is night of champions, what match usually happens at noc? A six pack challenge.

Del Rio (c) vs Cena vs Punk vs Rey vs Miz vs R-Truth

4 superstars all with a legitimate claim to be champion, plus the champion before all of this happened in Miz, plus the number 1 contender before Punk in R-Truth.

Wonderful booking.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:57 am

Tbh I looked at the results on pwtorch from Caldwell and It seems like a good PPV. The 2 main event matches and the Barrett vs Bryan match looked th most strong. Its funny and you all may not believe me but it was only the other day I was wondering where Nash had got to! I don't have ad much resentment towards him as some may have though. As for Del Rio, I think this makes good sense he's finally got the big one after WWE seemed to hold off on him winning the WHC after he won the rumble. It may set up for a proper Punk face turn now. Looking forward to it completely.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:58 am

Yes I definitely agree Gregers!

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

To be fair, I reckon that HHH could come to the ring and take a huge dump, you know, really curl one out, and some of you would think it was great booking.

If TNA had done this, every one of you who hassaid its great booking would be condemning it.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

Hobo, not being funny but I watched TNA the other day and it didn't make much sense, I mean all of immortal has changed except bischoff hogan and gunner! So I doubt they would book something this good.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

Hobo wrote:To be fair, I reckon that HHH could come to the ring and take a huge dump, you know, really curl one out, and some of you would think it was great booking.

If TNA had done this, every one of you who hassaid its great booking would be condemning it.

laughing classic!

I just think WWE have made it more complicated than it needed to be here. Punk and Cena could easily have carried this feud without Del Rio or HHH muddying the waters. I'm not going to completely condemn it right now, I'll wait and see (and watch myself, later today), but I stick by my initial comment that everything feels haphazard, slapped together and rushed.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

Hobo wrote:To be fair, I reckon that HHH could come to the ring and take a huge dump, you know, really curl one out, and some of you would think it was great booking.

Agree.

Sorry, but why on Earth do we need Nash taking out the guy the company has been building up for weeks?

If he is the bodyguard for ADR i can think of 20 better people.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:14 am

I think the whole thing has been deliberately chaotic. First they have no Champions, then they have 2 Champions, now they have 1 Champion and 3 guys who all need a re-match, which isn't a great start to HHH's reign as COO.

I expect a screwy finish to tomorrow's Rey Vs Del Rio, and a fatal four way match at Night Of Champions. I hope they transition it into a Punk and Del Rio feud for the WWE Title, maybe with Cena feuding with the Rock (even if it is via satellite).

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:20 am

robbo277 wrote:I think the whole thing has been deliberately chaotic. First they have no Champions, then they have 2 Champions, now they have 1 Champion and 3 guys who all need a re-match, which isn't a great start to HHH's reign as COO.

I expect a screwy finish to tomorrow's Rey Vs Del Rio, and a fatal four way match at Night Of Champions. I hope they transition it into a Punk and Del Rio feud for the WWE Title, maybe with Cena feuding with the Rock (even if it is via satellite).

Even so, there is still a while to go before Cena vs Rock at Mania which means they have a fair amount of time to fill. There is only so many satellite videos that can be played!

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:22 am

Putting the ending to one side for a second, how good was Orton v Christian! Absolutely brilliant match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:26 am

Y I Man wrote:Putting the ending to one side for a second, how good was Orton v Christian! Absolutely brilliant match.

If you ignore another completely pointless title reign for Christian.....

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzman Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

Gregers wrote:The ending was brilliant.

Cena has a legitimate claim he never lost the title.

Hunter looked shocked when Nash attacked, so who hired him? Stephanie? Del Rio? Cena?

Del Rio is champ walking into the first ever live raw from Mexico and will defend against Rey. Think about that money wise.

It was a perfect ending, now take off your iwc membership badges for a moment and just appreciate how hot this storyline is right now.

Del Rio is finally champion.
Punk was screwed by Nash for reasons not yet known.
Cena was screwed by Hunter.
Mysterio has a shot against his long time foe Del Rio for the title, after he was screwed out of it by Hunter.

Next ppv is night of champions, what match usually happens at noc? A six pack challenge.

