The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MD golf equipment

+4
Redrage
goodwalkspoiled
barragan
drive4show
8 posters

Go down

MD golf equipment Empty MD golf equipment

Post by drive4show Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi all,

has anyone on here tried an MD Golf driver? I'm thinking of changing my current driver and I keep hearing good things about the MD. I've currently got the 3 wood in my bag and it is excellent.

Would like some first hand, independant feedback if anyone has tried one?

Last edited by drive4show on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

drive4show

Back to top Go down

MD golf equipment Empty Re: MD golf equipment

Post by barragan Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:10 pm

what's your current driver?

i also have the 3wood, though it spends its time in the wardrobe at home! it was a quick fix replacement for a 4 wood i smashed the face in on the range. i'll need to give it a go again, it was pretty useful when i first got it, but i lost confidence with it as i was not playing regularly at the time.

i've been noticing that the gap between the hybrid and driver is pretty large on windy days. the flight i got off the 3 wood was much lower and more penetrating.

i've been thinking about picking up a g15 one to match my driver and hybrid though so might not have a chance to get back in the bag!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 pm

ban_bam

I've got a Taylormade R9 fitted with a Fubuki stiff shaft. It works well for me but sometimes it just feels a bit clunky. I get decent distance and flight from it but not the feedback I'm looking for.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:42 pm

i see. used to think callaway drivers felt good at impact but can't bring myself to try them nowadays they look so hideous. if titleist weren't so darned expensive their current range would be my choice. ping are a reasonable compromise. good luck testing the md, be interested to hear what you think.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Haven't D4S but they seem to get very good write ups in the golf mags. Sure if they were called Taylor Made or Ping etc etc they would possibly get even better write ups ...
goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah, saw an advert the other day saying the MD came out top in a test ahead of the R11 and the G15!!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:20 pm

D4S if you like the 3 wood, then I am pretty sure you would like the driver.
If you don't want the new white one, you can pick this one off for roughly £60.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MD-GOLF-SUPERSTRONG-TI-DRIVER-9-5-STIFF-PROFORCE-SHAFT-/180699930547?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item2a128e1fb3

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:15 am

HAve heard only good things about MD golf. I bought one of their Norman Drew wedges last year as a temporary replacement fr my cleveland whilst being reshafted was a great club still gets the odd outing.

My Old man uses one of the superstrong drivers, he converted to it recently from his R9 hits the ball fabulously with it great ball flight and distance

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks Mav, that's the sort of feedback I was hoping for. What does he think of the sound and feel from it? I find my R9 feels a bit 'tinny' or 'clunky' at times.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 pm

I get the impression that MD is one of those companies that would win a lot of "blind" tests against other brands but golfers are so snobbish about labels that they are not as big as they should be. I'd say a test without prejudice would be the way forward and let the club do the talking!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:53 pm

sharrison01 wrote:I get the impression that MD is one of those companies that would win a lot of "blind" tests against other brands but golfers are so snobbish about labels that they are not as big as they should be. I'd say a test without prejudice would be the way forward and let the club do the talking!

As in my original post, the 3 wood is fantastic. My mate has a Titleist 910 3 wood and he says there is nothing to choose between them (apart from the adjustability of course). I took my Callaway Diablo 3 wood out of my bag to make way for the MD quite simply because it is better.

thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:41 pm

drive4show wrote:Thanks Mav, that's the sort of feedback I was hoping for. What does he think of the sound and feel from it? I find my R9 feels a bit 'tinny' or 'clunky' at times.

Funny enough have spent some time with old man Mav tonight as he doesn't have sky so has been watching the pga with me. We were discussing what he likes about the club compared to the R9. The conclusion he came to was that the MD felt so much more solid and explosive off the face. With a much more sweet sound, always though his R9 sounded like hitting a ball with a bean can. So he ould recommend the club highly.

by sharrison01 on Thu 11 Aug 2011 - 21:22

I get the impression that MD is one of those companies that would win a lot of "blind" tests against other brands but golfers are so snobbish about labels that they are not as big as they should be. I'd say a test without prejudice would be the way forward and let the club do the talking!

I would agree with that and so would most golf magazines when you read through the test issues MD comes out right at the top end and always get good press. I thnk the reason they are not as big is in the companies mantra for refusing to pay for excessive marketing and paying of pro's to play and promote their product. Instead focusing on building a good reputation amongst the games real players who they want to impress the club golfers. By doing this they can use high quality materials and produce a great product as they do not have to pay sky high endorsement fees

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Thought i'd bring this one back to the fore, as the pro at our club has decided to expand his MD range, and I popped in there today as i'm back home, excuse to mrs mav was putting green despite the rain, real reason stock up on some essentials for return to play next week and swift half in the clubhouse.

Whilst in the shop I had a look at some of the MD stuff and remembered the thread on here. Had a look at the new MD White headed driver, a most impressive beast, when sat next to the TM Burner white head it sits far better than the TM. They also had a set of Seve Icon forged irons, they seem to sit beautifully and have the look of a classic blade at address.

WHile i Have not hit any of these I think they are fantastic for what they are and do at a fraction of the price of the larger brands

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:10 pm

I've never used the drivers but have a full set of Players wedges that seem as good as the ones that are twice the price. Loads of spin and great feel.

I first got into them from playing with a club pro who used their irons and told me that they were as good as the big brands. As he shot a 66 he backed it up! Joking apart it was a great advert for their clubs.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:33 am

Not the MD Driver.. but I did pick up a new MD 60 degree wedge ( http://www.mdgolf.co.uk/wedge-nv-stanbounce.html )last week. Excellent club so far (used it around the Montgomerie course at Carton House yesterday to good effect), and about half the price of the equivalent Cleveland, Mizuno or Titleist
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down