Del Rio (c) vs Cena vs Punk vs Rey vs Miz vs R-Truth

4 superstars all with a legitimate claim to be champion, plus the champion before all of this happened in Miz, plus the number 1 contender before Punk in R-Truth.

Wonderful booking.

EXACTLY! Cm Punk and Cena will probably still be leading the scene on Raw, but so many different angles and possibilities have been added and the one thing WWE has been over the last few years is predictable, that is most definately not been the case over the last couple of months.

Buzzman

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

Holymiky wrote:
robbo277 wrote:I think the whole thing has been deliberately chaotic. First they have no Champions, then they have 2 Champions, now they have 1 Champion and 3 guys who all need a re-match, which isn't a great start to HHH's reign as COO.

Even so, there is still a while to go before Cena vs Rock at Mania which means they have a fair amount of time to fill. There is only so many satellite videos that can be played!

I would probably have Cena work with Truth to really cement Truth's place as a main-eventer, but maybe have a little bit of involvement now and again from the Rock.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

Fantastic PPV

John Cena vs CM Punk - Another classic, the ending i thought was class and has obviously got a lot of people wanting to watch Raw tonight.

Randy Orton vs Christian - There best match yet. A bit shocked it was a clean Orton win and that Edge diddnt get involved. Still great match.

Wade Barret vs Daniel Bryan - The crowd were a let down for this match. It was a good match but the crowd made it seem like we were watching Yoshi Tastu vs Tyson Kidd on NXT.

Shaemuss vs Mark Henry - Amazing when they went through the barracade and to see the crowd reaction in front row Laugh Better than i expected

Divas match - Not to bad acctually i was shocked that Kelly won but i do think its only the matter of time until she loses the belt.

6 man tag match - Great start to the show. Very good match in my view.

Overall 14:95 well spent. Cheers for everyone that was on chatbox, was great speaking with you all.

Roll on Raw tonight !

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:23 am

Enjoyed Slam the matches were above average the chat on line was great , and while i dont really get why we need Nash in whatever role (bodyguard , enforcer ) i think it just makes CM Punk even more the people's champion .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

KINGKENNY7HEAVEN wrote:Enjoyed Slam the matches were above average the chat on line was great , and while i dont really get why we need Nash in whatever role (bodyguard , enforcer ) i think it just makes CM Punk even more the people's champion .

I would say punk is the exact opposite of te people's champion. He derided the people in his 'epic' promo, left with the title after selfish posturing about his contract and beat cena twice in screwy fashions.

Really the last 6 weeks have been a mess.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

I haven't watched it, but can't wait to hear Punk bury Nash on the pipebomb. There is so much ammo from Nash's past for Punk to drag up.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

Ent wrote:
KINGKENNY7HEAVEN wrote:Enjoyed Slam the matches were above average the chat on line was great , and while i dont really get why we need Nash in whatever role (bodyguard , enforcer ) i think it just makes CM Punk even more the people's champion .

I would say punk is the exact opposite of te people's champion. He derided the people in his 'epic' promo, left with the title after selfish posturing about his contract and beat cena twice in screwy fashions.

Are you joking ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:08 pm

KINGKENNY7HEAVEN wrote:
Ent wrote:

Are you joking ?

No, I'm not denying it hasn't been enjoyable and there have been some good matches but week after week the stars are contradicting their promos. Punk lambasts the crowd and says he is leaving, he returns a week later to save the crowd. Punk is the best in the world and is allowed to reference non kayfabe things, when he could be buried if others could do the same to him.

Orton is crazy, Christian has the title for 3 weeks (400% increase in reign), Miz doesn't get a singles match. Diesel is back for some reason, HHH gets the most tv time (to ruin r truths gimmick with his 'comedy')

Now punk is supposedly the people's champion, after winning the title by blindsiding the all American hero who had refused to cheat to beat him.

I feel bad for the guys who don't read the forums etc, god knows what they think is going on.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm

I thought it was a very good PPV, not quite as good as Money in the Bank, but all the matches were good and I don't think anybody came out looking weak.

I thought the six-man tag team match was just there to get the crowd warmed up, so in that way it was a success, I did think they should have given Del Rio the win, but now that he's champion and Rey is the challenger on Raw it makes sense to let Rey have a bit of momentum.

I was impressed with Sheamus vs. Mark Henry, it was a good match and a very nice spot which will hopefully keep the feud going with Sheamus going over Henry in the end. Sheamus got probably the best reaction apart from Cena and Punk as well all night. Glad as I am a big Sheamus fan.

Barrett and Bryan was a good match, but the crowd was a bit dead for this match which was dissapointing as they had been consistently good for the rest of the night. Interesting that Barrett got the win, but I can't see the feud ending there, I expect Barrett to chalenge Bryan for the briefcase now.

Randy Orton vs. Christian was a very good match, I'm not too bothered about the length of Christian's title run, but I think Christian didn't come out of it looking weak considering it was a clean pin because he took a real beating before he was finally pinned. I think, judging from the Edge promo, I wouldn't be surprised if Christian had a change of heart and turned face again, although that would leave only Mark Henry as a realistic heel challenger to Orton, with possibly Barrett in there as well.

CM Punk vs. John Cena wasn't as good as Money in the Bank, and I think that's fair enough, it had its moments though and the crowd was surprisingly good. I was glad CM Punk got the win, whether or not it was screwy, I still felt Punk came out of it looking good without making Cena look weak either. Obviously weird and shocking how Nash came out, but I'm not going to knock it until we see how it pans out, it was shocking which is always good considering how often WWE hints at something shocking and then nothing. Del Rio winning the championship is another strange one, I'm not sure he was ready for it, but at the end of the day Cena/Punk is very hot with or without the title, and I think it's unfair to criticize until we see where they take it.

Overall I'd give the PPV an 8/10, but I think it would probably have been a 7/10 if I wasn't excited about all the possibilites coming out of it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm

I'd give it a solid 7/10 at least it makes you want to watch raw.

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:42 pm

All I've heard for the past month or so is "wait and see where they go with it".

It's the same excuse that TNA has used for the past two years. It's turned into Eric Bischoff's catchphrase.

In all my years watching wrestling, the things I have liked have never been dependent on "where they go with it". Something is either good or it isn't. If I listen to an album and the first five songs are rubbish, I don't think to myself "it's ok, wait and see where they go with tracks six and seven". I think "this is a rubbish album".

WWE is in danger of alienating its casual audience, the viewers who aren't like us, who won't watch Raw and Smackdown regardless of how rubbish it is because they are just wishing for that perfect episode or that perfect PPV or perfect match or just a perfect fleeting moment that makes it all worthwhile. The TV ratings are going down dramatically every single week, because there are a lot of people who won't bother to wait and see where they go with it.

Ambiguity can be a really good thing at times and in limited doses, but presently WWE is resembling TNA where nobody seems to be a face or a heel, everything just gets more mysterious, and the explanation is not some masterplan but because the booking is clearly being done week to week so even they don't know how they are going to resolve this angle.

My opinion is that the booking is not good enough, and everyone is suffering as a result, most of all the people with the greatest chance to pull WWE out of this mess, specifically CM Punk.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

Davieswasacrippledtart wrote:

Ambiguity can be a really good thing at times and in limited doses, but presently WWE is resembling TNA where nobody seems to be a face or a heel, everything just gets more mysterious, and the explanation is not some masterplan but because the booking is clearly being done week to week so even they don't know how they are going to resolve this angle.

I did read a report yesterday that they were still finalizing the finish to the Cena/Punk match on the afternoon of summerslam, If true then these so called possibilities that have come out of it, I doubt have been written yet and making it up on the fly has been the biggest problem and why we get so inconsistent booking.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

It's only one angle where this happened though to be fair Crips, it's not even close to how bad TNA is where pretty much every character and every angle is ambiguous.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

But the problem Leak is that it is with the biggest and presumably most important angle that they have. There is no point in having a good mid card if you have a carp main event.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

I also think that a big problem in establishing people as faces and heels these days is the crowds choose whoever they like to cheer, they will cheer heels and boo faces and it ruins it for me. At the end of the day it should be like a pantomime, and to a certain extent the crowd should go by the script, it makes booking even harder for WWE when as soon as a heel gets any momentum going the fans start to cheer for him and they get a face turn, which means in the end we either have ambiguous characters and feuds or just the people fans genuinly dislike main eventing because they are the only ones to get a heel reaction.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I also think that a big problem in establishing people as faces and heels these days is the crowds choose whoever they like to cheer, they will cheer heels and boo faces and it ruins it for me. At the end of the day it should be like a pantomime, and to a certain extent the crowd should go by the script, it makes booking even harder for WWE when as soon as a heel gets any momentum going the fans start to cheer for him and they get a face turn, which means in the end we either have ambiguous characters and feuds or just the people fans genuinly dislike main eventing because they are the only ones to get a heel reaction.

Superb point.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

JoshSansom wrote:
invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I also think that a big problem in establishing people as faces and heels these days is the crowds choose whoever they like to cheer, they will cheer heels and boo faces and it ruins it for me. At the end of the day it should be like a pantomime, and to a certain extent the crowd should go by the script, it makes booking even harder for WWE when as soon as a heel gets any momentum going the fans start to cheer for him and they get a face turn, which means in the end we either have ambiguous characters and feuds or just the people fans genuinly dislike main eventing because they are the only ones to get a heel reaction.

Superb point.

It is a superb point, but you can't blame the crowd!

WWE has no moral compass whatsoever these days. One minute, Booker T is outraged by a heel and Michael Cole is praising them. The next, Cole is bashing the heel and Booker is praising them. As cynical as the fans were during the Attitude Era, there were not only defined faces and heels but there was also a voice of reason, Jim Ross, telling them who to cheer and who to boo.

The company also cannot help but have the babyfaces tear down each other's acts. Triple H thinks Punk is overrated, Punk thinks Rock is a suck-up, Rock thinks Cena is a phony, and so on. Rather than build up their babyfaces as admirable people, they tear them down.

And when the babyfaces aren't admirable, the contrast between face and heel isn't as great. It's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between a face and a heel because their morals are often so similar.

WWE also books its heels to be weak. Heel beat downs are a rarity, and even when they happen the babyface usually gets revenge a week later. Mark Henry's push has been refreshing because he has been kept strong and dominant. Sheamus should benefit from that if/when he finally slays the dominant Henry. But why should the fans be happy about it? Sheamus has been a bad guy for the past two years and now suddenly the fans are supposed to cheer for him. Yet there is no explanation as to why. What has changed within Sheamus' constitution?

You are totally right that better defined faces and heels would lead to better business, but don't blame the people cheering and booing. With the exception of John Cena, whose crowd reactions are pretty much unique in the history of the industry (and possibly indicative that the company has pushed the wrong man on top), I truly believe that if WWE presented its characters properly, with a trusted voice on commentary, they would get the crowd reactions they desire.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

It's true with Sheamus. Same appearance,same movement,same entrance. He was fighting heelish last night the moves he was doing. What has changed to make him face? He should have stayed heel for at least another year. He could have been the guy to attack punk and aligning himself with trips.

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

Sheamus is face by association.

Sheamus was a bad guy, powerbombing Sin Cara the last heel thing he did.

Sheamus faces a badder guy in Wade Barrett, therefore gets cheered a bit.

Sheamus faces an even badder guy in Mark Henry, therefore gets cheered. Unless Sheamus keeps on facing the likes of Mark Henry, Great Khali/Jinder Mahal, Christian and Cody Rhodes, he'll just be booed as soon as he faces a good guy.

Having said that, it's pretty similar to how Orton turned face. Still a bad guy, just facing badder guys.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

The best matches in recent times weren't face vs heel. Looking at Michaels' last three Wrestlemania matches (Flair and Taker twice) and CM Punk Vs Cena at money in the bank, there was no clearly defined face or heel.

I was in Houston for Wrestlemania 25 and Undertaker Vs HBK I had such a good atmosphere because half the crowd were behind Undertaker and half the crowd were behind HBK. It was like a genuine sporting event (imagine putting 35,000 Liverpool fans and 35,000 Manchester United fans in an inside stadium for a Liverpool Vs United game), where people choose who to support as opposed to being told who to support.

I'm not saying that everyone should be in wishy-washy tweenerville, but with the recent CM Punk Vs Cena fued, it almost seems like it is a battle between two ideologies, and the fans can choose which "hero" to get behind, Cena or Punk, and I think that is different, edgy and a little refreshing to be honest.

Personally, I've always been a bit of a Cena fan, I never understood all the stick he got and it seemed like saying you liked him was like telling the emperor he was naked, but in the last few weeks in particular he has shown a lot more in-ring skill. However I also really like what Punk is doing and I think Punk needed to go over Cena a lot more than Cena needed to go over Punk, so I was glad he won at Summerslam.

There is room for the traditional face and heel and I think adding a traditional heel in Del Rio could shake this feud up again, but at the moment there is absolutely nothing wrong with having two faces feuding.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

I am honestly very shocked to have read the amount of negativity surrounding last nights show.

I haven't personally watched it but from what I have read it seemed like a fantastic show. The under card was full of good quality matches and the two world title matches were fantastic. Can you tell me the last time that the WWE put on a PPV with that good a card/standard of matches?

I agree that it is another pointless title run for Christian but did you genuinely believe that he'd beat Orton? Randy is one of the top guys on the roster and has showed his ability in this feud with Christian.

Now, on to the WWE title match. John Cena once again seemed to put in a great performance with CM Punk being his usual fantastic self. The ending really does seem great with it leaving us the fan wondering what is coming next. I may be made to eat my own words and tonight's RAW could turn out to be a complete shambles but there really are only positives to come out from last nights match. It's ridiculous to claim that Punk has squashed by Nash when all that happened was Nash attacked Punk after a grueling 35 minute match. How is that squashing him? We could all be up in arms if Nash had been Punk in a straight one v one match up.

We now have so many different paths to go down with this story and I honestly am very much looking forward to RAW this evening.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by BloscarPit09-ASK_HIM Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:27 pm

robbo277 wrote:The best matches in recent times weren't face vs heel. Looking at Michaels' last three Wrestlemania matches (Flair and Taker twice) and CM Punk Vs Cena at money in the bank, there was no clearly defined face or heel.

I was in Houston for Wrestlemania 25 and Undertaker Vs HBK I had such a good atmosphere because half the crowd were behind Undertaker and half the crowd were behind HBK. It was like a genuine sporting event (imagine putting 35,000 Liverpool fans and 35,000 Manchester United fans in an inside stadium for a Liverpool Vs United game), where people choose who to support as opposed to being told who to support.

I'm not saying that everyone should be in wishy-washy tweenerville, but with the recent CM Punk Vs Cena fued, it almost seems like it is a battle between two ideologies, and the fans can choose which "hero" to get behind, Cena or Punk, and I think that is different, edgy and a little refreshing to be honest.

Personally, I've always been a bit of a Cena fan, I never understood all the stick he got and it seemed like saying you liked him was like telling the emperor he was naked, but in the last few weeks in particular he has shown a lot more in-ring skill. However I also really like what Punk is doing and I think Punk needed to go over Cena a lot more than Cena needed to go over Punk, so I was glad he won at Summerslam.

There is room for the traditional face and heel and I think adding a traditional heel in Del Rio could shake this feud up again, but at the moment there is absolutely nothing wrong with having two faces feuding.

100% agree with you there. Nothing quite like a wrestling match with an electric crowd- 50/50 split between the two.

BloscarPit09-ASK_HIM

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:09 pm

Robbo - the difference is that it works for a one off match like Taker v HBK (or even the MITB match that had a very "one-off" atmosphere to it) but they need to set out to follow the basic storytelling principles there after.

The MITB match should have set that feud on a great trajectory, meant that people looking back will have always said that was one of the great feuds of this era, only if they are able to keep it relatively strong and realistic.

For this there has to be a protagonist and an antagonist in there somewhere. Someone to cheer and someone to boo. Now I am not going to suggest that this won't be the case as things can change quite rapidly in this storyline, though there is no feeling of a clear storyline progressing and I don't get the feeling that if we look back on it in six months time that we will be able to say that there was much hindsight logic to it either.

Now Kevin Nash could be an inspired choice, a real "who'da thunk it" part of the jigsaw, but at the moment it looks as though a 53 year old man with a history for injuries is being relied upon as an important part of the biggest main event in years. If he gets injured the story could go from odd to farce!

ADR entering this also makes it even more chaotic - the key to successfully telling a story on TV (in my opinion) is for people to clearly know what is going on at any moment and to want to see the next development.

Stories should begin in the first couple of episodes after a PPV and react some kind of climax at the next PPV. Instead Summerslam was treated as a filler and the fans were mugged out of $55 because the real point of interest will not be what happened there, but what happens afterwards.

I watched it via an alternative route to SKY ... Whistle ... but after watching that ending and the initial surprise of it all I was left with a feeling of deflation, deflation that an event that is supposed to reveal everything just revealed a Pandora's Box full of more boxes. If I had paid for that I would not have been particularly happy about it.

The rest of the card was such a mixture as well. The opening match felt like a Raw main event and on a card light on matches it was not, in my opinion, good enough for Summerslam. It would have been better to dump the fat man in the dress and have two singles matches instead.

Sheamus v Henry was OK though despite being a Sheamus fan I echo the comments about nothing about him having changed. The ladies match was filler really as well.

I skipped the musical bit and thought it was ridiculous that they had adverts in a PPV costing over $50, quite shocking.

Barrett v Bryan was a good contest though the crowd had very little atmosphere and it reinforces the feeling in me that neither of these guys are yet main event ready, they couldn't generate crowd reactions and I think need to learn how to work a WWE crowd (as opposed to independent crowd) more.

No midcard titles or tag titles on the line was an absolute shame and really says a lot for where the WWE's thinking (or lack thereof is) frankly there was enough time to have Ziggler v Riley on the card and I think it could have made a fairly good opener and would have given Riley more experience working big events.

Orton v Christian was undoubtedly the high spot of the card. They showed once again that they can make a great match and that gimmick matches can still be good matches instead of complete spotfests. I did mark out at the RKO on the steel steps even though it was fairly obvious - and at Edge's arrival, a part of me thought it was going to mean a long term EvC feud and his injury being kayfabe, not sure whether it was the case and what it means now. Will Edge come out and say that Christian fought honourably and therefore turn him face again? Surely for storyline purposes this would be ridiculous given how much effort Christian has put into turning heel and how much saliva Randy has had to swallow in doing so.

I think that it is OK for Randy to win as a feud with Mark Henry (if that is the route) for the title would have some meaning, while a continuation of Randy v Christian would produce great matches. They need to come up with something new for that angle if they do, problem is that they seem to have put all their thoughts into Raw and have then said "... SD main event? ... Just book last month's again".

The main event itself was the case of waiting for what HHH would do - the action was strong though I am not sold on the ending unless they are going to make something of HHH being the "doofus" who got the decision wrong. I was glad Cena let Punk go over him again (even with the leg on rope thing) and think it does help Punk's position and shows that he is trusted in the company. If not Cena would have won and ADR cash in on him.

The WWE title scene is a mess and frankly they need someone to have a decent, strong, reign. From ADR winning via MITB to Punk/Cena, Mysterio, Cena for a few months and Miz's weak reign there hasn't been a strong, lasting WWE champion in quite a while.

Not sure if ADR has enough to hold it to WM, it will be interesting to see how that plays out though it leaves, in my mind, too many unanswered questions to be a PPV as opposed to TV show.

I think that they had their timing wrong, they should have booked Summerslam one week later and had more build up instead of five weeks to NoC.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm

The only downside to Orton winning is that Christian should get a rematch (or god forbid Hitmanowl will have a Poopie fit), but theres no one else on SmackDown at that level to feud with. Sheamus is busy with Henry, Barrett with Bryan, Kane and Big Show are both out. This would have been the perfect time to bring the Miz over to feud. I dont think I could handle the 5th PPV in a row with Christian vs Orton.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm

I expect Christian will get a rematch because Michael Cole mentioned an "automatic rematch clause" at Summerslam for Mysterio.

Now it could be that they merely sweep it under he carpet by saying that he has it on a SD TV show, though I think that they will continue with it as it is the best SD has at the moment. I would like to see some kind of new element added, Christian with a sneaky heelish manager would be interesting or recruiting a bodyguard etc. They could even go with a lawyer character similar to IRS

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down